[NBA] East Playoffs, Round Two

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was filled with all kinds of conflict over Philadelphia's elimination: on one hand, I actually like Doc Rivers, and don't actively root for him to fail, even though I sort of paradoxically find his failures endlessly amusing. And I also really like Joel Embiid; come to think of it, I think I like all the players on the 76ers, except for one... but I really, really, really don't like that "one."

On the other hand, I abhor how the 76ers have been run as an organization, ever since the Hinkie days, and I don't want to see that nonsense be rewarded. Also, I hate Philadelphia sports fans across the board, as a staff, record label and crew, and I don't want them to experience anything other than misery, at any point in time, so I enjoy seeing them go out sad.
I don't think we've ever been in 100% total agreement but here we are... cheers.

re: Doc, he coached the Celtics Big 3 and then wanted nothing to do with the team once Ainge began the rebuild. So I am appreciative and yet confounded as to how a single championship with a super team during a transition period (almost 15 years ago) has carved his name into the top tier of coaches of the past decade. Seems like a good guy that I'm not inclined to root against, but since leaving the Celtics he's coached two teams I'm not inclined to cheer for either (unless the Clips were playing the Lakers then sure).

re: Philly the nicest thing I can say is that I enjoyed watching 80s events from the Spectrum - whether it was WWF or hockey with their unique ice rink I always knew when an event was coming from the Spectrum and their Spectrum throwback uniforms are some of the better throwback/city kits the NBA has run recently. Otherwise, when a player I dislike is a malcontent I say ship them to Philly. So ummm, about "that 'one'", I can only hope that nobody wants to pay him and he is forced to exercise his player option.

I could not be more pleased that Philly flamed out in the second round once again. :cool:

Daryl Morey patiently waited on trading Ben Simmons until he could receive the all-star caliber talent he desperately desired. But in this case, Morey held out in order to reunite with a player who's consistently out-of-shape, who's officially past-his-prime, who incessantly pouts and underperforms when he's not the absolute fulcrum of an offense, and who no-shows with great regularity in big playoff moments (the very criticism levied at the guy Morey traded for Harden in the first place -- you just can't make this stuff up).

A Joel Embiid/James Harden pairing was never going to work long-term because Harden was never going to rise to the occasion of being a reliable #2. Now Morey is in the unenviable position of having to decide if he wants to pony up the max to re-sign an unmotivated and likely-washed superstar. I'm just lapping up the schadenfreude with a spoon. I can't help it, though I feel just the slightest bit bad for Embiid, who does deserve a shot at legitimate contention.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
With all due respect to everyone else in the running, Giannis has got to be the greatest European player of all time at this point, right?

I'm not aware of any other Europeans we would consider for this honor besides Dirk. Peja and Vlade. So yes.

Please keep any other suggestions to yourself.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Who needs Khris Middleton in game 7 when you have 34-year-old Brook Lopez coming off of potentially career-ending back surgery?

Almost every player on both teams has looked like a well-oiled cog in a contending rotation, even missing Middleton and R. Williams.

But jeez Grayson Allen has looked like a sore thumb out there this entire series.

That was just sad.

If the Bucks don't actually prioritize 3 point defense in this day and age, then they're not gonna ever win another one. Hopefully the Heat can at least be somewhat competent at that cuz I don't want to see the Celtics anywhere near the Larry O'Brian trophy.

That was just sad.

If the Bucks don't actually prioritize 3 point defense in this day and age, then they're not gonna ever win another one. Hopefully the Heat can at least be somewhat competent at that cuz I don't want to see the Celtics anywhere near the Larry O'Brian trophy.
Haha, it's very possible that the Warriors and C's are the ones left standing. That would honestly be an interesting series and the C's might just be their undoing. Modern ball Warriors Vs. next level modern with a focus on defensive role play Celtics.

Status
Not open for further replies.