Probable Lottery picks in the 2021 Draft:

which league has better competition?
Both players were/are involved with some of the bigger Euroleague clubs but PapaG's was a far more well known one I think. The leagues aren't terrible but it's international ball, many times the best players are ones that never made it in the NBA or fizzled out at one point. The difference between the two is that Papagiannis didn't get the minutes, Sengun is and he is producing. According to the roster list I've seen Papagiannis was on a team with more than a few players that were in that NBA bubble like Miroslav Radjulica who has had a couple of NBA stints. I didn't watch much of them since there wasn't supposed to be a potential Kings prospect from there, lol. In the end Papa G had some talent but for some reason it hasn't connected for him. Sengun does look like a much better prospect. That said, workouts helped Papa G jump big time, same could happen to Sengun after seeing his international competition in this draft. He simply looks more the part thaa the other options outside of Giddey that I've seen thusfar.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Both players were/are involved with some of the bigger Euroleague clubs but PapaG's was a far more well known one I think. The leagues aren't terrible but it's international ball, many times the best players are ones that never made it in the NBA or fizzled out at one point. The difference between the two is that Papagiannis didn't get the minutes, Sengun is and he is producing. According to the roster list I've seen Papagiannis was on a team with more than a few players that were in that NBA bubble like Miroslav Radjulica who has had a couple of NBA stints. I didn't watch much of them since there wasn't supposed to be a potential Kings prospect from there, lol. In the end Papa G had some talent but for some reason it hasn't connected for him. Sengun does look like a much better prospect. That said, workouts helped Papa G jump big time, same could happen to Sengun after seeing his international competition in this draft. He simply looks more the part thaa the other options outside of Giddey that I've seen thusfar.
are there currently any players in the NBA that used to play in either one of those International leagues?

are there currently any players in the NBA that used to play in either one of those International leagues?
A bunch. Bogdan played in Turkey. And Euroleague teams compete for the title. I haven't followed much international ball recently, again, since the Kings likely won't be picking someone from there if mocks follow along but Turkey is known for decent ball.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
A bunch. Bogdan played in Turkey. And Euroleague teams compete for the title. I haven't followed much international ball recently, again, since the Kings likely won't be picking someone from there if mocks follow along but Turkey is known for decent ball.
name me a few others beside Bogdan

name me a few others beside Bogdan
Well, I was originally referring to Euroleague in general and again most of these leagues feature NBA fodder types anyway but, Cedi Osman I think. I watched him quite a bit before he came to the NBA. Ersan Ilyasova. I remember Khem Birch at one point did I think. I'm pretty sure it was the same league Papa G was in. And there's been others through time that have. Then who knows about 2nd rounders, G-leaguers and call ups and all that who got/get brief stints. It's way too hard to follow nowadays. All in all, not where you typically find your next stars on average but there are NBA level players there most years. And players who bounce around come back and forth like Jimmer did.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well, I was originally referring to Euroleague in general and again most of these leagues feature NBA fodder types anyway but, Cedi Osman I think. I watched him quite a bit before he came to the NBA. Ersan Ilyasova. I remember Khem Birch at one point did I think. I'm pretty sure it was the same league Papa G was in. And there's been others through time that have. Then who knows about 2nd rounders, G-leaguers and call ups and all that who got/get brief stints. It's way too hard to follow nowadays. All in all, not where you typically find your next stars on average but there are NBA level players there most years. And players who bounce around come back and forth like Jimmer did.
I don't think using a top 10 pick on a Cedi Osman or Ersan Ilyasova type of player isn't the wisest investment the Kings can make here. I know we want some other things to talk about but surely there are better prospects that will be more intriguing for the Kings, in an ideal world Monte may start drafting players that play defense since the Kings really haven't done that in 15 seasons

Last edited:
I don't think using a top 10 pick on a Cedi Osman or Ersan Ilyasova type of player is the wisest investment the Kings can make here. I know we want some other things to talk about but surely there are better prospects that will be more intriguing for the Kings, in an ideal world Monte may start drafting players that play defense since the Kings really haven't done that in 15 seasons
The strength of any Euro prospects draft positioning depends on the year. This is a pretty iffy draft for the most part on paper after about 10-12 or so. Getting merely a rotation player isn't ideal with where the Kings hopefully draft and I would hope if there is interest from Monte he at least trades down like Vlade would. As it is, Sengun is a 2nd rounder but you never know workouts can factor in with drafts like that look like this one.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The strength of any Euro prospects draft positioning depends on the year. This is a pretty iffy draft for the most part on paper after about 10-12 or so. Getting merely a rotation player isn't ideal with where the Kings hopefully draft and I would hope if there is interest from Monte he at least trades down like Vlade would. As it is, Sengun is a 2nd rounder but you never know workouts can factor in with drafts like that look like this one.
isn't this draft supposed to be a strong draft even after the top 5 prospects are off the board?

I don't think using a top 10 pick on a Cedi Osman or Ersan Ilyasova type of player isn't the wisest investment the Kings can make here. I know we want some other things to talk about but surely there are better prospects that will be more intriguing for the Kings, in an ideal world Monte may start drafting players that play defense since the Kings really haven't done that in 15 seasons
The Turkish league is well respected as a competitive league. If you have the Athletic read Hollinger’s article on him. I’m not saying the Kings should or shouldn’t draft him but at 8-10 he probably ought to be in the consideration set.

No one has Sengun mocked as a second rounder given his production in Turkey.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
The Turkish league is well respected as a competitive league. If you have the Athletic read Hollinger’s article on him. I’m not saying the Kings should or shouldn’t draft him but at 8-10 he probably ought to be in the consideration set.
who would you consider drafting him over?

isn't this draft supposed to be a strong draft even after the top 5 prospects are off the board?
I think it's simmered a bit. Or at least it should have. Teams will have to decipher what's what at a certain point probably after pick 6 or around there. Look at Jalen Johnson and BJ Boston. At one point these were top 10 prospects. And they still might very well be. Who knows.

No one has Sengun mocked as a second rounder given his production in Turkey.
NBAdraft.net has had him there all year. Quite a few of the readups I saw had him as a 2nd rounder. He's rising though recently with a boost in PR and the Jokic talk and like I said, I think he could very well rise above that and thought that once I started watching vids a few weeks back.

who would you consider drafting him over?
Depends who is available and how they look in workouts. In the case of the young bigs I want to see how the measure. Also I’m of the opinion the Kings have to go front court so that impacts your choices:

Assuming we are drafting 8-10, I think players you need to consider are:
Franz Wagner
James Johnson
Kai Jones
Usman Garuba
Moses Moody
Josh Giddey
Alperun Sungun

NBAdraft.net has had him there all year. Quite a few of the readups I saw had him as a 2nd rounder. He's rising though recently with a boost in PR and the Jokic talk and like I said, I think he could very well rise above that and thought that once I started watching vids a few weeks back.
Pretty much every recent mock I have seen has him in the teens to twenties and he is rising given his production in Europe. What he measures at the combine will be telling. At 18 he could still be growing so we shall see how he measures....

Woo has him at 17....

“After entering the season somewhat off the radar, Sengun has put together a historically prolific season for a true 18-year-old at any level, let alone Europe, and has built a pretty urgent first-round case. He remains an exceptionally tricky eval, as his game is unorthodox and fairly simple, relying primarily on deep post catches, soft hands and strong finishing skills to rack up points in the paint. Sengun doesn’t have great size or length and may not be able to succeed at center full-time due to defensive concerns, but there’s optimism he’ll eventually space the floor, which would add a key layer of offensive utility. “

Nba draft.net has Kispert at 10 and Williams at 12 which almost no one agrees with.

Pretty much every recent mock I have seen has him in the teens to twenties and he is rising given his production in Europe. What he measures at the combine will be telling. At 18 he could still be growing so we shall see how he measures....

Woo has him at 17....

“After entering the season somewhat off the radar, Sengun has put together a historically prolific season for a true 18-year-old at any level, let alone Europe, and has built a pretty urgent first-round case. He remains an exceptionally tricky eval, as his game is unorthodox and fairly simple, relying primarily on deep post catches, soft hands and strong finishing skills to rack up points in the paint. Sengun doesn’t have great size or length and may not be able to succeed at center full-time due to defensive concerns, but there’s optimism he’ll eventually space the floor, which would add a key layer of offensive utility. “
Yeah, like I said he's rising recently and I don't think he'll end up a 2nd rounder, or he shouldn't.

Nba draft.net has Kispert at 10 and Williams at 12 which almost no one agrees with.
This is a sketchy draft at a certain point so different boards all over the place. Boone doesn't have Sengun on his most recent 1st round mock and Parrish has him in that bubble range at 25. Like I said, serious Pagagiannis range potential from him though.

People are seriously sleeping on Flip Petrusev (6'11 235) they have him going in the 40's which is a joke he's a 1st round talent. I did not watch him at Gonzaga but in the ABA he's been a monster and won MVP and turned around what was the 2nd worst team last year into a above average squad. He put up 23.6ppg 7.6rpg on 579. FG% and nearly 42% from 3 on 3 attempts per game. He showed a face up game and the ability against bigger guys (fully grown men and former NBA centers) to put it on the deck drive by them and finish with dunks. He's shown he's easy to play with and has good understanding of basketball. He has fantastic hands, good confidence and can finish above the rim in pick and rolls.

He's gone up against big boys as well former NBA guys like Kuzmic. Mika, Onuaku, Willie Reed, Jonnie O'Bryant as well as plenty of super physical local guys where he can't just dominate with size alone

He models his game after Vuc but there are difference of course I would say he's not as big/strong and does not have as good post game but far more mobile/quick and calling him a back up at best in the NBA like experts have is an insult. I actually think he can play PF as well for bursts (similar to Bjelica here).

His main weaknesses at the moment are he will need a little bit more strength which with his build is easy, he's a not a shotblocker and he needs to get his left hand a bit better.

Obviously like everyone we have been wrong about prospects but I think he's a 10 year starting C type player and whoever gets him in the 2nd round will have got a steal.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
There are two ways a draft can be iffy. One is because there's a severe drop off of talent at some point and they all start to look the same as far as upside goes. The other, is when there's so much talent that they all look similar as far as upside goes. This draft falls into the latter. There is a ton of talent in this draft, especially on the wing. So it becomes a pick your poison situation. All these players have something that makes them stand out, and then on taking a closer look, they all have some flaws.

It's been a long time since I've seen a player that didn't have a perceived flaw coming out of college. I have my own personal way of making decisions on a players ability, and for the most part, it works for me. But there is no perfect way. We're dealing with human beings here, not robots. Some things are hard to predict. So you throw the dice and hope for the best outcome. Which brings me to Alperen Sengun.

I've watched a lot of film on this player, and some of his games. https://www.livebasketball.tv/home I've done a lot of research on this player, and as best I can come up with, he's somewhere between 6'9" and 6'9.5" in shoes. If someone has info disputing that, I would love to have the reference. His skill set, which is excellent, is as a center. He can shoot the three a little, but he's a definite liability defensively on the perimeter. We've struggled as a team with Holmes at center at times when he goes up against some of the bigger centers in the league, so how do you think we would do with Sengun out there, who is a bit shorter, and less athletic than Holmes.

Sengun is very skilled in the low post, and is also a very good rebounder. So I see him as a small ball center. Now if he can grow another two or three inches, then the situation changes. But he's not going to become more athletic, and his athleticism and height limit his future in the league. Now that's just my opinion, and I hope he proves me wrong. But I don't think the Kings can afford to gamble on this pick, and if they were to gamble, then do it on a player with a higher ceiling. Like Keon Johnson or Scottie Barnes. And I'm not suggesting you gamble, but what I would do if I were to gamble.

Here's a suggestion. Pick out your top 20 players. Regardless of the current mock drafts. Then go through them one by one and ask this question about each one. Do I think this player could eventually be a star in the league? If not, then put him on the rotational player list. If the answer is yes, then ask a second question. Do I think this player could eventually be a super star? If the answer is yes, then put him on that list, and if the answer is no, then put him on that list. At the end of this procedure go through each list and prioritize them in the order you value them

I understand that many of you haven't watched these players play an actual game, or if you did, you came to the party late, and saw maybe a game or two. If that's the case, then maybe you got lucky and saw a true representation of that player. Or not! For instance, if you only saw Kispert play in his last two games, your probably not to enthused about him. But those two games might have been his worse two games all year long. I lost track of how many times I saw Gonzaga play this season, and I'm sure I have a completely different opinion of Kispert than you might. He was probably the most clutch player on the team. Why his shot failed him in the tournament I have no idea, but I can't throw out everything I know about him because of those two games.

So, do I think Kispert can be a star? Borderline! Maybe in the sense that Buddy is considered a star of sorts. He's a better shooter than Buddy was coming out of college, and a far better defender as well. A superstar? Nope! Last year I asked myself whether Haliburton could be a star, and my immediate answer was yes! Could he be a superstar? A borderline yes? Only two other players got a yes to both questions, Ball and Edwards, with me being skeptical of Edwards because of his poor decision making and lack of interest on defense.

I'm not going to suggest who we should pick until I know the exact order of the draft. But whether we pick in the top five, or at fourteen, we should get a very good basketball player. There are players like Boston who is very talented and who will slide down the draft board because of his lack luster year. But remember what Immanuel Quickley did at Kentucky his freshman year, and then what he did his sophomore year. Night and day difference. It just took him a year for the lights to come back on. Now he's a part of the reason the Knicks are heading for the playoff's.

There are two ways a draft can be iffy. One is because there's a severe drop off of talent at some point and they all start to look the same as far as upside goes. The other, is when there's so much talent that they all look similar as far as upside goes. This draft falls into the latter. There is a ton of talent in this draft, especially on the wing. So it becomes a pick your poison situation. All these players have something that makes them stand out, and then on taking a closer look, they all have some flaws.

It's been a long time since I've seen a player that didn't have a perceived flaw coming out of college. I have my own personal way of making decisions on a players ability, and for the most part, it works for me. But there is no perfect way. We're dealing with human beings here, not robots. Some things are hard to predict. So you throw the dice and hope for the best outcome. Which brings me to Alperen Sengun.

I've watched a lot of film on this player, and some of his games. https://www.livebasketball.tv/home I've done a lot of research on this player, and as best I can come up with, he's somewhere between 6'9" and 6'9.5" in shoes. If someone has info disputing that, I would love to have the reference. His skill set, which is excellent, is as a center. He can shoot the three a little, but he's a definite liability defensively on the perimeter. We've struggled as a team with Holmes at center at times when he goes up against some of the bigger centers in the league, so how do you think we would do with Sengun out there, who is a bit shorter, and less athletic than Holmes.

Sengun is very skilled in the low post, and is also a very good rebounder. So I see him as a small ball center. Now if he can grow another two or three inches, then the situation changes. But he's not going to become more athletic, and his athleticism and height limit his future in the league. Now that's just my opinion, and I hope he proves me wrong. But I don't think the Kings can afford to gamble on this pick, and if they were to gamble, then do it on a player with a higher ceiling. Like Keon Johnson or Scottie Barnes. And I'm not suggesting you gamble, but what I would do if I were to gamble.

Here's a suggestion. Pick out your top 20 players. Regardless of the current mock drafts. Then go through them one by one and ask this question about each one. Do I think this player could eventually be a star in the league? If not, then put him on the rotational player list. If the answer is yes, then ask a second question. Do I think this player could eventually be a super star? If the answer is yes, then put him on that list, and if the answer is no, then put him on that list. At the end of this procedure go through each list and prioritize them in the order you value them

I understand that many of you haven't watched these players play an actual game, or if you did, you came to the party late, and saw maybe a game or two. If that's the case, then maybe you got lucky and saw a true representation of that player. Or not! For instance, if you only saw Kispert play in his last two games, your probably not to enthused about him. But those two games might have been his worse two games all year long. I lost track of how many times I saw Gonzaga play this season, and I'm sure I have a completely different opinion of Kispert than you might. He was probably the most clutch player on the team. Why his shot failed him in the tournament I have no idea, but I can't throw out everything I know about him because of those two games.

So, do I think Kispert can be a star? Borderline! Maybe in the sense that Buddy is considered a star of sorts. He's a better shooter than Buddy was coming out of college, and a far better defender as well. A superstar? Nope! Last year I asked myself whether Haliburton could be a star, and my immediate answer was yes! Could he be a superstar? A borderline yes? Only two other players got a yes to both questions, Ball and Edwards, with me being skeptical of Edwards because of his poor decision making and lack of interest on defense.

I'm not going to suggest who we should pick until I know the exact order of the draft. But whether we pick in the top five, or at fourteen, we should get a very good basketball player. There are players like Boston who is very talented and who will slide down the draft board because of his lack luster year. But remember what Immanuel Quickley did at Kentucky his freshman year, and then what he did his sophomore year. Night and day difference. It just took him a year for the lights to come back on. Now he's a part of the reason the Knicks are heading for the playoff's.
Yeah, you have to look a little deeper on some players. I tend to first look at how a player relates to the modern game in terms of what they are at their best if they aren't the consensus value pick or show star potential. Then yes, the expectation becomes that of a rotation player at some point hopefully or a trade asset down the line. Drafts are also in a strange state since so many teams have been in similar spots (hello Kings) for so long. Vlade drafted to the point that over the years you had almost a complete rotation of players at different positions that could fill out a full unit. Of course, most of them came and went because the goal was "win now". Yet, they didn't win. I'm not sure the Kings are in a position to really make too many considerations with a lower lotto pick if it comes to that. I'm not sure they can even simply let a player drop and go for the value since so much of the rotation is possibly already spoken for. They didn't go the opposite direction and towards a rebuild. They kind of semi-committed to sticking it through. Maybe that changes on draft night, who knows. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see them move that pick for more win now moves. On the flipside I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to dump some of their key guys and build around Hali/Fox/picks. We do know this team obviously needs size on the wing and defense. That might be attainable in the draft, if they are in range of course.

“he's somewhere between 6'9" and 6'9.5" in shoes”

I have heard 6’ 10” which might indicate he is still growing. Given he is 18 that isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

“Like Keon Johnson or Scottie Barnes.”

Barnes will be gone by the 10th pick where we will likely pick. Keon has the athletic ability but limited IQ. Historically that has been the Kings model and not successful.

According to some Europeans on RealGM:

Sengun's current measurements are:

Height: 6-10 without shoes on
Wingspan: 7-0
Weight: 243 pounds (down from 270 a year ago)

That's not undersized in any league. It's especially not undersized in the current NBA, where many power forwards and centers are smaller than that. And he is only 18 years old, so he will get bigger.

His body frame is naturally very large, as he weighed 270 pounds, just a year ago. So not getting too big is actually the concern with him, not that he is undersized.

@bajaden btw you can become more athletic if you lose 30lbs of baby fat and replace it with muscle. It is the path Jokic took.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
According to some Europeans on RealGM:

Sengun's current measurements are:

Height: 6-10 without shoes on
Wingspan: 7-0
Weight: 243 pounds (down from 270 a year ago)

That's not undersized in any league. It's especially not undersized in the current NBA, where many power forwards and centers are smaller than that. And he is only 18 years old, so he will get bigger.

His body frame is naturally very large, as he weighed 270 pounds, just a year ago. So not getting too big is actually the concern with him, not that he is undersized.

@bajaden btw you can become more athletic if you lose 30lbs of baby fat and replace it with muscle. It is the path Jokic took.
You get no argument from me on losing weight. Anybody remember what Marc Gasol looked like when he came into the league. Look, if Sengun is actually 6'10" in his bare feet, then he's at least 6'11" or a tad more in shoes. And if so, I'm on board. I've watched him play and he's a very talented player, and almost unstoppable within 5 feet from the basket. He obviously needs to work on his perimeter jump shot, but he's only 18 years old. Hopefully he'll attend the combine and we'll get some accurate measurements on him.

I would remind people that Moses Moody is only 18 years old as well...

You get no argument from me on losing weight. Anybody remember what Marc Gasol looked like when he came into the league. Look, if Sengun is actually 6'10" in his bare feet, then he's at least 6'11" or a tad more in shoes. And if so, I'm on board. I've watched him play and he's a very talented player, and almost unstoppable within 5 feet from the basket. He obviously needs to work on his perimeter jump shot, but he's only 18 years old. Hopefully he'll attend the combine and we'll get some accurate measurements on him.

yeah Moody is on my short list

Why would 1 or 2 inches of height make such a difference if everything else is the same?

Why would 1 or 2 inches of height make such a difference if everything else is the same?
For special players, see Draymond or Barkley, it doesn’t matter. For most, it does.

One player, who I think would benefit from an inch is Bagley. He plays small against slightly taller/longer dudes like Ayton and JJJ. A little shorter, a similar or worse motor, and poor fundamentals and he struggles.

For special players, see Draymond or Barkley, it doesn’t matter. For most, it does.

One player, who I think would benefit from an inch is Bagley. He plays small against slightly taller/longer dudes like Ayton and JJJ. A little shorter, a similar or worse motor, and poor fundamentals and he struggles.
given we are likely at 10 or 11, I think Giddey, Barnes and Wagner are all gone.

given we are likely at 10 or 11, I think Giddey, Barnes and Wagner are all gone.
I’ve seen Wagner mocked anywhere from 7-mid twenties. I’m not sure what to expect with him but I’m very interested in his fit with the team as currently constructed. He’s a smart player with some length that is going to disrupt passing lanes like his teammates in the backcourt