NFL SuperBowl LIV - 2/2/2020

Who wins Super Bowl LIV?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Can someone convince me the Niners have a shot at covering Mahomes? I’m trying to squint really really hard and see it, but I’m having a really really hard time....

Kyler Murray was impressive and almost upset them.

Russ Wilson beat them and then came an inch away from beating them again.

Lamar Jackson beat them.

And Mahomes is better than all three of those guys.

So what’s going to change in the Super Bowl?

Can someone convince me the Niners have a shot at covering Mahomes? I’m trying to squint really really hard and see it, but I’m having a really really hard time....

Lamar Jackson beat them.

He is better than all of those guys except maybe Wilson in the intangibles department. He will put up numbers. But I think the 49ers are better on both sides of the ball than either the Titans or Houston and if they jump to an early lead like both of those teams did they won't wilt. The Chiefs are not invincible. I think the Ravens would have beat them soundly and arguably the Pats would have been a coinflip even in a down year for them. It won't be an easy game for the 49ers but they will surely be the toughest team the Chiefs have faced since their early season game vs. Baltimore (which they did win, so I will give credit where it is due).

Lamar Jackson beat them.

We were still 3-2 against the teams you name with injuries for some of those games, and the losses were highly winnable.

The Chiefs have been vulnerable against the run and have to account for a diverse Niners offense that has dominated without even cracking open Kyle's passing playbook.

The Niners are still the more balanced and better overall team. I don't mind if you consider the Chiefs a favorite, but they are hardly inevitable.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer

Lamar Jackson beat them.

During the regular season the Niners allowed only 169 passing yards per game. That's a measure of the effectiveness of the entire defense -- the pass rush forcing the QB to make only quick decisions, linebackers excelling in coverage, and defensive backs mostly playing zone and communicating their assignments well. This whole defense has been just about unbeatable through the air this year. And that's a problem for KC and Mohames because they ranked 23rd with only 98 rushing yards per game this season which is less than every other team that made the playoffs. If the elite Niners passing defense continues to do what they've done all season, KC doesn't have a Plan B and that's got to be terrifying for them!

If that doesn't make you feel better though, take a look at the 3 losses from the regular season...

The Seahawks capitalized on 3 turnovers to score on a short field and keep themselves in the game. Russell is particularly effective as a passer because he's able to escape the pocket and buy himself time and that limited the effectiveness of our pass rushers. Offensively, our offensive line was a mess that day and that meant Jimmy had no time to scan the field and half his receivers kept letting the ball bounce of their hands. Even with all the mistakes though we managed to take them to OT and only lost because we had a substitute kicker.

In Baltimore, Lamar Jackson only threw for 105 yards. They won that game on the ground by punishing our over-eager defenders with deceptive play-action trickery. It was also played in a downpour so neither team was really trying to air it out and it's probably best not to draw too many conclusions from that game other than Lamar Jackson is a beast and I hope whatever bug bit him in the Divisional Round hits him again before our next matchup!

Now the Atlanta game, we did get burned through the air multiple times in that game (most distressingly on the final game-winning drive) but we were missing both Richard Sherman and Jaquiski Tartt so Marcell Harris was in there at Free Safety and Akhello Witherspoon was starting and he hasn't looked good since coming back from injury in Week 13. He was the only weak link against Minnesota and got himself benched n the first quarter and Emmanuel Moseley has been great all year and will be starting for us again in the Super Bowl so I don't think there's much risk of this happening again.

Obviously a lot can happen and Kansas City is a good team but I think it's going to be tough for Kansas City to compete with this squad when everyone is healthy and playing their best. The Niners pass rush has been almost impossible to stop when Bosa and Ford are on the field together and the offense has been marching down the field almost unimpeded for two playoff games in a row. This is no fluke, the Niners are ready to win a championship and if they show up and compete like they have since Week 1 that's what I think is going to happen.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Can someone convince me the Niners have a shot at covering Mahomes?...
Total honesty here...

I wouldn't even attempt to convince you of anything at this point. You are the most neurotic fan I've ever encountered and nothing anyone says or does today will ease your mind about something that's not gonna happen until 2/2/2020.