[NBA] West Finals

Who ya got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
There were times last night watching James, I thought he should retire. Davis had an "off night." It is amazing that the Lakers hung around without much help from their stars. Reaves is the surprise of the series, along with Hachimura.

Jokic is more fun to watch than anyone since Magic and Bird. Murray saved the night with his off the hook fourth quarter. Denver has great role players and played some great defense some of the time. I am happy for Malone and his defensive minded coaching. It is amazing that Jokic still surprises so many people.
Jokic surprises many people because they don't watch him. Same as we did in the first round.

People around the league (ie, people in big markets) think the league needs top prop up the LeBron and Curry's more and ride them to their last drop instead of showcase all the new stars. Jokic has been here for at least the last 3 years now - and nobody would question his MVPs if they got to see him more.

And LeBron is fascinating. He can simultaneously have bursts of prime LeBron that make the Lakers look unstoppable, and then he can completely suck all the air out of the team in a 3-4 minute stretch. The officials have been paying him back for that non-call vs. Boston for half a year now too.

In my mind the NBA should stop pandering to the aging stars and let the new ones take over. No playing less games for load management without taking time off, no 3 nights off in the playoffs in the early rounds.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
So we lost to the Warriors; they get kicked by the Lakers. If they get taken care of by the Nuggets, then all the Western Conference teams I hate had just cannibalized one another.

I might be okay with this outcome.
The simple fact of the matter is that we probably would have beaten the Lakers if we had made it out of the Warriors series. As Jamal Murray is currently showing the world, the Lakers remain completely and totally helpless against guards who are capable of doing things with the ball in their hands (probably shouldn’t have gotten rid of Pat Bev)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The good news for the Lakers is they’re only down 3 despite Jamal Murray dropping 30 on them in the first half. The bad news for them is that Jokic had possibly his worst half of the season and they’re still down.

The simple fact of the matter is that we probably would have beaten the Lakers if we had made it out of the Warriors series. As Jamal Murray is currently showing the world, the Lakers remain completely and totally helpless against guards who are capable of doing things with the ball in their hands (probably shouldn’t have gotten rid of Pat Bev)
I have insinuated exactly that a few times. Sometimes I think maybe instead, our head coach might have too much respect for the ex-champions.

Listening to Huerter on the JJ Reddick podcast, he mentioned that his Hawks might have ascended too fast in the Playoffs and thus created unrealistic expectations that their relatively-unchanged roster can't fulfill.

I'll keep my opinion of that to myself but I guess objectively speaking, it can really affect you. Thinking back a few years when everyone was expecting the Hawks to be regularly not just making the playoffs but challenging for rings, and deemed a first-round exit a failure.

Both series are so uniquely putting all 4 head coaches' adjustment-making, crisis managing, and manpower managing/putting-the-right-men-in-the-right-places abilities to test.

Russell with a terrible shooting game - they missed their chance game 2 - game 3 was a fall-off from game 2 actually. Bring on the Heat vs Nuggets....go Heat....

Lakers did well doing what the Kings failed to do, beat the Warriors......Lakers still have depth problems. They had a successful season beating both Grizzlies and Warriors in the playoffs - really an overachievement. Hachimura will take over for James, but he's not a great playmaker. Still they'll have enough talent to be make the playoffs again....James may come back - he has 2 years on his contract - but his playing time will be cut back to avoid injuries.

Replace DLo with Ky, I think the Lakers easily could've been at least 2-2 right now.
Impossible. Only 3 games have been played.

IDK who "Ky" is, but unless it's Steph Curry or some other super star-ish player, I think the series would look exactly how it does now.

Denver is a far superior team.

The LAL are WAY overhyped. They got extremely lucky with their 1st round matchup facing a Gizzlies team decimated by injuries to their key players and the drama surrounding Ja Morant.

They further got lucky getting an overly fatigued and aging Warriors team pushed to the brink by our KINGS in the 2nd round.

Denver is doing lots of things to LAL, but among them is exposing their weakness in transition, something the KINGS would have done far more of had they been able to face them.

Lastly, despite the officials best efforts to allow the LAL to live at the FT line, they still haven't been able to win a game in this series.

Hopefully the basketball gods have the sweep in store for game 4.

That Lakers second half from Game 1 is sure taking a long time to dictate the rest of this series
I know how Denver and Jokić like to play, but if LA is going to continue to put Hachimura on him -- he's gotta go into "selfish" mode more often and look to score by overpowering him in the paint.

If he'd done that, these games wouldn’t have been near as close.

But, yeah, you're spot on about how ridiculous it was when the media positioned GM1 as if the LAL discovered some unique tactic that was gonna keep working.

Last edited:
Impossible. Only 3 games have been played.

IDK who "Ky" is, but unless it's Steph Curry or some other super star-ish player, I think the series would look exactly how it does now.

Denver is a far superior team.

The LAL are WAY overhyped. They got extremely lucky with their 1st round matchup facing a Gizzlies team decimated by injuries to their key players and the drama surrounding Ja Morant.

They further got lucky getting an overly fatigued and aging Warriors team pushed to the brink by our KINGS in the 2nd round.

Denver is doing lots of things to LAL, but among them is exposing their weakness in transition, something the KINGS would have done far more of had they been able to face them.

Lastly, despite the officials best efforts to allow the LAL to live at the FT line, they still haven't been able to win a game in this series.

Hopefully the basketball gods have the sweep in store for game 4.
68% chance of a sweep; 92% chance of a dispatch in 5 if Lakers stave them off 1 game.

2nd half ref mode activated for the Lakers.
They certainly tried, all game long.

At one point the free throw disparity was close to 3-to-1 in favor of LAL. But the numbers looked better by game's end because of the late-game fouls with DEN in control.

W/O the officiating help, the NUGZ win tonight's game by 15+.

The review that was upheld when Jokić never touched AD was about as textbook of an example as you can present.