Orton and Whiteside article:

Yeah, read this one last night. Just like my thoughts on Whiteside, the trainers and the draft interviewers doesn't seem to think he is a trouble maker. Immature maybe, but thats very different from causing trouble purposely.

If we trade down a bit, I would love to have Whiteside just for the size and potential. He is very athletic, especially for his size. If you look at all the younger bigs in the league, no one really matches up to him in terms of height, reach etc.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Yeah, read this one last night. Just like my thoughts on Whiteside, the trainers and the draft interviewers doesn't seem to think he is a trouble maker. Immature maybe, but thats very different from causing trouble purposely.

If we trade down a bit, I would love to have Whiteside just for the size and potential. He is very athletic, especially for his size. If you look at all the younger bigs in the league, no one really matches up to him in terms of height, reach etc.

I know your a big fan of his, and I don't have a problem with that. My only problem with the Whiteside talk was about picking him with the fifth pick. I don't think he's worth the fifth pick. But if we were to move down in the draft, then I'm open to picking him up. But bear in mind, the kid is going to be a project, and most fans don't have much patience around here.

I read the article and the part that caught my attention is the following:

Both players have been working out with Houston Rockets bigman Hilton Armstrong who looked like a man body wise compared to the pair. In the one on one exericse, the trio would take turns going one on one against each other.

Armstrong beat them 5-0-0, showing that the young bucks still have a ways to go. They just could not score on Armstrong or against each other, while Armstrong used his strength, experience and savvy to find ways to score on them

Hilton Armstrong is at best a fringe NBA player, a 13th man. To get badly outplayed by Armstrong means Whiteside and Orton are going to be in the NBDL for a while.

That's not to say they dont have tremendous upside, they certainly do. But they're not going to contribute anytime soon.

I know your a big fan of his, and I don't have a problem with that. My only problem with the Whiteside talk was about picking him with the fifth pick. I don't think he's worth the fifth pick. But if we were to move down in the draft, then I'm open to picking him up. But bear in mind, the kid is going to be a project, and most fans don't have much patience around here.

I haven't got much info on him as far as his work ethic, maturity etc so I was asking to see if anyone has the articles that gives details on that. From what I've seen, he has a lot of upside. There aren't many guys with his height and athletic abilities in the NBA these days. Too many 6'10" with shoes guys playing center. So the height is part of what I like about whiteside.

Looking at the lakers, having a long and tall team makes a huge difference. I'm tired of seeing Pau, Bynum and other tall guys grabbing the reb from behind our bigs or tipping it away even when our bigs are in position.

I agree at this point, 5th pick is too high for Whiteside. But at around 8-12, its a very reasonable pick considering a guy with his height that can play is very rare.

Not to say Whiteside is as good as Dwight Howard, but even DH is STILL very very raw offensively and this is his 5th or 6th? yr!! DH also had a HOF like Ewing teaching him and he is still very raw. DH really is just a defensive guy for the most part. Thats what I want Whiteside to be if we pick him. Of course he has a lot to learn, but DH was a #1 pick. Whiteside at #8 or lower would be reasonable.

I read the article and the part that caught my attention is the following:

Hilton Armstrong is at best a fringe NBA player, a 13th man. To get badly outplayed by Armstrong means Whiteside and Orton are going to be in the NBDL for a while.

That's not to say they dont have tremendous upside, they certainly do. But they're not going to contribute anytime soon.

Yes very much so, they have tremoundous upside... They are prospects and I hope everyone understands that... Whiteside is someone you keep for 3 years (much like Hawes) and hope he suddenly becomes what we hope (which Hawes hasn't yet, but Hawes is young and can still do it once he gets over his mental blockage).

Look, Whiteside has a very high upside with shot blocking and (to a lesser extent) rebounding, but as far as his offense goes, he's probably Camby/Chandler like at best. I'm not saying that's bad per se, but lets not get carried away here with his "potential." Lets not even mention him in the same breathe as Dwight Howard, he'll never be near as strong as he is. I don't think he's as explosive as him either, despite weighing almost 50 pounds less.

Last edited:
I tend to take seriously the rumors about his maturity and commitment. Being really old for his class and having trouble with his eligibility to return to school because of his grades definitely makes you open to the idea that he has off-court issues. This would be an easier pill to swallow if he wasn't such a raw prospect, but since he is, the risk becomes too much for the cost.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I tend to take seriously the rumors about his maturity and commitment. Being really old for his class and having trouble with his eligibility to return to school because of his grades definitely makes you open to the idea that he has off-court issues. This would be an easier pill to swallow if he wasn't such a raw prospect, but since he is, the risk becomes too much for the cost.

Yeah, I agree. I certainly think he's worth the risk at some point. But when I saw him play, he reminded me a lot of Thabeet, but without the same body. Actually I would say that Thabeet was ahead of him in some ways. And Thabeet had the excuse of not having played basketball until around his Junior year of highschool.

There are some things that Whiteside can do that Thabeet can't do. He handles the ball much better and he a more fluid athlete. But Thabeet, who I would never call a good passer, is superior to Whiteside in that area. So yeah, he's a project.

I think the Kings have reached the point where they're ready to move up the food chain. And perhaps a project is something that they don't need right now. And thats not to say that Whiteside won't pay dividends for someone down the road. But for the present, I think whom ever they draft should be someone that can step in and help right now.

Hassan will be a good center. He has the foundation to be a great center, but the chance of him reaching it is tough. Majority of nba followers were willing to draft Okefor over Dwight. Of course 100% of them would choose Howard now. After Wall, Turner & Favors, I feel he is the next best prospect due to unique leangth, zone defensive mind and decent shooting ability.

Hassan will be a good center. He has the foundation to be a great center, but the chance of him reaching it is tough. Majority of nba followers were willing to draft Okefor over Dwight. Of course 100% of them would choose Howard now. After Wall, Turner & Favors, I feel he is the next best prospect due to unique leangth, zone defensive mind and decent shooting ability.
Javale McGee measured out better than he did and he was a more polished shooter than Whiteside. He's not that unique.

thats why they have different names buddy. Unique and freakish is on his draft profile. Cant wait to say "i told yall so" at about mid-season
You're the one saying his measurements and shooting ability alone make him unique enough that it puts him as the 4th best prospect in the draft. I presented you with a player that was drafted just two years ago with better height, reach, weight, shooting ability, can block shots, and has comparable athletic ability. Also, he was younger as a sophomore than Whiteside is as a freshman. So, his tools (by themselves) aren't as unique as you're trying to make them out to be. Would you say the McGee of 2008 would be the 4th best prospect in this draft?