NFL 2022-2023 Season Thread

The Jimmy hate here is way overboard.
Especially in this current role. He's an outstanding teammate by all accounts and he's far and away the best back-up QB in the league by a significant margin. And the clear assumption here is if a QB injury happens around the league (or even if Trey gets hurt), Jimmy's new contract makes him quite a bit more tradeable. If Trey got hurt, i'd much rather have Jimmy over Sudfeld or Purdy.

And I'm not worried in the slightest about Jimmy stepping in for Trey if he has a bad stretch. Shanny and Lynch tied their jobs to Trey Lance being a top 12 QB. You can't trade 3 first round picks for a guy, not play him, and expect to keep your job. Especially after your incumbent starter was the QB for a 3 year stretch that saw a NFC championship game and a Super Bowl appearance.

Especially in this current role. He's an outstanding teammate by all accounts and he's far and away the best back-up QB in the league by a significant margin. And the clear assumption here is if a QB injury happens around the league (or even if Trey gets hurt), Jimmy's new contract makes him quite a bit more tradeable. If Trey got hurt, i'd much rather have Jimmy over Sudfeld or Purdy.

And I'm not worried in the slightest about Jimmy stepping in for Trey if he has a bad stretch. Shanny and Lynch tied their jobs to Trey Lance being a top 12 QB. You can't trade 3 first round picks for a guy, not play him, and expect to keep your job. Especially after your incumbent starter was the QB for a 3 year stretch that saw a NFC championship game and a Super Bowl appearance.
My only issues with re-working Garropolo's deal to stay in SF.

(1) He hasn't been in any of the meetings, had a playbook etc. Which makes sense if you are planning to trade him, but now puts him behind in learning any new wrinkles to the offense. That said, if Lance gets hurt Shanahan will go back to tailoring the offense to Jimmy so it shouldn't be a huge deal.
(2) More importantly, this potentially sets up locker room division if Lance struggles at all out of the gate. Some players will start pushing for Jimmy to go back to starting. There's been a lot of whispers of Lance not being ready and Shanahan saying that "he's as ready as he's going to be" didn't help at all. The team has said Lance is their guy, but they've certainly hedged their bets at every turn and that's only going to add pressure to the first time starting QB who already has to prove he was worth trading 3 FRPs for.

I hope Lance comes out of the gate hot. Because if he doesn't, this season could be a disaster in a few ways.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
It’s going to happen. Trey’s essentially a rookie that’s played 4 games of actual football in 2 entire years.

I can hear it already. The questions in every single media meeting. It’s going to wear on Trey. It’s going to wear on the team. An unneeded distraction. Trey gets in his own head, the struggles continue … the pressure mounts more for John and Kyle to make a move.

They may as well Aaron Rodgers Trey and have him sit another year because this year has the look of a potential trainwreck.

(1) He hasn't been in any of the meetings, had a playbook etc. Which makes sense if you are planning to trade him, but now puts him behind in learning any new wrinkles to the offense. That said, if Lance gets hurt Shanahan will go back to tailoring the offense to Jimmy so it shouldn't be a huge deal.
(2) More importantly, this potentially sets up locker room division if Lance struggles at all out of the gate. Some players will start pushing for Jimmy to go back to starting. There's been a lot of whispers of Lance not being ready and Shanahan saying that "he's as ready as he's going to be" didn't help at all. The team has said Lance is their guy, but they've certainly hedged their bets at every turn and that's only going to add pressure to the first time starting QB who already has to prove he was worth trading 3 FRPs for.

I hope Lance comes out of the gate hot. Because if he doesn't, this season could be a disaster in a few ways.
All decent points, but I just don't think that locker room division will exist. It's a Mahomes replacing Alex Smith situation. Shanny and Lynch HAVE to make Trey work; the draft capital they put into him is just too great. Everyone knows the deal; it's never been a competition since the 49ers drafted Lance.

I'm sure Jimmy knows the deal and he's actually a good guy/teammate so I'm sure he's more than willing to embrace that mentor role for a year or if he gets traded at the deadline. The 49ers took care of him with the restructure, which should create good will for him to embrace that role. And having him protects the season from falling off a cliff if Trey does get hurt.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

Both of these can be true. And I think they are. But I do think that the locker room will stay together behind Trey because that is their QB.

Obviously, I hope Trey comes out playing at least decent and Jimmy gets traded to a good position (for him) before long (I like the guy, even with his shortcomings, and he's been the ultimate pro throughout this). Nice to have someone of his caliber on the bench but it is indeed Trey's team going forward. Hopefully with the lower 1-year salary Jimmy is more tradable for assets as the real games begin and the inevitable QB injuries start to mount around the league.

Both of these can be true. And I think they are. But I do think that the locker room will stay together behind Trey because that is their QB.
It's a Mahomes replacing Alex Smith situation.
I'm a big Trey Lance fan but just to play devil's advocate here, he's only "their QB" and this is only a "Mahomes replacing Alex Smith situation" if Trey plays well.

If he stinks up the joint in his first few games and the team is 0-4 I'm pretty sure a lot of guys will start looking down the bench at Jimmy.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm a big Trey Lance fan but just to play devil's advocate here, he's only "their QB" and this is only a "Mahomes replacing Alex Smith situation" if Trey plays well.

If he stinks up the joint in his first few games and the team is 0-4 I'm pretty sure a lot of guys will start looking down the bench at Jimmy.
To be fair, if the Niners start the season 0-4, they’ve got bigger problems than a QB controversy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’m pretty convinced even 10 years down the line Dontae Johnson will be getting signed to the practice squad with a solid chance of getting weekly reps.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Lol John “I had two second rounders for Jimmy on the table” Lynch still trying to tell the media he was in deep trade discussions about Jim around the Combine.

Anyone get NFL+ or NFL+Premium? It notes get "live games "in your local market" on phone or tablet" -- is this an "app" for phone/tablet then - so no out of market games streamed?

Someone mentioned using chromecast - but I dont see much point in this if I'm limited to the same games I'd be getting OTA. For the premium, I guess it'd be nice if all commercials are edited out, but but I can fast-forward just as well.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Nice to see the Rams get wiped to start the season....aside from the 2Q, Bills have won the game convincingly.
They’re annoying. Not because they beat us last season (we beat ourselves, Sup Tartt and Jim) but because the salary cap and draft picks don’t exist to them. I cannot wait until it catches up to them.

I wonder how the Rams are going to win enough games this season when they only have one good wideout
Rams got shutdown on the run for 52 yards - Higbee dropped a couple balls and Robinson was MIA. I think quite a few teams along with the Bills would've beaten the Rams tonight. They looked toothless.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Rams got shutdown on the run for 52 yards - Higbee dropped a couple balls and Robinson was MIA. I think quite a few teams along with the Bills would've beaten the Rams tonight. They looked toothless.
where did the Rams rank in the running game last season?

where did the Rams rank in the running game last season?
Looks like #20 in the regular season 99 yards avg....the Bills shut the Rams running game down all night last night, and the pass wasn't much better. 5 interceptions between the 2 teams is I'd guess double the average. 7 sacks for the Bills too....alot. As Collinsworth (whom annoys me) correctly observed, who's the Rams 2nd receiver to Kupp? The Rams last year were a clone team to the 49ers with a moderately better QB and secondary. They still have those advantages, but their RBs and Receiving core have regressed . For the Bills, Allen's walking a tightrope with injury risk the way he runs. They haven't trained-in the slide well enough. Bills defense were impressive although 1/2 interceptions for Allen was poor giving Allen a merely 'good' game - how well the defense played, they could afford the mistakes anyway. The Bills certainly look a contender.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lol, apparently the Rams had to go to the silent count at home, in their home debut off a super bowl win.
More concerning than the silent count thing is the fact they looked like doodoo on both ends of the field.

Last edited: