Porzingis to Dallas (split/merged)

Man. I just didn't see the urgency to do this. You had a bunch of money coming off the books this season with DJ and Matthews and the Barnes in 2020. Doncic and DSJ both on rookie deals for multiple more seasons. You just saw DSJ start to play really well next to Doncic when he came back from his rest or whatever. Maybe if you struck out this off-season, you make a deal like this?
And if you wait, you get to see if KP is healthy.

It's going to be interesting to hear what reqlly went on because it looks like both teams could have done some things differently.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this trade is a steal for Dallas if Porzingis is healthy and has no nagging injuries moving forward. Luka & Kristaps is must watch TV, I'll be tuning into more Dallas games now

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Umm...Dallas can't send an unprotected 2021 OR a 1-10 protected 2023 unless they change the protections on the pick they owe Atlanta. Like, basically, they have to guarantee their 2019 pick to Atlanta. If not, the Stepien rule applies since they might be liable to trade away both their 2020 and 2021 picks. Furthermore, they're still liable to send Atlanta their 2021 pick OR their 2023 pick if it doesn't convey in 2019/2020/(2021/2022).

So if this reporting is correct, Atlanta just got that Dallas 2019 upgraded to unprotected. I guess that would have to be a separate deal, and they'd have to send Dallas *something* in return.

Umm...Dallas can't send an unprotected 2021 OR a 1-10 protected 2023 unless they change the protections on the pick they owe Atlanta. Like, basically, they have to guarantee their 2019 pick to Atlanta. If not, the Stepien rule applies since they might be liable to trade away both their 2020 and 2021 picks. Furthermore, they're still liable to send Atlanta their 2021 pick OR their 2023 pick if it doesn't convey in 2019/2020/(2021/2022).

So if this reporting is correct, Atlanta just got that Dallas 2019 upgraded to unprotected. I guess that would have to be a separate deal, and they'd have to send Dallas *something* in return.
Zach Lowe provided more details of the trade:

If I were a Knicks fan, having to wait until 2023 or beyond to get one of those picks...ugh. So unexciting.

Not to mention the top 10 protection. That means if the pick conveys, it's not even that great of a pick. Ew.

Tough year for a “franchise guy” to be out pretty much the whole season in a contract year on a team that wants to make a splash in free agency this coming offseason but didn’t want to have to worry about teams immediately making an obscene offer and eating their space. I’m not really surprised the Knicks moved him. They were in a position to reflect if this guy really is the franchise and they’re looking to talk themselves out of committing to him for the long haul.

I don’t know about the return although DSJ is a fine young point guard, DeAndre Jordan is still DeAndre Jordan and a good established starter to attract a bigger name. Big market teams don’t rebuild. They aren’t even good at rebuilding. Knicks are going to have a lot of scratch.

However, Dallas better spend their money wisely from here on out and they better hope they are going to be really really good and not a West purgatory team and of course they get healthy because those short sighted unloading of number ones always come back to bite.

Definetly makes them more exciting

Last edited:
If I were a Knicks fan, having to wait until 2023 or beyond to get one of those picks...ugh. So unexciting.

Not to mention the top 10 protection. That means if the pick conveys, it's not even that great of a pick. Ew.
I mean, I completely get it now from the Knicks perspective. With KP coming saying he's going to sign the QO with the Mavs, my guess is he told the exact same thing to the Knicks and probably said he had no intention of coming back. So instead of waiting for this to leak and watch his value tank, they dealt him right away. Now they get DSJ on his rookie deal (TBD, but has started to show signs), completely clear their books for this off-season, let their young guys get more run and tank harder, and 2 future first round picks, one unprotected and 1 top 10 protected.

Unless Dallas gets lucky to move into the top 3, they're going to have a tough time keeping that pick from Atlanta this season. So Knicks should be getting 2021 unprotected and the 2023 top protected.

Basically turned their star, who might not come back the same from injury and every indication that he wasn't going to resign into a pretty solid futures haul with a clean cap sheet. Don't hate it at all.

It's probably a better deal than they'd get anywhere else. This is the much hated Sixers deal on steroids. Sure, Dallas does get a player in return who figures to contribute, but they are essentially banking on Free Agency because they have two players (plus Barnes I guess) and little else to show now.

If you're coming off an injury that's kept you out a year and you get offered a max deal, take it.

Oh, he's had shoulder and back problems too.
I'm not sure anyone is giving him a max deal with his injury concerns. If Dallas structures the deal right it would give them salary flexibility though usually those handshake deals bite teams in the butt.

There's probably no way for a team to poison pill the contract with something like offering a full max that is only guaranteed the first year unless player plays 20 games in the state of Texas then the whole thing is guaranteed?

I'm not sure I buy KP's story about all of a sudden not liking the direction of the franchise. I think they told him they did not plan on giving him the full max, and he threw up the deuces. Time will tell if that was a good call on the Knicks' part, but Scott Perry is a very smart dude who has great relationships with all the big agents. I don't think he'd burn a bridge in this way if it were not warranted to protect the franchise.

My initial reaction, as for most, was how lopsided this seemed for Dallas. As news trickles out and the picture is completed, I like this deal a lot for the Knicks and think it's extremely risky for the Mavs. Essentially, there is only one pathway to this deal being a success for the Mavs, and all other paths lead to complete disaster. IF KP comes back fully healthy and IF he can still play at the same level as a rim protector and IF he resigns with the Mavs and IF they can fill in cheap elite 3&Ds around Luka/KP (which elite 3&Ds are not cheap), then its a success. Anything less, and the deal is a disaster given the opportunity cost of all of those picks.

KP has now had two public blowups with his front office...perhaps both were warranted, but there's a pattern of behavior. Fortunately, Dallas' front office is super professional...oh wait.

Not if you get KD and someone else this summer. Those picks will come in quite handy when KD is on the downside of his career. Assuming they are able to land one or two of the top free agents, the more I think of the deal the less bad it seems for the Knicks. This is assuming they either are fearful of Zingers knees or that he wasn’t going to sign with them long term (or both).

Big market teams don’t rebuild. They aren’t even good at rebuilding. Knicks are going to have a lot of scratch.
Ummm...tell that to Knicks fans who have watched the past 20 years. Regardless of what I just wrote in my last post, the Knicks have been dreadful at rebuilding AND reloading through free agency.

The first available is unprotected. The next one 2 years later is top 10 for the next 3 years until its conveyed. Which means they cant trade another first round pick for 6 years.

What is the protection on the Mavs pick to Atlanta? Top 5? Top 10?

If KP can't play this season, looks like Mavs are throwing the towel in on this season, but can they lose enough to keep their pick?

What is the protection on the Mavs pick to Atlanta? Top 5? Top 10?

If KP can't play this season, looks like Mavs are throwing the towel in on this season, but can they lose enough to keep their pick?
Dallas's pick is Top 5 protected this year. They are currently #12.

The other teams in the Lottery will be in their annual Tank-a-thon and most of these teams are already well ahead of Dallas on the tanking.

Dallas either needs to get really lucky in the Lottery or they can try to Tank hard, but may wind up giving up a top 6-9 pick to Atlanta for their efforts.