NFL 2022-2023 Season Thread

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What an awful injury for Jimmy and the 9ers. He was headed to a $100m+ payday and the 9ers were looking like one of the favorites to win it all... completely fell apart for both sides.

Purdy played as well as anyone could've expected a 3rd string rookie QB who was drafted dead last in the draft However, he's not talented enough to lead a NFL team through the playoffs.

The NFL needs to have some type of qb injury trade exception. We have no real options aside from riding with Purdy. A washed Cam Newton or Fitzpatrick does very little for us.
Jim’s not talented enough to lead a team through the playoffs either.

No way for that kind of salary......it is bad luck, but I'm looking forward to watching the rookie QB anyway. 49ers are going to need to draft a new QB again as high as they can with all the injury history.
Assuming Jimmy G kept up his current play, he would've easily gotten a 4yr $160million contract in FA. He'd be locked in for 40mpy, but that's the range that above average QBs get paid. https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback

The only way he would've came back a 9er is if we won the Super Bowl.. but with his injury, it's completely out of the question now. I'm not sure what he gets in FA. Maybe 30-35mpy?

Jim’s not talented enough to lead a team through the playoffs either.
Completely disagree with you Slab. Jimmy already led us 2 separate times through the playoffs, and it would've been a 3rd this season. He's not an elite QB who will drag a terrible team to the playoffs, but he's a QB who wins and knows how to make winning plays.

He was starting to look like 2019 Jimmy again. He's been playing amazing lately and no one can deny that.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Completely disagree with you Slab. Jimmy already led us 2 separate times through the playoffs, and it would've been a 3rd this season. He's not an elite QB who will drag a terrible team to the playoffs, but he's a QB who wins and knows how to make winning plays.

He was starting to look like 2019 Jimmy again. He's been playing amazing lately and no one can deny that.
Generally agreed, and he's been playing much closer to his ceiling recently. I wouldn't say he's been playing amazing, but he's been pretty good.

With the bolded part, he has to be on a team constructed where the QB isn't the biggest factor in winning. He's a starting-caliber QB, but he needs to be a game manager and not depended on to do things himself.

SLAB

Hall of Famer

I cannot deny he’s been balling this year. But the other shoe was going to drop at some point. Jim is what he is and there would be a point where he and he alone has to make the play… He’s probably better than what I give him credit for, but still doesn’t make him anything special. When he’s mistake free, the team around him has the talent to win.

I'm not even sure if they'll be able to make the playoffs with Purdy. He seems fairly accurate but makes Shaun Hill's arm look like a cannon. The Dolphins threw the kitchen sink at him on almost every pass attempt and he didn't do as badly as I expected. Dude had like 1 second to get rid of the ball on half those throws and didn't completely fall apart. About as good as you could ever expect the last pick in the draft to play.

The bad thing is that it was a straight up brawl to get first downs with Purdy out there. We might be seeing some ugly football to finish up the season. Purdy is going to have to do slightly better than every other non Jimmy G QB in Shanny's offense to get the Niners to the playoffs.

I'm not even sure if they'll be able to make the playoffs with Purdy. He seems fairly accurate but makes Shaun Hill's arm look like a cannon. The Dolphins threw the kitchen sink at him on almost every pass attempt and he didn't do as badly as I expected. Dude had like 1 second to get rid of the ball on half those throws and didn't completely fall apart. About as good as you could ever expect the last pick in the draft to play.

The bad thing is that it was a straight up brawl to get first downs with Purdy out there. We might be seeing some ugly football to finish up the season. Purdy is going to have to do slightly better than every other non Jimmy G QB in Shanny's offense to get the Niners to the playoffs.
I mean, I must have been watching a different game, because damn. I thought the O-Line let Purdy down in a huge way, forcing him to make super quick throws, escape the pocket, etc. It was a brawl because the interior O-Line especially couldnt block.

That strike to Kittle in 1 sec with the unblocked D-Line was awesome. I imagine a big chunk of the playbook wasn't in to keep things as simple as possible. With him getting 1st team reps this week, I imagine a few more things will get unlocked.

I mean, I must have been watching a different game, because damn. I thought the O-Line let Purdy down in a huge way, forcing him to make super quick throws, escape the pocket, etc. It was a brawl because the interior O-Line especially couldnt block.

That strike to Kittle in 1 sec with the unblocked D-Line was awesome. I imagine a big chunk of the playbook wasn't in to keep things as simple as possible. With him getting 1st team reps this week, I imagine a few more things will get unlocked.
The O Line wasn't playing their best but the Dolphins were just blitzing more players than we had to block them. Notice how they rushed the QB completely differently once Purdy got in the game? That's because a good QB would pick that apart for huge YAC plays with everyone being 1 on 1 in the secondary. There were a few missed assignments in there but most of that was just them sending more players than we had blocking so it was like someone was always coming in free.

Yeah that was an eye opening throw to Kittle for sure. He also hit Kittle on that first down but had Kroft right behind him who could have gone for 40 yards if he would have saw him. All in all he played extremely well but we all know how a QB like this can completely fall apart once the defenses game plan around their short comings.

From here on out, the opposing defenses are going to stack the box and make Purdy beat them. I think our run game is going to suffer because of it as well. Shanahan has his work cut out for him.

The O Line wasn't playing their best but the Dolphins were just blitzing more players than we had to block them. Notice how they rushed the QB completely differently once Purdy got in the game? That's because a good QB would pick that apart for huge YAC plays with everyone being 1 on 1 in the secondary. There were a few missed assignments in there but most of that was just them sending more players than we had blocking so it was like someone was always coming in free.

Yeah that was an eye opening throw to Kittle for sure. He also hit Kittle on that first down but had Kroft right behind him who could have gone for 40 yards if he would have saw him. All in all he played extremely well but we all know how a QB like this can completely fall apart once the defenses game plan around their short comings.

From here on out, the opposing defenses are going to stack the box and make Purdy beat them. I think our run game is going to suffer because of it as well. Shanahan has his work cut out for him.
Absolutely. Not a perfect scenario by any means, but I think Purdy showed enough that you keep him in there and rely on that experience he's gotten with the playbook and being around the team. My only point is *Maybe* he doesn't absolutely suck and can at least get the ball out quick and on time. He showed a ton of poise and really did have some great throws yesterday. Let's see if it was all a fluke after a defense gets to game-plan for him for a week or maybe he has enough juice to keep this train going. Like you said, Miami straight challenged Purdy to go win the game and I think he really did deliver for the most part. About as much as you could hope to expect.

We know Baker sucks. He's been the worst starting QB in the NFL this year and probably the last few years if we're being honest. Super inaccurate, mistake prone. That's not a good fit for this system.

They should sign Mayfield…just in case. It’s not like he’s ever had the amount of skill players around him like the Niners have..and an offensive line like the Niners. Go for it.

Tom Brady does it again.
When are teams going to realize that they can't give elite/hall of fame bound quarterbacks, such as Tom Brady, any time on the clock and any sort of room on the field to work with, even when said quarterback is down by at least a touchdown. They'll burn the heck out of your defense more often than you think.

All elite quarterbacks, past and present (and future)....

Brady, Manning, Mahomes...Give them anything to work with, whether it be a wide open field, or time on the clock, with their backs against the wall, and you're gonna get smoked. They're all way too damn good for you to count them out. A 13 point deficit, even late in the 4th quarter, is next to nothing for most elite/hall of fame quarterbacks in the league.

Doesn't mattrer....I dont see much if any drop off from Garrapolo to Purdy....he can actually scramble too which is something more. That 1st down throw down the middle to Kittle would've been a sack on Ken doll. Unfortunately the interceptions will probably accompany Purdy though. Purdy needs to work on his scrambling this week - he's gonna be doing heaps of it against the buccaneers.