NFL Playoffs 2014-15 Conference Championships

Pick the winners of Week 3 of the NFL Playoffs...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The ESPN sports science segment didn't find significant competitive advantage, but they also punted on the question of whether under-inflated balls are easier to grip and of course didn't do exhaustive research. All they did was show that there wasn't an obvious and significant advantage.

I've also seen scientists dispute that the temperature change could make that much of a difference. And you have to wonder why the Colts balls were not underinflated if temperature was the culprit. The assumption would be that the Patriots had their balls inflated in a warmer room. But then you have to question whether they did that intentionally to gain an advantage, which is nearly as much of an issue as deliberately deflating the balls after inspection.

The whole thing is dumb, and I hope nobody gets suspended for the Super Bowl. But the defenses of the Patriots I've seen seem to be geared toward the most outlandish charges and don't really address the simpler, less extreme but still relevant issues. Did the Patriots try to skirt the rules to gain an unfair advantage? If they did, how far past the line did they go, how long have they been doing it, and how common is that type of thing in the game? These are all relevant questions to me even if it's not that big of a deal.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Did anybody else think Tom Brady looked very uncomfortable in his presser? And his responses to a couple of the questions were very politician-like.

Yes, a bit but wouldn't necessarily say very. He didn't say, "I'm no idiot," in his steadfast denial of any involvement just as Belichick flat denies he's guilty. I think generally Tom Brady has excellent reputation with integrity ever since he was star high school QB in San Mateo. Can't say Belichick is seen quite as honorable going back decade or more. The whole thing is embarrassing, somebody in Pats organization is lying. I suppose we are going to hear this scandal tainting everything from now all the way until Super Bowl Sunday. NFL can't be happy one bit about yet another crisis and negative issue popping as it grapples with damage control strategy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The more I hear, the more I have to wonder if the balls were that deflated, then why didn't the game officials who handle the stupid ball after every single play notice something? At this point, I would not be at all surprised if it turned out the nefarious doings were the result of some clandestine Seahawks fan working for the Patriots.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The ESPN sports science segment didn't find significant competitive advantage, but they also punted on the question of whether under-inflated balls are easier to grip and of course didn't do exhaustive research. All they did was show that there wasn't an obvious and significant advantage.

I've also seen scientists dispute that the temperature change could make that much of a difference. And you have to wonder why the Colts balls were not underinflated if temperature was the culprit. The assumption would be that the Patriots had their balls inflated in a warmer room. But then you have to question whether they did that intentionally to gain an advantage, which is nearly as much of an issue as deliberately deflating the balls after inspection.

The whole thing is dumb, and I hope nobody gets suspended for the Super Bowl. But the defenses of the Patriots I've seen seem to be geared toward the most outlandish charges and don't really address the simpler, less extreme but still relevant issues. Did the Patriots try to skirt the rules to gain an unfair advantage? If they did, how far past the line did they go, how long have they been doing it, and how common is that type of thing in the game? These are all relevant questions to me even if it's not that big of a deal.
The Colts were planning of making this allegation ahead of the game, by all accounts. It stemmed from something in their prior matchup. If the Pats filled their balls at the minimum amount and the Colts filled at the max, and they dropped 1 or 2 psi it could account for everything. Aaron Rodgers is on record as saying he likes his balls higher than allowed, it wouldn't be shocking if other teams felt the same way.

More than likely the balls were never properly measured by anyone. In which case the officials are at fault. They probably just did a squeeze test.

Lastly reports are that the Pats balls in the second half were all compliant and that is when they completely took over the game.

Bottom line for me is that the balls passed referee inspection and unless there is some kind of indication that after inspection they were being deflated then this is all sour grapes to me.