OFFICIAL "Please, please, PLEASE don't hire Don Nelson!" thread

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That must be about two years old. It doesn't even touch on his health problems, which would have to be a consideration.

In addition, a lot of that stuff is about Nelson, the GM and not Nelson, the coach. I just don't see him as being a "change." I would rather see a total newcomer instead of a retread. If we're gonna change, then go for the BIG change.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
^^You should probably post a link to where you found that.

And NONE of that addresses the health problems that have come about since it was written.
Sorry, I thought about that after I posted it. Here you go:
nba.com/coachfile/don_nelson

And I agree on the health issues but I'm not hearing people doubt Nelson for his health as much as for his ability.

W

West_Gunslinger16

I think hiring Don nelson as a coach is inevitable. This scenario was pretty much like last year when the Lakers wanted to hire Phil as their coach. Some Kings fans say they don't like him but I think he would help the team to get that trophy. Plus, if the Kings hire this guy early, the trouble of getting another guard with our pick will be eliminated. He did turned Dirk into a superstar didn't he?

P.S. Anyone can explain to me why you guys don't want Don Nelson as coach? I'm confused and maybe a little lost........

Bricklayer said:
Well, do not know about disastrous, UNLESS he rubs some of our players (and of course Ron specifically) the wrong way.

But as a coach, he knows how to win int eh regular season, and never have a prayer in the playoffs. So not really disaster. Just very little chance of ever making any real noise. Lots of high scoring, solid win total, empty seasons of fluff.
i think its disastrous. he is adelman-lite in my opinion. of all the criticisms people had of adelman, they apply to nellie and probably to a greater extent. i will support the decision not to offer adelman an extension if we get an experienced, defensive minded coach coming in (i know none spring to mind that are available). i refuse to accept that this decision was made for any other reason. its really the only logical reason in my opinion...

West_Gunslinger16 said:
P.S. Anyone can explain to me why you guys don't want Don Nelson as coach? I'm confused and maybe a little lost........
Because he knows less about winning in the postseason than the haters say Rick did, and in just about every way it'd be a step backwards?

LOL this thread is funny.

Look at the bright side. If he is our coach we will never see him because he will always be getting kicked out of games. HAHA

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ANYTHING HOLY IN THIS WORLD DO NOT HIRE NELLIE!!!!

You Nellie haters have short attention spans. You seem to believe Nellie can't coach defense. Many of you complained the same thing about Adelman. The fact is players have to have it in them to play defense or not, it's not a coaching problem. It's a will to do it. Any Nellie haters remember or even know that he coached a very tough defensive team in Milwaulkee? No of course you don't. Or you wouldn't be saying Don Nelson can't coach defense.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingsOwn said:
You Nellie haters have short attention spans. You seem to believe Nellie can't coach defense. Many of you complained the same thing about Adelman. The fact is players have to have it in them to play defense or not, it's not a coaching problem. It's a will to do it. Any Nellie haters remember or even know that he coached a very tough defensive team in Milwaulkee? No of course you don't. Or you wouldn't be saying Don Nelson can't coach defense.
Its nice to know we have posters who have only recently come out of a 20yr coma. The last time Nellie coached a good defensive team 1/4 of the posters on this board weren't even born yet. And even then he was STILL smallballing, and STILL won nothing.

Nellie is one of the best evaluators of little men talent I have seen. But he is completely bleeping clueless about everyone else. Has no idea whatsoever what a real PF looks like or is supposed to do. Couldn't evaluate a center if his life depended on it. And so has spent 30 years -- 30 years! -- coaching and not once even gotten a team to the Finals, let alone won the whole thing.

Ah I get it, so because I am so old that I actually know that Nellie CAN coach defense my opinion is invalid. Bricklayer you sound just like just another Nellie hater with no real evidence to back up your opinion.

Fact is if Adelman can coach D with this squad, which he showed ability to do so latter half of the season, so can Nellie.

In my humble ELDER opinion, it isn't Adelman that brought the Kings around to playing D anyway, it is the respect that the mere presence of Artest demands.

Anyway, I could care less what coach we get. I just find all the unjustified Nelson bashing humorous.

to the maloofs, with the players we have now the kings have a legitimate shot at being one of the top defensive teams in the league next year. before we signed artest we gave up 101ppg. after we got him we gave up 94ppg. with kevin martin emerging this team is more athletic and more physical. everyone praised the kings after giving the spurs hell in the 1st round. i say sign a larry brown or someone who will bring a defense mentality.

tyrant said:
to the maloofs, with the players we have now the kings have a legitimate shot at being one of the top defensive teams in the league next year. before we signed artest we gave up 101ppg. after we got him we gave up 94ppg. with kevin martin emerging this team is more athletic and more physical. everyone praised the kings after giving the spurs hell in the 1st round. i say sign a larry brown or someone who will bring a defense mentality.
I'm all for a more defensive posture, look at how we turned around the season. It was Artest that did that with his will to win and his right hand man Bonzi. :D I think we'll be o.k. next year, but we need to sign Bonzi and shed K9 and Miller, as well as Corliss/Pota.. expiring contracts and really strengthen up our bench. Bring back Bobby for $3M/yr if he will play for that...we also need some size off the bench as well as a nice strong Center who defends, rebounds, and shoot blocks. SAR can be our starting PF with the center mentioned to do the things he doesn't do so well so he can concentrate on posting up and scoring.

KingsOwn said:
Bricklayer you sound just like just another Nellie hater with no real evidence to back up your opinion.
What evidence does he need? We have a 20 year career of evidence to prove Nellie is a regular season coach only. Are you kidding me.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingsOwn said:
Ah I get it, so because I am so old that I actually know that Nellie CAN coach defense my opinion is invalid. Bricklayer you sound just like just another Nellie hater with no real evidence to back up your opinion.

Fact is if Adelman can coach D with this squad, which he showed ability to do so latter half of the season, so can Nellie.

In my humble ELDER opinion, it isn't Adelman that brought the Kings around to playing D anyway, it is the respect that the mere presence of Artest demands.

Anyway, I could care less what coach we get. I just find all the unjustified Nelson bashing humorous.
No. No real evidence at all.

Besides the man's own coaching record year after year after year of course. I am old enough, barely, to remember those Bucks team as well. That would not change the fact that its illogical at best to ignore literally decades of ineptitude to point back to some distant point in the past when the Cold War was still on, the Kings were in Kansas City, and everybody still associated the name Madonna with a religious figure.

The Don Nelson of the post-paleoithic era does not seem to have any real understanding of defense. If his best defensive players also happen to be his best offensive players, then he will play them. If they are not, then he won't. All of schemes and rotations are based around offensive mismatches. And then you just do your best with whatever that does to you on the other end of the floor. Nor was it really that much different in Milwaulkee. He had a couple of outstanding defenders in Pressey and Moncrief, but they were also some of his better offensive players. He was still playing an undersized tweener forward at PF (Cummings), a couple of stiffs at center, and still getting squashed in the playoffs whenever he ran into the Celtics who actually understood the value of big men.

KingsOwn said:

Nellie also had basically the same team that Dallas has now. Nellie couldn't get Dirk to play any D. Now that Avery took over Dallas looks like a completely new team.

Bricklayer said:
yes, like he did in a surprise desperation matchup move.

Only he would be starting and playing there all year. And just like every single year of Nellie's interminable coaching career, we would lose in the end to the teams playing full size defensive ball.

Press release: Kings trade Ron Artest for Jalen Rose
SacTownKid: I have complete confidence in the (fill in the blanks). We won 50 games a year long before Ron arrived. I see no problem. You are all overreacting. Its all good. Great even. I feel blessed to be a fan of such a briliant franchise. ;)
Yeah, uh, ok. I don't think so. I am not the ultimate homer, just have a little more faith than some of the fairweather fans like yourself. ;)

I'll say this they would be fun to watch, I mean if they re-sign Bonzi this team is all about creating matchup problems, and no matter what with Artest on the floor you won't be horrible defensively. However I do think Nellie is basically a poor mans Adelman, they have similar styles but Adelman showed time and time again he could outcoach Nellie.

Nellie would be a horrible mistake. I was ready for Adelman to go because I think we needed a fresh voice but Nellie is not going to improve us as a team, only more of the same. One thing to factor in is not just any coach can coach Artest. So I am a little worried about who we get that it will cause Artest to go off. He is fragile. Every King's off season is full of surprises.

I am not too sure here is an article from Mark Stein. Take it for whats it worth.

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Sacramento Kings co-owner Joe Maloof has not ruled out Don Nelson as a candidate to replace the deposed Rick Adelman, but Maloof stopped well short of describing Nelson as the favorite to take over as Kings.
In a phone interview Wednesday with ESPN.com, Maloof confirmed that Nelson's reputation for free-wheeling offense -- as opposed to the defensive mindset Joe and brother Gavin Maloof crave -- gives the Kings some hesitation.
"We love Nellie," Maloof said. "But we do feel like defense has to be the priority. We've seen it with the Kings and we've seen it with our WNBA team -- defense wins championships."
Nelson already works for the Maloofs as one of the stars in a television project that could wind up on HBO. George Clooney is producing a show for the Maloofs' entertainment arm in which Nelson serves as the coach of a fictional expansion team, along with former NBA stars Vlade Divac, Norm Nixon and Marques Johnson.
The friendship they now share from the TV connection has linked Nelson to the Sacramento job for months, with Adelman's departure anticipated in NBA coaching circles all season after the Maloofs' brief flirtation last summer with Phil Jackson and with Adelman coaching on the final year of his contract. But there are basketball reasons to link Nelson with the opening as well.
Nelson is one of the few available coaches with a résumé that compares favorably to Adelman's, after Sacramento reached the postseason in each of his eight seasons. Nelson's sideline presence and considerable experience also hold appeal, with the Kings needing a successor who can reach Ron Artest. Finding someone to click with the enigmatic swingman is a primary consideration, since the Maloofs are committed to building around Artest after he headlined Sacramento's transformation from a 17-24 straggler into a playoff team.
Artest told ESPN.com in early April that he wasn't expecting to get a vote from his new bosses but that he hoped Adelman would receive a contract extension for his role in getting Sacramento's revival. "Hopefully we can stay together," Artest said at the time.
He then repeated his preference in even stronger terms after the Kings were eliminated by San Antonio in the first round. Although league rules preclude such gestures, Artest said he would forfeit next season's $7.5 million salary if Adelman and free agent-to-be Bonzi Wells were re-signed.
NBA coaching sources say Sacramento is not required to ask Dallas for permission to speak Nelson, who remains on the Mavericks' payroll as a team consultant. Nelson, who turns 66 on Monday, is a coaching free agent at season's end and thus free to entertain job offers for 2006-07.
Joe Maloof, though, said the Kings' coaching search is only just starting. Maloof anticipates team president Geoff Petrie assembling a list of candidates by week's end that is quickly whittled to four or five finalists who will be interviewed.
"We haven't talked to anyone yet," Maloof said.
Yet he did stress that the final decision on Adelman's replacement will be ownership's as much as Petrie's, in spite of Petrie's reputation as one of league's most accomplished team builders.
"We have to be heavily involved, because this decision is so important for the future of the franchise," Maloof said. "We want to do this as quickly as possible and then leave Geoff and [the new coach] alone."
ESPN.com on Tuesday identified San Antonio Spurs assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo and former Kings assistant Terry Porter, both former NBA head coaches, as likely names for Petrie's list.
Carlesimo is a natural candidate if the Kings elect to model themselves after San Antonio, as the Cleveland Cavaliers did last offseason by hiring Spurs alumni Danny Ferry and Mike Brown as their new GM-coach tandem.
Porter has been out of the league for a year after coaching the Milwaukee Bucks for two seasons and has also surfaced as a possible replacement on Flip Saunders' staff in Detroit for N.C. State-bound Sidney Lowe.
It should be noted that Nelson, fond as he is of the Maloofs, has his own reservations about a return to coaching. The Kings would have to lure him out of X-and-O retirement if they do want Nelson to come to Sacramento for an interview, after the 27-year bench veteran enjoyed what he often refers to as "the year of my life" since resigning as coach of the Mavericks in March 2005.

I have no idea how to format so sorry if its a little hard to read....heres the link

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2440697

Last edited:
I wish people would use Artest's actual quote on the playing for free thing. He said that he would play for free if they could bring Bonzi back. That's all he said and then a reporter said, "what about coach Adelman" and Ron said something like, "Yeah, him too."

They act like he said he was going to flip out if they didn't bring Rick back or something. He didn't even bring Rick Adelman up at first.

floydian said:
"We love Nellie," Maloof said. "But we do feel like defense has to be the priority. We've seen it with the Kings and we've seen it with our WNBA team -- defense wins championships."

(but it isn't over...)

Last edited: