Neemi

I was looking at Neemi’s free throw stats and I was shocked to see he shot 80% from the line. Very few players shoot that well from the line and shoot poorly from 3.

The Kings are clearly bringing him along slowly but he could well be a better piece than many have thought especially if he can defend the pick and roll.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Has shown everything he needs to show in G League. At this point, he needs to be with the main team and coaches so he can grow or you need to cut him loose. I personally think Brown can find time for him this year….maybe not every game but he can get time and grow. Of course, unless they think he just doesn’t have the IQ for the game because the size and skill set is there

I didn't know where to put it, but was wondering today if Keon Ellis could be our 5th guard and Neemi our 5th/6th big? Like actual roster spots, not 2ways.

Has shown everything he needs to show in G League. At this point, he needs to be with the main team and coaches so he can grow or you need to cut him loose. I personally think Brown can find time for him this year….maybe not every game but he can get time and grow. Of course, unless they think he just doesn’t have the IQ for the game because the size and skill set is there
Yeah, agreed. I think in a perfect world, Brown lets Lyles take the primary back-up C and Queta is match-up dependent vs the super big boys and gets maybe... 300-400 minutes over the course of the season? It'd be a mistake to fully rely onto him as the back-up C, but I do think he deserves an NBA shot and an opportunity to carve an NBA role.

Yeah, agreed. I think in a perfect world, Brown lets Lyles take the primary back-up C and Queta is match-up dependent vs the super big boys and gets maybe... 300-400 minutes over the course of the season? It'd be a mistake to fully rely onto him as the back-up C, but I do think he deserves an NBA shot and an opportunity to carve an NBA role.
I don’t think they are going to move him up for a back-up role. He is going to be kept in Stockton playing daily and developing his skills and IQ. Part of that will be shooting a 3.

Last edited:
I don’t think they are going to move him up for a back-up role. He is going to be kept in Stockton playing daily and developing his skills and IQ. Part of that will be shooting a 3.
I mean, what's left for him to prove in the G-League? He's spent 2 years there, he's going to be 24 by the season rolls around. He's shown he's one of the best players in that league.

Waiting for a 3-ball seems silly. It's got to be put up or shut up time for him with the big league club. To me, it'd be a waste of a roster slot keeping him for a 3rd season in the G-League.

I don't see any reason he couldn't (or shouldn't) fill the Alex Len role and be the 11th/12th man on the squad. The obvious benefit of that is you aren't relying on him for everyday minutes, BUT he does give you some potential upside if he proves he can be more than that.

I mean, what's left for him to prove in the G-League? He's spent 2 years there, he's going to be 24 by the season rolls around. He's shown he's one of the best players in that league.

Waiting for a 3-ball seems silly. It's got to be put up or shut up time for him with the big league club. To me, it'd be a waste of a roster slot keeping him for a 3rd season in the G-League.

I don't see any reason he couldn't (or shouldn't) fill the Alex Len role and be the 11th/12th man on the squad. The obvious benefit of that is you aren't relying on him for everyday minutes, BUT he does give you some potential upside if he proves he can be more than that.
it’s not really about proving it’s about developing. He doesn’t develop in Len’s role. 24 isn’t old for a big like him who hasn’t played. Adding a 3 point shot is huge especially if playing next to Sabonis.

it’s not really about proving it’s about developing. He doesn’t develop in Len’s role. 24 isn’t old for a big like him who hasn’t played. Adding a 3 point shot is huge especially if playing next to Sabonis.
How are you developing if you're one of the best players in the league that you play in? And what indication has he given as a pro that a 3-ball is even somewhat close to happening? Do you keep him down another 3 years for that shot to develop?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
maybe when the time is appropriate, let's nab one of Miami's player development personnel and see what juice they can extract out of Queta and Ellis

Or, the other way to look at this is where do you replace these minutes?

Holmes: 348 minutes
Metu: 689 minutes
Len: 161 minutes

1161 total minutes from back-up C's last season. And ideally, we don't have to push Domas for 2700 minutes again or he potentially has some injury, so lets say you need to find like 1400 minutes from the back-up C slot. Roughly 17ish MPG (account for Domas not having to play as much and if he misses time).

To me, instead of wasting a bunch of money on a back-up C, bump up Trey Lyles as the small-ball 5 minutes and plug Queta into that Metu MPG role and see if he can hold it down. In an ideal world, I don't think Monte wants any of these 3 guys back.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I am extremely hopeful and optimistic about Queta. That being said expect to see him in summer league as the star of the team with an exaggerated roll much like Metu had last season. Of course the big question is how does that translate one seed starts logging minutes with team. Sadly I have to agree that given the current NBA a three-point shot is almost required but if he can hit the free throw at 80% he should be able to hit uncontested threes at a decent clip it's just a matter of time opportunity and practice.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think Neemi needs to play legit NBA bigs to further his development……they just aren’t there in the GL. I think Neemi has shown a 3 point shot and some passing skills. Maybe not at a high level but he’s shown enough that I think it’s all there. But GL is not where he’s going to develop anymore. We need to see if he can rebound, defend, protect the paint at the NBA level.

I honestly don’t see why he can’t take Len’s spot. Len pretty much ride the bench all year until the last week of the season and the first two game of playoffs. Certainly can do that with Queta and let him have some runs with the team in practice

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

Agreed. You develop your 3pt shot over the summer and during practice, not in games, whether it's G-League or NBA games. Keeping him in Stockton to develop a specific skill like that makes no sense.

I think Neemi needs to play legit NBA bigs to further his development……they just aren’t there in the GL. I think Neemi has shown a 3 point shot and some passing skills. Maybe not at a high level but he’s shown enough that I think it’s all there. But GL is not where he’s going to develop anymore. We need to see if he can rebound, defend, protect the paint at the NBA level.
He has everythign you could want in a modern center. Granted, he may not be elite in any one thing, but he is a jack of all trades. He's tall with a good build, good spring in his step, and a nice wingspan. In addition, with his height, and build, he's not a lumbering big. He's pretty quick and agile for a person his size, not at an elite level, but it's above average.

Beyond his body type, he has shown to have some shooting touch, decent passing ability, decent touch around the rim, good rebounder, and a good shotblocker. Sure, he needs work on the defensive end, but that comes with more reps. But it's not like he is incapable, he was the runner up for defensive MVP in college(Davion won it) for a reason.