Poll: should the Kings match the offer for Bogi?

Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Yes. 18 mill is about right and he is a desirable asset. This Kings will not get better value in free agency so keep to play or pay to trade either way you match.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
There are effectively three options here.

1) Let Bogdan walk
2) Match and roll with it
3) Match and trade Buddy

If we can find a decent return for Buddy then #3 is probably the best choice. I'd guess that McNair is going to be working the phone lines pretty hard over the next two days to see what he can find. If not, #2 is hard because it locks us in to a lot of money for three backcourt players, and none of them is Haliburton. Kind of a logjam, and you have to trust in your ability to sort it out before too long.

So I say that we should do #3, #1, #2 in that order.

I agree fully with the Captain here.

I'm a little irked about this kicker though. And frankly I want nothing to do with this stupid agent. So we better get a stupid good haul for Buddy.

1) Let Bogdan walk
3) Match and trade Buddy

If we can find a decent return for Buddy then #3 is probably the best choice. I'd guess that McNair is going to be working the phone lines pretty hard over the next two days to see what he can find. If not, #2 is hard because it locks us in to a lot of money for three backcourt players, and none of them is Haliburton. Kind of a logjam, and you have to trust in your ability to sort it out before too long.

Agreed. If you have a deal for Hield in place then match. Otherwise it only makes sense to let him walk.

Tying up $64 million in cap space for three guys who don't move the needle in Barnes, Hield, and Bogdanovic is exactly how a team like the Kings stays bad but not bad enough for the kind of top 3 picks that actually change the trajectory of a franchise.

Especially when all three are bad defenders and finding enough minutes to go around (and keeping both Bogi and Buddy's trade value up) would necessitate starting all three.

Fox, Haliburton and ONE of Hield or Bogdanovic is a nice three guard lineup. All four would just exacerbate the issues from last season.

And the "match now and find trades later" idea is less than ideal also. Bogi effectively can't be traded for a year and the clearly there isn't a great market for Buddy because he's still here.

1) Let Bogdan walk
3) Match and trade Buddy

3 was too easy, so I didn’t include it ;)

And you don’t have to trade Buddy within the timeframe to match, necessarily. You just have to feel good about your ability to do so before the season, or before the trade deadline really.

So hlwhat are the avenues forward?

1.let bogie walk and get zero in return and not much usuable cap space as is (there is a sac tax to get even mediocre players to the kings). You arent stacking picks or getting any young pieces or even "adding by subtraction" as some claim because Bogie is neither a toxic presence nor has he been a disgruntled player as boogie was. He just wants his $$ and stability in his play time/usage.

2. Match bogie and keep both him and a disgruntled Buddy and hope it all works out and again be staring at the 10 seed?

3. Match Bogie and try to deal buddy +/- others (bagley, bjeli, or picks etc) to get pieces and or picks.

I honestly think that between bogie and buddy, there is not a night and day difference. One is an elite albeit sometimes streaky shooter but makes dumb decisions and is utterly untrustworthy with the ball, worse even in clutch time. The other is a reasonable ballhandler and can make good plays (but can also be a bit selfish). Neither is a good defender but i think Bogie is probably the better locker room guy (his team mates seem to genuinely like him) whereas Buddy is just kinda there. If im in charge and i want some semblance of improvement and stability. You gain zero from getting rid of Bogie for nothing. Absolutely zero. No picks. No pieces. No creating space for another person to flourish as Monte Ellis' move allowed for steph. You dont even know what you have with Halliburton yet sonto say bogie is Monte is premature.

Moving Buddy is likely to net you pieces to make you better in the future. It will definitely prevent the toxicity of sitting on him and watching him implode the locker room until you are forced to move him from scraps. Remember, this is the same guy who flashed money signs during a game to vlade, he will absolutely come up with some Jimmy butler in Minnesota type antics.

I would try to move him for a bunch of picks and a young asset or a young star and give one of our picks. I think Hield (with possible a 1st) for Jaylen Brown would be a good move if available. Or Buddy for myles turner and Jeremy lamb would be great. Or even buddy and bagley (possibly needing a pick as well) for Beal and say Hachimura. But right now, Buddy is the best option to be traded and net a good player or picks that make you better faster. Bogie walking gains you nothing.

1) Let Bogdan walk
3) Match and trade Buddy

I would say 4 because Buddy’s contract declines and becomes easier to trade at the end of next year.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I would say 4 because Buddy’s contract declines and becomes easier to trade at the end of next year.
As LPKingsFan pointed out, we don't have to trade Buddy immediately. That said, holding onto him for a year and a half is pretty close to "Match and roll with it" in my book.

Agreed. If you have a deal for Hield in place then match. Otherwise it only makes sense to let him walk.

Tying up $64 million in cap space for three guys who don't move the needle in Barnes, Hield, and Bogdanovic is exactly how a team like the Kings stays bad but not bad enough for the kind of top 3 picks that actually change the trajectory of a franchise.

Especially when all three are bad defenders and finding enough minutes to go around (and keeping both Bogi and Buddy's trade value up) would necessitate starting all three.

Fox, Haliburton and ONE of Hield or Bogdanovic is a nice three guard lineup. All four would just exacerbate the issues from last season.

And the "match now and find trades later" idea is less than ideal also. Bogi effectively can't be traded for a year and the clearly there isn't a great market for Buddy because he's still here.
Great post, but a henpeck. I don't consider Barnes a bad defender, haven't looked at the advanced stats.

No better time to negotiate a killer trade haul than when the rest of the league knows your family jewels are caught in a vice grip.
The flip side though is if a team wants Buddy (like really wants him), it's now or never if we let Bogi walk.

Also I thought the NBA worked to get rid of poison pill language in contracts so why is that kicker that would be on the trading team allowed in?

Isnt it better than letting him walk for literally nothing and the $$ you save still wouldnt net you any iota of benefit as free agents dont want to come to the kings.
Remember Jarl Thompandry

Seriously though, what assets we could get back if we could trade him may not be worth the investment risk.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Isnt it better than letting him walk for literally nothing and the $$ you save still wouldnt net you any iota of benefit as free agents dont want to come to the kings.
But you can use cap space to take on other teams’ dead weight (of which, thanks to this spending frenzy, there is a lot) for assets, which has been a proven way to build up a small market team.

Last edited:
Match and keep Bogdan this season. Trade Buddy before the deadline.
Maximize Bogdan’s value by finding him a proper role (more minutes, less ball handling, more off the screen shooting) and then either trade at the end of the season or keep him if he can be a 20 ppg player and make others better.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Remember Jarl Thompandry

Seriously though, what assets we could get back if we could trade him may not be worth the investment risk.
“I can’t let my (mostly good but occasionally very awful) girlfriend who’s been trying to leave me for another guy dump me for nothing!!!” he says as he desperately sells all of his belongings at a pawn shop so he can afford an engagement ring.

As far as we know, the best deal we could get for Bogi was DiVincenzo and filler. And I'm guessing that if there were a good deal offered for Buddy he'd already be gone.

So I'm not sure why matching on Bogdanovic and bringing back two SGs who have already complained about minutes/roles and expressed a desire to move on while adding another rookie SG/PG (not to mention Ramsey who could be a steal) will increase either of their trade values.

I've said all along that my preference was that the Kings trade Buddy and re-sign Bogi but unless there's a deal in place before the deadline to match it seems like a terrible idea to have them both to start the season with the vague idea that there will be a good trade for Buddy "later".