No qualifying offer for DDV?

More wasted assets. Whatever. Wtf not.
I'm guessing his camp asked out and Monte folded.
and you'd think DD would want to stay considering there is basically nobody in front of him at SG.
But then again we are the Kangz.

So much for that, GM of the year garbage I've been hearing around here.

After this move, I know we could have got more assets and Murray with a average Gm who had all the leverage in the world!

But I'm sure another one of those, "well where you in the room with the gm, how do you know" comments are coming.

This was a big waste, I don't even care for the guy and realize you don't just let him walk for nothing!

This is utter bullcrap. Why on earth would you have moved bagley's $11M then? I dont care if hr wasn't going to sign with us again. You don't give up leverage with your asset! The only thing im hoping is that he has a better move in mind/agreed on and needs the $16M against the cap for the move... But i dont see what on earth that could be.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We didn't have any real leverage though. Vlade drafted Bagley, not Monte. That was already a wasted asset before he even took the job. Moving him for a player Monte had tried to acquire a year earlier made sense at the time and it was pretty obvious no better deals were on the table. Now that Donte is a free agent he has a number in mind of what he's looking for and if Monte doesn't plan to match that and some other team will, there's really no reason to pick up the QO. If we pick up the QO and don't intend to match whatever contract he's offered we're just cutting into our own cap space and letting other teams determine when we get to use it.

We need shooting, he wasn't actually providing much of it from what we saw last year. Also possible he wasn't "all in" with the Kings, and so we move on.

Giving him an offer, together with our three cheap F/C projects, would of eaten most of our free agency budget today - limiting possible moves for tomorrow. Hoping for an upgraded shooter via trade or signing

We need shooting, he wasn't actually providing much of it from what we saw last year. Also possible he wasn't "all in" with the Kings, and so we move on.

Giving him an offer, together with our three cheap F/C projects, would of eaten most of our free agency budget today - limiting possible moves for tomorrow. Hoping for an upgraded shooter via trade or signing
Exactly. The whole Monte-is-sooooo-dumb thing - gettin' old, y'all.

Last edited:
We didn't have any real leverage though. Vlade drafted Bagley, not Monte. That was already a wasted asset before he even took the job. Moving him for a player Monte had tried to acquire a year earlier made sense at the time and it was pretty obvious no better deals were on the table. Now that Donte is a free agent he has a number in mind of what he's looking for and if Monte doesn't plan to match that and some other team will, there's really no reason to pick up the QO. If we pick up the QO and don't intend to match whatever contract he's offered we're just cutting into our own cap space and letting other teams determine when we get to use it.
The Kings could rescind the QO at any time. The ONLY risk was DDV taking the QO immediately.

I'm not even mad at Monte. Just find it funny that yhall so riled up over this--this is what a middle manager would do. Monte is not comfortable with creativity and unknowns. Dude draws straight lines and gravitates towards high floors. The (very minimal) risk that DDV would jump and take the QO before the Kings could rescind it before executing a larger trade was too much risk for our processing, processing, processing, processing GM to take.

Well with $16M cap hit removed, $10M MLE AND $4M BAE monte better go make some moves. Go bring Oladipo and throw a 2025 FRP (lotto protected) for a guy like Vassel. Go get both martin twins and Bamba... Just do something to make this move make sense. I get so frustrated with this FO as the free agency moves rarely make any bit of sense. This is gonna be the same bullcrap as trading delon wright for TT and then move on from TT. Musical F'ing chairs.

The Kings could rescind the QO at any time. The ONLY risk was DDV taking the QO immediately.

I'm not even mad at Monte. Just find it funny that yhall so riled up over this--this is what a middle manager would do. Monte is not comfortable with creativity and unknowns. Dude draws straight lines and gravitates towards high floors. The (very minimal) risk that DDV would jump and take the QO before the Kings could rescind it before executing a larger trade was too much risk for our processing, processing, processing, processing GM to take.
I get the whole process oriented guy, but at some point you need to move with pace. The whole turtle beating the hare doesnt work 9/10 because the hares in the league (other efficient GMs) arent lazy crapbags like the hare in the story, but our own resident Eyore plods along at such a snails pace that by the time he gets to the party, all relevant FA are gone. I hope im wrong here but im willing to het he has no real move in the bag. Just a bunch of white board dreams.

The only move so far based on previous rumors that makes a lick of sense is they will move for collins and absorb some of his contract with this space and send a future FRP back to hawks (who themselves just shipped 3 and a swap for the 4th for Murray). With DDVs $16M cap hist gone, they can send Holmes and a 1st for Collins, or even Len and Harkless which will give Hawks $15.1M in cap relief this year and another $8.4M next year. That still allows us to use MLE on Hartenstein, Bamba, Martin twins ect.

Last edited:
I get the whole process oriented guy, but at some point you need to move with pace. The whole turtle beating the hare doesnt work 9/10 because the hares in the league (other efficient GMs) arent lazy crapbags like the hare in the story, but our own resident Eyore plods along at such a snails pace that by the time he gets to the party, all relevant FA are gone. I hope im wrong here but im willing to het he has no real move in the bag. Just a bunch of white board dreams.
Yea, there ain't nothing wrong with a turtle or a middle manager type. Some leaders are best suited for periods of war. Others are best suited for peace. I have always been of the belief that small market teams need bold GMs. That's the only way you'll have a chance of winning it all--even if it means trusting Hinkie's Process. But that's me. For others, the conservative McNair type is just fine. This is what you get with a McNair type. Under his reign and over a 10 year period, the Kings might get lucky and win a championship. But someone like Presti would've won a championship, undergone a total rebuild, and won another at the end of that ten year window. I like Presti types.

Not a good start and a puzzling move. If Monte doesn’t sign a good enough replacement, he can’t get away with “he doesn’t want to stay here@ bullcrap, the RFA exists for a reason

Now you are just trying to ram everything into your poor "middle manager" analogy. A middle manager (you use it disparagingly, despite there being lots of really good middle managers, so you must mean someone with no real authority who makes the safe moves, and keeps things moving without creativity) would ALWAYS take the safe and controlled move. Such a person would take the safe move and try not to draw attention to himself. He would keep things moving one step in front of the other with no deviation from a plan that was set by someone else, and would try as best as he could to be safely "in the pack" and not an outlier.

This isn't a safe move that allows him to put one foot in front of the other and keep the status quo. It is the opposite. It is a move that creates an immediate roster hole that demands that he make a big and bold move to follow it, or fail completely. By not keeping DDV, he has created a situation where he must be creative about the roster. A "middle manager," as you use the term, would never want to expose himself to that type of risk and variability. The middle manager would have made the move that everyone else would have made (extend the offer) and stay safely in the pack, trying not to draw too much attention.

You can certainly think this was a bad or dumb move (I do), but stop with the tired middle manager tripe. You have said it so often, and in response to literally every move, that it has lost all meaning on this board.

Now you are just trying to ram everything into your poor "middle manager" analogy. A middle manager (you use it disparagingly, despite there being lots of really good middle managers, so you must mean someone with no real authority who makes the safe moves, and keeps things moving without creativity) would ALWAYS take the safe and controlled move. Such a person would take the safe move and try not to draw attention to himself. He would keep things moving one step in front of the other with no deviation from a plan that was set by someone else, and would try as best as he could to be safely "in the pack" and not an outlier.

This isn't a safe move that allows him to put one foot in front of the other and keep the status quo. It is the opposite. It is a move that creates an immediate roster hole that demands that he make a big and bold move to follow it, or fail completely. By not keeping DDV, he has created a situation where he must be creative about the roster. A "middle manager," as you use the term, would never want to expose himself to that type of risk and variability. The middle manager would have made the move that everyone else would have made (extend the offer) and stay safely in the pack, trying not to draw too much attention.

You can certainly think this was a bad or dumb move (I do), but stop with the tired middle manager tripe. You have said it so often, and in response to literally every move, that it has lost all meaning on this board.
I like smart managers whether they're in the first or second chair. Smart managers tend to be able to go backwards and forward, utilize the QO on a temporary basis to protect against losing an asset, and then rescind it when there's a bigger trade on the table. The Kings lose nothing from applying that strategy. Nothing.

I like smart managers whether they're in the first or second chair. Smart managers tend to be able to go backwards and forward, utilize the QO on a temporary basis to protect against losing an asset, and then rescind it when there's a bigger trade on the table. The Kings lose nothing from applying that strategy. Nothing.
I agree completely. I only disagree with the middle manager moniker. Doesn’t fit this circumstance at all.

Except that isnt what happened here. They never offered it in order to rescind it. That strategy was not what was done... Who knows, maybe they will make a swing for the fences tomorrow, but id be surprised. Most likely we will be disappointed, but i will be the first to admit I'm wrong if monte pulls an impressive move here. I just dont see any rumors out there showing us as active in any free agent talks. I know this FO is notoriously tight lipped, but agents for various players aren't. Other offices aren't. If a move was going to be made there would be some discussion somewhere, and i see absolutely nothing there.

this doesn't mean Donte is gone. It's simply letting the market dictate his value and Monte deciding from there if it's worth matching or not. I like it, not investing long term and big money in role players if you don't have to.
that isn’t true. Monte gave up the guaranteed right to match. I mean, maybe he gets the chance to match if DDV tells him the offer and asks him to match because he really wants to stay in Sac, but there is nothing stopping DDV from just signing a deal elsewhere.

I think that is his point. That is what we should have done, even if we didn’t intend to sign DDV. Why give up your leverage for free, before free agency even starts? Monte could have rescinded the QO at any time.
Sorry, i misunderstood his intent. Like i said, the only move i see here is absorbing the contract of another star/borderline star like collins, hayword or as part of absorbing 16M as part of a max offer S/T for Milea Bridges (sending back Holmes and Harkless and a FRP). I dont see any realistic needle movers available for $16M and we would have had the bird rights to DDV allowing us to sign him for above the cap if necessary. This move means they were not satisfied with either his progress healing or his attitude or both.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
this doesn't mean Donte is gone. It's simply letting the market dictate his value and Monte deciding from there if it's worth matching or not. I like it, not investing long term and big money in role players if you don't have to.
We don't have to be bagging on Monty in order to understand that this decision is odd. And by not making a qualifying offer the only advantage would be if Dante's best offer is somehow under the qualifying offer. Otherwise we were always free to let the market dictate his value.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
that isn’t true. Monte gave up the guaranteed right to match. I mean, maybe he gets the chance to match if DDV tells him the offer and asks him to match because he really wants to stay in Sac, but there is nothing stopping DDV from just signing a deal elsewhere.
whoops! my mistake then.

It is the exact opposite of what you are talking about

The only reason this would make ANY sense is if Monte already has a trade lined up for a starting Shooting Guard and he knew DDV would not take a backup role and he needed his cap hold to complete the deal.

Otherwise, this is a Vlade level move and doing a "solid" for a player to let them go and screwing the Kings of any assets in the process. That would be just plain dumb!