Phoenix vs. SA - Conf. Finals

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

I just can't see Phoenix beating San Antonio with their top five players getting 45+ minutes a game. That, and their so-called "overpowering" offense just doesn't impress me at all; much like Miami, they haven't really played anyone yet.
I think the Suns have beaten the most difficult opponent of any of the conference finalists to this point in the Mavs. Seattle and Denver weren't tougher for the Spurs, Miami hasn't played a tough team yet, and Detroit played poorly enough to make Indy appear to be a tough team. I think the Mavs series was definitely good for the Suns to face some adversity and be tested prior to playing against the Spurs, but I wonder if it won't have taken too much out of Nash. He really had to step up his scoring in the last three games just to get the Suns to advance.

Still, I'm having trouble picking which of these teams will win, but my instincts say the Spurs in 7.

striker said:
I will be very surprised if the Suns have anywhere close to the transition game success they've enjoyed to date when they play the Spurs. Their success will become more dependent on Nash's half-court skills imo.
The thing about the Suns is their backcourt (Amare and Marion) can blaze up and down the court with the guards. Ginobli and Parker can get back in transition on any opposing backcourt in the league, but can the Spur's bigs keep up with Amare or Marion on the break?

The Nuggets were the best transition team in the NBA, statistically, the second half of the season, after Karl started coaching. There was a lot of talk about how the Nuggets were going to be fastbreaking against the Spurs with Martin, Melo, Miller, Camby, Johnson. Didn't happen.

T

thesanityannex

All I want to see is Amare elevating over Duncan, with his jock right in Duncan's face, throwing one of his mean dunks on him.

thesanityannex said:
All I want to see is Amare elevating over Duncan, with his jock right in Duncan's face, throwing one of his mean dunks on him.
You mean like Jerome James did in game 3 of the Sonics / Spurs series?

PixelPusher said:
The thing about the Suns is their backcourt (Amare and Marion) can blaze up and down the court with the guards. Ginobli and Parker can get back in transition on any opposing backcourt in the league, but can the Spur's bigs keep up with Amare or Marion on the break?
I think you mean "frontcourt", but regardless, Duncan is one of the most athletic big men in the league, and Big Shot Rob can still run the floor. I don't think they will have any problem getting back. Not to mention the fact that if Marion or Amare are looking to get out on the break and not concentrating on the defensive glass, the Suns are going to give up entirely too many offensive rebounds to be competitive.

I'm going with Phoenix in this one. SA hasn't looked too sharp IMO and Duncan is far from healthy.

In reality I have no clue. How will Phx react to some tough defense for once? Will TP come back with a better series against Nash? Duncan's health is a pretty big question too. He had a great 4th quarter the other night, but other than that has not exactly been dominating.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Folsom Al said:
that's WAS our style and I wanna see the Suns do it...
I hear ya, even if the Spurs fan doesn't agree. ;)

Every time I watch the Suns play I get flashbacks. We really were THAT good...

sigh

I'm rooting for the Suns because they've worked hard all year and I think they deserve it.

:D

The style that the media likes to use is called "Run and Gun".

Kings used to play that style and now the SUNS play it very well.

Looking at it again, it doesn't matter which team goes to the FINALS. Whoever makes it, that team truly deserves it.

Plain and simple, both teams are really good.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
I hate to break it to you, but not all Kings fans agree, either.
Whatever. It doesn't make my comment invalid. I was agreeing with Folsom Al. I didn't say I was speaking for you or the rest of the board.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
The Kings used a halfcourt motion offense that stressed ball movement. Aside from the first couple of seasons when we still weren't very good, they've never really used a "run and gun" offense. "Run and Gun" more closely describes what Dallas ran when Nash was still there, not what the Kings ran... in order for their offense to resemble what the Kings ran, Stoudemire and Marion would each have to be averaging about five assists apiece.

I find it unusual that so many Kings Fans seem to want Phoenix to succeed, especially if they're using that logic; it seems to me that they would want Phoenix to fail, since they're basically playing the same way that those Dallas teams which they claim to hate played.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
The Kings used a halfcourt motion offense that stressed ball movement. Aside from the first couple of seasons when we still weren't very good, they've never really used a "run and gun" offense. "Run and Gun" more closely describes what Dallas ran when Nash was still there, not what the Kings ran... in order for their offense to resemble what the Kings ran, Stoudemire and Marion would each have to be averaging about five assists apiece.

I find it unusual that so many Kings Fans seem to want Phoenix to succeed, especially if they're using that logic; it seems to me that they would want Phoenix to fail, since they're basically playing the same way that those Dallas teams which they claim to hate played.
Potentially it's just as simple as Kings' fans equating the success of a team not built to take the air out of the ball on offense with success of a style similar to that which the Kings used to run. The similarities I see between this year's PHX team and the Kings team that lost to the Lakers is the fact that both teams played/play to just flat out execute the opponent on offense. Each team had their glaring defensive deficiencies, but in most cases it didn't matter because the other team was going to have a harder time stopping the Kings' offense (and this year, the Suns' offense) than the Kings were going to have stopping the other team's offense. Those are the parallels that I see between the teams, and it doesn't surprise me that other Kings' fans see the same parallels.

I do find it interesting that some people would prefer to see the Suns win instead of the Spurs. I know that they year CWebb went down to injury against Dallas, I didn't want Dallas to ultimately win the title b/c I didn't want the Mavs succeeding with the offense-first mentality prior to the Kings succeeding with such mentality. Of course, now that those Kings' teams are well in the past, there's probably no reason to not hope for the success of an offense first team to succeed.

According to insider, the reason why Frenchy has been stinking it up due to MS. Desperate Housewives link with Star Wars Hayden Christiansen. I think he is in his early 20s.

Hopefully he stays focus for today game.

Who wins game 1?

Who do you think is winning game one? I say Pheonix because of the crowd and atmosphere of being this deep and vs this good of a team (SA). I think they get a huge boost by their crowd and win by 10.

im not gonna think about duncans injury. im just gonna focus on him being healthy and the results thereafter. phoenix can't run a half court game, spurs in 6.

PejaFanatic said:
According to insider, the reason why Frenchy has been stinking it up due to MS. Desperate Housewives link with Star Wars Hayden Christiansen. I think he is in his early 20s.

Desperate Housewives? Star Wars? I thought mixing the NBA with Hollywood was the exclusive domain of the Lakers?

PejaFanatic said:

woah i didn't know about that.

i luv the nickname frenchy also :D very cute.

booo suns. GO SPURS!

Game 1

It's 3rd quarter, Suns with a 70 - 68 lead right now coming out blazing from three after halftime.

Marion having a terrible game to this point with 0 points. Amare is having a good game, as are Nash and JJackson.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
VF21 said:
Whatever. It doesn't make my comment invalid. I was agreeing with Folsom Al. I didn't say I was speaking for you or the rest of the board.
I didn't say that you were. It was just important to me to get that out there; there seemed to be a very vocal minority of Kings Fans that are rooting for the Suns, and I wanted it made clear that not all Kings Fans were behind the Suns.

spurs are back in it, setting tempo. i'm listening to it on espn radio.

94-92 spurs duncan just traveled.

the annoucers are saying this has been a horribly reffed game. joe crawford has been whistle happy tonight.