Probable Lottery picks in the 2021 Draft:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jalen Johnson: SF/PF, 6'9", 220 Lbs, 6'10.5" wingspan, Freshman, Duke.
22.5 mpg - 11.9 ppg - 53.8% fgp - 44.4% 3pp - 66.5% ftp - 6.5 rpg - 2.4 apg - 1.3 bpk

I have Johnson as a lottery pick, as do most of the mocks. But there are some who have him going somewhere between 15 and 22. If the Kings keep playing like there are now, I hope Johnson slips down into that area, but I'll be shocked if he does. I think he's a top ten player, probably top 8. He got off to a rough start with his 3pt shot, but after returning from a foot injury, he's brought his average up to the current 44.4%. Not sure which is the real Johnson when referring to his shot, but he doesn't take many, so it's hard to get a good read on that part of his game.

Personally, I love his game. He comes with a complete set of tools in his tool box. He can pass the ball like a PG. He has excellent handles for a 6'9" player. He has a solid mid-range game and has great touch around the basket. He's an outstanding rebounder. He's also a very good defender who flies all over the floor filling holes where needed, including defending the post and blocking shots. Throw in that he has excellent BBIQ, and you have a player I would love to see in a Kings uniform.

One should remember that Johnson has played a lot of basketball in the last two years, missing one year due to eligibility, and then with Covid 19 bringing a halt to everything. Despite that, he hasn't missed a beat lately. This is a kid with a lot of potential, who could be a star in two to three years. I would certainly put him in the class of a high floor, and a high ceiling. From everything I've read about him, he has an excellent work ethic. He's one of the players this season that I love to watch play. He's a two position player who can probably guard three positions, maybe four.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ayo Dosunmu: PG/SG, 6'5", 175 Lbs, 6'6" wingspan, Junior, Illinois.
34.5 mpg - 21.2 ppg - 48.6% fgp - 41.1% 3pp - 82.7% ftp - 6.4 rpg - 5.1 apg - 0.9 steals per game.

Dosunmu is a borderline lottery pick. To me he is a lottery pick, but being a junior will likely affect his draft status a little. I have him down as a combo guard even though he plays PG for Illinois. He's as good off the ball as he is with the ball in his hands. He's a dangerous catch and shoot player and although his shot form is a bit unusual, he has a fairly quick release. He has outstanding handles and comes with a lot of shake and bake with the ball. While he's not an elite athlete, he can get anywhere he wants on the court and has a vicious crossover. He reminds me of Jamal Crawford a bit in that regard.

He has very good BBIQ and good court vision. He's not a flashy passer, but always seems to make the right pass at the right time. Despite his lack of weight, or muscle, he's fearless when attacking the basket, and he's a good finisher. He's also a good defender and better at fighting through picks than one would think. He's an excellent help defender, and once again, despite his lack of strength, he's a very good rebounder for his position. There's no doubt he's the one most responsible for Illinois success this season. A lot of Kofi Cockburn's success, especially in the P&R is because of Dosunmu.

Dosunmu is another player that would fit nicely on the Kings. He has all the attributes the Kings are looking for, and being a Junior, he's more ready to play than some of the others that are ranked higher. He has a very high floor, but likely a low ceiling. That doesn't mean he won't become better over time, I just don't see possible superstar attached to him, but never say never. At worse I see him as a future starter at either SG or PG for an NBA team. He's always working on his game, and he hates to lose. Those kind of players are usually successful.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Ziare Williams: SF, 6'8", 185 Lbs, 6'10.5 wingspan, Freshman, Stanford.
30.4 mpg - 12.1 ppg - 36.8% fgp -31.1% 3pp - 83.7% ftp - 5.5 rpg - 2.6 apg - 1.0 steals.

I really like Williams and think he can be a special player. I think he's definitely a lottery pick, probably late in the lottery between 10 and 14. His draft status might have been hurt a bit by his slow start with his shooting. He couldn't shoot a pea into the ocean for the first few games. Some of it was poor shot selection and probably some if it was rust from the long layoff. In truth, he's a little on the raw side offensively and tends to play at warp speed a little too much. However, he's a very good athlete and that tendency to hustle all the time translates well to the defensive side of the ball, where I think he could be a lock down defender in the future.

Williams has decent form on his shot and a quick release, and when you consider his 83.7% freethrow percentage, it bodes well for the future. He's a good passer and a decent to good rebounder despite his rather frail looking body. He definitely needs some time in the weight room. He has good handles, but gets a little loose with the ball at times. I think he has a very high ceiling and in time could be one of the better players in the NBA. I admit that I'm biased, but my gut tells me this kid could be special.

He's likely a one and done player, but you never know with Stanford players. Over the years some very good players have opted to stay for more than one year at Stanford. However, it's been a while since Stanford has had a 5 star, blue chip player on their team, so who knows? Williams is a talented kid. If he can become a consistent shooter and get stronger, the sky's the limit for him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Greg Brown: SF/PF, 6'9", 205 Lb's, 6'10" wingspan, Freshman, Texas.
22.1 mpg - 11.4 ppg - 43.0% fgp - 33.8% 3pp - 65.5% ftp - 7.6 rpg - 1.2 blks

Brown is an explosive athlete who plays above the rim. He's loaded with potential and not without some established skills. He got off to a slow start with his overall offensive game, missing everything except dunks, which in his case are usually quite spectacular. In his first six games, he shot a blistering 20.8% from the three and 37.7% overall. However in the last ten games, he's shot 41.4% from the three and 46.0% overall. That's quite an improvement.

His overall game needs polish in almost every area. He gets a little sloppy with his handle and is mostly a straight line dribbler. He hasn't shown much of a proclivity to pass the ball not even averaging one assist a game. He needs to work on his free throw shooting and he needs to get stronger. With Brown your betting on his long term potential, and believe me, there's a lot of potential there. He's certainly a fun player to watch. He plays with a flair.

Brown shows the potential to be a very good defender, even at the basket where he has shown shot blocking ability. He has good lateral quickness, and appears to have good defensive instincts as well. He's a very good rebounder with a very good second leap. He's an aggressive player, who sometimes plays too fast, which is better than playing with his head in the clouds. Will Brown be a star in the NBA? Well, I think he as as much potential as almost anyone else in this draft, so maybe!

If he puts in the work, and realizes that he can't get by totally on his athleticism, the sky is the limit. I have him as a lottery pick somewhere between 10 and 14. So it's possible he could slide out of the lottery, but I doubt it. It's possible that he could be there when we pick, I'd have no problem taking him. He runs like a deer, and can jump out of the building. What's not to like?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kispert seems like a great fit but judging by where the team appears to be talent wise I wonder if we should be thinking bigger
Well, not sure what you mean by bigger. Who you pick will be largely decided by where you pick. So in the event we pick somewhere between 10 and 16, you have to decide who is the best player available at that point. Kispert may be the player. Of course we won't know until the actual draft when we'll know whose available. I suppose you could reach for a freshman who has slid down the board but who has a lot of potential. Personally, I tend to go with the player who has already proven himself, which Kispert has.

Lets say you decide to draft B J Boston instead. That means you sit and wait for the next couple of years hoping that he'll eventually be as good or better player as Kispert is right now. That could be the way to go, but it's more of a gamble. There are some players that I would gamble on in this next draft, but right now, Boston isn't one of them..

Well, not sure what you mean by bigger. Who you pick will be largely decided by where you pick. So in the event we pick somewhere between 10 and 16, you have to decide who is the best player available at that point. Kispert may be the player. Of course we won't know until the actual draft when we'll know whose available. I suppose you could reach for a freshman who has slid down the board but who has a lot of potential. Personally, I tend to go with the player who has already proven himself, which Kispert has.

Lets say you decide to draft B J Boston instead. That means you sit and wait for the next couple of years hoping that he'll eventually be as good or better player as Kispert is right now. That could be the way to go, but it's more of a gamble. There are some players that I would gamble on in this next draft, but right now, Boston isn't one of them..
Obviously, it would be nice to draft high enough to get Kuminga or Cunningham. They will likey be the first 2 picks though. I would be thrilled to get Mobley as well. He would give a mobile center that can block shots & rebound.

Ziare Williams: SF, 6'8", 185 Lbs, 6'10.5 wingspan, Freshman, Stanford.
30.4 mpg - 12.1 ppg - 36.8% fgp -31.1% 3pp - 83.7% ftp - 5.5 rpg - 2.6 apg - 1.0 steals.

I really like Williams and think he can be a special player. I think he's definitely a lottery pick, probably late in the lottery between 10 and 14. His draft status might have been hurt a bit by his slow start with his shooting. He couldn't shoot a pea into the ocean for the first few games. Some of it was poor shot selection and probably some if it was rust from the long layoff. In truth, he's a little on the raw side offensively and tends to play at warp speed a little too much. However, he's a very good athlete and that tendency to hustle all the time translates well to the defensive side of the ball, where I think he could be a lock down defender in the future.

Williams has decent form on his shot and a quick release, and when you consider his 83.7% freethrow percentage, it bodes well for the future. He's a good passer and a decent to good rebounder despite his rather frail looking body. He definitely needs some time in the weight room. He has good handles, but gets a little loose with the ball at times. I think he has a very high ceiling and in time could be one of the better players in the NBA. I admit that I'm biased, but my gut tells me this kid could be special.

He's likely a one and done player, but you never know with Stanford players. Over the years some very good players have opted to stay for more than one year at Stanford. However, it's been a while since Stanford has had a 5 star, blue chip player on their team, so who knows? Williams is a talented kid. If he can become a consistent shooter and get stronger, the sky's the limit for him.

Yeah I like Williams. He is a bit old for a Freshman and he will likely go in the 6-9 range. He is going to be similiar to Paul Williams in this draft but won’t jump the top 5.

Have you looked at the Wagner kid? I think he could also be a good target for us but we can’t draft lower than 8-9 if we want a shot at either of them.

Yeah I like Williams. He is a bit old for a Freshman and he will likely go in the 6-9 range. He is going to be similiar to Paul Williams in this draft but won’t jump the top 5.

Have you looked at the Wagner kid? I think he could also be a good target for us but we can’t draft lower than 8-9 if we want a shot at either of them.
Patrick Williams? Are you saying Ziaire will sneak up draft boards in a similar way or comparing their games?

Both have strong two way potential but Patrick Williams is more versatile defensively while Ziaire has more offensive potential as he's good on or off the ball.

22.5 mpg - 11.9 ppg - 53.8% fgp - 44.4% 3pp - 66.5% ftp - 6.5 rpg - 2.4 apg - 1.3 bpk

I have Johnson as a lottery pick, as do most of the mocks. But there are some who have him going somewhere between 15 and 22. If the Kings keep playing like there are now, I hope Johnson slips down into that area, but I'll be shocked if he does. I think he's a top ten player, probably top 8. He got off to a rough start with his 3pt shot, but after returning from a foot injury, he's brought his average up to the current 44.4%. Not sure which is the real Johnson when referring to his shot, but he doesn't take many, so it's hard to get a good read on that part of his game.

Personally, I love his game. He comes with a complete set of tools in his tool box. He can pass the ball like a PG. He has excellent handles for a 6'9" player. He has a solid mid-range game and has great touch around the basket. He's an outstanding rebounder. He's also a very good defender who flies all over the floor filling holes where needed, including defending the post and blocking shots. Throw in that he has excellent BBIQ, and you have a player I would love to see in a Kings uniform.

One should remember that Johnson has played a lot of basketball in the last two years, missing one year due to eligibility, and then with Covid 19 bringing a halt to everything. Despite that, he hasn't missed a beat lately. This is a kid with a lot of potential, who could be a star in two to three years. I would certainly put him in the class of a high floor, and a high ceiling. From everything I've read about him, he has an excellent work ethic. He's one of the players this season that I love to watch play. He's a two position player who can probably guard three positions, maybe four.

not a huge fan of a kid who changes school in high school and then opts out of his team mid year and his team plays better when he is gone. As someone said he has quit on two teams not sure why his NBA team won’t be a third.

Patrick Williams? Are you saying Ziaire will sneak up draft boards in a similar way or comparing their games?

Both have strong two way potential but Patrick Williams is more versatile defensively while Ziaire has more offensive potential as he's good on or off the ball.
Move up the draft board. Was hoping Patrick Williams would fall to us at 12. He didn’t come close. Ziaire isn’t getting past 8-9 I would guess.

H
Hegot off to a rough start with his 3pt shot, but after returning from a foot injury, he's brought his average up to the current 44.4%. Not sure which is the real Johnson when referring to his shot, but he doesn't take many, so it's hard to get a good read on that part of his game.
I'm not sold on Johnson's outside shot. It doesn't pass the eye test and he only took 18 of them in 13 games at Duke. Statistically a college player's 3pt% hasn't been as good of an indicator as the combination of their FT% and 3PA per game.

Johnson only took 1.4 3's per game and shot just 63.2% from the charity stripe. But surprisingly he didn't get to the line much (2.9 FTA) and all of these numbers come from a pretty small sample size given games cancelled due to Covid, Johnson's injury, and now opting out of the rest of the season.

SO if he's going to be preparing for the draft his top priority is working on his outside shot. I think that (assuming he stays healthy) will make or break him as an NBA player.

He was in my top 3 of prospects going into this college season because I think big playmakers (like Cade as well) can be much better on the next level with more spacing and better shooting around them. But it's hard not to be disappointed about his time with Duke.

I'm not sold on Johnson's outside shot. It doesn't pass the eye test and he only took 18 of them in 13 games at Duke. Statistically a college player's 3pt% hasn't been as good of an indicator as the combination of their FT% and 3PA per game.

Johnson only took 1.4 3's per game and shot just 63.2% from the charity stripe. But surprisingly he didn't get to the line much (2.9 FTA) and all of these numbers come from a pretty small sample size given games cancelled due to Covid, Johnson's injury, and now opting out of the rest of the season.

SO if he's going to be preparing for the draft his top priority is working on his outside shot. I think that (assuming he stays healthy) will make or break him as an NBA player.

He was in my top 3 of prospects going into this college season because I think big playmakers (like Cade as well) can be much better on the next level with more spacing and better shooting around them. But it's hard not to be disappointed about his time with Duke.
Johnson left his IMG team and when Coach K moved him to the bench he quit the team there also. He is not a player I would touch with a lottery pick. Too many other talented players.

Scottie Barnes is one of the most fun prospects that I've seen in the last couple years. He's a true big wing creator that I think will have defensive versatility guarding the 2-4. There's incredibly exciting defensive potential if you pair him with Hali on the wing and you keep Richaun as your rim protector.

The shooting is a real concern, but don't think I really care. You can find great shooting every single off-season on the cheap. Scottie Barnes skill-set doesn't come around all that often (mostly just in star players).

Johnson left his IMG team and when Coach K moved him to the bench he quit the team there also. He is not a player I would touch with a lottery pick. Too many other talented players.
Meh. LaMelo Ball left HS to play in Lithuania and with his brother (who left UCLA after the shoplifting incident) then played his senior year in Ohio, decommitted from UCLA over role and eligibility concerns, played in a league that his dad created, and then spent a season in Australia.

Not apples to apples but there were similar concerns about Ball's baggage, including having to deal with LaVar but now he'll be ROY and looks like a star.

I'm not saying Jalen Johnson will follow a similar path, just that I wouldn't write him off. That's why teams do their due diligence on players on and off the floor. Lots of top prospects change high schools more than once. I don't like it but it's become common. I also don't like college kids bailing on the remainder of the season to prep for the NBA or NFL but that also is becoming more common.

Coach K had moved Johnson to the bench. He was likely only going to hurt his draft stock at that point. Colleges use student athletes and pro teams only cater to stars. Everyone else is more or less fungible. Hard for me to blame a kid for do what he thinks is in his best interest.

By the time the draft rolls around we'll have a better sense of how teams view Johnson's skills AND the choices he's made.

Scottie Barnes is one of the most fun prospects that I've seen in the last couple years. He's a true big wing creator that I think will have defensive versatility guarding the 2-4. There's incredibly exciting defensive potential if you pair him with Hali on the wing and you keep Richaun as your rim protector.

The shooting is a real concern, but don't think I really care. You can find great shooting every single off-season on the cheap. Scottie Barnes skill-set doesn't come around all that often (mostly just in star players).
I'm a big Scottie Barnes fan but unless Fox makes a jump with his outside shot a lineup of Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Holmes (or Bagley) and one other player would only have one plus shooter in Haliburton, who doesn't really create his own shot. Maybe two if the fifth player is Hield or another wing that shoots it well.

That said, depending on where the Kings draft, Barnes' talent might be impossible to pass on if he's still on the board.

The biggest problem in this draft is the lack of shooting for me. Here's some of the top prospects with their 3pt % /3PA/ FT %.

1. SF Cunningham 44.6/4.6/ 84.2
2. SF/PF Kuminga 21.9/5.3/63 (6 games)
3. C Mobley 34.6/1.2/70.4
4. PG Jalen Suggs 34.8/3.3/74.3
5. SG Jalen Green 22.4/4.8/72.7 (6 games)
6. F Jalen Johnson 44.4/1.4/61.3
7. SF Williams 22.9/3.8/82.2
8. SG Johnson(ten.) 27.0/1.8/70.7
9. PG Cooper 22.8/4.8/82.5
10. SF Kispert 45.7/5.9/ 87.7
11. SG Bouknight 32.6/5.4/82.2
12. SG Moody 37.7/4.8/82.4
13. F Barnes 25.8/2.1/54.9
14. C Jackson 0/0/71.6
15. SF Wagner 36.5/3.3/85.4

Last edited:
The biggest problem in this draft is the lack of shooting for me. Here's some of the top prospects with their 3pt % /3PA/ FT %.

1. SF Cunningham 44.6/4.6/ 84.2
2. SF/PF Kuminga 21.9/5.3/63 (6 games)
3. C Mobley 34.6/1.2/70.4
4. PG Jalen Suggs 34.8/3.3/74.3
5. SG Jalen Green 22.4/4.8/72.7 (6 games)
6. F Jalen Johnson 44.4/1.4/61.3
7. SF Williams 22.9/3.8/82.2
8. SG Johnson(ten.) 27.0/1.8/70.7
9. PG Cooper 22.8/4.8/82.5
10. SF Kispert 45.7/5.9/ 87.7
11. SG Bouknight 32.6/5.4/82.2
12. SG Moody 37.7/4.8/82.4
13. F Barnes 25.8/2.1/54.9
14. C Jackson 0/0/71.6
add Wagner to this list.

Meh. LaMelo Ball left HS to play in Lithuania and with his brother (who left UCLA after the shoplifting incident) then played his senior year in Ohio, decommitted from UCLA over role and eligibility concerns, played in a league that his dad created, and then spent a season in Australia.

Not apples to apples but there were similar concerns about Ball's baggage, including having to deal with LaVar but now he'll be ROY and looks like a star.

I'm not saying Jalen Johnson will follow a similar path, just that I wouldn't write him off. That's why teams do their due diligence on players on and off the floor. Lots of top prospects change high schools more than once. I don't like it but it's become common. I also don't like college kids bailing on the remainder of the season to prep for the NBA or NFL but that also is becoming more common.

Coach K had moved Johnson to the bench. He was likely only going to hurt his draft stock at that point. Colleges use student athletes and pro teams only cater to stars. Everyone else is more or less fungible. Hard for me to blame a kid for do what he thinks is in his best interest.

By the time the draft rolls around we'll have a better sense of how teams view Johnson's skills AND the choices he's made.

I'm a big Scottie Barnes fan but unless Fox makes a jump with his outside shot a lineup of Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Holmes (or Bagley) and one other player would only have one plus shooter in Haliburton, who doesn't really create his own shot. Maybe two if the fifth player is Hield or another wing that shoots it well.

That said, depending on where the Kings draft, Barnes' talent might be impossible to pass on if he's still on the board.
Ball didn’t quit on his team mid season or exhibit poor body language when coached. I equate Johnson to Jaden McDaniels who fell quite a way.

I guess, but 5 man units are overrated for how much they're actually on the floor together in the first place. You most likely are closing with Holmes or Bagley at the 5 anyway, which would add another wing/shooter to the lineup. I'm much more in favor of adding elite skills/talents (Elite defense/big wing creator) and figuring out how to piece role players around it. Fox/Hali/Barnes would be an exciting combination of playmaking and defensive potential.

With building any team around Fox, you need shooting around him. Most of the top guys in this years’ draft struggle with it. Now that we’ve actually committed to Fox as a franchise player with a 5yr deal, do we consider draft fit? Also, can the Kings afford to sit around and try to develop raw talents?

Next season, it’ll be his 5th season and he’ll only be 24. However, how many more losing/development seasons can we have with him?

I see some parallels with the Cousins’ tenure right now. Cousins’ 5th season was the season where Malone got fired(it could possibly be Fox’s 3rd coach in 5 years after this season). It’s also the year Cousins made his first All-Star appearance. Despite career highs across the board, people were already talking about how he’s not a winning player and that we need to move on from him. Fox isn’t as good as Cousins was, but I think it’s fair to start considering Fox’s projectory and long-term development with this team.

This draft has a lot of high ceiling players, but most of them are going to take at least 2 years of developing before they can positively contribute to a winning team(opposite of Halliburton and more like Bagley’s development).

Do we take BPA? I don’t like the fit of Scottie Barnes next to Fox and Halliburton.

I also wonder if BPA is a sg are we going to take him? Let’s say we end up drafting 5/6 and Cade, Evan, Kuminga and Green are off the board. Are we taking Jalen Suggs?
if you are in the lottery you take BPA long term. You work it out from there. Now trading down a couple spots is acceptable. If we are at 5 then Suggs could be a trade down for us.

The best hope is we get high enough to grab one of ideally Cade, Evan or Kuminga. If we are at 6 I like Williams as BPA and a good fit. Defensive guys can be found later in the draft. You want skilled players with high IQ.

I also wonder if BPA is a sg are we going to take him? Let’s say we end up drafting 5/6 and Cade, Evan, Kuminga and Green are off the board. Are we taking Jalen Suggs?
One other point. The chances of us drafting 5 is really really low. I don’t think we are bad enough to get to 3-4. You have to assume you will either land 1-4 or slip 1-2 spots.

For example if you go to Tankathon, Houston OKC sits in the 5 spot and out of 10 tries they only ended up 5th once. So for better or worse your scenario has a very low probability of happening.

One other point. The chances of us drafting 5 is really really low. I don’t think we are bad enough to get to 4. You have to assume you will either land 1-4 or slip 1-2 spots.
before the season I predicted we would be 10-12 but a few teams have done better than expected. Charlotte (thanks Gordon and ball) New York (thanks defensive coach) San Antonio (I thought they would trade vets). If we don’t unload Barnes, my guess is we finish with a better record than Okc and Orlando. So that could put us about 8th before the drawing.

before the season I predicted we would be 10-12 but a few teams have done better than expected. Charlotte (thanks Gordon and ball) New York (thanks defensive coach) San Antonio (I thought they would trade vets). If we don’t unload Barnes, my guess is we finish with a better record than Okc and Orlando. So that could put us about 8th before the drawing.
yeah I’m hoping we are smart enough to trade Barnes and end up around 5 or 6. That gives us a reasonable shot at the big 4 and hopefully Williams as a back up plan. Do I think we will do it. No, I think Vivek has us perpetually slotted into 8-10 hell but one can hope.

Ideally the Kings get lucky in the lottery and get #1. Cunningham, Fox, and Hali would be quite a trio of playmakers. If Bagley can continue to improve (specifically his defense, strength, and outside shot) then the ability to slot him at C with a knockdown shooter as the fifth starter then that's a very solid core.

DQJ, Woodard, Hield (if he's not dealt), and Holmes (if he's resigned) is a very solid bench. Add a FA backup PG as an upgrade to CoJo and I'd be excited to watch that team next season.

My #2 option is Kuminga but there are a lot of potential studs in this draft, most of whom need to develop a consistent outside shot to be a star. As much as I'm worried about increasing red flags with Jalen Johnson, if he could consistently hit from 3 he could be one of the best players in this draft.

The trading deadline and next off-season will be huge for McNair and this Kings team.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I would probably actually prefer Suggs more than Green at this point. Suggs has at least shown some ability to play off the ball whereas that remains a big hurdle for Green to clear. The smart choice would be to trade down a bit to the 7/8/9/10 range and nab one of Barnes/Ziaire (still possibly my favorite prospect in the class)/Johnson or, assuming that we wound up with an additional pick in the 2021 draft from a trade down or a vet trade at the trade deadline, just take BPA there and nab a BJ Boston (at his point so thoroughly trashed by sports media that he could somehow still be available at the end of the first round) or Josh Giddey.

Regarding Lamelo and UCLA, it wasn't so much his role nor his usage. It was his brother LilAngelo. LilAngelo and a few teammates got busted for shop lifting in China. All three got suspended indefinitely. Lavar thought UCLA should've treated LilAngelo differently for the China shop lifting incident, so he basically pulled LilAngelo out of school and sent Lamelo overseas. The indefinite suspension turned out to be one year. Just Lavar doing Lavar things.

And the thing about Lamelo was everyone around the family/UCLA knew he'd be the best of the three brothers. LilAngelo should've played football.