NFL 2024-2025 Thread

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here we go, Niner Nation...

Link to ESPN.com article: WR Brandon Aiyuk requests trade from 49ers, source says

Let the 2024-2025 NFL season commence!!! :p:p:p
I don't see this changing anything at this point. The 49ers have a Super Bowl window right now so a trade for future draft compensation makes no sense and I don't see a player for player trade out there that makes sense either. Aiyuk is under contract for the season so he can't really force a trade. He can only choose to sit out, miss game checks and get fined until week 8 when he'd need to suit up to have the year count.

Things might get ugly, but I don't see Aiyuk getting traded unless it's a great deal for SF.

I don't see this changing anything at this point. The 49ers have a Super Bowl window right now so a trade for future draft compensation makes no sense and I don't see a player for player trade out there that makes sense either. Aiyuk is under contract for the season so he can't really force a trade. He can only choose to sit out, miss game checks and get fined until week 8 when he'd need to suit up to have the year count.

Things might get ugly, but I don't see Aiyuk getting traded unless it's a great deal for SF.
It's an interesting scenario for sure.

Could argue that with Purdy's massive extension coming up, getting a ton of future draft capital to keep talent around him becomes very very important. Sure, would be a huge hit to this window here, but if we truly believe Purdy is a top 5/10 guy, then the window is basically always open.

But then, on the flip side of that, Aiyuk is at the very worst like the 10th best WR in football and showed incredible chemistry with Purdy. Those guys don't grow on trees. If he doesn't want to be here though or is pissed, what sort of value is that bringing in the locker room and on the field?

Happy Aiyuk is a no-brainer to keep around. Problem is, I wonder if the relationship is beyond that at this point.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's an interesting scenario for sure.

Could argue that with Purdy's massive extension coming up, getting a ton of future draft capital to keep talent around him becomes very very important. Sure, would be a huge hit to this window here, but if we truly believe Purdy is a top 5/10 guy, then the window is basically always open.

But then, on the flip side of that, Aiyuk is at the very worst like the 10th best WR in football and showed incredible chemistry with Purdy. Those guys don't grow on trees. If he doesn't want to be here though or is pissed, what sort of value is that bringing in the locker room and on the field?

Happy Aiyuk is a no-brainer to keep around. Problem is, I wonder if the relationship is beyond that at this point.
Money cures a lot of hurt feelings. Deebo and (to a lesser extent) Bosa has somewhat acrimonious holdouts that got smoothed over.

I think the Niner's plan is to ideally have all their weapons for next season and then when Purdy is up for his huge extension my guess is that they'd rather keep Aiyuk and move on from Deebo. With McCaffrey taking the bulk of the carries and Purdy's skillset as a passer being more dynamic than Jimmy G's, there's less need for a gadget player and more emphasis on route running etc.

Money cures a lot of hurt feelings. Deebo and (to a lesser extent) Bosa has somewhat acrimonious holdouts that got smoothed over.

I think the Niner's plan is to ideally have all their weapons for next season and then when Purdy is up for his huge extension my guess is that they'd rather keep Aiyuk and move on from Deebo. With McCaffrey taking the bulk of the carries and Purdy's skillset as a passer being more dynamic than Jimmy G's, there's less need for a gadget player and more emphasis on route running etc.
This right here.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I still wish they would have traded Deebo during his diva holdout. He peaked in the Wideback playoff run, and his money would be better justified elsewhere. At some point we’re going to lose a great talent because of the cap and we can’t pay everyone … I hope it isn’t Aiyuk.

Purdy extension analysis below - already starting:

Barnwell actually finishes throwing out a limp counter-choice of trading Purdy to save large salary, and states he doesn't believe in the choice -> then he shouldn't have written about it - just filler.....

Purdy will likely be signing a 49ers long-term contract he earned with his play following the upcoming 2024/2025 season.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...oster-outlook-next-extension-2025-free-agency

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Man, this team is already struggling to get guys all here and happy… it’ll be nice to have a franchise QB, but when that Purdy extension drops the window will be much less open without major draft success going forward. I like Purdy enough but he isn’t Mahomes who will single handedly drag you to Super Bowls.

I assume nothing came of that QB Only Cap that was talked about a little back?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Man, this team is already struggling to get guys all here and happy… it’ll be nice to have a franchise QB, but when that Purdy extension drops the window will be much less open without major draft success going forward. I like Purdy enough but he isn’t Mahomes who will single handedly drag you to Super Bowls.

I assume nothing came of that QB Only Cap that was talked about a little back?
Id bet purdy commands more than $60 million a year by next offseason and I don't think the 49ers pay that. My money is on Kyle. Kyle can get it done with even a mediocre QB, look what he did with Jimmy! Purdy is gonna be so expensive id bet they let him walk and we pick up a Baker Mayfield type and continue building the team through the rest of the roster, not just one position. As good as purdy is, i don't think he is a mahomes type who can singlehandedly dictate how a game goes.

Id bet purdy commands more than $60 million a year by next offseason and I don't think the 49ers pay that. My money is on Kyle. Kyle can get it done with even a mediocre QB, look what he did with Jimmy! Purdy is gonna be so expensive id bet they let him walk and we pick up a Baker Mayfield type and continue building the team through the rest of the roster, not just one position. As good as purdy is, i don't think he is a mahomes type who can singlehandedly dictate how a game goes.
Dude, no lol. Why are you back on this?

Us letting Purdy walk would be the worst roster decision in pro sports history. When you have a top 10 QB, you never let him walk, especially as he's heading into his prime.

No crap he's not Mahomes. Nobody is, because he likely ends his career as the greatest QB ever. That doesn't mean we let our top 10 guy walk.

Us letting Purdy walk would be the worst roster decision in pro sports history. When you have a top 10 QB, you never let him walk, especially as he's heading into his prime.

No crap he's not Mahomes. Nobody is, because he likely ends his career as the greatest QB ever. That doesn't mean we let our top 10 guy walk.
Comparing your team's starting quarterback to Patrick Mahomes is like single-handedly inviting the greatest form of torture into your life until the day Mahomes hangs them up for good, or the day you die (whichever comes first).

Unless, of course, your team is the Chiefs.

Cause Tua just got paid $53.1 million a year and jordan love got $50+.

We have kyle shannahan who can go to the super bowl with jimmy g. The 49ers are not just gonna willingly pay Purdy what he's gonna command next offseason. Its all kinda common sense to me.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

We have kyle shannahan who can go to the super bowl with jimmy g. The 49ers are not just gonna willingly pay Purdy what he's gonna command next offseason. It’s all kinda common sense to me.
Eh, this is the franchise that had no qualms making Jim the highest paid QB of all time after six starts.

Purdy’s going to get his. Our window will then depend on the draft. Gotta keep pulling those All-Pro’s out of the 5th/Later rounds. Lol

We have kyle shannahan who can go to the super bowl with jimmy g. The 49ers are not just gonna willingly pay Purdy what he's gonna command next offseason. Its all kinda common sense to me.
Yeah and how did Jimmy G in the super bowl work out for us? Or just in the playoffs for that matter with all his stacked teams?

When you have an amazing young QB, you don't let him go. For as important as dudes like Trent Williams/Deebo/Aiyuk are, none of them matter if Brian Hoyer is throwing them the ball. Last year was Purdy's first full season as a starter and he brought this team to the super bowl lol. What more could you want?

Coming from someone who, as a Cowboys fan, is on the outside looking in, you might never see the Super Bowl for another 5-10 (maybe more) years if you don't pay Purdy. Let the guy walk, and you essentially agree to take a couple of steps back. No, not even steps, but leaps.

Coming from someone who, as a Cowboys fan, is on the outside looking in, you might never see the Super Bowl for another 5-10 (maybe more) years if you don't pay Purdy. Let the guy walk, and you essentially agree to take a couple of steps back. No, not even steps, but leaps.
yeah, I think it's silly the Cowboys are playing with fire with Dak. Again, what's the solution if not him? You basically have to full fire-sale, get a top pick and hope that guy becomes as good as Dak in the next 3-5 years.

The 49ers are incredibly lucky Purdy has worked out. That's the only reason the Lance trade hasn't crippled our franchise. But it's a great reminder that even if you do go get a top 3 pick QB, it's not guaranteed to be a hit or a star. That's why when you know you have a top 15 guy, you never let him go.

yeah, I think it's silly the Cowboys are playing with fire with Dak. Again, what's the solution if not him? You basically have to full fire-sale, get a top pick and hope that guy becomes as good as Dak in the next 3-5 years.

The 49ers are incredibly lucky Purdy has worked out. That's the only reason the Lance trade hasn't crippled our franchise. But it's a great reminder that even if you do go get a top 3 pick QB, it's not guaranteed to be a hit or a star. That's why when you know you have a top 15 guy, you never let him go.
Dak hasn't taken the Cowboys to the Super Bowl. Brock has taken the Niners there. Heck, Dak hasn't even been to the NFC Championship.

Last edited:
And Kyle got just as far with a less talented QB, Jimmy G, and a less talented team than last year. Sorry, brock aint worth $55 million a year. Not when you have our talent and our coach. Shanny can pull a baker mayfield type and win the super bowl without breaking the bank for a QB. This team as built does not need the highest paid QB in the NFL to win a super bowl.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
And Kyle got just as far with a less talented QB, Jimmy G, and a less talented team than last year. Sorry, brock aint worth $55 million a year. Not when you have our talent and our coach. Shanny can pull a baker mayfield type and win the super bowl without breaking the bank for a QB. This team as built does not need the highest paid QB in the NFL to win a super bowl.
This team as built won’t win a Super Bowl anyways because the Chiefs exist. Lmao

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
We got there on the back of one of the best front sevens in league history and Kyle Shanahan and Mike McDaniel dialing up some of the most stubborn game plans in the league (the Vikings playoff game where he literally refused to let Jimmy throw the ball) because the matchups played out with the Niners facing the two worst defenses of the postseason on the way to the Superbowl. Also that was like the last season before Jimmy G absolutely started to crumble under the weight of the Niners expectations.

Brock pulled off two consecutive comebacks in the postseason and then went blow for blow with Mahomes until the Niners defense decided to roll over and let Mahomes go down the field. He and Jimmy are not even remotely the same lol

Ok, you let Brock walk.

Who do you replace him with after next season? That keeps us as a top 3 title team?

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
For all the talk of Kyle winning with pretty much any quarterback, that didn't work out with CJ Beathard, Nick Mullens, or Bryan Hoyer.

And if the argument is that any of those guys *could* have won with all the weapons Brock has, that wasn't the case for Trey Lance either.

The 49ers were 38-17 with Garrapolo and 9-29 with the rest of those QBs. Even with Jimmy G, Shannahan was essentially a .500 coach with the Niners (47-46) until Purdy took over.

They are 20-5 with Brock Purdy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Ok, you let Brock walk.

Who do you replace him with after next season? That keeps us as a top 3 title team?
I mean, it’s a double edged sword. We’re going to absolutely have to trim $$$ to fit Purdy’s massive salary even with an ever expanding cap… so either way after this season I can’t foresee us a Top-3 team anymore. It’s better to be hopefully good everywhere else through the draft and have an elite QB than the other way around though.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean, it’s a double edged sword. We’re going to absolutely have to trim $$$ to fit Purdy’s massive salary even with an ever expanding cap… so either way after this season I can’t foresee us a Top-3 team anymore. It’s better to be hopefully good everywhere else through the draft and have an elite QB than the other way around though.
Assuming the Niners work out an extension for Aiyuk, I think Deebo is for sure gone next season. After that there will be some tough decisions to be made.