On-Night Off-Night

Considering everything we've been told about Davion showing up to the gym at all hours and the team forcing him to go home, I think the point is that he would be the hardest worker on any team. He'll learn to take it a little easier on his body eventually (probably) but that's what you love to hear about any rookie. He's as committed to getting better as any player in recent memory. Turning a compliment into a condemnation of someone else is coming from you not the coach.
Who did I condemn?

On the topic of Kings Basketball and Rugby, the intensity on Sabonis' face is not dissimilar to that of the Springbok back row. And as great as NZ were, the Springbok's have been equally as great, just maybe not as consistent (from an All Black fan).

On the topic of Kings Basketball and Rugby, the intensity on Sabonis' face is not dissimilar to that of the Springbok back row. And as great as NZ were, the Springbok's have been equally as great, just maybe not as consistent (from an All Black fan).
Look at the W-L record between the two, South Africa has been great in World Cups knockout systems for sure.

In Rugby Union they are basically something similar to the USA basketball Team near unbeatable except for 2-3 choke jobs in the Rugby Union World Cup in semi finals/grand finals. in Rugby League (they perform the haka there to but different players) they get trashed by Australia in nearly every year for the past 30 years.

The actual dance has nothing to do with their success it's just basically the people of NZ play at a way higher level and get a lot of the elite talent that comes over from the Pacific Islands (Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Cook Islands and others) mixed with the huge Maori/European white talent they have already. Add to that it's the national sport (Rugby League a distant 2nd) AND elite coaching and it's pretty much game over for everyone other than Australia/South Africa/England getting the odd win every now and again.
So from a sport psych perspective, the dance is a way for the team to establish its culture. I believe the lead dude has to have some Maori roots, but everyone else just has to be from NZ. That's the team's foundation. The system (style of play, development system...) builds up from there.

No other team, whether it's a club or national team, does something similar to the Haka. Soccer teams, like Chelsea, have entrance songs that they've played since the 1960s (like Harry J All-Stars "Liquidator"), but its not quite the same. The Kings or even all-time winning franchises like the Niners, Yankees, or (NY/SF) Giants don't have any traditions that have persisted through different generations.

So from a sport psych perspective, the dance is a way for the team to establish its culture. I believe the lead dude has to have some Maori roots, but everyone else just has to be from NZ. That's the team's foundation. The system (style of play, development system...) builds up from there.

No other team, whether it's a club or national team, does something similar to the Haka. Soccer teams, like Chelsea, have entrance songs that they've played since the 1960s (like Harry J All-Stars "Liquidator"), but its not quite the same. The Kings or even all-time winning franchises like the Niners, Yankees, or (NY/SF) Giants don't have any traditions that have persisted through different generations.
This isn't true. Other Pacific Island teams that play rugby perform their own Haka. New Zealand national teams in other sports perform a Haka (including basketball). The Australian First nation rugby league team also (I believe) has started performing a ceremonial dance before matches. The Australian Rugby team (tries) to play Waltzing Matilda before home games. High school teams throughout NZ have their own Haka.

The person leading the Haka does not have to have Maori roots, as it is still performed when the team has no players of Maori decent.

The NZ All Blacks are not good because of the Haka. The nation is rugby mad. They have a strong relationship with Pacific Island nations who are built well for rugby. They are politically very savvy. They have a unique rugby style that dates back to the original all blacks. Their competition has beaten itself with internal politics (e.g., South Africa), couldn't sustain success and popularity vs other domestic sports (e.g., Australia) or just doesn't know how to play rugby (the entire northern hemisphere).

Let's also remind ourselves that the Haka is not simply a challenge to be performed prior to sporting events. From New zealand.com:

The Māori legend describing the origin of the haka paints it as a celebration of life.
The story goes that Tama-nui-te-ra, the sun god, and his wife Hine-Raumati, who embodies summer, had a son named Tane-rore.
On hot summer days, Tane-rore would dance for his mother, causing the air to quiver. This light, rapid movement was the foundation of all haka.
It would be culturally inappropriate and disingenuous for the Sacramento Kings, or any NBA franchise, to try and adopt a Haka. There was a time (I think) when Vlade used to lead a dance pre game that the players did together in the sideline. But that was for that team. It wouldn't mean anything to force it upon players moving through the team now. The closest tradition the Kings have is, for me, cow bells. And this isn't a bad tradition to have, since all NBA teams are more or less copies of each other. It is at least something that makes the Kings the Sacramento Kings.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't true. Other Pacific Island teams that play rugby perform their own Haka. New Zealand national teams in other sports perform a Haka (including basketball). The Australian First nation rugby league team also (I believe) has started performing a ceremonial dance before matches. The Australian Rugby team (tries) to play Waltzing Matilda before home games. High school teams throughout NZ have their own Haka.

The person leading the Haka does not have to have Maori roots, as it is still performed when the team has no players of Maori decent.

The NZ All Blacks are not good because of the Haka. The nation is rugby mad. They have a strong relationship with Pacific Island nations who are built well for rugby. They are politically very savvy. They have a unique rugby style that dates back to the original all blacks. Their competition has beaten itself with internal politics (e.g., South Africa), couldn't sustain success and popularity vs other domestic sports (e.g., Australia) or just doesn't know how to play rugby (the entire northern hemisphere).

Let's also remind ourselves that the Haka is not simply a challenge to be performed prior to sporting events. From New zealand.com:

It would be culturally inappropriate and disingenuous for the Sacramento Kings, or any NBA franchise, to try and adopt a Haka. There was a time (I think) when Vlade used to lead a dance pre game that the players did together in the sideline. But that was for that team. It wouldn't mean anything to force it upon players moving through the team now. The closest tradition the Kings have is, for me, cow bells. And this isn't a bad tradition to have, since all NBA teams are more or less copies of each other. It is at least something that makes the Kings the Sacramento Kings.
I think you're missing the point. The point isn't for the Kings to do the Haka. The point is the Haka is a team activity, which each individual member is required to learn and do. Hence the foundation for the team. It's a sports psychology perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
The narrative has shifted from ‘the KINGS suck at drafting‘ to ‘let’s trade away any good draft selection they make’.

Can’t we keep anybody? Jeez.
I have no problem trading Mitchell. He's our backup PG and 6th man. He's never going to co-exist with Fox due to the lack of size and poor personnel fit. If Fox couldn't play next to Haliburton, he won't be able to play next to Mitchell.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have no problem trading Mitchell. He's our backup PG and 6th man. He's never going to co-exist with Fox due to the lack of size and poor personnel fit. If Fox couldn't play next to Haliburton, he won't be able to play next to Mitchell.
To be fair, that issue might be more on Haliburton being unable to coexist next to other ball handlers. His games with Brogdan in Indiana were rough.

If Fox and Davion can get their 3 point shooting to a consistent 36% or better, I can see a Fox-Davion starting backcourt working in the future.

Utah starts two 6'1" guards (PG Mike Conley and SG Donovan Mitchell) in their backcourt and they are thriving. I think if the 3 point shooting comes around for Fox and Mitchell, they could make a good starting backcourt combo. Mitchell would guard the stronger offensive player on defense. It also helps Davion to play SG in that he is built like a tank, much like Donovan Mitchell ;).

Last edited:
Also, why is Mitchell now listed at 6'0", when at the NBA combine he was measured at 6'1.25" in shoes, 6'0" bare feet? Most NBA players are listed at their height with shoes, but Mitchell is not, seems odd to me. Through the NBA draft, Davion was listed at 6'1". Maybe he wants other players to think he is smaller than he is?

I mean yeah, that's ROY numbers of the course of a full-season. Reasonably good offensive numbers with of course the excellent defense. Assuming he continues his current trend over the next 5 games, we'll be at 19 games and nearly 700 minutes of excellent starter production.

I'm the biggest DDV fanboy, but it's become pretty clear to just start Davion at the 2 and get a coach understands how to stagger him and Fox properly.

Last edited:
Also, why is Mitchell now listed at 6'0", when at the NBA combine he was measured at 6'1.25" in shoes, 6'0" bare feet? Most NBA players are listed at their height with shoes, but Mitchell is not, seems odd to me. Through the NBA draft, Davion was listed at 6'1". Maybe he wants other players to think he is smaller than he is?
i stood next to him once he ain’t even 6ft tall. He’s bulky though

NBA has trended towards using barefoot measurements now. Ben McLemore was listed at 6'5 while he played for us. He's currently listed at 6'3.

However, not every team nor every player is abiding by the barefoot measurement.. yeah, it's just find of weird all-around. I don't think we can really put too much weight into the listed heights anymore, except for draft measurements.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
But, I mean, we all kind of knew somebody had to go, right? There was certainly disagreement among the fans about who should go, and I think there was a different general expectation about who would end up going, but we all knew somebody had to go. Which is why, outside of the initial gut-punch around the trade, I can't really complain that much. We turned an unworkable trio of guards into a much more workable pair of guards and a center, and while we gave up a potential future all star, we got a 25-year-old already 2x all star back.

And now Davion's showing out. I'm a big fan of Tyrese, but I'm a bigger fan of the Kings, so it's hard to complain too much.