NBA draft 2019: Kings to bring in first six prospects for workout

Oh AWESOME. I'm really glad Utah is working out Brandon Randolph. That kid might not be ready, but there is some underlying talent there...

He clearly drew the short end of a stick at Zona, on a team who's heirarchy appears to have been paying players $$$ and things like that.

He's always been rail-thin. Wonder what he weighs in at these days... damn I got on the scale yesterday and was reeally light, 10lbs less than expected.

Last edited:
Cool. I've been super busy on this project still not 100% sure on who's in or out...

Norvell is in? good! I'll take him on the team any day

Norvell would be yet another young lefty on the Kings..

It's funny he's listed at 6'5½ ... Is he really that tall?!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Kyle Guy is the best player in this group. Just my humble opinion... He can light it up from beyond the arc. He performed well at the combine in the five on five's, and in the testing part of the combine. His only problem is that he's not a true PG at 6'2". Still, I would love to have him on the Kings with one of our 2nd rd picks.

I thought the last bunch was the most talented group overall that they've brought through as far as being draftable. I think Jordan Bone, Terence Davis, Brian Bowen, Kris Wilkes, and Zylan Cheatham all have a decent shot at being drafted. I like Cheatham quite a bit. If he can develop a consistent 3 pt shot, he'll be a player in the NBA. He's a terrific ball handler for a big and he can score with either hand around the basket. Terence Davis has been impressing in his workouts around the league. He's a lock down defender who can shoot the three. Bowen is a five star athlete who got caught up in the college recruiting scandal and as a result didn't play last year. Bone is a lightning fast PG with pretty good court vision who blew everyone away in the skills part of the combine.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...I thought the last bunch was the most talented group overall that they've brought through as far as being draftable. I think Jordan Bone, Terence Davis, Brian Bowen, Kris Wilkes, and Zylan Cheatham all have a decent shot at being drafted. I like Cheatham quite a bit. If he can develop a consistent 3 pt shot, he'll be a player in the NBA. He's a terrific ball handler for a big and he can score with either hand around the basket. Terence Davis has been impressing in his workouts around the league. He's a lock down defender who can shoot the three. Bowen is a five star athlete who got caught up in the college recruiting scandal and as a result didn't play last year. Bone is a lightning fast PG with pretty good court vision who blew everyone away in the skills part of the combine.
That sounds interesting, once I get past the "Dewey, Cheatham and Howe" punch line from the Johnny Carson Show. :p

Side note: I googled DC&H and found there's now an actual law firm in Dallas, Texas with that name.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
John Konchar is an interesting prospect. I actually saw him play once. Fort Wayne isn't on TV very often, and it's not one of those schools that I wait in anticipation to see. But if they happen to be playing a school I do want to see play, then wa la. Anyway, what makes him interesting other than the fact his 3 pt percentage for four years at Fort Wayne is 41.6% and his overall percentage is 55.6%, which is unheard of for a jumpshooter, is the fact that he's turned himself into a fairly effective 6'5" PG.

While he's not the greatest athlete in the world, he's not a poor athlete either, and he has enough shake and bake to his game to get his shot off when he wants. At least at his current level. Of course therein lies his problem. The Fort Wayne's of the world don't play the Kentucky's of the world. However he did have a game against UCLA and he went off for 25 pt's, 8 boards and 6 assists, so take that for what it's worth. He has a nose for the ball averaging 8.5 rebounds and 2 steals a game. He also appears to have a good feel for the game and high BBIQ.

Not saying we should draft him, but hey, I'm not saying we shouldn't either. Maybe think about giving him a two way contract. He is 23 years old, and he did play in a lower tier conference, but a lot of very good PG's have come from lower tier conferences. Here's a video:

Here's a little interview with Konchar by DraftExpress:

I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW THE JORDAN BONE WORKOUT WENT

the Kings with Yogi and Frank MAson, that is a strong sign they really value Speed at the PG position. Obviously Fox is the fastest in the league but that was more of a matter of considerable luck, being in that position, with foolish teams ahead.

Jordan Bone is a MONSTER ATHLETE..

Jordan Bone finished 1st in the Standing Vertical, Shuttle Cones and LAne Agility at the combine and posted a 3/4 court sprint faster than D Rose or Zestbrook.

He's 6'1½" in socks... so they'll list him at 6'3".. 6'3¼" wingspan

One measurement that was a lil surprising to me was 7'11" standing reach... thats kinda pedestrian sized i guess u could say, Bone is a bit taller than me but my standing reach is actually a lil higher.

He turns 22 in November. He shot 83.5% from the stripe and 35.5% from 3.. near a 3:1 ast:to ratio...

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Guy would be an interesting guy at 40 or 47. He could theoretically play with Bogdan with the second unit and is a good decision maker, good handle, good shooter. Well coached, question is can he guard anybody?
Well your on the same page with me in regards to the 2nd unit. Guy plays off the ball extremely well, and although he's not a pure PG, if he's on the floor with Bogdanovic, he doesn't have to be, and he is quite capable of bringing the ball up the court, he's just not the play maker you'd normally want at that position. Defensively he was fine at Virginia. The general rule at Virginia is that if you don't defend, you don't play.

They had him listed at 6'1" at Virginia but he measured out at 6'2.25" at the combine, so that was a bit of a surprise. He did well in the agility drills and the max vertical. Is he ideal? No, but then were talking about a 2nd rd pick who can really shoot the ball. If he can improve his passing skills and tighten up his ball handling a bit more, he might actually turn into a legit PG.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jordan Bone finished 1st in the Standing Vertical, Shuttle Cones and LAne Agility at the combine and posted a 3/4 court sprint faster than D Rose or Zestbrook.

He's 6'1½" in socks... so they'll list him at 6'3".. 6'3¼" wingspan

One measurement that was a lil surprising to me was 7'11" standing reach... thats kinda pedestrian sized i guess u could say, Bone is a bit taller than me but my standing reach is actually a lil higher.

He turns 22 in November. He shot 83.5% from the stripe and 35.5% from 3.. near a 3:1 ast:to ratio...
Bone is another interesting prospect. He would certainly be a player that would continue to push the ball. He might actually give Fox a run for his money in a foot race. I'd still put my money on Fox. He would be a developmental player to my mind, and would need a bit of time in the G-League. Bone shot a not great, but respectable 35.5% from the three for the season, but he shot around 40% the last third of the season. He's also a very good free throw shooter, which bodes well for his 3 pt shot.

I'd rather draft a player with a bit more polish, but at the same time, I can see quite a bit of long term upside with Bone. Meaning, I don't think he would be the short term answer to our backup PG situation, but could be the long term answer. If the Kings are serious about making the playoff's next season, then you don't want any experiments coming off the bench. So it becomes a matter of whether the Kings are willing to use a roster spot on a developmental player. Bone might be the perfect player for a two way contract.

One final thought. Bone might be one of those players that plays better in the NBA than he did in college. The way the floor is spread, and the speed of the game fits his strengths. One never knows for sure.....

Guy would be an interesting guy at 40 or 47. He could theoretically play with Bogdan with the second unit and is a good decision maker, good handle, good shooter. Well coached, question is can he guard anybody?
I believe Kyle Guy is a scrappy defender and he's more athletic than people realize. I just believe in his overall awareness too, and grittiness.

I would be thrilled to have Guy at this point, he could be a kind of Jeff Hornacek type entity off the bench.. I was actually saying Guy was a 2nd rd possibility before the tournament even started, and obviously he showed well and they won the championship and his 2nd rd possibilities seemed more real since.

At this point in the offseason too I wanna say a lil too much is being made of his leight-weight. He can add more in no time.

If U really watched a UVA game this year closely, Kyle Guy is telling the team what to do the whole game, he constantly communicates.. He is more than well coached... I had UVA winning the tournament and won (only 50people) my bracket this year, and actually I refused to submit a bracket last year, first time ever, cuz of the De'Andre Hunter injury... His story just keeps getting better and better, i'd liek to see it combine forces with what we have here, he can space the floor.. the step-back J move is real, he jumps high. I think there's minor traces of players like rip hamilton and jerryd bayless in his game..

He also moves well intuitively off-the-ball... It's how he really got open in the corner for those HUGE 3-FT's vs Auburn, no one really wanted to say that but if u watch on the play, Guy beats the defender(Doughty) off the ball AT THE VERY TOP OF THE ACTion, and the defender is never able to recover that step gained, thats in part why Doughty comes flying in a the end recklessly.

PPL also forget with him i think, maybe cuz he didnt go to some other school, but he was a McDonald's All-American, Mr Basketball in the state of Indiana.. One of the reasons I've been early on the Guy hype-train is the simple question, Just how risky is he (for the Kings, lets say with the 2nd 2nd rd pick)??? and Immediately I think "I like Kyle Guy better than Yogi or Frank... Sign him up 4 years!!

Last edited:
Bone is another interesting prospect. He would certainly be a player that would continue to push the ball. He might actually give Fox a run for his money in a foot race. I'd still put my money on Fox. He would be a developmental player to my mind, and would need a bit of time in the G-League. Bone shot a not great, but respectable 35.5% from the three for the season, but he shot around 40% the last third of the season. He's also a very good free throw shooter, which bodes well for his 3 pt shot.

I'd rather draft a player with a bit more polish, but at the same time, I can see quite a bit of long term upside with Bone. Meaning, I don't think he would be the short term answer to our backup PG situation, but could be the long term answer. If the Kings are serious about making the playoff's next season, then you don't want any experiments coming off the bench. So it becomes a matter of whether the Kings are willing to use a roster spot on a developmental player. Bone might be the perfect player for a two way contract.

One final thought. Bone might be one of those players that plays better in the NBA than he did in college. The way the floor is spread, and the speed of the game fits his strengths. One never knows for sure.....
Yeah Bone might be a guy just slightly out of range too, and i cant tell whcih end...

The SEC is pretty good these days and this year comparatively, a player like Bone rising a bit out of obscurity having a big close to the year, might have more legs to it than years past.. He's certainly generated some momentum, to even get an NBA combine invite for a playe rlike him is a win, then to crush it... It begs the question: How's he shoot from 3 in private workouts???

but yeah you're spot on.

He is most definitely for me not on the list of guys i'd hand-pick, given how i think the board will likely fall.. But he's also on the list of players who if the Kings do pick, I'm gonna get excited about it, cuz even the test runs should be fun.

I'd prefer Jaylen Hands over Bone, I'll tell ya that. That is kinda how I'm looking at it.

Oh Juwan Morgan is interesting, glad we're getting him in for a workout.

You never quite know what tweaks these guys make to their games, true work on the game / skills happens in the offseason, sometimes tweaks in shooting mechacincs can have a lasting impact.

There's really a wide spectrum of things that can happen. Sometimes the reports are from agents and their complete bs, sometimes, like in the case of Norman Powell and Jordan Clarkson, there's legs to the improved shooting rumors... Powell specifically usedto have this god-awful hitch in his shot so his improvement was obvious.. Sometimes you have guys who can shoot like lets say John Collins, but they were tethered to the rim for their college team, or even buried on the bench in the case of Trey Lyles.

Juwan Morgan is one of those super-low risk, 'maybe we take a flier? maybe we rush to sign him right after the draft if he goes undrafted? do we want him on the summer league team?

Ultimately in the workout you hope he shoots well, and looks promising shooting it. HE's got an NBA Frame for certain. 22 year old. legit 6'8" tho, broadshoulders long arms big hands. He's pretty athletic too. Very good defensively. He's a definite pro in some form.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer

I haven't seen him play (or at least, I didn't notice him), but I like the idea of him. Like you say, his athletic ability should fit with the NBA game. Also, I like the idea of having a super speedster backing up Fox. Send him to the G for a year if he needs polish.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here are the players coming in for a workout on tuesday:

Marcquise Reed (G – 6’3” Clemson)
Shaq Buchanan (G – 6’3” Murray State)
Bryce Brown (G – 6’3” Auburn)
Frank Howard (G – 6’5” Syracuse)
Juwan Morgan (F – 6’8.5” Indiana)
Aric Holman (F – 6’10” Mississippi State)

Oh Juwan Morgan is interesting, glad we're getting him in for a workout.

You never quite know what tweaks these guys make to their games, true work on the game / skills happens in the offseason, sometimes tweaks in shooting mechacincs can have a lasting impact.

There's really a wide spectrum of things that can happen. Sometimes the reports are from agents and their complete bs, sometimes, like in the case of Norman Powell and Jordan Clarkson, there's legs to the improved shooting rumors... Powell specifically usedto have this god-awful hitch in his shot so his improvement was obvious.. Sometimes you have guys who can shoot like lets say John Collins, but they were tethered to the rim for their college team, or even buried on the bench in the case of Trey Lyles.

Juwan Morgan is one of those super-low risk, 'maybe we take a flier? maybe we rush to sign him right after the draft if he goes undrafted? do we want him on the summer league team?

Ultimately in the workout you hope he shoots well, and looks promising shooting it. HE's got an NBA Frame for certain. 22 year old. legit 6'8" tho, broadshoulders long arms big hands. He's pretty athletic too. Very good defensively. He's a definite pro in some form.
The whole key to Morgan is his shot. He was a very inconsistent 3 pt shooter at Indiana. Other than that, there's a lot to like about him. Of all the players in this group, I probably lean toward to Aric Holman the most. He's turned himself into a pretty good version of a stretch four. Not a bad defender, and he runs the floor well. His rebounding needs to improve, but he is a better defensive rebounder than offensive, and the Kings could use that. They gave up way too many second chance points last season.

Buchanan needed to stay in school another year. He had a chance to be the heir apparent at Murray St. with Ja Morant's departure. I like Bryce Brown from Auburn as well. Good 3 pt shooter who took a lot of them. I won't comment on Howard or anyone from Syracuse. Oh what the hell, Howard took a ton of three's, and he missed a ton of three's...

Here are the players coming in for a workout on tuesday:

Marcquise Reed (G – 6’3” Clemson)
Shaq Buchanan (G – 6’3” Murray State)
Bryce Brown (G – 6’3” Auburn)
Frank Howard (G – 6’5” Syracuse)
Juwan Morgan (F – 6’8.5” Indiana)
Aric Holman (F – 6’10” Mississippi State)

The whole key to Morgan is his shot. He was a very inconsistent 3 pt shooter at Indiana. Other than that, there's a lot to like about him. Of all the players in this group, I probably lean toward to Aric Holman the most. He's turned himself into a pretty good version of a stretch four. Not a bad defender, and he runs the floor well. His rebounding needs to improve, but he is a better defensive rebounder than offensive, and the Kings could use that. They gave up way too many second chance points last season.

Buchanan needed to stay in school another year. He had a chance to be the heir apparent at Murray St. with Ja Morant's departure. I like Bryce Brown from Auburn as well. Good 3 pt shooter who took a lot of them. I won't comment on Howard or anyone from Syracuse. Oh what the hell, Howard took a ton of three's, and he missed a ton of three's...
Cool group we have here!

I have seen Marquise Reed light up plenty. He'd be fun.

Holman of this group could contribute the most right away, he'd be able to block shots and run around and do his thing and hopefully space the floor, not a bad gamble given the Kings draft range.

My favorite player in this workout, as it pertains to the Kings team is noneother than Frank Howard though. He is 6'5" and super athletic, great defensive potential an dhe's really shown nice improvement last 2 seasons. He's a PG and has like a 6'8" wingspan too... He's one of those "what if he keeps getting better the next few years" guys, a project for sure.

Syracuses offense has been awful, he's got no chance to put up a decent shooting % with the weapons they had there

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I admit to having extreme bias against Syracuse players. To my mind, Howard is all potential along with smoke and mirrors. Syracuse is famous for having tall PG's, even if their not really PG's. Tall PG's fit their zone defense better than short one's, so if they can't recruit a tall PG, the create one. Michael Carter-Williams anyone? That's my polite way of saying I don't trust any PG that comes out of Syracuse. At least until one proves me wrong.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
OK, and the beat goes on. Here's the next group that's coming through:

Josh Reaves (G – 6’5” 204 lbs.) Penn State
Cody Martin (G – 6’6” 192 lbs.) Nevada
Skyler Flatten (G – 6’6” 210 lbs.) South Dakota State
Tyus Battle (G – 6’7” 204 lbs.) Syracuse
Isaiah Pineiro (F – 6’6” 221 lbs.) San Diego
Cam Jackson (F – 6’9” 256 lbs.) Wofford

The most interesting player in this group to me is Cody Martin, one of the Martin twins from UNR. Martin surprised me at the combine when he proved to more athletic than I thought, posting a 35.5" vertical and a very good time in the lane agility drill. What makes him unique is that he's capable of playing PG at just under 6'6". He averaged just a tick under 5 assists a game. He also shot the three respectably just a tad under 36%. I think with better shot selection from the three his percentage would go up.

Another player in this group that I like is Skyler Flatten, who should have, and probably would have gotten more shots if he hadn't been playing with the Dauminator, Mike Daum. Whose name I haven't heard mentioned much. Which surprises me. I realize Daum isn't the greatest athlete in the world, but 6'10" PF that averaged 25 ppg while shooting 40% from the three should at least get a look see. But I digress! Flatten can flat out (a little play on words) shoot the ball. He shot over 40% from the three for his career, and one year shot 50% from the three. He played SF at 6'6", but I think he can play some SG.

I know some love Battle, but I'm not that big a fan. And yeah, the fact that he's from Syracuse does affect my opinion. Sorry Tyrus.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, and the beat goes on. Here's the next group that's coming through:

Josh Reaves (G – 6’5” 204 lbs.) Penn State
Cody Martin (G – 6’6” 192 lbs.) Nevada
Skyler Flatten (G – 6’6” 210 lbs.) South Dakota State
Tyus Battle (G – 6’7” 204 lbs.) Syracuse
Isaiah Pineiro (F – 6’6” 221 lbs.) San Diego
Cam Jackson (F – 6’9” 256 lbs.) Wofford

The most interesting player in this group to me is Cody Martin, one of the Martin twins from UNR. Martin surprised me at the combine when he proved to more athletic than I thought, posting a 35.5" vertical and a very good time in the lane agility drill. What makes him unique is that he's capable of playing PG at just under 6'6". He averaged just a tick under 5 assists a game. He also shot the three respectably just a tad under 36%. I think with better shot selection from the three his percentage would go up.
The general consensus always seemed to be that Caleb Martin was the better player, but time and again when watching them I preferred Cody. Cody has a much better all-around game, doesn't have the ugly form on his jumper, is a better defender. Caleb is more of a gunner, Cody much more well-rounded.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The general consensus always seemed to be that Caleb Martin was the better player, but time and again when watching them I preferred Cody. Cody has a much better all-around game, doesn't have the ugly form on his jumper, is a better defender. Caleb is more of a gunner, Cody much more well-rounded.
I agree with you completely. I always thought that Cody was the more skilled player of the two, but that Caleb was the scorer, who in my opinion, took a lot of bad shots at times. Cody was always the best passer and defender.

Not sure that I like the Martin twins as NBA prospects, but in today's positionless basketball, I could see Cody getting rotation minutes off the bench. His size brings in a lot of versatility.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
And, here's the next group that's coming in. Finally a player I really like.

Rickey McGill: G - 6'2" - 185 lbs - Iona
Jeremiah Martin: G - 6'3" - 186 lbs - Memphis
Ar'Mond Davis: G - 6'6" - 190 lbs - Santa Barbara
Jalen McDaniels: SF - 6'10" - 192 lbs - SDSU
Simisola craptu: PF - 6'10" - 227 lbs - Vanderbilt
Christ Koumarte: C - 7'4" - 274 lbs - Florida St.

Jalen McDaniels is a very possible choice for us at 40. He was considered a 1st rd choice coming into the season. He had a very inconsistent season, but I thought he improved as the season went on. Good shooter and good defender with terrific size for the position. He was called Kevin Durant light coming out of highschool. He needs to get a lot stronger, but there's a lot of talent there. I thought that Simisola played well until Garland went down, but I think he's a legit prospect that needs some time in the G-League

Koumarte is Tacko Fall light. Very similar skills or non skills, however you want to look at it. But like Fall, he's a pretty imposing figure under the basket.