Predict who will be the Kings starting Center next year!

Who will be the Kings Starting Center Opening night?

• Marvin Bagley

• Harry Giles

• WCS

• Steven Adams

• Thomas Bryant

• Dewayne Dedmon

• DeMarcus Cousins

• Nikola Vucevic

• DeAndre Jordan

• Someone else, who?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, 4 out of the 5 starting spots in the Kings lineup looks to be locked up (barring a surprise that we don't resign Barnes).

The starting Center spot is up for grabs this off season and with free agency and trades season coming up in less than a week.

So who do you guys think will be the missing link in the Kings starting lineup come opening night? Let's see who can correctly predict who we can realistically get to start at Center come next opening night!

Also, if you can post what you think it will take for the Kings to sign or trade for that player, that would be great!

Last edited:
Although I want Brook Lopez, with Milwaukee clearing cap space during the draft and the Lakers reportedly interested, BLo may be out of reach.

I'm predicting Thomas Bryant will be the Center the Kings nab with an offer that Washington won't match, because they want to keep Bobby Portis. He has ties to Luke Walton, who gave him his first crack at the NBA while with the Lakers.

Young big man with upside and a developing 3 point shot. Plays with great energy and enthusiasm, that we haven't seen in our center position for some time. He fits the age arc of our young core too.

I'm thinking an offer to Bryant in the 4 years/ $48-$56 million range may get him signed and not matched by Washington.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Obviously this is waaaaaaay premature, but I went with Dedmon.

My reasoning is basically this:
Bagley will be the starting PF
Giles will not be starting, at least at the beginning of the season
WCS will not be on the team as he is (through his agent) evidently adamant about leaving
Steven Adams is not likely to be a King as the Thunder do not appear to be desperate (enough) to dump him for just tax relief
Vucevic/Horford (via "someone else") are probably going to sign large deals with teams with more cachet than us
Cousins is the opposite of a marriage made in heaven. We've already divorced once, don't see us rekindling that one on either side.

That leaves Jordan/Bryant/Dedmon/Someone Else (not Horford). Between those options, Dedmon seems the perfect fit. Over the past two years he has really established himself in Atlanta as a solid, if low-usage, mid-minutes (25 per game) option in the post with the ability to stretch the floor, but his age and pedigree suggest to me he'll likely have to look for his next stepping stone with a rising team (on a solid contract) rather than go straight to a contender (on the cheap, if at all). So...Dedmon is my guess. He's not my #1 option but in terms of mutual fit he seems right.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
DeMarcus. Because if I wish hard enough, it might just come true.

And also because I have no idea at all what is up Vlade’s sleeve.

I think Kings throw their wad of cash to Vucevic, 1 min after Barnes verbally gets his His contract
Fox,Buddy,Barnes,Marvin, Vuc Is our starting 5 that will take us into our second golden age

He is the best fit, Bogi,Bjelly,Vlade and Peja can get it done
I think Vivek will pay the tax to keep the 5 together
If it takes all the cap - dont care

Fox,Yogi,Mason
Buddy,Bogi,Guy
Barnes,Corey Brewer. James
Marvin,Bjelly,Swanigan
Vucevic,Giles,Mo wagner

I also think the Kings will make Vuc a massive offer, if he excepts quien sabe.
After reading some of the arguments for Dedmon, I hope we save some cash and go that direction instead. That should leave us with enough to address another need as well.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I'll say Bagley because that means they were able to land Harris and keep Barnes but for some reason I feel like it will be Bagley because there were no other options. Lol.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If he settled for that, and Barnes came back on a discount, that would give them some wiggle room to play with too.
My thing on Vucevic is this. With Orlando he was getting 17 shot attempts per game. I think with us he will be getting more like 12. So question is will everyone be happy at 14 pts 10 reb vs 20pts? People will look at ppg and say he wasn’t worth it. When in fact he is same player just less shots. Is a 14/10 guy worth 25 mil?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Obviously this is waaaaaaay premature, but I went with Dedmon.

My reasoning is basically this:
Bagley will be the starting PF
Giles will not be starting, at least at the beginning of the season
WCS will not be on the team as he is (through his agent) evidently adamant about leaving
Steven Adams is not likely to be a King as the Thunder do not appear to be desperate (enough) to dump him for just tax relief
Vucevic/Horford (via "someone else") are probably going to sign large deals with teams with more cachet than us
Cousins is the opposite of a marriage made in heaven. We've already divorced once, don't see us rekindling that one on either side.

That leaves Jordan/Bryant/Dedmon/Someone Else (not Horford). Between those options, Dedmon seems the perfect fit. Over the past two years he has really established himself in Atlanta as a solid, if low-usage, mid-minutes (25 per game) option in the post with the ability to stretch the floor, but his age and pedigree suggest to me he'll likely have to look for his next stepping stone with a rising team (on a solid contract) rather than go straight to a contender (on the cheap, if at all). So...Dedmon is my guess. He's not my #1 option but in terms of mutual fit he seems right.
My thinking is Giles would be best served coming off the bench for both pf/c positions. I have mixed feelings on him getting the keys as the starting center ever because of the knees. I’d be less worried if we had better talent in front of him. Like a 3 big man rotation sounds good to me. Randle/Giles/Bagley would be nice to have locked up for the next 4 years

My thing on Vucevic is this. With Orlando he was getting 17 shot attempts per game. I think with us he will be getting more like 12. So question is will everyone be happy at 14 pts 10 reb vs 20pts? People will look at ppg and say he wasn’t worth it. When in fact he is same player just less shots. Is a 14/10 guy worth 25 mil?
It is not just about the stats. If those 14/10 came with around 4 assits and around a block and a steal per game then yes I would be pretty happy with that.

Plus you get a player who can fill in the offensive void if one of the scorers gets injured and misses game. Last year when Bagley got injured, we looked a lot worse. In that scenario if you had players who can pick up the bigger uage rate and fill in that void, you carry on a lot easier than without that player.

Look at Gasol in Toronto as an example. There is no reason wy he can't get you 20 a night with a bigger usage rate but he doesn't get you anywhere near that because someone else is doing the scoring. Doesn't make him any less valuable to the team.

The strength of the team is determined by the quality of its depth. Players will have to sacrifice their game to be a very good team. If they are after stats then they go to bad teams. If they want to be a winner, their sacrifice their game.

Entity

Hall of Famer
It is not just about the stats. If those 14/10 came with around 4 assits and around a block and a steal per game then yes I would be pretty happy with that.

Plus you get a player who can fill in the offensive void if one of the scorers gets injured and misses game. Last year when Bagley got injured, we looked a lot worse. In that scenario if you had players who can pick up the bigger uage rate and fill in that void, you carry on a lot easier than without that player.

Look at Gasol in Toronto as an example. There is no reason wy he can't get you 20 a night with a bigger usage rate but he doesn't get you anywhere near that because someone else is doing the scoring. Doesn't make him any less valuable to the team.

The strength of the team is determined by the quality of its depth. Players will have to sacrifice their game to be a very good team. If they are after stats then they go to bad teams. If they want to be a winner, their sacrifice their game.
I completely agree with how we looked when Bagley went down. For that I sign off on getting Vuc. I just really hate all eggs in one basket approach. I want a quality back SF. I don’t get the backup pg lust. I think bogie deserves some of those min instead of the SF min

Hoping for Vucevic but can see reported 4 year $112m deal for Horford.

It really depends on where the organization want to go. If they are comfortable with Bagley playing C then Harris would be a much better addition than anyone else.

In this case we would need a veteran big man that can come in and do the job when the match up doesn't favor Bagley (e.g. Kosta)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
In this case we would need a veteran big man that can come in and do the job when the match up doesn't favor Bagley (e.g. Kosta)
You could do far worse than having Kosta as your 10th/11th man. The dude works hard and is still among the better post defenders in the league (not his fault there aren't any post players anymore) and is by all accounts an awesome person and teammate. I sorta want him back regardless, to be honest.

You could do far worse than having Kosta as your 10th/11th man. The dude works hard and is still among the better post defenders in the league (not his fault there aren't any post players anymore) and is by all accounts an awesome person and teammate. I sorta want him back regardless, to be honest.
I think if you look at Kosta's rebounding stats per minute, he is a still pretty darn good at what he does. I would personally love to see him back. However, I think he might be looking to find a place where he would be getting more playing time. I could see Warriors being interested in him to be perfectly honest. He is just a no fuss role player who will rebound, protect the paint and set some good screens. He might be a little bit out of the price range for the 10th/11th man role for us but I would definitely be interested in bring him back. Great veteran to have in the locker room for the young guys too.

Who do I want starting? WCS.... Who do I think will start? Most likely Giles or some middle of the road FA signing that is a place holder until Giles starts.

Someone should update the options and add Hassan Whiteside. I think Miami is gonna press the reset button very soon and Hassan opting in would certainly put him on the trading block, especially with Adebayo progressing.

Whiteside certainly still have a soft side for Sacramento and a future pick for Whiteside would be something the Kings are capable of.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

Someone should update the options and add Hassan Whiteside. I think Miami is gonna press the reset button very soon and Hassan opting in would certainly put him on the trading block, especially with Adebayo progressing.

Whiteside certainly still have a soft side for Sacramento and a future pick for Whiteside would be something the Kings are capable of.
I brought this up when he picked up his option. And I think honestly, for a one year rental before resetting the cap again next offseason... you could do worse.

My first choice would be Valanciunas with Dedmon being my second. I would love Vuc, but I think that he will cost too much and even though he is a great offensive player, we need a tough rebounder, rim blocker, and someone who can move outside to clear room for Fox, Hield, etc. Hope Vlade can get us a very good replacement for WCS.

Doesn’t Whiteside do the things well that everyone here complains and wishes WCS did better and more consistently?

He doesn’t defend smaller players on switches like WCS does, and he can’t run the floor as fast either. But he rebounds at an elite level, he blocks shots at an elite level and he is very athletic and can run — if motivated. He also dunks most everything he is able to!

He just comes with a questionable attitude and sometimes doesn’t run the floor. Like WCS, also believes he’s a better offensive player than he really is. But is by no means bad on that end.

#1 choice, I voted for Thomas Bryant. Cheaper, younger, and ready to grow with the young core.
#2 choice. Marvin Bagley playing the 5, and Julius Randle starting PF.
#3 choice. Al Horford with that veteran leadership.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

You cannot have more than 10 options.

Using the 'Someone else - who?" option will fit the bill if you make sure to include the name of the "who" in your post.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's a shame there isn't room for a "I don't have even the vaguest idea" because at this point that would be my pick. Since there isn't I went with Adams cause I like his toughness.