Niners!

I wouldn't be surprised if both the cards and seahawks lose. Then again I wouldn't be too surprised if they both won either. I guess that just speaks to how unpredictable the NFL is these days.

Either way, I'd like to say I think the 49ers are gonna win, but I really have no idea what to expect from this team. It won't surprise if they win but it won't surprise if they lose. so GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!

VF21 said:
I hear ya, ONEZERO. I still hate them even though they've been gone from LA for an eternity. I will NEVER stop detesting the Rams!

;)

Somehow this doesn't surprise me. :) I used to be a season ticket holder for the Rams...even though I'm a Vikings fan. It was just fun to go to the games and eat junk food. :D We would root for the Rams until the Vikings came to town..then we would all be decked out in Vikings gear.

I can't wait for the Niner Rams game I love rivalry games. I hate the Rams with a passion that is everybody but Archuleta I can't help but love the guy;)(i know i shouldn't but I can't help myself) but I really wish he would switch teams so I wouldn't have to like a Ram. But go NINERS

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hoopsfan said:
Somehow this doesn't surprise me. :) I used to be a season ticket holder for the Rams...even though I'm a Vikings fan. It was just fun to go to the games and eat junk food. :D We would root for the Rams until the Vikings came to town..then we would all be decked out in Vikings gear.
I suppose it would be unnecessary for me to say that when I did follow baseball, I hated the Dodgers? (Except Sandy Koufax.)

;)

F

Fillmoe

its halftime.. bryant young has 3 sacks, otis amey has a punt return for a td, arnaz battle has 1 pass for like 30 some yards, we got an onside kick, we have kept the "greatest show on turf" from scoring a TD, Rattay has 2 TD passes.... now only if our run game could kick in.... it would be real nice!

IM LOVIN THIS SEASON SO FAR!

cool.

now i'm no football fan, but i root for the niners in spirit becuase they are the local team, so woo hoo for winning today

and you are darn lucky i'm saying that becuase i go stuck in the niners traffic going home, and my dad was ready to jump out of the car and walk becuase i was being such a pill. traffic and evenstar do NOT mix..........

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Way to start the season 9ers. We're already half way to last years win total. And, as Fillmoe said, "we lead the nfc west." :D

God I hate the Rams. Here's a quote from Torry Holt.

"It goes to show that the best team doesn't always win," Holt said. "I think that we were the better team at times today, and the stats showed that we were the better team."

We won. You lost. Deal with it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Having Newberry back on the line makes a huge difference. Especially since Rattay is pretty immobile & injury prone. When the team can keep him upright and give him time, he can be an effective QB for this team.

I thought the secondary played great today, which is even more impressive when considering the competition.

Nice to see Julian Peterson making plays all over the field again. He and BY combined for 5.5 sacks I believe. And JP says he's not even back to full strength yet.

The running game was a sore spot. Part of it is that the offensive line still needs to gel and didn't open huge holes, but Barlow dancing around in the backfield was a bigger problem. I predict Gore takes over starting duties before week 8.

The biggest change was that I saw a team compete for all 60 minutes. They were well disciplined (even with all the trick plays they ran) and executed well. Nolan and his staff are on the right track. They may only win 4 or 5 games (I'm holding out hope for 7 or 8) but as long as they continue to show positive development this season I'll be happy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was impressed with Arnaz Battle. Sure wish I had been impressed enough to start him on my fantasy team!!!

Barlow looked ... stale?

I, too, was pleased with the effort. AND any season that starts with a win over the Rams is a winning season in my book.

And now, a personal message from VF21 to Torry Holt:

F

Fillmoe

im tellin you guys.... by game 5 Gore is gonna overtake Barlows spot... and this is coming from someone who loved Barlows game! but he does too much dancing in the backfield and hardly ever breaks any tackles

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Barlow is like a very poor man's Barry Sanders. I remember there was the argument right after Barry's retirement that the Lions were better without him. The logic was that Sanders was as likely to gain 8-10 yards or more as he was to lose 2 yards because of the way he danced in the backfield.

Sanders was never a north-south, hit the hole and move the chains guy. But he had such incredible skills that he could rack up 2000 yards with his style. Barlow simply lacks the explosion and acceleration of Sanders. But like Barry, he will get stopped behind the line, stopped behind the line and then break off a big run. I just wish he could do it half as often as Barry did.

From the preseason and the quotes from Jerry Sullivan (the receivers coach) I had a feeling Arnaz Battle could have a good season. Sullivan compared him to Anquan Boldin, which is pretty high praise. Battle also showed some explosiveness and open field ability last year in limited minutes as a receiver and as a kick returner. Not bad for a converted quarterback.

As for playing him on your fantasy team, I was pretty pleased with myself today. When my brother was gearing up for his fantasy draft he asked me for sleepers. I said to be sure to grab Willie Parker and play him, especially early on when he would likely start. I'm not right that often, so today was pretty sweet.

Barlow is a homeless man's version of Barry Sanders. Just from a 1st impression Gore looked both faster and stronger. Frank Gore is 5'9" 219 and fast as hell, he very well could take the job. I remember in '03 how explosive Barlow was...what happened? One too many Big Macs? Actually, I wouldn't mind a little more dancing around in the backfield from Barlow (like he used to do when he split time with Hearst) it would keep him from running into his own blockers. Kevan seems to be doing his best Emmett Smith impersonation only he's forgetting to open his eyes once he gets the ball. That said, Barlow looked pretty good on those little out/screen patterns didn't he? Moved well in space.

Like funkykingston implied though, comparing him to Sanders is rough due to Barry's amazing ability. God that guy could play...he and Jim Brown could be the two most gifted running backs ever.