New viewing place to watch games?

Since JoeyB's is closing, where are we going to meet for another viewing party?

Sunday, August 13th, the Monarchs will play their final regular-season game against the Phoenix Mercury. The game will take place in Phoenix, starting at 7:00 p.m. on Fox Sports Net/Comcast Sports Net/NBA-TV.

We will need a place to congregate to watch our Monarchs for the remainder of the season and post-season.

Perhaps at Hangar 17? Or some other place?

Good Question...I spoke to the owner of Ohsima Sushi once, he said we more than welcome. It is in Natomas off Truxel across from McDonalds. They have a variety of foods not just sushi, but it is a Japanese resturant...yum!

Something about the owner having two business's ,one here in Sac & the other in Southern Ca. He is partially blind & was using the benefits on both resturants, he was supposed to get them on one. Something like that.

Last edited:
At tonight's section party upstairs they announced the next viewing party as the Phx game on 8/13 and they said it would be at Joey B's. I guess someone mentioned that they had heard the place was closing because they then said, they would send out an email to let everyone know if they would have to change the location.

It looks like the Monarchs' staff are going to have to find a new location.

Last Saturday (July 29th), I stopped by Joey B's in person and talked with the general manager there, Julie Reynolds.

She said that night (that is, last Saturday) was the final night they were going to serve food. After that, they will only serve drinks, but not food.

Then I asked her if we can bring in food to the restaurant. She said that the answer would mostly likely be "no", if only because of local health and sanitation laws. (I told her that it would hardly matter, since that place was scheduled to close down anyway!)

NothinButHoops suggested the Oshima Sushi. I stopped by there right after the game last night, it seems impressive. Lots of TV screens. But I don't know how many people are expected to be there if the Monarchs' staff is "officially" involved in a viewing party.

Here's their website, if you want to see what the place looks like:
http://www.oshimasushi.com/

Last edited:
ah but do they have bread pudding...that's the question...;) We'd be 5-0 if JoeyB's EVER had the bread pudding they falsely advertise having on their menu. I'm starting to be convinced of that.

Last edited:
No Bread Pudding MBF....maybe we can get some from Mimi's cafe & bring it over or go out for it afterwards!
I think Oshima would be cool informally, since they have regular diners. It says it's a sports bar & they do have lots of cool screens....however times I've been there, I have'nt heard many folks jumping up & down & cheering!
We all know Monarch fans are loud & proud!

Part of NothinButHoops' post:
...I think Oshima would be cool informally, since they have regular diners. It says it's a sports bar & they do have lots of cool screens....however times I've been there, I haven't heard many folks jumping up & down & cheering!...
Yeah, I had never been there before until after last night's game, but it does seem a bit strange to envision a big sports fan crowd yelling and cheering at a sushi place! :)

Since we're on the subject of sports bars, why is there a lack of sports bars in the Natomas area? I know Chris Webber is a partner in a place that is under construction (it was mentioned in the SacBee last winter), but you would think there would be lots of sports bars/restaurants around Arco Arena already. (Sorry, but I don't consider Applebee's a sports bar, even though some of the Monarch players have been known to eat there after games!)

(Click below):
http://www.sacobserver.com/business/010306/chris_webber_restauranteur.shtml

Good Question Steven. Looks like in the fall C-WEBB's CenterCourt will open.
That may be a fun place for sure. I know at one time Yolanda G. thought about it after she retires. I read she has snice changed her mind. That would have been fun...Yo's Place!