NFL Playoffs 2017-18 Conference Championships (Pick 'em and discussion)

Pick the winners in the Conference Championship games

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Down to the final four in the NFL:

Jacksonville (3) @ New England (1)
Sun, Jan. 21, 12:05 AM PST CBS

Minnesota (2) @ Philadelphia (1)
Sun, Jan. 21, 3:40 PM PST Fox

Again, answer in the poll (vote for two teams - one winner per game), or in the thread discussion. Feel free to use this thread for any and all NFL conference championship discussion.

VF21 and Capt. Factorial with perfect picks last weekend, but this week's two games are worth 4 points each so it won't be hard for people to catch up with the right guesses.

Current standings (last week in parentheses):
12(8) - VF21
10(8) - Capt. Factorial
6(4) - uolj
6(4) - eMBarkat10n
5(4) - LoungeLizard
9(6) - pdxKingsFan
3 - kingsboi
2 - Russell Pimphustler

I submit on time this week. I don't particularly love this matchup for the Pats because I think the Steelers always come in over confident and frankly I just don't think Tomlin is all that great a coach (his clock management over the years in particular confounds me for someone who has had such long term success at least in the regular season). But still, the only way I pick against my team is if I'm trying to do some reverse jinx, and well... I save that for Superbowls :D

Also picked the Eagles because I just think they are a better team than they were given credit for sans Wentz and Foles is a'ight (Wildcat bias). Also because Minny had no business winning the way they did last week and the Saint that blew that tackle I have no words...

I meant that as a Pats fan I'd rather play the Steelers who they have historically owned than the Jags who are a bit of an unknown quantity.

Of course now I have to worry about Tommy's hand. Seriously???

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I seriously question the motives behind that helmet-to-helmet hit on Gronkowski. I think there should be a rule to prevent teams from targeting key players.

I seriously question the motives behind that helmet-to-helmet hit on Gronkowski. I think there should be a rule to prevent teams from targeting key players.
My gut says any helmet to helmet hit should be automatic ejection. Especially if it triggers concussion protocol.

Also... Nick Foles.

Jags put up a worthy fight...change the QB and they will be AFC contenders
Actually, change the coaching....you dont kneel on the ball with 55s left and 2 timeouts to end a half when an extra FG could make all the difference in a close game. Jaguars offensive coaching thought they could sit on their lead and their defense. Pathetic game decisions. Hope the Eagles put up a better offensive show.
Remember the way the Chiefs utterly wiped the Patriots to start the season? It was with dazzling offense and keeping the "foot on the gas". Jaguars offensive coordinator after calling a magnificent first half including using Corey Grant who torched the Patriots, turns in a turd for the 2nd half. Inexplicably Grant was hardly out there too in the 2nd half. Not coincidence. Sadly the Jaguars defense gave the offense multiple attempts to assume a command, but the offense were stuffed. 1st and run off tackle how many stupid times? Jaguars have themselves to blame.

I imagine the Jags wanted to get off the field in the first half after the cheap hit on Gronk. But yes, you are correct. I actually thought they had all three timeouts.

My gut says any helmet to helmet hit should be automatic ejection. Especially if it triggers concussion protocol.

Also... Nick Foles.
I imagine the Jags wanted to get off the field in the first half after the cheap hit on Gronk. But yes, you are correct. I actually thought they had all three timeouts.
In all honesty, I actually didn't think that the actual hit itself was too bad. It was the fact that the hit was to the helmet/head area that made it worse. And, I didn't even think he intended on "targeting" Gronk's helmet/head area. At least when looked at in real time. Honestly, there are a lot of instances where hits like this happen in football. I really do believe that. It's just because it's the playoffs, they're the Patriots, and he's Rob Gronkowski, that this is being considered a "malicious" hit. I think the penalty itself was warranted, but I wouldn't have ejected him, not based on the current rules, at least.

PS: And, yeah, I know most, if not all, are going to disagree with me. To quote the great Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, "Bring It! Just Bring It!" :);):p:D

I tend to agree that there should be a stricter penalty when an illegal helmet to helmet hit gives somebody a concussion and gets them out of the game. Ejection would make some sense.

I know that even though I was rooting against the Patriots I wasn't at all mad about the bogus pass interference on the next play because of that.

Anything helmet to helmet is cheap in this decade.

It's also bad form and hasn't been taught in decades prior to all our concussion knowledge. I think immediate ejection and possible multi-game suspension is how you address it, because if you don't the NFL as we know it is dead.

In all honesty, I actually didn't think that the actual hit itself was too bad. It was the fact that the hit was to the helmet/head area that made it worse. And, I didn't even think he intended on "targeting" Gronk's helmet/head area. At least when looked at in real time. Honestly, there are a lot of instances where hits like this happen in football. I really do believe that. It's just because it's the playoffs, they're the Patriots, and he's Rob Gronkowski, that this is being considered a "malicious" hit. I think the penalty itself was warranted, but I wouldn't have ejected him, not based on the current rules, at least.

PS: And, yeah, I know most, if not all, are going to disagree with me. To quote the great Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, "Bring It! Just Bring It!" :);):p:D
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah, and as far as the concussion part of it goes...I guess it would make logical sense to punish a guy if he directly causes a concussion, no matter what kind of a tackle it might have been.

Any hit to the helmet/head area should definitely warrant a flag. Maybe, if that same hit causes a concussion, fine the guy. And, anything more serious than just a plain ol' concussion? At least a 1 game suspension, with an increase in games based on the severity of the injury.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Have you ever had a concussion? You can get permanent damage from just one hit. Barry Church knew exactly what he was doing IMHO. And what he did was take out a premiere tight end in a conference championship game with a cheap hit.

You're welcome to your opinion. I happen to patently disagree with it. I'm well aware of how often this happens in football and I'm also well aware of the MANY times it's been intentional. It doesn't matter who it is or when it happens.

I'm obviously not unbiased but it seemed pretty clearly intentional if you ask me. He lead with his head and hit the other player in the head. Until I understood what was going on with concussions I thought all the restrictions on hits were dumbing down the game. I also loved unprotected chairshots in wrasslin. Now I'm somewhat of the opinion that the NFL should just ban all tackles where the player leaves their feet. With the possible exception of shoestring diving tackles. Other things would be reducing pad size and even changing helmet types to be the sort that can't be weaponized.

Bottom line, I love American tackle football but I'm never going to let my son play it.

Have you ever had a concussion? You can get permanent damage from just one hit. Barry Church knew exactly what he was doing IMHO. And what he did was take out a premiere tight end in a conference championship game with a cheap hit.

You're welcome to your opinion. I happen to patently disagree with it. I'm well aware of how often this happens in football and I'm also well aware of the MANY times it's been intentional. It doesn't matter who it is or when it happens.
I'm obviously not unbiased but it seemed pretty clearly intentional if you ask me. He lead with his head and hit the other player in the head. Until I understood what was going on with concussions I thought all the restrictions on hits were dumbing down the game. I also loved unprotected chairshots in wrasslin. Now I'm somewhat of the opinion that the NFL should just ban all tackles where the player leaves their feet. With the possible exception of shoestring diving tackles. Other things would be reducing pad size and even changing helmet types to be the sort that can't be weaponized.

Bottom line, I love American tackle football but I'm never going to let my son play it.
We can all agree to disagree. I won't hold any grudges.

The point is, despite the lead, that decision made me fairly certain they would lose the game at half, yep at half. Just like a week earlier, I realized the Titans despite looking decent to start were getting absolutely no pass-pressure on Brady - so the game was over despite an early lead. On most of the games over the years where teams have beaten the Patriots with Brady it's been done so with a balanced offense and defense. Back to the Jaguars failure..... Do you think the Patriots coaching staff ,if the positions were reversed, would kneel the half? Heck no, they'd drive for a chance at at least a FG and possibly a TD. I despise Bellichek, but acknowledge that he is the best coach of all time (including Parcells and Walsh). Being a longtime 49er fan I love Walsh and Montana, but objectively you have to give Bellichek and Brady the nod - they've been doing longer than any QB/Coach duo.. Now another f**** year of rooting against the Patriots in the damn Super Bowl. Maybe Foles can make it interesting, but I mostly doubt it - it comes down to coaching again and again.

On a positive things are looking way up for the 49ers. They go into next year with expectations of a dynamic young QB - a boat-load of pressure unfortunately