NFL 2021-2022 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a bit like late career Alex Smith. He wins but he needs a good defense. His mistakes stick out a lot more than his good plays too. Probably because neither player really throw the ball downfield that well for big plays. They just kind of methodically move down the field and score on a forgettable 1 yard hand off to the RB.

Jimmy is 23-8 as a Niners QB. They looked liked a dumpster fire before trading for him and they're a dumpster fire any time he's out injured. Lance may be a much better QB in time but I think he's well behind Jimmy right now from what I've seen. I don't see any reason why the team shouldn't be patient as long as they're on a trajectory for the playoffs.
Jimmy's "problem" is he's like the 18th-22nd best QB in the league. Makes some good throws, can feed talented players, run the offense well. Late career Alex Smith is a great comparison. But he's proven he's not a guy who can put the team on his shoulders and carry the team. He's not going to win you games like a Russ/Kyler/Mahomes/Allen/Lamar. The super bowl was the perfect example on how big of a difference an elite QB makes in the playoffs and tough games.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Man, I can’t look at another team looking too vad because Russell Wilson would have annihilated us yesterday too. We gave up 30-plus to Jarred Goff and someone St Brown. We were lucky we played a bottom-dweller.

Anyways, I’d always have much rather have vastly overpaid Buck (who I don’t think is overpaid) than AA (who is). Said from day one it was a team-altering mistake.
the thing is that if you signed Buck, you’d lose AA and not have the Kinlaw pick (Niners really missed him taking on double teams in the middle yesterday) and potentially end up having to reach for a DT at the end of the first rather than trading up for Aiyuk, wouldn’t have the cap room to re-sign Ward last offseason AND you wouldn’t have the cap space to extend Warner and/or Williams this season.
it’s not a Buckner or AA scenario.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Jimmy's "problem" is he's like the 18th-22nd best QB in the league. Makes some good throws, can feed talented players, run the offense well. Late career Alex Smith is a great comparison. But he's proven he's not a guy who can put the team on his shoulders and carry the team. He's not going to win you games like a Russ/Kyler/Mahomes/Allen/Lamar. The super bowl was the perfect example on how big of a difference an elite QB makes in the playoffs and tough games.
I'd probably put him in the 10-15 range, bottom part of the top half. But he's consistently there, which should also count for something. As a Brady fan so often he was just outside of people's top 5 on any given year it was stupid because he was that good for 17 out of 20 years (first two and then one due to injury) but always being written off as not a top 5 going into the season.

I don't think Jimmy is remotely in Brady's league, I just think he's in the boring category of guys that you really don't appreciate until you have a genuinely bad quarterback again. But I think if he can stay healthy he can enjoy another 8+ years in the league without being a flash in the pan like so many guys who put together 1-2 huge years and then get paid and crash.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Jags would probably do well to get out of Meyer so easily but I'd give that about a .004% chance of happening.
Bobby Petrino once ghosted the Vick Falcons mid-season so it’s not impossible and Urban Meyer does have a history of pretending to get sick to get out of jobs he doesn’t want to do anymore and has apparently already lost the Jags locker room so who knows?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Gonna watch MNF the way god intended it. With the Manning Brothers blabbing about whatever on a set somewhere thousands of miles away from the stadium.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Bobby Petrino once ghosted the Vick Falcons mid-season so it’s not impossible and Urban Meyer does have a history of pretending to get sick to get out of jobs he doesn’t want to do anymore and has apparently already lost the Jags locker room so who knows?
Oh yeah I remember Petrino's exit well. I wouldn't put it against either side in a vacuum I just don't think it's actually going to happen, today.

Not sure why USC fired their coach today as I bet they could have put out feelers to get Meyer in at a time that would look better for both - safe to say Jags aren't going anywhere, but even a 4-12 year and leaving is going to look better than bolting after 0-1 or 0-2 start?

That I don’t agree with. Sober Aldon is a Hall of Famer.
You don't remember Justin Smith getting out of his stance and holding his man's jersey with his left hand and Aldon's man with his right hand, which allowed Aldon to get that step around the corner? Aldon doesn't get 19.5 that year with an average player next to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.