Porzingis to Dallas (split/merged)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

oh boy, the protections will make or break this trade
They're essentially making a "win now" style move except with two players who ideally will make up the future core of a contender in five seasons. The problem now is that the Mavs don't have any future assets to stick around them anymore and don't exactly have a fantastic track record with free agency in recent seasons.

It could work but there is also a significantly greater than zero chance that the Mavs wind up with Luka and a bunch of bad contracts with no Zaps to show for it.

Ehh. His level of pay is WAY above his production. He's been inefficient. I'm not entirely sure what his play style is so I'm not going to try and explain how he might fit in with us, but I think he's an iso guy.
I know people get on him about style of play and contract, and it’s nit unfounded...but personally I’ve really liked him since NC and I loved the role he played on GS. Played SF, but could also play PF in their lineup of death. I would love to have him in Sac

I don't think NY did too badly. They lose a hyper talented guy - but he has a significant injury and said he did not want to stay with the team. They got a young point guard, some picks, and have swapped some bad contracts for expiring deals. Given there aren't too many teams that have traded a superstar and got value in return, I'm not sure it would be fair to expect much more.

If KP comes back strong from his injury stays with Dallas then they have two All NBA players and the picks they lose wont be too high. As I would like to see the WC get weaker, I am hoping KP has either lost a step or leaves.

They're essentially making a "win now" style move except with two players who ideally will make up the future core of a contender in five seasons. The problem now is that the Mavs don't have any future assets to stick around them anymore and don't exactly have a fantastic track record with free agency in recent seasons.

It could work but there is also a significantly greater than zero chance that the Mavs wind up with Luka and a bunch of bad contracts with no Zaps to show for it.
Essentially, they could end up like the Pelicans with the Boogie trade.

I know people get on him about style of play and contract, and it’s nit unfounded...but personally I’ve really liked him since NC and I loved the role he played on GS. Played SF, but could also play PF in their lineup of death. I would love to have him in Sac
What would it take tho? Does he have any value or is he considered a burden at this point? I would maybe kick the tires on trading an expiring for him and a pick...lol

Regardless of the protections:

Giving up 3 first round picks and a bunch of cap space for Porzingis to say he wants to sign the QO and enter UFA? I get you have a season to convince him otherwise, but damn, they certainly went all in. This is all assuming that Porzingis returns to form after the injury.
I was shocked when I heard these news, but one my friend who is close to KP older brother texted me there is no way he is taking QO.

He will get the max.

And the rumours are spreading out on twitter that he will likely resign there.

I was shocked when I heard these news, but one my friend who is close to KP older brother texted me there is no way he is taking QO.

He will get the max.

And the rumours are spreading out on twitter that he will likely resign there.
Well, here is the thing. Porzingis would probably jump at a max offer right now and New York probably wouldn't give it to him, considering he is coming off major knee surgery. Either way, Porzingis wanted out of NY.

Now, if Dallas is that big of a risk taker to give Porzingis a max deal without seeing him play a full healthy season, then let them.

It could be a great gamble or it could explode in their faces if Porzingis doesn't return to form after major knee surgery.

This is a huge gamble for the Mavs, especially since they won't have a first round pick in 3 of the next 5 drafts.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well, here is the thing. Porzingis would probably jump at a max offer right now and New York probably wouldn't give it to him, considering he is coming off major knee surgery. Either way, Porzingis wanted out of NY.

Now, if Dallas is that big of a risk taker to give Porzingis a max deal without seeing him play a full healthy season, then let them.

It could be a great gamble or it could explode in their faces if Porzingis doesn't return to form after major knee surgery.

This is a huge gamble for the Mavs, especially since they won't have a first round pick in 3 of the next 5 drafts.
On the plus side for Mark Cuban, Mavs fans will be too busy complaining about their lack of first round picks to focus on the franchise’s dubious sexual harassment record anymore.

This is his first injury of his career and I have no reason to doubt that he can't come back 100% healthy. But as I said, I would've only traded that for him if I knew it wasn't a 1 year rental
Name me another player of his height and frame that has had a long NBA career. Never mind the fact that he relies much more on agility than tall freaks of nature in the past (aka Yao Ming). I think if you give him the max, you clearly need to put the odds of fulfilling that contract lower than most players. He's a special talent for sure, but I'm just not totally sure I do that.

Both of those 1st rounders are protected which they gave to the Knicks.

And Porzingis was supposed to be evaluated at the mid February, with not any setbacks he is supposed to play at the start of the March, just for few games.

How on earth would we fit Jordan into the rotation without either trading WCS or significantly diminishing our young bigs' minutes?
He wouldn't fit in hence why it would be s smart move.

Any move right now that stunts the development of Bagley and Giles would be a stupid move. This includes trading for Kanter.

If Bagley and Giles are the future then gotta stay out of the way and actually allow them to become the future.

Dallas could have the ability to add two max free agents next to Doncic & Porzingis in 2020 offseason.

Just go sign Davis and role out a Doncic/Davis/Porzingis frontcourt. That would be pretty darn fun to watch and Doncic in the pick and roll with those guys would be unstoppable. It would be the new and improved lob city.

How on earth would we fit Jordan into the rotation without either trading WCS or significantly diminishing our young bigs' minutes?

You could trade out Willie for Jordan by moving Willie IMO. I think in a lot of ways it's an upgrade. Jordan is one of the best screeners in the business and is a nightmare in the pick and roll. He's not nearly as skilled as Willie but would the Kings miss it much?

Dallas could have the ability to add two max free agents next to Doncic & Porzingis in 2020 offseason.

Just go sign Davis and role out a Doncic/Davis/Porzingis frontcourt. That would be pretty darn fun to watch and Doncic in the pick and roll with those guys would be unstoppable. It would be the new and improved lob city.
And one heck of a ticking time bomb of fragile bigs.

Man. I just didn't see the urgency to do this. You had a bunch of money coming off the books this season with DJ and Matthews and the Barnes in 2020. Doncic and DSJ both on rookie deals for multiple more seasons. You just saw DSJ start to play really well next to Doncic when he came back from his rest or whatever. Maybe if you struck out this off-season, you make a deal like this?

Doncic+Porzingis.
If Porz gets back healty, that's a hell of a trade.
If this trade goes down, this tells me that the Knicks aren't exactly confident he's going to be the same player (or better). Although that is still a nice haul in return including an unprotected 1st round pick rather than a heads up trade as I said they wouldn't do if Porzingis was completely healthy.

I mean, if I had any concerns over Kristaps health and could get Dennis Smith, DeAndre Jordan, Wes Matthews, an unprotected 1st rounder and an additional protected 1st rounder -- I'd certainly do that trade if I was NYK.

You could trade out Willie for Jordan by moving Willie IMO. I think in a lot of ways it's an upgrade. Jordan is one of the best screeners in the business and is a nightmare in the pick and roll. He's not nearly as skilled as Willie but would the Kings miss it much?
Not as skilled as Willie? Maybe only in dribbling the ball on the break. Have you seen Willie's offensive game this year?

WOW.

So Zinger wants to be free in the open market. Losing his RFA rights and basically letting Zinger rehab next season with your squad is an insane risk, considering the amount of money you took on and giving away DSJ and possibly a pick.

This has to be why this deal got done so quickly. Knicks didn't want it known that KP would be taking the QO and got what value they could for him. Also have to wonder if the Mavs were aware they'd be losing his RFA rights?

Crazy trade.
Zing' aint playing next season either?

If this trade goes down, this tells me that the Knicks aren't exactly confident he's going to be the same player (or better). Although that is still a nice haul in return including an unprotected 1st round pick rather than a heads up trade as I said they wouldn't do if Porzingis was completely healthy.

I mean, if I had any concerns over Kristaps health and could get Dennis Smith, DeAndre Jordan, Wes Matthews, an unprotected 1st rounder and an additional protected 1st rounder -- I'd certainly do that trade if I was NYK.
It's done.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Man. I just didn't see the urgency to do this. You had a bunch of money coming off the books this season with DJ and Matthews and the Barnes in 2020. Doncic and DSJ both on rookie deals for multiple more seasons. You just saw DSJ start to play really well next to Doncic when he came back from his rest or whatever. Maybe if you struck out this off-season, you make a deal like this?
Jesus Christ, was Donnie Nelson smoking crack when he dealt these picks?

2019 Top-5 Protected (barring the Mavs shutting down Luka for the year, this pick is gone and there's a chance it would be gone even if they did that)
2021 Unprotected (mind you that this would be the draft pick for the season after the one that Zinger potentially walks)
2023 Top 10 protected
are a lot of first round picks not to have when you're building around a 19-year-old and a 22-year-old.

Their current best lineup would be
Porzingis
Barnes
Luka
Hardaway
Lee(?)
which is probably a playoff team but not exactly an inspiring one unless Zinger comes back better than ever and Luka suddenly becomes a plus defender (for all the crap Dallas fans liked to give them DJ and Matthews covered for a lot of Luka's mistakes on that end). They needed those draft picks to both draft complimentary talent and use in later trades for complimentary pieces. Right now they have little room for error.

WOW.

So Zinger wants to be free in the open market. Losing his RFA rights and basically letting Zinger rehab next season with your squad is an insane risk, considering the amount of money you took on and giving away DSJ and possibly a pick.

This has to be why this deal got done so quickly. Knicks didn't want it known that KP would be taking the QO and got what value they could for him. Also have to wonder if the Mavs were aware they'd be losing his RFA rights?

Crazy trade.
wtf are you talking about?

They aren't losing his RFA rights. He will be a RFA this summer until he either signs a contract offer, accepts the Mavs offer or accepts the qualifying offer.

Mavs have realized they aren't a big FA attraction after 2 years ago. They are taking risks trying to get 2 all stars.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
wtf are you talking about?

They aren't losing his RFA rights. He will be a RFA this summer until he either signs a contract offer, accepts the Mavs offer or accepts the qualifying offer.

Mavs have realized they aren't a big FA attraction after 2 years ago. They are taking risks trying to get 2 all stars.
All indications point to him taking the QO to become a UFA in 2020.

Jesus Christ, was Donnie Nelson smoking crack when he dealt these picks?

2019 Top-5 Protected (barring the Mavs shutting down Luka for the year, this pick is gone and there's a chance it would be gone even if they did that)
2021 Unprotected (mind you that this would be the draft pick for the season after the one that Zinger potentially walks)
2023 Top 10 protected
are a lot of first round picks not to have when you're building around a 19-year-old and a 22-year-old.

Their current best lineup would be
Porzingis
Barnes
Luka
Hardaway
Lee(?)
which is probably a playoff team but not exactly an inspiring one unless Zinger comes back better than ever and Luka suddenly becomes a plus defender (for all the crap Dallas fans liked to give them DJ and Matthews covered for a lot of Luka's mistakes on that end). They needed those draft picks to both draft complimentary talent and use in later trades for complimentary pieces. Right now they have little room for error.
Talk Barnes is on the trade block,. They are going into tank mode. Bet they shut down Luka in March.