On-Night Off-Night

But, I mean, we all kind of knew somebody had to go, right? There was certainly disagreement among the fans about who should go, and I think there was a different general expectation about who would end up going, but we all knew somebody had to go. Which is why, outside of the initial gut-punch around the trade, I can't really complain that much. We turned an unworkable trio of guards into a much more workable pair of guards and a center, and while we gave up a potential future all star, we got a 25-year-old already 2x all star back.

And now Davion's showing out. I'm a big fan of Tyrese, but I'm a bigger fan of the Kings, so it's hard to complain too much.
SAME! And, honestly, Davion has looked better than Tyrese the last couple weeks if you ask me. I’m super biased but I’ve watched both closely.

"At first, you look at it when you get to the draft, they drafted you because they think it can happen," Mitchell told Cattles on Thursday. "Throughout the season, I think all of us are guys who kind of need the ball to impact the game. For me, it's a defensive thing too. But at the offensive end, I'm not a guy who can run off pin-downs and spot up and shoot, it's more off ball-screens, just like De'Aaron Fox, just like Tyrese Haliburton.

"But you got to think there's only one ball out there and none of us are really guys who catch and shoot. Tyrese can and De'Aaron can from time to time but it's not what we're comfortable doing. So I think at some point, you had to realize one of us got to go, just because we've got to get something else, a guy who can score ... also make plays but not ball-dominant like us three guards are."

It’s actually interesting that he said this out loud. He is basically saying that him and Fox have overlapping skills and are not an ideal fit as a pairing. Is he willing to accept a reserve role long term if that is the case?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
It’s actually interesting that he said this out loud. He is basically saying that him and Fox have overlapping skills and are not an ideal fit as a pairing. Is he willing to accept a reserve role long term if that is the case?
wasn't Davion quoted saying that he needed to improve his catch and shoot ability anyway?

wasn't Davion quoted saying that he needed to improve his catch and shoot ability anyway?
I’m sure he knows he needs to improve but his last line is pretty straightforward

“So I think at some point, you had to realize one of us got to go, just because we've got to get something else, a guy who can score ... also make plays but not ball-dominant like us three guards are."

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I’m sure he knows he needs to improve but his last line is pretty straightforward

“So I think at some point, you had to realize one of us got to go, just because we've got to get something else, a guy who can score ... also make plays but not ball-dominant like us three guards are."
both Fox and Davion will either have to sacrifice their games and/or continue to improve on their weaknesses

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
These stats with "he's the only player with x and y since z" is the worst thing to ever happened to the NBA, like what's the point of them seriously. Like the guy had a good game just leave it at that, it's not like this is some out of this world performance.
the sole purpose of those stats is for comparison reasons, we as humans want to compare everything we can set our minds to instead of letting it be for what it is individually

Nope. Davion gets shipped after Monte drafts another PG.
Funny - but Davion might get shipped. I could see him plus the draft pick netting a stud player that fits with Fox and Sabonis.

The Kings have way less talent than New Orleans and Minnesota now - and I expect the Lakers to be better next year. If the Kings can’t get another all star-ish player, they are toast.

To be clear, I’m a huge Davion fan and would be fine with him being a core piece. I think he can fit with Fox, but I don’t know if De’Aaron’s leadership abilities will hinder that from occurring.

Funny - but Davion might get shipped. I could see him plus the draft pick netting a stud player that fits with Fox and Sabonis.

The Kings have way less talent than New Orleans and Minnesota now - and I expect the Lakers to be better next year. If the Kings can’t get another all star-ish player, they are toast.

To be clear, I’m a huge Davion fan and would be fine with him being a core piece. I think he can fit with Fox, but I don’t know if De’Aaron’s leadership abilities will hinder that from occurring.
There is a more reasonable scenario where Fox gets shipped. The calculus really needs to shift from can Fox play with to can Sabonis play with. The sooner, the better.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
There is a more reasonable scenario where Fox gets shipped. The calculus really needs to shift from can Fox play with to can Sabonis play with. The sooner, the better.
Although the sample size is small, Fox and Sabonis have shown the ability to work well together. I have no qualms about that fit. So, if you really want success next year, the conversation needs to be about who is the best fit with the both of them, because that is how the FO is looking at things. They're not choosing between Fox or Sabonis. It's Fox AND Sabonis.

Although the sample size is small, Fox and Sabonis have shown the ability to work well together. I have no qualms about that fit. So, if you really want success next year, the conversation needs to be about who is the best fit with the both of them, because that is how the FO is looking at things. They're not choosing between Fox or Sabonis. It's Fox AND Sabonis.
Yep. Unless a stud for stud type move is out there, (Like Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Donovan Mitchell level), then we're moving forward with Fox/Sabonis. Monte knows he doesn't have the time to wait out a rebuilding package for Fox with the Sabonis UFA looming in 2 years.

More losses than wins is a strong early signal, is it not?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. Unless a stud for stud type move is out there, (Like Ingram, Jaylen Brown, Donovan Mitchell level), then we're moving forward with Fox/Sabonis. Monte knows he doesn't have the time to wait out a rebuilding package for Fox with the Sabonis UFA looming in 2 years.
Pretty much. I think McNair's plan A was to pair Hali and Sabonis by trading Fox to Indy, but a Fox/Sabonis pairing was plan B. At some point the team has to start building a winner instead of just moving pieces around.

And if I'm right and Fox was shopped at the deadline before the FO pivoted to trading Tyrese, then it would seem to indicate that a great deal for De'Aaron wasn't out there. He's likely more valuable to the Kings than what he'd net in trade.

So you build around that pair, try to make the playoffs and then reassess if need be.

More losses than wins is a strong early signal, is it not?
Only if you foolishly think a fired HC mid-season, lame duck interim- HC, no off-season, no training camp, 6 new players at the deadline, drastically changing your offensive focus from guard/perimeter to working in a High USG creator big doesn't matter.

But sure " MORE LOSSES, LULZ THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS HAHA"

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Here's the prob, ship Fox and you might as well ship Sabonis at the same time. No way he's putting up with a rebuild. He's already pretty much put out the hints of seeing what's what 2 years down the road. As far as Sabonis vs. Fox, we've seen it, Fox is still the only true go to level player on the team.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Pretty much. I think McNair's plan A was to pair Hali and Sabonis by trading Fox to Indy, but a Fox/Sabonis pairing was plan B. At some point the team has to start building a winner instead of just moving pieces around.

And if I'm right and Fox was shopped at the deadline before the FO pivoted to trading Tyrese, then it would seem to indicate that a great deal for De'Aaron wasn't out there. He's likely more valuable to the Kings than what he'd net in trade.

So you build around that pair, try to make the playoffs and then reassess if need be.
That could be true but I personally don't think so. I think it was clear once Fox mysteriously sat for an extended period and then came back right around the trade that they were showcasing the young guys. I think when the Kings talked to other teams they wanted Fox for free and Monte said no. If he thought Haliburton and Sabonis was enough talent than I have fears moving forward. He would have been big time wrong and Fox's play once used right proves it.

Only if you foolishly think a fired HC mid-season, lame duck interim- HC, no off-season, no training camp, 6 new players at the deadline, drastically changing your offensive focus from guard/perimeter to working in a High USG creator big doesn't matter.

But sure " MORE LOSSES, LULZ THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS HAHA"
Might as well blame low fan turnout, Holmes’ off the court issue, Fox’s NFT experiment, Domas time off, and other teams failing to tank properly (SA, in particular) while you’re at it.

Here's the prob, ship Fox and you might as well ship Sabonis at the same time. No way he's putting up with a rebuild. He's already pretty much put out the hints of seeing what's what 2 years down the road. As far as Sabonis vs. Fox, we've seen it, Fox is still the only true go to level player on the team.
Domas has two years remaining and he absolutely gets more money by re-signing. I’ll bet on him re-signing.

Last edited:
Fox wasn’t traded this season and that might suggest that there was a lack of value available in return – or it might be because he is currently the most qualified guard available to lead a post season push next season. But I can’t imagine there is going to be too much patience or sympathy for Fox from the front office if he doesn’t hit the ground running next year or if the coaching staff can’t play him alongside other good, young, hardworking, and relatively cheap talent like Davion. Fox sulked his way through the first half of a season where a coach lost his job and a young player committed to Sacramento was shipped out because change was needed. I don’t necessarily see him going and personally think he will do well next yr with Sabonis – but with a forgettable season committed to memory and his salary going up – if there is a player on the Kings who is walking on eggshells it is Fox.