Niners!

VF21 said:
Okay, we didn't make them look terrible. They pretty much did that all by themselves without very much help from us...

But have the beer anyway. It might be a long time before you get to lift your mug to another 49er win...

Well lets see, we had 5 sacks, 2 Int's, 1 fumble recovery, and a field goal kicker who set a career high in field goals made. On top of that for the 1st time this season we had the advantage in time of possession 30:29-29:41. We also limited the 5th best rushing offense in the NFL to a season low 43 yards, and a paltry 2.2 yrds/carry.

If that is not proof enough, well also didn't allow a sack for like the 1st time in 30 some owd' games. We also finished the game with no turnovers for the 1st time in awhile. Tampa Bay also didn't have one running back run for over a 100yrds against them, as they have the #1 run defense in the NFL. Kevin Barlow had 101 yrds, for his 1st 100 yrd game of the season. The Bucs also possessed the best record in the NFC 5-1, and they were coming off a bye week. John Grudens' teams were a collective 7-1 after bye weeks. So if you look closely at the progress made here, you can cleary see we dominated this game, not Tampa Bay screwing up all game

VF21 said:
Okay, we didn't make them look terrible. They pretty much did that all by themselves without very much help from us...

But have the beer anyway. It might be a long time before you get to lift your mug to another 49er win...

Too true....just got so excited! Really curious about Dorsey's injury. I almost want him to be out so Pickett can start just to see what will happen, assuming Smith is out which I doubt he will be.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings2805 said:
Well lets see, we had 5 sacks, 2 Int's, 1 fumble recovery, and a field goal kicker who set a career high in field goals made. On top of that for the 1st time this season we had the advantage in time of possession 30:29-29:41. We also limited the 5th best rushing offense in the NFL to a season low 43 yards, and a paltry 2.2 yrds/carry.

If that is not proof enough, well also didn't allow a sack for like the 1st time in 30 some owd' games. We also finished the game with no turnovers for the 1st time in awhile. Tampa Bay also didn't have one running back run for over a 100yrds against them, as they have the #1 run defense in the NFL. Kevin Barlow had 101 yrds, for his 1st 100 yrd game of the season. The Bucs also possessed the best record in the NFC 5-1, and they were coming off a bye week. John Grudens' teams were a collective 7-1 after bye weeks. So if you look closely at the progress made here, you can cleary see we dominated this game, not Tampa Bay screwing up all game
We had a field goal kicker who set a career high because we couldn't capitalize on the numerous opportunities we had to make a touchdown.

Granted, the defense of the 49ers was adequate - and for that I'm glad. BUT I'm not going to get all giddy about the 49ers winning a game at home. Let them put together TWO wins in a row and maybe I'll start to talk about improvement or progress.

Just like my love for the Kings, my love of and support of the 49ers doesn't depend on them winning. IMHO there isn't that much to brag about; the Kings beat the Bulls a couple of times in the 90s, too. It didn't automatically make the Kings better.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Fillmoe said:
is anyone besides myself hoping that alex and ken dont play sunday to see more of cody?
I thought you were all gung-ho about Alex and how great he was going to do if they'd just give him an opportunity to start???

;)

F

Fillmoe

VF21 said:
I thought you were all gung-ho about Alex and how great he was going to do if they'd just give him an opportunity to start???

;)
i am.. but i would like to see what cody can do if given the oppurtunity..... and plus i wouldnt want our 50 million dollar man re injuring himself again ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The problem isn't the QB, so much as injured receivers, an injured and/or depleted front line, etc.

You can only do so much from behind the center, especially if the guys standing in front of you aren't doing much...

F

Fillmoe

VF21 said:
The problem isn't the QB, so much as injured receivers, an injured and/or depleted front line, etc.

You can only do so much from behind the center, especially if the guys standing in front of you aren't doing much...
our oline played pretty good yesterday though..... against #1 ranked bucs defense.... i guess they really wanted to prove themselves after that redskins loss..... we are suppose to be getting jennings and battle back next week..... i think battle and lloyd are capable of becoming 1000 yard recievers.... and our running game good... i just want to see 2 wins in a row

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/13798600p-14640151c.html

Pickett is 49ers' last man standing
Former backup looks like the starter with Dorsey and Smith hurt.
By Matthew Barrows -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Tuesday, November 1, 2005

SANTA CLARA - Two months ago, the 49ers were one of only two teams to start the season with four quarterbacks on the roster. On Monday, two of them were moving around the locker room with the dexterity of Captain Ahab while a third was 3,000 miles away playing for another team.

That left only one - Cody Pickett, who so far this season has spent more time as a practice-squad receiver and a special teams gunner than he has taking snaps from center.

"I would expect that, yeah," coach Mike Nolan said when asked if Pickett, once the team's fourth option at quarterback, would become the team's fourth starter this season. "Based on what I saw yesterday with (Ken Dorsey) walking out to the parking lot with the boot on, I would say so."

The last time Pickett was solely a passer? That would be in the week leading up to the 49ers' second preseason game against Denver on Aug. 20. The last time he received the lion's share of practice snaps?

"My senior year at Washington," Pickett said.

Still, he said he's not complaining about the grunt work he's performed the past two and half months. Playing on kick and punt coverage units not only kept him busy during the first half of the season - "It was a lot more interesting than being the fourth QB," he said - it also earned him a spot on the 53-man roster.

Nolan said he debated this summer whether the team could afford to keep four quarterbacks when most teams have three.

"I can't have four quarterbacks because you just don't in this league," Nolan remembers thinking. "But then I decided that I can't let any of them go."

Eventually he did let one go when he traded Tim Rattay to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers two and half weeks ago. Rattay was watching from the Buccaneers' sideline Sunday when Dorsey was hit by 280-pound defensive end Ellis Wyms and hobbled off with a sprained left ankle.

"It looks like I have a nice little golf ball in there," said Dorsey, who is questionable to play Sunday. "It's swollen. But the good news is that the swelling has already gone down."

A few feet away, the team's regular starter, Alex Smith, was describing the swelling in his right knee, which was injured during a loss to Washington on Oct. 23. Smith, also listed as questionable, has not been given permission to bend the joint and looks like a long shot to play Sunday.

That means the 49ers likely will go shopping today for a No. 2 passer. One candidate is former UC Davis quarterback J.T. O' Sullivan, who is currently on the Bears' practice squad and who is familiar with offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy from their time in New Orleans. Other names include Quincy Carter and Tim Couch.

Dorsey said he would try to get back on his feet by Wednesday when the team begins preparing for the Giants, but Nolan seemed more interested to see what Pickett could do in a starting role.

Entering Sunday's game when the momentum seemed to be shifting toward the Buccaneers, Pickett won over the crowd on his second drive, when he completed his only pass attempt - a 10-yarder to Brandon Lloyd - and then bootlegged around the left side of the line for eight yards and a first down. It was the sort of gutsy performance teammates have come to expect from the ex-rodeo roper.

"Cody has been here," Nolan said. "The guys know him. They like him. They know what he stands for. He has strengths that are different from the other guys."

About the writer: The Bee's Matthew Barrows can be reached at mbarrows@sacbee.com.

--------------------------------------------

Quincy Carter or Tim Couch? God, just shoot me now.

Well Yee-Haw! Go Cody...I wonder what this guy listens to ta get pumped up... Big & Rich? Good luck Cody, the Giants might be the best team we've played all year (possibly outside of Phili), I know I'll be watching, this is going to be fun. I'll always root for a former Husky too. Just so glad he's getting an opportunity to showcase some athleticism and hopefully some poise.

Defense is gonna be the key though. Plaxico Burress, Armani Toomer, Shockey, Tiki Barber and Eli Manning? These Giants are loaded on offense and we will have a very hard time controlloing this game. Let's hope its still close in the fourth quarter.

Oh..and the new back-up QB is Jesse Palmer, the guy from "The Bachelor" a while ago.
http://www.49ers.com/newsroom/DisplayNews.asp?newsid=2642

Rockin' in the Free World said:
I wonder what this guy listens to ta get pumped up... Big & Rich?
HEY NOW! Whats wrong with Big & Rich

the Giants might be the best team we've played all year (possibly outside of Phili),
Since Dallas already beat the Giants and Philly and will beat up on Phily in two weeks I guess the Giants are the next best team the Niners will play :)

F

Fillmoe

we almost beat the cowgirls... and they beat the giants..... does taht mean we gonna beat the giants too.... LOL ;)

BigWaxer said:
HEY NOW! Whats wrong with Big & Rich

Nothing...I love em! My fav. country artists. Just not your stereotypical get-pumped for an NFL game music when I think of the Niners. For some reason I see Brandon Lloyd and Bryant young decking Cody if he sings "Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy" too loud...funny image though!

F

Fillmoe

Pickett Pickett Pickett Pickett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Chea Chea Chea Chea! ;)

O

ONEZERO

Brandon lloyds got the best hands in the game.......

Oh wait, there's a holding penalty, followed by 2 false starts, followed by a pick, followed by a backward toss, followed by a 20 yd return by the giants, and now the giants are about to score when we shoulda been 1st and goal......

Amazing.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^Oh, good. A Raider troll.

:rolleyes:

------------------------------------------

ONEZERO - That catch by Lloyd has to be the most amazing catch I had ever seen. Had it not been called back, I would have had to rank it right up there with Dwight Clark's miracle catch...

Having a spectacular play like that reversed sort of takes the wind out of their sails...

:(

O

ONEZERO

I already said it, but I gotta say it again. Brandon lloyds catch was unbelievableinsaneridiculousunheardof! Hehe!