Phoenix vs. SA - Conf. Finals

43 points for the Spurs in the 4th quarter to take game 1. Yikes. Suns had a 4 point lead at the end of 3, then Brent Barry canned two or three threes in a span of a minute, and the Spurs locked it down from there. I think it was imperative for the Suns to win this first game to keep the series competitive. Wouldn't surprise me at this point to see the Spurs win in 5 now.

Spurs looked impressive. Really had no idea how this matchup would shape up... now we'll see how the Suns respond. I think the team that wins game 1 of a 7 game series goes on to win like 80% of the time, right?

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
Guess I was wrong... if Marion cant pick up the offense and Johnson cant come back then the suns are dead.
Marion had a terrible game -- only scored 3 points. Still, at least he's shown up since JJohnson's injury -- he had some big games in the Dallas series. QRich has to be the most disappointing Suns' starter in the playoffs to this point, and especially since JJohnson got hurt. He just can't seem to hit anything, and tonight with Marion having a subpar game, that killed the Suns.

Variant said:
I think the team that wins game 1 of a 7 game series goes on to win like 80% of the time, right?
In the conference finals it's 90%.(they flashed it during the game) Spurs destroyed Phoenix inside 62-40 pts in the paint... what a surprise. I think Phoenix wins the next game, but the Spurs are going to win this in 5 or 6. Johnson coming back could be a factor though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's one game. I wouldn't be polishing off parade plans quite yet. All year the Suns have adapted their game - I have every reason to believe it's a little premature to think they just might not do it again.

I don't know that the Spurs will win, that's just first blood, but I'll bet the house that the Suns won't get more than two games tops in this series where they get anywhere close, withiin five points, to what they averaged year long in transition baskets.

Okay, I only caught the last 8mins of the game. I had to go somewhere with my sister.

There were games where Marion did stink it up so it wasn't anything new that he did today. Or was it because Bruce Lee was on him? ^_^

From what I saw, Duncan does look healthy and he looked aggressive. I like the fact that he got to touch the ball within the last few mins and was patient enough to go inside and didn't force anything.

Wow, I am impressed that Frenchy did not let MS. EVA troubled him. I guess Pop had a one on one conversation with him. Sorry but I really dislike MS. EVA.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
PejaFanatic said:
Wow, I am impressed that Frenchy did not let MS. EVA troubled him. I guess Pop had a one on one conversation with him. Sorry but I really dislike MS. EVA.
The hell you say! I never would have guessed!

I am in shock. Absolute shock.

Bibby_Is_Clutch said:
And the suns are like 31-10 on the road.
This sounds crazy as I'm typing it (and I'm too lazy to look it up), but the Spurs radio guys said today that the Spurs lost only 3 games at home all year. That probably negates the Suns' great road record.

4cwebb said:
This sounds crazy as I'm typing it (and I'm too lazy to look it up), but the Spurs radio guys said today that the Spurs lost only 3 games at home all year. That probably negates the Suns' great road record.
Wow, if that's correct then you're right. Impressive to say the least.

4cwebb said:
Yeah 38-3(I just looked it up, I didn't know that either), that's pretty dam good.

Game 2

Suns in danger of letting this series completely get out of reach, and there is still 2:30 left in the first quarter.

Still, the Spurs have doubled them up 26 - 13. Suns have 6 turnovers in the first quarter (4 by Nash).

I haven't really watched/listened to many Spurs' games this season, so I didn't realize they shot so many three point shots (5 per quarter or so). And, in this game 2, they've hit three of their first five. The Suns finish the quarter with 7 turnovers (4 by Nash and 3 by Amare), and face another 10-point deficit after 12 minutes (just like game 1).

PHX relying entirely too much on Nash's offensive scoring. It seems the Spurs are allowing Nash to take and make shots, but don't really want him to get others involved.

...then in the first four minutes of the second half, Suns claw back to within 2 points, and Duncan's going to the bench for a rest.

Suns tie the game up and have a chance to now take a lead.

This game 2 is unfolding in a very similar fashion to game 1. Spurs play very well in the first quarter, then let the Suns back in the game in the second quarter. Suns come out with good energy in the third, and now have a 9 point lead at 77 - 68.

It will be interesting to see if the Suns can keep up this level of intensity for the remainder of the game, or if they will give up 43 points again in the 4th quarter.

Suns take a 5 point lead into the 4th quarter (took a 4 point lead into the 4th quarter in game 1). Hmm...

Unrelated note: yes, I'm just using this thread to bump my post count.

KP said:
Dam! Robert Horry is a crafty vet.
Yep, in the last minute he's earned a technical foul on Amare (but Barry missed a free throw), then he draws an offensive foul on Amare (on a flop according to the Suns' announcers). Horry always knew how to get a free offensive foul or two on CWebb back in the day by flopping, so there's no reason he shouldn't be able to do so to a guy who plays like CWebb used to (with pure athleticism and power).

Spurs up 1 with 3 minutes left in the game and the Suns have the ball. Shades of game 1 here --- unless I'm wrong, Spurs were leading 100 - 98, then Barry hit a couple of threes in a row to put the game out of reach. Suns will need to turn it around here if they want any chance of staying in this series.