No qualifying offer for DDV?

Sorry, i misunderstood his intent. Like i said, the only move i see here is absorbing the contract of another star/borderline star like collins, hayword or as part of absorbing 16M as part of a max offer S/T for Milea Bridges (sending back Holmes and Harkless and a FRP). I dont see any realistic needle movers available for $16M and we would have had the bird rights to DDV allowing us to sign him for above the cap if necessary. This move means they were not satisfied with either his progress healing or his attitude or both.
The cap hold had no bearing on being able to sign another player or do a sign and trade. The Kings were roughly $26 mil over the cap. They would have to reduce the holds/salary by $37 mil to get and additional $1 mill of cap space over the $10 mil MLE.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm displeased by this and to be honest a bit shocked that DDV isn't someone not only Monte would find useful but also Coach Brown.

Question does not extending a QO also cost us his Bird rights or is that a separate act of renouncing him altogether? I can see that DDV possibly has given his number to Monte and they said it ain't happening and are planning to pursue new targets (Oladipo?). That said they could have a side deal where they come back to the table if DDV isn't getting the $$$ he wants and the Kings whiff on another player.

You know like when a monogamous couple agrees to see other people. 99% of the time it's over but occasionally they say "hey, grass wasn't greener".

DDV seemed happy to be wanted in Sac but his agent seemed to poison the well with the whole price of the QO deal, I don't think DDV was ever actually going to sign the QO so who cares?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The only way it makes sense is if Monte is bringing in a star 2-guard. I'm not holding my breath.
We can upgrade the position without a star, but I know what you are saying and otherwise agree. He better have a move already in place. It may be a rumored trade package because uh, talking to free agents before 3pm PDT tomorrow would be a big no no :D

Not sure what this is about to be honest. Clearly our best option at SG and someone that fits really well with Fox as a jack of all trades, master of none type role player.

This move doesn’t make sense! Why would you give away an asset like that? Especially someone that you traded for twice. Its not like you have cap space so that you don’t want that hold on the cap. Unless that ankle is worse than we thought?

I’m not surprised by this at all. I’ll copy and paste what I wrote in another thread last week,
People keep bringing up what DD did a couple seasons ago, but we’re in the present. What does he bring to the team now? The conversation would be different if he were a rookie, but he’s entering his 5th league in the NBA.

Adding onto this, you could put any decent shooter in the starting lineup for the Bucks and they’d probably still win the championship.

I really don’t know where to love for DDV comes from. He’s a straight chucker and shot an overall shot 36% from the field.

He’s not a starting SG in the league. If he were, Milwaukee wouldn’t have given him away for free.
I’m open to bringing him back on the cheap. TD is a better SG than DDV.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Another thought, let's say Monte wanted to sign him to a 2 year deal of any amount, they can have that offer on the table while letting him shop around, any team that offers him a deal won't have an incentive to jack up the contract some ungodly amount just to see if we blink, so odds are they will just offer whatever they think he's worth. No poison pill kickers or other BS because if he signs he signs. Assuming we haven't renounced him, is the cap hold lower than the QO?

Another thought, let's say Monte wanted to sign him to a 2 year deal of any amount, they can have that offer on the table while letting him shop around, any team that offers him a deal won't have an incentive to jack up the contract some ungodly amount just to see if we blink, so odds are they will just offer whatever they think he's worth. No poison pill kickers or other BS because if he signs he signs. Assuming we haven't renounced him, is the cap hold lower than the QO?
Heck no, his cap hold is like 14 million. If the Kings do have a deal lined up then they'd have to renounce him anyway to get that space. Which is like 4 million less after picking up the options on the somewhat redundant duo of Metu/Lyles.

Very surprised by this. Thought he was a Monte guy. Perhaps they have an idea of the market for him and it’s a little higher than they anticipated it was going to be.

I just hope it means there is some legit targets they like better. Guys that bring the same defensive scrappiness and ball handing ability, but are perhaps less streaky shooters and less likely to take the terrible shots DDV took.

TD is way too feast or famine to be the full time answer at shooting guard.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
So potentially the Kings can still re-sign DiVincenzo using his Bird rights even though they declined to extend a QO?

If so, is it possible they've already agreed with Donte and his agent on the framework of a deal but declined the QO to open up cap room?

Otherwise I can only conclude that McNair traded for Donte after pursuing him for two seasons only to let him walk for nothing which makes no sense to me.

So potentially the Kings can still re-sign DiVincenzo using his Bird rights even though they declined to extend a QO?

If so, is it possible they've already agreed with Donte and his agent on the framework of a deal but declined the QO to open up cap room?

Otherwise I can only conclude that McNair traded for Donte after pursuing him for two seasons only to let him walk for nothing which makes no sense to me.
It also Makes sense if the cap room is needed to bring on salary in a trade

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

But declining to QO doesn't open up cap room. The Bird rights still have a cap hold.

I don't see any cap "loopholes" here, and I think the CBA was designed to specifically avoid them in this area.

The only thing that really makes sense to me is that the Kings - for whatever reason - didn't want to risk having DDV on the payroll at $6.6M for one year (that's the risk of him accepting the QO - if he got an RFA offer we didn't want to match, we could just decline to match). So do they think that's an overpay? I kind of doubt it. Which means they're either happy to move on (also makes little sense given the pursuit) or they've got some irons in the fire that, if they come to fruition, would make them regret a DDV contract at 1/$6.6M. Or maybe Ham was right and DDV was super unhappy and so they just let him go rather than try to coerce an unhappy player to stay.

The last one almost makes the most sense. RFA allows the Kings to let sit back and let the market dictate the contract. DDV may have felt that the Kings used him in such a way as to depress the value of that contract, and if he's going to come back, it will be on his terms (years/$$) in an open negotiation rather than in terms of what a depressed market might offer. And we figured we'd rather not have an angry player, I guess?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
But declining to QO doesn't open up cap room. The Bird rights still have a cap hold.

I don't see any cap "loopholes" here, and I think the CBA was designed to specifically avoid them in this area.

The only thing that really makes sense to me is that the Kings - for whatever reason - didn't want to risk having DDV on the payroll at $6.6M for one year (that's the risk of him accepting the QO - if he got an RFA offer we didn't want to match, we could just decline to match). So do they think that's an overpay? I kind of doubt it. Which means they're either happy to move on (also makes little sense given the pursuit) or they've got some irons in the fire that, if they come to fruition, would make them regret a DDV contract at 1/$6.6M. Or maybe Ham was right and DDV was super unhappy and so they just let him go rather than try to coerce an unhappy player to stay.

The last one almost makes the most sense. RFA allows the Kings to let sit back and let the market dictate the contract. DDV may have felt that the Kings used him in such a way as to depress the value of that contract, and if he's going to come back, it will be on his terms (years/$$) in an open negotiation rather than in terms of what a depressed market might offer. And we figured we'd rather not have an angry player, I guess?
Yep, forgot about the cap hold even as an UFA. And renouncing him would mean zero chance of resigning so no way to free up cap and still have him return. I'm with you. Unless they just granted his wish to move on because he was really unhappy this all makes no sense to me.

If all this is true then we have just the MLE and biannual to improve the team (aside from trades). If we weren’t planning on bringing DDV back why do we have a roster crunch?

If all this is true then we have just the MLE and biannual to improve the team (aside from trades). If we weren’t planning on bringing DDV back why do we have a roster crunch?
We’ve always only had the MLE, BAE and TPE to improve the team. The roster crunch is because of all the bigs on the team. We have over 40 mil on 4 C’s

We’ve always only had the MLE, BAE and TPE to improve the team. The roster crunch is because of all the bigs on the team. We have over 40 mil on 4 C’s
what I was getting at is we were told we punted the second round pick because we were concerned about roster spots. DDV not coming back opens up at least one more spot and if they knew they weren’t going to sign him then make the pick

what I was getting at is we were told we punted the second round pick because we were concerned about roster spots. DDV not coming back opens up at least one more spot and if they knew they weren’t going to sign him then make the pick
Gotcha, yea there’s no logical explanation for punting on the 2nd round pick in general when there was still talent on the board. Especially for two late 2nds years down the road. That was a pretty unexplainable move.

And this would be either a pointless exercise or literally bidding against yourself. A QO should realistically scare teams away on a player like this. I mean, I can see how for the Kings it could also not force an overpay by a team but it's likely MLE or bust for Donte anyway.

I've brought this up before, was Donte really ever that guy to Monte? Or was he just there and available? Think about what Donte fetched. Like Monte couldn't have gotten him before? Yeah, he was coming off injury but still. We know that Monte didn't approach the Bucks with Bogdan looking for Donte. If he did the Kings would be light a few draft picks.

And I'm pretty sure the roster crunch stuff is BS anyway. You can go up to like 20 guys in the offseason. Also, really? Roster crunch as they pick up the options on PF numbers 3 and 4? lol.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And I'm pretty sure the roster crunch stuff is BS anyway. You can go up to like 20 guys in the offseason. Also, really? Roster crunch as they pick up the options on PF numbers 3 and 4? lol.
But guaranteed contracts are guaranteed contracts. You can go up to 20, but then you have to get back down. Sure, you can trade a guy away in the meantime, or waive a guaranteed contract, but the point of calling it a "roster crunch" is to point out that if you have 14 guaranteed contracts and you want to sign three more, you have to find some way eventually to get rid of two.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

And without the RFA we’ve depressed his market value further. If this was a peeing contest, Monte may have cut off his nose to spite his face but damn, that’s savage.

But guaranteed contracts are guaranteed contracts. You can go up to 20, but then you have to get back down. Sure, you can trade a guy away in the meantime, or waive a guaranteed contract, but the point of calling it a "roster crunch" is to point out that if you have 14 guaranteed contracts and you want to sign three more, you have to find some way eventually to get rid of two.
Like on draft night, you can figure it out in time. Let things flow and see where they go.

Gotcha, yea there’s no logical explanation for punting on the 2nd round pick in general when there was still talent on the board. Especially for two late 2nds years down the road. That was a pretty unexplainable move.
I think the only real possible explanation is that it's easier, and probably more desirable to the receiving team, to include a couple second round picks to a trade than it is to include a second round guy we just drafted.