Philipino Buyer Manuell V. Pangilinan to meet with Stern to discuss Kings?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Maloofs are pounding that over and over again because this is what they want everybody to believe. Voisin, who talks to the Maloofs, said no at first, but actually went the other way later. She said no express term, but the league could try to use the "best interest of the league clause", which is in the bylaws. I'm only seen two people come out and say "no way" they can force them to sell. Grant and Scoop. Scoops takes in the past month on this are pure Maloofs BS.

The fact is its unclear whether the owners can take the Kings back right now. Grant is laying down - nope, not possible. Don't talk about this. They either have to miss playroll or break the law. It's not that clear, and he's wrong. Of course this is the same man that would not just tell fans it didn't make any sense to remodel arco, but would sometimes slip up and say "the place is falling appart" and imply that soon it won't even be structurally sound. Now, he's selling a 10 year remod. If he gets the talking points, he will repeat them.

I'm sure Grant has never seen the NBA bylaws and he doesn't know anything about anti-trust law or the history of court cases breaking down the "best interest of the league" clause. He's just repeating what the Maloofs are saying. So is Scoop.

Other than these clowns, I haven't seen anybody break down the league's power over the Kings.
I've heard the "Best interest of the League" rule mentioned several times. Of course I haven't seen it in black and white, but if I'm going to believe someone, it won't be the Maloof's. So if we assume it does exist, then what are the parameters? What exactly do owners have to do, or not do, in order for that rule to be applied? Is it spelled out exactly, or is it a subjective decision on the part of the other owners. I suspect its not the latter, since I doubt that would stand up on a court of law. I'd sure like to be able to read the by laws.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I don't want another crappy owner just to get rid of the crappy owners we have. I want someone who has winning as priority #1, and keeping the team in Sac as priority #1a. I don't see that with this guy.
I'm curious, what exactly are you basing your judgement on? I don't know the guy, and neither do you. Hell, I've lived next to people for years and I can't actually say I know them. So what can you say you know about someone from a couple of press clippings? I'm totally befuddled by what people say sometimes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Larry Coon, of CBA FAQ fame, had this to say about the availability of the CBA and other relevant documents:

( http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm )

The Collective Bargaining Agreement is a very long legal contract between the league and the Players Association, and is written in dense legalese. It is my hope that this FAQ answers all your questions. However, if you really want the CBA, it is available from the Players Association's web site at http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles.php.

Unfortunately, the CBA doesn't answer every question. The NBA, like most organizations, has by-laws, which are separate and apart from whatever contracts it may make with other entities such as the Players Association. Many of the rules are contained in the NBA By-Laws, and in a third document, the NBA Constitution. While it is possible for the public to obtain the CBA, the league office says the By-Laws and Constitution are absolutely off-limits.
So, Larry Coon says the by-laws exist. I have complete faith in what he says. I have no reason to believe there ISN'T a "best interest of the league" clause.

NOTE: I got the quote from an old thread on PacersDigest, dating back to 9-22-2008, so it seems pretty clear that the by-laws have been the topic of discussion before.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm curious, what exactly are you basing your judgement on? I don't know the guy, and neither do you. Hell, I've lived next to people for years and I can't actually say I know them. So what can you say you know about someone from a couple of press clippings? I'm totally befuddled by what people say sometimes.
It seems he has a nationalist agenda. Honestly I even have some questions about Burkle, just because he's not local. I know rich local guy right now is hard to find but still someone with actual community ties is my #1 option. This guy, does he even live in the USA? From what I can tell he doesn't and just wants a trophy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It seems he has a nationalist agenda. Honestly I even have some questions about Burkle, just because he's not local. I know rich local guy right now is hard to find but still someone with actual community ties is my #1 option. This guy, does he even live in the USA? From what I can tell he doesn't and just wants a trophy.
Unless I missed something, isn't MVP tied to Chris Webber? That's a pretty good connection from my way of thinking.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Unless I missed something, isn't MVP tied to Chris Webber? That's a pretty good connection from my way of thinking.
That may be, but he'd also most definitely be an absentee owner attending a smattering of high profile games a year. That is not my first choice. I know a lot of people aren't fond of Cuban here but that is what I want in an owner. Or someone like Merritt Paulson who owns my soccer club. At every game and accessible to fans on the internet.

That may be, but he'd also most definitely be an absentee owner attending a smattering of high profile games a year. That is not my first choice. I know a lot of people aren't fond of Cuban here but that is what I want in an owner. Or someone like Merritt Paulson who owns my soccer club. At every game and accessible to fans on the internet.
i never did understand that. i love mark cuban. he's one of the few big market owners who can look away from his bottom line long enough to remember how important the fans are. he fights with every inch on behalf of his team, goes to battle with them when he feels they've been spurned (justified or not), and pushes the nba to make changes necessary to the good of the game and its fans. the guy is absolutely, 100% committed, and i've always been a fan of his from a distance. sure, he's got loose lips and is about as contentious as they come, but i think people mistake that for arrogance. the guy just cares so much, like the maloofs used to care so much, before they got careless. i've certainly not agreed with everything mark cuban has said, suggested, or done as owner of an nba franchise, but he's one of the good guys, in my opinion. i'd KILL for the kings to be owned by a guy like that. you might question his moves, but you'd never question his commitment to the team or the fans...

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
As the current owners are doing everything they can to move the team, I'm not sure "first choice" comes into play at this point.
I don't think they will be allowed and a fight will bankrupt them and hopefully we'll get a great owner as a result. I'm sorry for being weary of an outsider who seems to have some pretty interesting-and-not-in-a-good-way thoughts on the league.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
So, Larry Coon says the by-laws exist. I have complete faith in what he says. I have no reason to believe there ISN'T a "best interest of the league" clause.
There's no question the by-laws exist. We just don't know what they say!

If the NBA and it's owners don't have some type of clause or procedure built in to their governing bylaws regarding ownership removal/replacement of any of its franchises, then they are among the most naive and misguided businessmen on the planet. How can you have a league running this long and not foresee mismanagement of ownership as a potential problem? They must have something in place that they can exercise. I just refuse to believe that they don't. It wouldn't make ANY sense otherwise.

Now, whether or not they want to pull that card unless absolutely necessary is another thing altogether. I believe that's the case here. For the good of the league, you wouldn't want to brandish this type of power on a whim and really wouldn't even want to discuss it unless no other options are presented. Doing so would likely prevent potential owners from buying into your product if they felt it could be stripped away from them so easily.

The NBA and it's owners can revoke the Maloofs ownership (via a hostile buyout). However, they are still at a point where they must navigate every other possible avenue to make it work with the Maloofs/City of Sac or risk losing a subsequent antitrust case. If they exhaust all the viable options, I believe they can and will invoke their power to strip the team away from the current owners all while knowing it'll stand up in court. Just my opinion.

If the NBA and it's owners don't have some type of clause or procedure built in to their governing bylaws regarding ownership removal/replacement of any of its franchises, then they are among the most naive and misguided businessmen on the planet. How can you have a league running this long and not foresee mismanagement of ownership as a potential problem? They must have something in place that they can exercise. I just refuse to believe that they don't. It wouldn't make ANY sense otherwise.

Now, whether or not they want to pull that card unless absolutely necessary is another thing altogether. I believe that's the case here. For the good of the league, you wouldn't want to brandish this type of power on a whim and really wouldn't even want to discuss it unless no other options are presented. Doing so would likely prevent potential owners from buying into your product if they felt it could be stripped away from them so easily.

The NBA and it's owners can revoke the Maloofs ownership (via a hostile buyout). However, they are still at a point where they must navigate every other possible avenue to make it work with the Maloofs/City of Sac or risk losing a subsequent antitrust case. If they exhaust all the viable options, I believe they can and will invoke their power to strip the team away from the current owners all while knowing it'll stand up in court. Just my opinion.
Yup. Plus, not many owners are rushing, or perhaps even willing, to get that tool out of the box because it could be used against them some day. But almost certainly in the box.

Grant hasn't seen the bylaws, but he'll tell you what the Maloofs say about the bylaws to calm everybody down and try to keep his two jobs.

It's like the Dave thing. I don't know why Dave was fired + I know the Maloofs didn't have anything with Dave being fired = CBS hasn't said but the Maloofs claim they didn't, so I'm going with that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There's no question the by-laws exist. We just don't know what they say!
Sorry. I skipped a few thoughts there...

1. The by-laws exist.
2. The by-laws are not made public but there are persons within the NBA and each team who are familiar with them.
3. Ailene Voisin - and other sports reporters - do have connections with the NBA and various teams who might be willing to give her something under the condition that it be used as "background" only with absolutely no citation of source.
4. Voisin was pretty direct in stating that a "best interest of the league" clause exists.

I believe there is such a clause, and I believe Stern and/or the NBA BOG might have occasion to use it. There's a lot of stuff still floating around - I'm waiting to see what Robbie Waters gets from Anaheim on his FOIA requests.

Given the Maloofs sudden public display of lawyers recently, I would say there definitely is some sort of posturing and concern over their position and rights as owners. Probably not just related to their ability to relocate. Right now it looks like some sort of waiting game to see who is going to make the next move.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
From what I read about him, he loves the game of basketball, and naturally, he wants his own country to be more revelant in regards to the sport. I certainly understand that, and wouldn't expect otherwise. I also understand his desire for a filipino player in the league. But desiring it and having it actually happen are two different things. I'm sure if someone from Japan bought the team, he or she would have similar desires. So I'm not sure what the fear is based on. He's certainly not going to move the team to the Philippines.

If he wants to buy the team, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You know, I'd rather have an absentee owner, than owners that meddle in every decsion. Good owners hire good GM's and coaches, and then let them do their jobs. If they don't, then fire them and get someone else. Thomas Jefferson said once in regards to being the boss. "A good boss is someone that has the intelligence to hire a good man for the job, and then has the wisdom to let them do it".

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sorry. I skipped a few thoughts there...

1. The by-laws exist.
2. The by-laws are not made public but there are persons within the NBA and each team who are familiar with them.
3. Ailene Voisin - and other sports reporters - do have connections with the NBA and various teams who might be willing to give her something under the condition that it be used as "background" only with absolutely no citation of source.
4. Voisin was pretty direct in stating that a "best interest of the league" clause exists.

I believe there is such a clause, and I believe Stern and/or the NBA BOG might have occasion to use it. There's a lot of stuff still floating around - I'm waiting to see what Robbie Waters gets from Anaheim on his FOIA requests.
I would think that the league would love to avoid any controversy regarding the Maloof's and sacramento if possible. So in that regard, any pressure on the Maloofs would be behind closed doors and out of the public arena. It could be, hopefully, that the Maloofs are between a rock and a hard place. Getting pressure from all sides. They only have one remaining asset, the Kings. Its the only asset that makes them revelant. So I understand them hanging on for dear life.

For the first time in a few years, it might behove the Maloof's to spend some money to show the league they're actually trying. My gut tells me that they're under a magnifying glass, being held by David Stern, who would love to build a case against them to bring to the owners. Personally I think their going down a one way street with a dead end. I don't see a way out for them. Barring a billionaire dying and leaving all his money to them. Me first! Please!

The question that David Stern and the NBA BOG have to ask themselves: Does allowing the Maloofs to move where they want to go fix this problem or does a change of ownership here in Sac fix it? We are all really biased on this, but I would be very skeptical that allowing them to move would make them good owners again or be good for the business of the NBA.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
From what I read about him, he loves the game of basketball, and naturally, he wants his own country to be more revelant in regards to the sport. I certainly understand that, and wouldn't expect otherwise. I also understand his desire for a filipino player in the league. But desiring it and having it actually happen are two different things. I'm sure if someone from Japan bought the team, he or she would have similar desires. So I'm not sure what the fear is based on. He's certainly not going to move the team to the Philippines.

If he wants to buy the team, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
If a wealthy person would like to gift me the sum of money required to buy the Kings, I would like to fulfill this role

I would LOVE an owner like Cuban here in Sac.. He's awesome!

This is BS. The site is owned by Pangilinan so take their "a highly-placed source" with a grain of salt. Also, even if this was actually true, MVP's ownership would just run the team to the ground. Filipinos have no sense of meritocracy and would just make decisions that would benefit the "filipino" name.

This is BS. The site is owned by Pangilinan so take their "a highly-placed source" with a grain of salt. Also, even if this was actually true, MVP's ownership would just run the team to the ground. Filipinos have no sense of meritocracy and would just make decisions that would benefit the "filipino" name.
Crab mentality.:eek:

Are you really from the Philippines?:rolleyes:

Crab mentality.:eek:

Are you really from the Philippines?:rolleyes:
Bolded part proves my point.

I'm from the Philippines, I've lived here my whole life, but I'm not gonna support/champion something or someone just because it's "Filipino".

I support things/causes/people based on merit and my personal beliefs, not because of stupid racial bias.

Also, this MVP thing is just BS.

http://t.co/hRDUczcR

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Bolded part proves my point.

I'm from the Philippines, I've lived here my whole life, but I'm not gonna support/champion something or someone just because it's "Filipino".

I support things/causes/people based on merit and my personal beliefs, not because of stupid racial bias.

Also, this MVP thing is just BS.

http://t.co/hRDUczcR
I had already read that, and in my opinion, its meaningless in this discussion. I certainlly understand the the enthusiasm of the press, but what does that have to do with whether MVP would be a good owner or not. Why do you think he would run the team into the ground? What are you basing it on? What makes you any more credible than some poster on this fourm talking about the Kinigs. Give me some facts other than just your opinion. What other businesses has he run into the ground?

For those interested, here's a podcast with some info on MVP.

http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/2012/...n-filipino-mogul-manny-pangilinan/#more-12493

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I had already read that, and in my opinion, its meaningless in this discussion. I certainlly understand the the enthusiasm of the press, but what does that have to do with whether MVP would be a good owner or not. Why do you think he would run the team into the ground? What are you basing it on? What makes you any more credible than some poster on this fourm talking about the Kinigs. Give me some facts other than just your opinion. What other businesses has he run into the ground?

For those interested, here's a podcast with some info on MVP.

http://www.cowbellkingdom.com/2012/...n-filipino-mogul-manny-pangilinan/#more-12493
I was going to post a similar note. Gerald, you say you won't champion something simply because a Filipino is for it yet you will trash the guy because he is a Filipino with no futher information than that he is Filipino. He has been a highly recognized figure in the Philippines having been involved in many of the very few big companies in the Philippines. He owns two (?) teams in the PBA and is involved elsewhere in basketball in the Philippines. There must be adequate information that he is what you say he is.

I'll excuse MVP for his overexuberance. Didn't he or someone say that Pacman could play? :) He loves basketball unless you see something sinister in his involvement with basketball so far. What better way of capping off his interests? Are you afraid he will fall flat on his face? As far as I'm concerned, nothing could be worse than the Maloofs at this time. At the worst, we end up with a bad team and a new arena.

He doesn't understand how things work and doesn't seem to understand that he has to negotiate with the Maloofs but I suspect they don't return his calls. At the worst, his trying to contact Stern is simply getting a head start on the vetting process if he should strike a deal with the Maloofs.

Good Morning everyone sorry i have been away there was nothing to talk about untill i found this story on the internet this morning :)

I have done some reasurch into the man and over the last year since he met with webber he has been building alot of contacts in the game... He was the man mainly responsible for the SMART Ultimate All Star Weekend, which brought Kobe Bryant, Kevin Durant, Derrick Rose, and Chris Paul, among others, to the Philippines for a series of games during the lockout. He owns teams already and the PBA league isnt too bad (i have watched the odd game) and apparently the team are well run and prized for there good scouting team and coachs :)

He also became the first president of the league which not only shows he is a strong leader but also knows his basketball, has been to several kings match over the last year and discribed the idea of buying the kings as "quite titterlating" and also said He said he would need to invest between $200 million and $260 million for a stake in the Kings, and that this would be done in his personal capacity. “That’s the ballpark figure [involved],” the man also has his finger in alot of pes which means if a market collapses he isnt going to lose it all which is good

I hope he takes over because lets be honest it cant get much worse

You are generalizing and I don't know where you got that negative perception of Filipinos. I think you have to apologize to the Filipinos on this board because what you just stated is without basis and denigrating to the Filipino people. Such a shame because you are a Filipino yourself.

At the very least, you deserve an infraction from the moderators of this board.