NCAA March Madness (discussion and pick 'em)

I think Baylor beats Duke tomorrow. Baylor is big inside (as big as Duke easily) plus they play in the very tough Big 12 conf. They have a quick, tough back court and will be playing in their home state. I'd be amazed if it was not at minimum a pick 'em game as far as odds. I picked Baylor to get to Final Four, but what do I know after this basically anybody can beat anybody confusing tournament.

I like Tennessee a whole lot at this point but Coach Izzo seems to thrive at getting the most out of his team when he gets his Mich St. boys deeper and deeper into the dance. Still, I think the Vols should win.

Kentucky played horrible with terrible poise by jacking up all those deep shots and not pounding it inside as much. Calipari was likewise dumb struck by sticking to a laid back zone late into the game (when trailing double digits) when he should have at least thrown in half court traps on the mostly poor ball handlers for WVA or full court press at times. One thing I now for sure, Huggins is a better coach, seemingly a much better one.

Butler? What the heck can anyone say:confused:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I like Cal going back to his U-Mass days, but he's always been a better recruiter than a coach, and his ethics in that arena are rather questionable. Still I thought with Wall and Cousins and all the other upsets it was lined up nicely for them. Oh well.

With Kentucky and Kstate losing today, there goes my entire final four. Oh well .. fun while it lasted. Incredibly tournament though, and looking at the teams left, I could really see the Vols winning this thing.

With Kentucky and Kstate losing today, there goes my entire final four. Oh well .. fun while it lasted. Incredibly tournament though, and looking at the teams left, I could really see the Vols winning this thing.
According to ESPN today, only .004 percent or .4% of submitted NCAA tournament bracket/predictions got the final 4 teams correct. Believe it or not that's 200 individuals however. At least 200 people, that is, CORRECTLY predicted this Final Four. That is some pretty amazing forecasting considering this years surprises...

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Well, Duke in the final four isn't much of a stretch considering their bracket. MSU is pretty reasonable, too. I picked them to upset Kansas, but lose to Ohio St. (whoops.) Butler and WVU is where it gets pretty iffy, and the combo of both of them is pretty wacky.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
WVU was a two seed, no? So my guess is that all 200 are Butler students/alumni.
Or Butler alumni married to MSU alumni with kids going to WVU who happen to live in North Carolina....or some other similar combination, but I can't figure where Duke alumni marry WVU alumni living in East Lansing would send their kid to Indianapolis. :confused:

By the way, if Butler wins Monday, then jthompson1 wins the Yahoo scoring title in our league. But if Duke wins then... VF21's Mascot picks will win based on the default Yahoo scoring, mostly by virtue of being the only one that picked Duke to win it all.

That was a great game. One of the closest and most exciting championship games in recent memory. I didn't get a chance to see much of Butler during the year but I love their D, and Hayward rocks.

Another thing that really stood out to me was the impressive officiating. These guys were getting the calls right, and it's so much different than the way NBA officials call games.

That was a great game. One of the closest and most exciting championship games in recent memory. I didn't get a chance to see much of Butler during the year but I love their D, and Hayward rocks.

Another thing that really stood out to me was the impressive officiating. These guys were getting the calls right, and it's so much different than the way NBA officials call games.
I agree, really great game and excellent officiating. It's harder to officiate an NBA game as the situation is very different. The NBA game is faster in general. 35 second shot clock v. 24, certain rules are different, and other factors. Players don't complain at all in college as they would be immediately teed up and benched by their coach. Only the head coach is allowed to talk (not yell) to the refs. NCAA college basketball is a more congenial, colorful, even competitive game than NBA basketball that is full of spoiled, babied their whole life, multi-millionaires, that know there's always "next year" as far as winning a championship.

Most ordinary fans don't realize that NBA players allegiance is not to their team (or next team) per se but to the NBA as a whole and especially their contract via players union, their individual agent, endorsements, etc. The college kids (99% of them) will never play pro ball, so to them it's ALL about their team and their school as student-athletes. They mostly get one chance for one shining moment - and wow - how they make the most of it during incredible March Madness!

So congratulations to VF21 for winning the Yahoo! scoring title for our league. (And woo hoo for me winning the alternate scoring. :D)

Looking forward to everybody playing again next year.