How many first round upsets?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
"Brad Stevens is the best coach in the NBA!"

The Celtics only beat the Pacers by ten points despite the Pacers missing their stud star player and the fact that the Pacers just could not stop missing shots.

Holy heck Drummond looked horrific today. Lots of Detroit fans want him gone.

Anyone else surprised to find out that he's only 25 yearsold??

Last edited by a moderator:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Holy heck Drummond looked horrific today. Lots of Detroit fans want him gone.

Anyone else surprised to find out that he's only 25 yearsold??
Drummond is a one of those 90s centers that hasn't adjusted his game or body to handle playing in this era. Still young and still room for him to change his ways, but I don't know if he will.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
:: sighs ::

Evans had a halfway decent series, but his team got swept, Cousins gets injured in his second-ever playoff game... I was super-excited for the playoffs a week ago, and all that excitement has turned to ashes, in no time at all.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I didn't expect Indiana to get swept, I had them at least winning one game despite not having Dipo. They competed in all four games, if they had Dipo this would of been a fun series.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And another one bites the dust? Blake's body language as they went to break sure didn't look good. A nice dunk leads to a repeat injury? I've never liked him, but I don't want to see anyone leave the playoffs because of injury.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Credit to Blake Griffin for playing his heart out and leaving it all out there on the court. I don't think I've ever seen him play with that kind of passion.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the Magic are pitiful. They and the Pistons have no business being in the Playoffs, something must be done in the future to avoid these lame first round matchups. Go back to a 5 game series for round one Silver!

round two however, now my mouth is all of a sudden salivating

that would be ideal but the majority of the owners aren't going to go for that so the best bet right now is to go back to 5 games in round one
What does that achieve, other than maybe shortening the "lame" series? So you get to the exciting bits quicker? Still doesn't avoid it by any means...

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What does that achieve, other than maybe shortening the "lame" series? So you get to the exciting bits quicker? Still doesn't avoid it by any means...
what it does is put more meaning in a shorter series and the series ending sooner rather than dragging out for an extra game. That's the best proposition for the time being because changing the format to the best 16 teams record wise just isn't realistic.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
that would be ideal but the majority of the owners aren't going to go for that so the best bet right now is to go back to 5 games in round one
Doesn't solve the problem, though.

Oops. I just saw that mac made essentially the same point.

Get rid of the conference system and just seed the top 16 records in the league.
I love this idea and think it may come to fruition sooner rather than later. Today's fans don't care about conferences. They care about seeing the best play the best.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
what it does is put more meaning in a shorter series and the series ending sooner rather than dragging out for an extra game.

That's the best proposition for the time being because changing the format to the best 16 teams record wise just isn't realistic.
I think you may be assuming facts not in evidence. Owners who have better teams who miss the playoffs because of the conference seeding may be entirely in favor of changing the format.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Doesn't solve the problem, though.

Oops. I just saw that mac made essentially the same point.

I love this idea and think it may come to fruition sooner rather than later. Today's fans don't care about conferences. They care about seeing the best play the best.
The eastern conference and western conference concept made sense when traveling long distances was still logistically hard to do but in this day and age when intercostal travel has become routine and something that some people do almost daily it just doesn't seem right to keep some teams out of the postseason based solely on the fact that they're east or west of some arbitrary line somewhere around the Great Lakes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The eastern conference and western conference concept made sense when traveling long distances was still logistically hard to do but in this day and age when intercostal travel has become routine and something that some people do almost daily it just doesn't seem right to keep some teams out of the postseason based solely on the fact that they're east or west of some arbitrary line somewhere around the Great Lakes.
Memphis and New Orleans make that arbitrary line irrelevant.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think you may be assuming facts not in evidence. Owners who have better teams who miss the playoffs because of the conference seeding may be entirely in favor of changing the format.
I wonder how the owners of the Eastern Conference feel when you would have 9 or 10 teams from the West making the Playoffs

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wonder how the owners of the Eastern Conference feel when you would have 9 or 10 teams from the West making the Playoffs
They'd get better draft picks and the pendulum would swing back?

I don't know if there is an easy answer but if you eliminate the East/West then everybody is judged solely on their record against the rest of the league. It just seems a logical conclusion that would mean more competition for the higher level and a better game all around.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
When it comes down to it, should the league really be concerned with the opinions of teams perfectly happy with merely being in the playoffs every season while hovering around the.500 mark for the sole purpose of being blown up by one of the three or four actually good teams in the East?

I mean, the Hornets have pretty much been built around this philosophy since their inception as the Bobcats and it's infuriating to me seeing a squad like that with absolutely no forward momentum playing in late April (though this year they mercifully weren't) when young teams like last years Nuggets or even this year's Kings are on the outside looking in when they could use the experience as a building block for the future.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
They'd get better draft picks and the pendulum would swing back?

I don't know if there is an easy answer but if you eliminate the East/West then everybody is judged solely on their record against the rest of the league. It just seems a logical conclusion that would mean more competition for the higher level and a better game all around.
I'm not arguing against it. I think it would make the NBA much better. I'm simply trying to look how this benefits the owners and why they would ever sign off on something like this which would change the sport in ways we've never imagined.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
When it comes down to it, should the league really be concerned with the opinions of teams perfectly happy with merely being in the playoffs every season while hovering around the.500 mark for the sole purpose of being blown up by one of the three or four actually good teams in the East?

I mean, the Hornets have pretty much been built around this philosophy since their inception as the Bobcats and it's infuriating to me seeing a squad like that with absolutely no forward momentum playing in late April (though this year they mercifully weren't) when young teams like last years Nuggets or even this year's Kings are on the outside looking in when they could use the experience as a building block for the future.
the league is looking to make as much profit as possible. Trying ideas that are out of the box like this would go in doing just that, increasing revenue. The obstacle here is getting majority vote and teams like the Hornets, Suns, Bulls, Knicks, Magic, Pistons, Cavaliers, etc. wouldn't make the Playoffs in a decade or longer if they were to change the format and for a team that has been out of the Postseason as long as the Magic or Pistons, even though they are one and done, still sell tickets and merchandise because they made a Postseason appearance and got some national TV exposure to sell those fans for hope for the following season.

Status
Not open for further replies.