NBA Draft Lottery

What pick will we end up with?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have Mathurin 1st and Murray 2nd on my board and that's not even about fit. I think they're both better prospects than either Ivey or Banchero.
From what I've seen lately Mathurin is falling. Murray I can see but he lacks the athletic upside of Ivey or Banchero. I'd honestly probably gamble on Ivey over maybe even Banchero at this point. He has the tools to be an elite 2 way guard and actually fit well next to Fox.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
You don’t think they would have to give up too much to move into the top 3? Are any of the big 3 worth a jump up?
I think Jabari is although I am not sure if Orlando or Thunder are going to be enticed by a package of #4, Holmes and next year's top 4 protected FRP and I think that's the logical deal?

Assuming Ivey, Banchero and Sharpe are the consensus 3 BPA when we pick I think doing this deal in reverse to land Murray is the way (next year's protected first to us).

The Pacers fell a slot in the draft and lost the pick they were supposed to get from Cleveland this year thanks to them missing the playoffs. Did we trade them the traditional Kangz luck when we made the Domas deal?
Suck it tyrese….he and the pacers are now cursed from the basketball gods. Didn’t we also end the curse of the Indian burial grounds when arco was demolished this year?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Suck it tyrese….he and the pacers are now cursed from the basketball gods. Didn’t we also end the curse of the Indian burial grounds when arco was demolished this year?
Unfortunately we built G1C where the old Buddhist temple for Japantown used to be before it got demolished to build capital mall so we picked up a whole different set of bad curses when we moved.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
From what I've seen lately Mathurin is falling. Murray I can see but he lacks the athletic upside of Ivey or Banchero. I'd honestly probably gamble on Ivey over maybe even Banchero at this point. He has the tools to be an elite 2 way guard and actually fit well next to Fox.
Upside and "mock draft position" are the worst possible ways to look at draft prospects. Nobody had Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Steph Curry, Giannis Antetokuonmpo, Nikola Jokic, Donovan Mitchell, Bam Adebayo, or Devin Booker in the top 5. Draymond Green was taken in the second round and he probably goes 1st overall in a redraft. The only way to find these hidden gems is to watch everybody and really look at what they can do not what you hope they will be able to do some day.

Upside and "mock draft position" are the worst possible ways to look at draft prospects. Nobody had Klay Thompson, Kawhi Leonard, Steph Curry, Giannis Antetokuonmpo, Nikola Jokic, Donovan Mitchell, Bam Adebayo, or Devin Booker in the top 5. Draymond Green was taken in the second round and he probably goes 1st overall in a redraft. The only way to find these hidden gems is to watch everybody and really look at what they can do not what you hope they will be able to do some day.
You can't look at it that way. Dissecting drafts after the fact has so many variables and 1 side of the argument only picks the success stories. If a LeBron is there, you know it, there isn't one in this draft so fit and league trends matter. Guards that have that extra gear and big playmaking F's are having quite a decent run in the NBA lately. They could bust, but the upside indicates top shelf level. Banchero is a question in some ways but in the tournament he showed a little bit beyond being a bully ball guy. I think Julius Randle with a better attitude is a solid get.

hrdboild

Staff member
You can't look at it that way. Dissecting drafts after the fact has so many variables and 1 side of the argument only picks the success stories. If a LeBron is there, you know it, there isn't one in this draft so fit and league trends matter. Guards that have that extra gear and big playmaking F's are having quite a decent run in the NBA lately. They could bust, but the upside indicates top shelf level. Banchero is a question in some ways but in the tournament he showed a little bit beyond being a bully ball guy. I think Julius Randle with a better attitude is a solid get.
I just think you're missing out if you're setting your sights on Banchero, Ivey, or Sharpe and ignoring the rest of this year's prospects. Athleticism and scoring ability aren't the end-all-be-all of NBA basketball. The best defenders in this draft are not among those three players, that's for sure. I really like Ivey, I can see a case for him going as high as 1st overall and I won't be mad if he's the pick but I think there are better NBA players available here when we look back in 10 years. That's just my own opinion based on watching tape of all of the players projected in the 1-20 range.

I just think you're missing out if you're setting your sights on Banchero, Ivey, or Sharpe and ignoring the rest of this year's prospects. Athleticism and scoring ability aren't the end-all-be-all of NBA basketball. The best defenders in this draft are not among those three players, that's for sure. I really like Ivey, I can see a case for him going as high as 1st overall and I won't be mad if he's the pick but I think there are better NBA players available here when we look back in 10 years. That's just my own opinion based on watching tape of all of the players projected in the 1-20 range.
No I'm not, that right now is shaping up to be the consensus there. I've said many times before, even at 10 the Kings get something that works. To me, they are now playing with house money, might as well go for the upside and the good thing is NONE of these guys are raw or unproven to some extent. And there's always better players down low but that can be for a variety of reasons none of which include upside or potential.

I’m pretty sure I’d go Murray at #4 assuming Holmgren and Smith are gone. He just seems like a great fit next to Sabonis on paper and has that sneaky good/impactful potential like Haliburton did coming out of the draft.
If Monte stays consistent with his FRP profile, he likes seeing that college spike in production. Murray fits that bill to a T and can't deny how dominant he was this past season. 4 of his 5 picks (Hali, Woodard, Davion, Queta) were all multi-year guys that showed growth at the college level.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I’m pretty sure I’d go Murray at #4 assuming Holmgren and Smith are gone. He just seems like a great fit next to Sabonis on paper and has that sneaky good/impactful potential like Haliburton did coming out of the draft.
Only questions for me is can you bait Detroit or Indy into giving up a future FRP to get their choice of Ivey or Sharpe and/or if Monte has found some other hidden gem.

Murray is definitely top 6 and the need based on all current info. And we roll into 2022 with 5 actual starters and a small amount of trade capital with Holmes and expirings.

hrdboild

Staff member
If Monte stays consistent with his FRP profile, he likes seeing that college spike in production. Murray fits that bill to a T and can't deny how dominant he was this past season. 4 of his 5 picks (Hali, Woodard, Davion, Queta) were all multi-year guys that showed growth at the college level.
Based on the past 2 drafts, I'd put my money on the Kings taking Keegan Murray (assuming he's even there at 4th overall). He seems like a perfect match for what Monte McNair has targeted before in the draft and in his trade deadline deals. He blows every other prospect out of the water in his statistical value, he's already a good shooter at the college level and he was a one-man scoring machine in the post this season. He's ready to step in and contribute from day one and although he's one of the older prospects in the draft, he kept getting better throughout the season so you can project some continued growth as well. Just like Davion Mitchell was last year, I think he's the safest pick in the draft.

Also, here's where Monte (potentially) not having job security can come into play. Can he afford to draft Sharpe, who might take a couple years to fully develop? I'm pretty confident Murray is going to a strong candidate for the ROY, regardless of what team he ends up on. Sharpe more than likely will need time to adjust to the higher level comp and you have to figure out Ivey getting time with Fox/Mitchell and the DDV RFA looming. Murray fills a starter slot right away and can play with all of the established core. And he very well might just be BPA anyway, so filling that positiona value and drafting the archetype makes a ton of sense.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, here's where Monte (potentially) not having job security can come into play. Can he afford to draft Sharpe, who might take a couple years to fully develop? I'm pretty confident Murray is going to a strong candidate for the ROY, regardless of what team he ends up on. Sharpe more than likely will need time to adjust to the higher level comp and you have to figure out Ivey getting time with Fox/Mitchell and the DDV RFA looming. Murray fills a starter slot right away and can play with all of the established core. And he very well might just be BPA anyway, so filling that positiona value and drafting the archetype makes a ton of sense.
Agreed. I don't see Sharpe as a logical target if McNair really has a win now objective. Whether he's as talented as billed or not, he's essentially coming from HS level competition to the NBA. Outside of LeBron level talents, that's a multi-year adjustment period.

I'm a bit wary of Murray - he puts up massive numbers but doesn't pop when I watch him - but he's a much more likely McNair pick than Sharpe.