No qualifying offer for DDV?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Like on draft night, you can figure it out in time. Let things flow and see where they go.
I think we may be operating under different ideas of what "roster crunch" means. To me, "roster crunch" doesn't mean you can't sign the guys you're interested in, it means you have to (eventually) trade somebody or eat money to do it.

I think we may be operating under different ideas of what "roster crunch" means. To me, "roster crunch" doesn't mean you can't sign the guys you're interested in, it means you have to (eventually) trade somebody or eat money to do it.
I'm guessing/hoping Monte is using the words roster crunch in a way that's directly connected to this Donte move but obviously he can't come out and say, "Yeah we are trying to save some money to trade for this guy or make this move over here." haha.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Shocked he got that little 8-12 was the expected range from all the Twitter tweeting heads.
His agent can thank Monty for that in part. Last season when they were complaining about the kings driving DVD value down they may well have pissed off the wrong guy. Once Monty refused to make the QO it was kind of a signal to the league that his value is well below 9 a year.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
If we are being fair, DDV is an energy guy at SG. Works hard on the defensive end, can create a bit, but he sure as hell chucked it up from everywhere when he came over. His shooting percentages have always been suspect.

I wonder if when he came over, DDV was all about DDV and tried to build his value at the Kings expense. Just a thought.

The other thing is Monk who is clearly a superior offensive player IS good friends with Fox and that means something. Fox and Monk need to bring Bam over to SAC now. Make it happen.

It's funny how the most successful franchise grabs up guys the Kings aren't interested in keeping. WCS, Bazemore, Bjelica, now DDV.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If we are being fair, DDV is an energy guy at SG. Works hard on the defensive end, can create a bit, but he sure as hell chucked it up from everywhere when he came over. His shooting percentages have always been suspect.

I wonder if when he came over, DDV was all about DDV and tried to build his value at the Kings expense. Just a thought.

The other thing is Monk who is clearly a superior offensive player IS good friends with Fox and that means something. Fox and Monk need to bring Bam over to SAC now. Make it happen.
If you want to be fair, how about the fact that he was coming off a major injury, which everyone, including McNair knew about, and from which one could presume that next year his performance would be better than last year's. Also to be fair, he's one of the better rebounding guards in the league, which this team needs. Whether Fox is friends with Monk or not should be totally immaterial to the deal.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
If you want to be fair, how about the fact that he was coming off a major injury, which everyone, including McNair knew about, and from which one could presume that next year his performance would be better than last year's. Also to be fair, he's one of the better rebounding guards in the league, which this team needs. Whether Fox is friends with Monk or not should be totally immaterial to the deal.
I think offensively, Monk is undeniably an upgrade. You have to kind of read the tea leaves to see if he can do some of the little things that DDV does, but when the shots aren't falling for Fox or Sabonis, I'm confident Monk can explode in the second unit and right the ship.

His numbers weren’t much different if at all from pre-injury, to what he was with the Kings though. So I’m not sure that affected very much at all. Rebounding guards isn’t necessarily a talent one has and others don’t, it’s truly and effort stat. There are small guards who are great at rebounding, there are taller guards who don’t have great rebounding numbers, physical guards and nuanced guards who have both good and bad rebounding numbers. What it all boils down to is effort. Out of all the Kings flaws, I think finding a strong rebounding guard is very low on the list of priorities.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah, cool your jets. I don’t dislike DDV but I also think he was replaceable very easily. I’d go so far as to say I’d rather have Davion starting or that TD is as good as DDV. And then Monte went out and actually got 2 guys in Monk and Huerter who can shoot. I’ll take the 2 guys who can shoot.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think offensively, Monk is undeniably an upgrade. You have to kind of read the tea leaves to see if he can do some of the little things that DDV does, but when the shots aren't falling for Fox or Sabonis, I'm confident Monk can explode in the second unit and right the ship.
Offensively, yes. Defensively, hell no. And wasn't this team supposed to be oriented around tough defense? DDV gave you a shot at a two-way player next year; Monk doesn't in my view. I don't see anybody on this team right now who is going to be a physical wing defender. If the Kings address that need, then the Monk move looks a lot better than it does without that move.

Yeah, cool your jets. I don’t dislike DDV but I also think he was replaceable very easily. I’d go so far as to say I’d rather have Davion starting or that TD is as good as DDV. And then Monte went out and actually got 2 guys in Monk and Huerter who can shoot. I’ll take the 2 guys who can shoot.
I’m in the same boat, I don’t dislike DDV in the least. I hope he kills it with Golden State. But I’d much rather improve our shooting, which we did, with guards who can run with Fox and find out what we have in TD. He still seems to have some untapped potential.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Offensively, yes. Defensively, hell no. And wasn't this team supposed to be oriented around tough defense? DDV gave you a shot at a two-way player next year; Monk doesn't in my view. I don't see anybody on this team right now who is going to be a physical wing defender. If the Kings address that need, then the Monk move looks a lot better than it does without that move.
Can you honestly say that Terrence Davis and Davion doesn’t bring the same things as DDV?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
His numbers weren’t much different if at all from pre-injury, to what he was with the Kings though. So I’m not sure that affected very much at all. Rebounding guards isn’t necessarily a talent one has and others don’t, it’s truly and effort stat. There are small guards who are great at rebounding, there are taller guards who don’t have great rebounding numbers, physical guards and nuanced guards who have both good and bad rebounding numbers. What it all boils down to is effort. Out of all the Kings flaws, I think finding a strong rebounding guard is very low on the list of priorities.
Either that or he's still young and he's improving, in which case he could be better than his prior years. We don't know, do we? I guess according to your theory management doesn't want effort because Fox and Monk and even Mitchell don't have as much effort in rebounding the ball as DDV according to your thinking.

Either that or he's still young and he's improving, in which case he could be better than his prior years. We don't know, do we? I guess according to your theory management doesn't want effort because Fox and Monk and even Mitchell don't have as much effort in rebounding the ball as DDV according to your thinking.
Haha just cause those guys don’t do it doesn’t mean management doesn’t want them to. I think a lot of people, including Mike Brown want to see more effort from Fox in the dirty work part of the game. Monk showed last year with the Lakers that when he applies effort on the lesser glorious aspects of the game he can actually hold his own. Mitchell was a rookie, I expect another level of his game this upcoming year. DDV is not a rookie, nor young, he’s a 25 year old 4 year vet.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Can you honestly say that Terrence Davis and Davion doesn’t bring the same things as DDV?
TD is still a total unknown. Mitchell can't guard big wing players; they can shoot over the top. So, yes, I'm being very honest. NO, they can't bring the same package. You know what really POs me about this is the fact that the Kings had a chance to see Fox and DDV at the end of last year. Never freaking happened. Holiday, who was playing absolutely putrid, was starting with Fox and garnering major minutes. Gentry was asked about this and did his deflection routine, acting like a politician, not a coach, not answering the question, saying, oh yes you'll see it. Never happened. You could find G league guys who were playing better than Holiday. Why oh why didn't we get to see the experiment with Fox and DDV? Everybody wanted to know. It didn't make any sense. Still doesn't.

Again, I’d like to state. No one is trying to bad mouth DDV or say the dude doesn’t belong in the league, as evidenced by the fact he just signed a contract with the Warriors. It’s just not the detrimental loss you seem to want to make it. I encourage you to dig into Terence Davis, he can and does provide much of what DDV does, only with better shooting.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Haha just cause those guys don’t do it doesn’t mean management doesn’t want them to. I think a lot of people, including Mike Brown want to see more effort from Fox in the dirty work part of the game. Monk showed last year with the Lakers that when he applies effort on the lesser glorious aspects of the game he can actually hold his own. Mitchell was a rookie, I expect another level of his game this upcoming year. DDV is not a rookie, nor young, he’s a 25 year old 4 year vet.
It means they reward non-effort and don't reward effort. Right?

TD is still a total unknown. Mitchell can't guard big wing players; they can shoot over the top. So, yes, I'm being very honest. NO, they can't bring the same package. You know what really POs me about this is the fact that the Kings had a chance to see Fox and DDV at the end of last year. Never freaking happened. Holiday, who was playing absolutely putrid, was starting with Fox and garnering major minutes. Gentry was asked about this and did his deflection routine, acting like a politician, not a coach, not answering the question, saying, oh yes you'll see it. Never happened. You could find G league guys who were playing better than Holiday. Why oh why didn't we get to see the experiment with Fox and DDV? Everybody wanted to know. It didn't make any sense. Still doesn't.
I’ll give you that, not seeing what we had in DDV and how he worked as a regular part of the team was pretty foolish and we were never provided any real answer.

So, I am pretty convinced at this point with what he signed for there was no market for him and the Kings didn’t extend the QO because they thought he might take it.

It's funny how the most successful franchise grabs up guys the Kings aren't interested in keeping. WCS, Bazemore, Bjelica, now DDV.
I'm curious what your take is on how WCS, Baze and Bjelly's time on the W's worked out? I don't watch the W's so I have no idea. Seems like those guys time in GSW was brief???

I'm curious what your take is on how WCS, Baze and Bjelly's time on the W's worked out? I don't watch the W's so I have no idea. Seems like those guys time in GSW was brief???
I don't say that to be critical of letting those guys walk. I literally just mean it's weird that it keeps happening.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
His manager can think Monty for that in part. Last season when they were complaining about the kings driving DVD value down they may well have pissed off the wrong guy. Once Monty refused to make the QO it was kind of a signal to the league that his value is well below 9 a year.
Yeah pulling the QO meant teams didn’t have to try to outbid the Kings for his services. Right or wrong it’s beginning to be clear you don’t play chicken with this guy. Given we had replaced him before he signed his offer I’m gonna call it a soft W for now.