Play for seeding?

they should just have a tournament for the last two playoff spots where everyone currently 7 and lower gets to play. seeded. playoffs before playoffs. they would make money. Kings would qualify assuming same form as when season was interrupted.

Nor would I like to lose three draft spots to other teams that also need 3 and D wings. And for what. 5 meaningless games with no fans merely so that NBA teams can claim their local TV money. I guarantee other teams will use the 5 games to improve the draft spot. The Kings.....

No idea why you're assuming Vassell won't be there when we pick, or that he'd necessarily be the best pick if we're to improve our position. Highly debatable.

Nor would I like to lose three draft spots to other teams that also need 3 and D wings. And for what. 5 meaningless games with no fans merely so that NBA teams can claim their local TV money. I guarantee other teams will use the 5 games to improve the draft spot. The Kings.....
Having a better draft spot doesn't guarantee the Kings will make a sound decision with it.

Might as well try to win the games as far as I'm concerned.

Having a better draft spot doesn't guarantee the Kings will make a sound decision with it.

Might as well try to win the games as far as I'm concerned.
well given the Kings history they probably will screw it up but San Antonio, New Orleans and Portland won’t. So if we draft before them maybe Vlade gets lucky.

well given the Kings history they probably will screw it up but San Antonio, New Orleans and Portland won’t. So if we draft before them maybe Vlade gets lucky.
Hmm history has us choosing jimmer over Kawhi (SA) and TRob over Dame (Port) and Austin rivers NO). I’ll take my chances at trying to make the playoffs.

Hmm history has us choosing jimmer over Kawhi (SA) and TRob over Dame (Port) and Austin rivers NO). I’ll take my chances at trying to make the playoffs.
right but if San Antonio, Portland and New Orleans pick before us then they won’t miss and Vlade loses a blind luck chance to make the right pick. And you missed if we only have 5 more games there is no chance to make the play-offs. Only the chance to lose draft spots.

No idea why you're assuming Vassell won't be there when we pick, or that he'd necessarily be the best pick if we're to improve our position. Highly debatable.
its debatable that Vassell will even reach us at 12. But at 11 or 12 we likely get our pick of Vassell, Bey, Naismith. At 14 we get which ever one San Antonio, Portland and New Orleans deem the worst if any.

its debatable that Vassell will even reach us at 12. But at 11 or 12 we likely get our pick of Vassell, Bey, Naismith. At 14 we get which ever one San Antonio, Portland and New Orleans deem the worst if any.
I am inclined to think Vassell will be there when we pick. Obviously I could be wrong but he is far from a consensus lottery pick. I'm curious as to why you like him so much? I don't dislike him as a prospect, but is there anything he does that Justin James doesn't? I know James didn't get much PT last year, but Vassell is unlikely to either. And JJ showed some promise when he was on the floor.

I'd prefer Nesmith and Bey over Vassell if we're going for a wing. And there's likely a couple of other guys I'd prefer at our spot, without trading up, over Vassell.

I am inclined to think Vassell will be there when we pick. Obviously I could be wrong but he is far from a consensus lottery pick. I'm curious as to why you like him so much? I don't dislike him as a prospect, but is there anything he does that Justin James doesn't? I know James didn't get much PT last year, but Vassell is unlikely to either. And JJ showed some promise when he was on the floor.

I'd prefer Nesmith and Bey over Vassell if we're going for a wing. And there's likely a couple of other guys I'd prefer at our spot, without trading up, over Vassell.
Vassell is a very good shooter (James isn’t) and a good defender. I’m also okay with Nesmith and Bey though again all could be gone or more likely all are gone but the one San Antonio, New Orleans and Portland, all very good drafting teams, don’t like.

Last edited:
When has Kings fans irrationally latching onto a random draft prospect ever backfired before?
Im not saying Vlade will pick the right player. It’s a crap shoot at best. He is more likely to pick Justin Jackson while we are all are screaming to take OG, or to take Bagley while the fan base wants Luka.

BTW, I think the average Kings fan pick has been far more rational than Vlade’s actual picks. As is tanking more rational than a quixotic 5 game play-off push. So if you are going to talk irrationality.......

That being said when you are talking a group of 3-4 possible players in that slot it’s far more likely SA, Portland and New Orleans won’t screw it up which increases the odds we will.

Last edited:
So a 3rd PG behind CoJo next year - What?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...-30-anthony-edwards-moves-to-no-1/ar-BB14qkMn

Well Yahoo mock shows Vassell still there at 16th pick, shows us picking:
12. Sacramento Kings: G R.J. Hampton
Ht./Wt.: 6-5, 185
NZ Breakers (National Basketball League): 8.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg

Hampton elected to play overseas for one year in New Zealand instead of going to college. He’s a long point guard who could be a huge sleeper in this draft. Hampton came back to the states in February and has been preparing for the draft ever since. He’s recently been to the University of Memphis to workout with Penny Hardaway and Mike Miller.

Looks like the NBA may be rethinking the 5 game mini season approach for many of the reasons outlined.....

The NBA sent out a survey to all 30 NBA GMs on Friday night regarding how to restart the season, league sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The poll included whether the NBA should have a play-in tournament, how many teams should be in the bubble site, and the number of scrimmages and regular season games before the playoffs.

GMs will vote on the following scenarios, including:

whether teams can advance directly to the playoffs
a "playoffs plus" option that includes a play-in tournament for the final seed(s)
playing out a full regular season
a traditional playoff format or reseed all of the teams
the last possible finish date, including November 1

Don't know what "Playoff plus" option would look like
But my suggestion would be:
Play in tounament for 8th seed:
Blazers(9)/Spurs(12) and Pels (10)/Kings(11)
Winners play each other to win chance to play Memphis
3 wins to make playoffs for Kings

Same brackets for East and we are 8 total games then start the playoffs
much better than 15 games x 30 teams

at least 8 teams get a shot at playoffs, and the rest of the teams wont have to play
to get to the draft

With 4 teams 3.5 games behind Memphis a short 5 game reg season
is just not enough for anyone to catch Memphis

Last edited:
Don't know what "Playoff plus" option would look like
But my suggestion would be:
Play in tounament for 8th seed:
Blazers(9)/Spurs(12) and Pels (10)/Kings(11)
Winners play each other to win chance to play Memphis
3 wins to make playoffs for Kings

Same brackets for East and we are 8 total games then start the playoffs
much better than 15 games x 30 teams

at least 8 teams get a shot at playoffs, and the rest of the teams wont have to play
to get to the draft

With 4 teams 3.5 games behind Memphis a short 5 game reg season
is just not enough for anyone to catch Memphis
i think it might look like this given the league wants competitive games as much as possible and games for local TV:

West
Memphis - Golden State (no Curry or Thompson allowed)
Sacramento - San Antonio

New Orleans - Pheonix
Portland - Minnesota.

East
Orlando - Cleveland
Chicago - New York

Washington - Atlanta
Charlotte - Detroit.

Winners move down in draft standings. Losers are ranked in draft by their record prior to the shutdown. Teams once eliminated play games to 70 with no impact in draft standings.

Playing 5 games is ridiculously shortsighted and utterly meaningless. Might as well just go with the standings as they are. 5 games doesn’t give anyone time to do anything but knock off some rust.

Since this season is already a farce, might as well try something actually monumental and groundbreaking.

I much more like the idea that was floated a while back wherein teams play regional round robin to determine seeding for an actual tournament.

That would be far better than playing 5 games then going to the playoffs. Either play out all 82 or just start the playoffs now based on current standings.

DUMB.