NFL 2022-2023 Season Thread

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
This 49er team is good, but not as good as the 2020 team. Playing the Dolphins is a good litmus test as I think the Dolphins are 3rd or 4th in the NFL with explosive offense. I expect the 49ers to lose against the Dolphins by a TD at least. The Raiders nipping the Seahawks gifts the 49ers the loss-cushion against the Dolphins. Great matchups this coming weekend: Good Thurs game too Bills/Patsies, Chiefs/Bengals,, Titans/Eagles, Jets/Vikings, Commanders/Giants .
Surely you mean the 2019 team (that was one awful quarter of football away from being Super Bowl champions). I think it's a toss-up which is the better team. That 2019 Niners squad had DeFo, Bosa, and Armstead in the front 4 and we haven't seen a healthy defensive frontline yet this season but otherwise I think this defense is just as good if not better. The linebackers and safeties groups in particular have really stepped up this year. And there should be better depth in the D-Line if we ever do get Bosa, Armstead, Kinlaw, and Jackson healthy at the same time. On offense it's a different O-Line this year but they've been playing well lately (other than McGlinchey who seems to keep getting worse). I think we have a better group of receivers in 2022 than we had in 2019. Mostert had a playoff run worth celebrating in 2019 but McCaffrey also adds value as a receiver. Post-injury Jimmy is even worse at the long throws. I suppose it's too early to compare them to a team that played in the Super Bowl but it's the same core group and I don't think any of the personnel changes jump out as downgrades.

I will admit...That Niner defense is legit. Hopefully legit enough to take down the Eagles if it comes down to that matchup in the NFC Championship.

I'd say that my Cowboys could give the Niner defense trouble, but I'd be lying if I did.

Surely you mean the 2019 team (that was one awful quarter of football away from being Super Bowl champions). I think it's a toss-up which is the better team. That 2019 Niners squad had DeFo, Bosa, and Armstead in the front 4 and we haven't seen a healthy defensive frontline yet this season but otherwise I think this defense is just as good if not better. The linebackers and safeties groups in particular have really stepped up this year. And there should be better depth in the D-Line if we ever do get Bosa, Armstead, Kinlaw, and Jackson healthy at the same time. On offense it's a different O-Line this year but they've been playing well lately (other than McGlinchey who seems to keep getting worse). I think we have a better group of receivers in 2022 than we had in 2019. Mostert had a playoff run worth celebrating in 2019 but McCaffrey also adds value as a receiver. Post-injury Jimmy is even worse at the long throws. I suppose it's too early to compare them to a team that played in the Super Bowl but it's the same core group and I don't think any of the personnel changes jump out as downgrades.
The Superbowl highlighted what has been the problem for this particular team over 3 of the 4 seasons: QB and offense.
The offense this year has fallen off some to the SuperBowl team - even Garrapolo was having a better year then.....his best game as a 49er was a 2019 regular season win vs Saints when the Saints were better. The defense is close, but with injuries not as good....problem this year is offense just like last year. You see what happens when the defense has a poor game, the offense is not good enough to handle scoring enough, although maybe a bit better than last year, Garrapolo is still a big handicap. They may be able to win a playoff game or 2, but they could get booted during any 1 game. I think barring major injuries the team can finish 11-6 - might face the Giants, Redskins, or Seahawks for Wild Card weekend. I have yet to see them have a good offensive game against a mediocre team even - I guess maybe the early Seahawk win but that's it. Zero faith in Garrapolo to rise to the moment.

I don't get the point in being perpetually unhappy with a superbowl caliber team. How easy we forget the Ericsson, Tomsula, Nolan and Kelly years.

Just enjoy the fact that you're watching a good team. It's like being unhappy during the Webber years. Yeah they didn't win a championship but we all look back on this years a hell of a lot fonder than the years that came after it.

Unless dude takes a discount he’s gone. He’s played himself into a legit contract from someone. He’d wipe the floor with Lance in a competition if he returned though.
Depends on how much of a discount....for Garrapolo it might make sense to stay as a backup for say 3-5 seasons and possibly play longer with better longevity....he's not a good enough QB to play past mid-30s. He might be able to make more money in a shorter time period but that would be risky, and teams will not pay him near his 49ers bonanza original contract.