NFL 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Did we watch the same game?????? I thought the Niners did a pretty good job in the rain against Jackson and crew. In all honesty, the game was a lot closer than I thought it would be. Since I didn't really expect the Niners to win, I'm not that upset about the loss.
I didn’t expect to win either. Which makes Shanahan’s bizarre close/important game brain-melts all the more infuriating.

The playcall on 4th down made zero sense. The bizarre clock managment at the end of the 1st half. He loses it when it matters. (See, Super Bowl and then OT against the Hawks)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I didn’t expect to win either. Which makes Shanahan’s bizarre close/important game brain-melts all the more infuriating.

The playcall on 4th down made zero sense. The bizarre clock managment at the end of the 1st half. He loses it when it matters. (See, Super Bowl and then OT against the Hawks)
I get not wanting the other team to get the ball back after your possession but it was probably a little early to run out the clock there. (Also while Lamar is really freaking good, he's not exactly Drew Brees-level when it comes to organizing a 90 yard thirty second drive quite yet)

I didn’t want to say it during the game to avoid being a jinx, but I’m actually not that enamored by the Ravens. I know its typical for fans to say but the Niners served this game up for them. This could easily have been a game where the Niners won by 10. They tripped over their own feet.

We’ve seen this show to varying degrees and it typically has a short shelf life. We saw it here with Kaepernick probably having the shortest prime of any high level QB of all time. I believe that whether or not Jackson ends up getting himself killed on a run or just gets figured out. Obviously the window is wide open for now and they are as legit contenders as anybody...but this happens often when teams do the option in slightly a different way with a more dynamic runner but eventually the wall gets built and they have to start making plays with their arms.

I felt the better team lost today against a better coach.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I didn’t want to say it during the game to avoid being a jinx, but I’m actually not that enamored by the Ravens. I know its typical for fans to say but the Niners served this game up for them. This could easily have been a game where the Niners won by 10. They tripped over their own feet.

We’ve seen this show to varying degrees and it typically has a short shelf life. We saw it here. I believe that whether or not Jackson ends up getting himself killed on a run or just gets figured out. Obviously the window is wide open for now and they are as legit contenders as anybody...but this happens often when teams do the option in slightly a different way with a more dynamic runner but eventually the wall gets built and they have to start making plays with their arms.

I felt the better team lost today against a better coach.
The Niners also looked unbeatable with a Harbaugh and Roman calling the plays and a uberdynamic running QB. We saw how that ended up.

The only reason Russ has lasted as long as he has is that he's essentially turned himself a slightly faster Drew Brees. One can only hope Lamar does something similar.

Going shotgun on 4th and 1 in the rain when they were making gains almost every run play was just ridiculous. Not sure what Shanahan's problem is but in close games he tries to get cute. If he insists on passing at least go play-action out of a two TE set. Most like they cover Kittle and leave Dwelling wide open. You gave much less chance of a deflection out of a play-action as the lineman are thinking tackle the runner and not getting their hands up.

Between the shaky kicking game (Gould isn't what he used to be) and Shanahan continually crumbling under pressure in tight games.....the playoff hopes just don't seem great for the 49ers unless they're way ahead.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Going shotgun on 4th and 1 in the rain when they were making gains almost every run play was just ridiculous. Not sure what Shanahan's problem is but in close games he tries to get cute. If he insists on passing at least go play-action out of a two TE set. Most like they cover Kittle and leave Dwelling wide open. You gave much less chance of a deflection out of a play-action as the lineman are thinking tackle the runner and not getting their hands up.

Between the shaky kicking game (Gould isn't what he used to be) and Shanahan continually crumbling under pressure in tight games.....the playoff hopes just don't seem great for the 49ers unless they're way ahead.
Seriously? You do realize he just came back from injury, right? He missed a field goal from over 50 yards in abysmal weather. I wouldn't be counting him out quite so quickly.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Seriously? You do realize he just came back from injury, right? He missed a field goal from over 50 yards in abysmal weather. I wouldn't be counting him out quite so quickly.
What about before the injury? He certainly wasn’t good then.

Though it wasn’t on Gould today. Shanahan (again, there’s a theme here) gameplanning to kick a 50-yarder in that weather at the end of the first half was downright stupid.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Though it wasn’t on Gould today. Shanahan (again, there’s a theme here) gameplanning to kick a 50-yarder in that weather at the end of the first half was downright stupid.
The theme here is you have to find someone to blame (which is fine) while I tend to look at it as a good game where a few things just didn't go our way. I really didn't see it as "gameplanning to kick a 50-yarder" ...

I know we're never gonna see eye-to-eye but I don't fault you your passion. I've just found that (for me) it's easier to enjoy the game and not get too wrapped up in coaches' decisions. It's not like Shanahan wanted to have to rely on Gould from outside 50 yards.

I guess I look at it this way: if it weren't for Shanahan and what he's done with the team, we wouldn't be leading the division with a 10-2 record.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

:rolleyes:. Have you looked at his season stats?

14/22

Yes I'm serious.
You know what? I'm gonna back out. You guys need to point fingers to explain the loss; I don't. It's as simple as that. Carry on.

Shanny hasn't gone conservative all year, which made that drive at the end of the first half all the more bizarre. I was yelling all game for them to just concentrate on the run and force Jackson to beat you with his arm. They finally made adjustments in the 2nd half the Ravens weren't nearly as effective but in the end the game came down to just a few plays and the Ravens out executed the Niners.

You know what? I'm gonna back out. You guys need to point fingers to explain the loss; I don't. It's as simple as that. Carry on.
Yes that's the spirit run away when presented with actual season long statistics. Robbie Gould is having a bad year for a kicker. 14/22 is not good.

If you had read my post you would also notice I wasn't even talking about this game specifically. I was talking about the Niners having problems in the playoffs in a tight game because of said kicking woes and Shanahan's continual problems calling plays and timeouts in tight games (not just this year).

But please by all means keep attacking my posts with nothing more than emotion to backup your argument. Who needs details, statistics, analysis of specific play calls, etc.

Robbie Gould is having a bad year for a kicker. 14/22 is not good.
As a neutral, I agree that taken in a vacuum, that looks horrible. But I'd have to know more about the kicks he missed.

As a Pats fan, I think I'd rather have Robbie Gould than, checks this week's notes, Kai Forbath.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
As a neutral, I agree that taken in a vacuum, that looks horrible. But I'd have to know more about the kicks he missed.

As a Pats fan, I think I'd rather have Robbie Gould than, checks this week's notes, Kai Forbath.
He’s been horrible from distance. Don’t think he’s hit one attempt above 50. A few misses below.

I agree with you serg, when your kicker has those stats, regardless of the reason, you have to compensate. And the niners did not take advantage of what they had in front of them in the 2 losses they’ve had.
Shanny is answering for his questionable time management right now with good reason. When you play in the NFC west, every little thing you do counts. As good as the niners are, a minor losing streak could knock them out of the playoff hunt. It’s absolutely insane when you consider how good the niners have been this season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yes that's the spirit run away when presented with actual season long statistics. Robbie Gould is having a bad year for a kicker. 14/22 is not good.

If you had read my post you would also notice I wasn't even talking about this game specifically. I was talking about the Niners having problems in the playoffs in a tight game because of said kicking woes and Shanahan's continual problems calling plays and timeouts in tight games (not just this year).

But please by all means keep attacking my posts with nothing more than emotion to backup your argument. Who needs details, statistics, analysis of specific play calls, etc.
Okay. Here I go ... running away.

I had a bad feeling about tonight's game after reading the Pats chartered two flights which is making that 9ers loss today sting all the more. Was hoping our rematch with Baltimore would be on our turf, now that's in serious jeopardy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Mighty Pats not looking too mighty.

Ravens
Hawks
Niners
Pats

Saints are also somewhere up there, we’ll find out where next week,

Then the rest

Mighty Pats not looking too mighty.
At least 7 starters were on the alleged flu plane. Hard to say how much of an impact that has. Still if Watson is giving them this much trouble I can't see them beating the Ravens right now even if they do get the home game. Imagine Brady wants to go out on top and if they don't win this year next season will probably be his last.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At least 7 starters were on the alleged flu plane. Hard to say how much of an impact that has. Still if Watson is giving them this much trouble I can't see them beating the Ravens right now even if they do get the home game. Imagine Brady wants to go out on top and if they don't win this year next season will probably be his last.
Not really sure you want Brady out there next year though. Time seems to have finally caught up to him.

Not really sure you want Brady out there next year though. Time seems to have finally caught up to him.
We don't have a choice. We drafted and developed one hell of a replacement but couldn't keep him. I think in the ideal world they find the guy next year and have him understudy one year.

Incidentally I think Bill was going to move on and Kraft put a stop to it. And I am ok with that, as I am sure anyone who remembers watching Joe Montana in a Chiefs uniform would be.

^Taking nothing away from the 9ers, they are anything but a lock to come out of the NFC.

I think the Ravens are top dog right now by a fair margin. Seahawks, 9ers, Pats, Saints all can make varying cases for their spot in the next 5. And the Chiefs, Packers and Bills (seriously) are no joke.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
^Taking nothing away from the 9ers, they are anything but a lock to come out of the NFC.

I think the Ravens are top dog right now by a fair margin. Seahawks, 9ers, Pats, Saints all can make varying cases for their spot in the next 5. And the Chiefs, Packers and Bills (seriously) are no joke.
I have zero faith in the Niners ever beating the Seahawks again, so that about seals it for them in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.