[NBA] Comments that don't warrant a thread (FEB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
You... do not have a rational expectation from an exhibition.
It's not a BASKETBALL exhibition. It's a no-defense, slam dunk, and 3 point shooting exhibition with more people milling around the court. Unless there are Kings playing in it, I don't watch it.

Same with the slam dunk competition. It used to be entertaining. But now with all the retries and stuff, there isn't any "tension". I don't typically watch that either.

The 3 point competition I still enjoy. At least these guys are trying to win and every shot counts.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
preseason is considered exhibition, and there a lot more entertaining than people half jogging down the court and rolling the red carpet for dunks.

When I watch preseason games, to me, 80 percent of them is just watching a bunch of bums, who are never going to make an NBA team, playing bad basketball.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's not a BASKETBALL exhibition. It's a no-defense, slam dunk, and 3 point shooting exhibition with more people milling around the court.
So are the Harlem Globetrotters, and that also entertains me.

Unless there are Kings playing in it, I don't watch it.
I mean, do you. That's the sort of TUA-centered consumption that I couldn't relate to, even when I was a Kings fan.

Warhawk

Staff member

When I watch preseason games, to me, 80 percent of them is just watching a bunch of bums, who are never going to make an NBA team, playing bad basketball.
At least they are trying to win and play competitive basketball.

So are the Harlem Globetrotters, and that also entertains me.

I mean, do you. That's the sort of TUA-centered consumption that I couldn't relate to, even when I was a Kings fan.
Fair enough. I've been to the Globetrotters a couple of times and while I marvel at some of the stuff they do (as entertainment/skill), it isn't something I typically watch either (and it isn't really "basketball").

I generally don't watch many, if any, pro basketball games other than Kings games. A) I don't have the time, and B) I don't really CARE if the Heat beat the Knicks or the Blazers beat the Spurs. It just doesn't matter to me. In the slightest. I get what you are saying, but I just can't consume sports that way the vast majority of the time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
At least they are trying to win and play competitive basketball.
I think that a lot of y'all place entirely too high a premium on "competitive basketball" but, that's neither here nor there. Ultimately, I don't care if you (or anyone else) don't like the All-Star Game/All-Star Weekend. What I do care about is whether or not people feel the need to declare how much they don't like it, and every thing they think is wrong with it, across multiple threads. Like, can it be okay to let the people, who may be so inclined, like it for what it is?

Let people enjoy things.

Warhawk

Staff member
I think that a lot of y'all place entirely too high a premium on "competitive basketball" but, that's neither here nor there. Ultimately, I don't care if you (or anyone else) don't like the All-Star Game/All-Star Weekend. What I do care about is whether or not people feel the need to declare how much they don't like it, and every thing they think is wrong with it, across multiple threads. Like, can it be okay to let the people, who may be so inclined, like it for what it is?

Let people enjoy things.
Says the guy who has "hates football. Fite me." in his sig. ;)

Warhawk

Staff member
But I don't go into the football threads, telling people why they shouldn't watch it.
I haven't told anyone not to watch anything. I just said I don't like the format and/or competition as it currently stands. It was a topic of discussion and I put in my $0.02. And I'm done. :)

Don't get me started on the small "n" in the current jersey font though. I'll argue my POV on that one. That, and Oxford commas.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I haven't told anyone not to watch anything. I just said I don't like the format and/or competition as it currently stands. It was a topic of discussion and I put in my $0.02. And I'm done. :)

Don't get me started on the small "n" in the current jersey font though. I'll argue my POV on that one. That, and Oxford commas.

I couldn't be any less interested in the all star game. 3pt, skills and dunk contest? I don't mind it. But the actual game? I don't think I've watched it in over 5 years. I just wanna get back to real basketball but it's not back until Thursday.

How Morant didn't get in over Booker/Ingram is a joke, did OKC have anyone in the ASG? Should have been SGA or Paul/Morant over Ingram and Booker. The Pelicans record only looks not like a complete failure is cause of Zion's return they were trash with Ingram.

How Morant didn't get in over Booker/Ingram is a joke, did OKC have anyone in the ASG? Should have been SGA or Paul/Morant over Ingram and Booker. The Pelicans record only looks not like a complete failure is cause of Zion's return they were trash with Ingram.
Booker complained himself onto the team, pretty embarrassing actually

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
After an early halfseason marred by dropping viewership rates and lowered popularity among young people and a huge scandal regarding China, I find it hilarious that the NBA spent most of its allstar weekend pimping the hell out of TikTok, an app that is both immensely popular with young people and a front for the Chinese government to mine your personal data.

the guy should of at least finished the season before deciding to leave. not so easy coaching grown men versus college kids huh
I think in college 90% of your players listen to you. In the nba a lot of the “grown men” listen to their agents or make 5x the amount you do and think they know better since they’re paid more. Unless you are popavich or another coach that has won a ring, you can’t just coach them, seem you have to find a balance between players coach/stroking ego and doing what needs to be done to win.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think in college 90% of your players listen to you. In the nba a lot of the “grown men” listen to their agents or make 5x the amount you do and think they know better since they’re paid more.
It could be that. Or... it could be that, when you don't have the ability to exert power over your players, and lord the threat to take their scholarship away over them, it turns out that maybe you're not actually a good coach?

It could be that. Or... it could be that, when you don't have the ability to exert power over your players, and lord the threat to take their scholarship away over them, it turns out that maybe you're not actually a good coach?
Yeah, kinda falls under the pay thing. If I’m making more than you, I’m important to the team, like you said, with no scholarship to take away or any other ability to threaten, the coach in the nba is pretty much a lame duck. A lot of times, teams will side with their franchise player over a coach, unless the coach has won a (or multiple) championship. You can’t just be a x’s and o’s coach, you have to be able to handle egos too. Without any “power” it’s a lot harder than college.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
And I'll stipulate to all that. I'm just not clear on why you seem to be using the word "ego," like it's a pejorative? I mean, it's not like it's a revolutionary concept that good coaches should be able to communicate their vision to their personnel, without talking down to them.

Not a lot of things would make me stop supporting my team. But the crap that cavs roster just pulled to get the coach to resign, I wouldn’t watch another game till all 15 players were gone

Status
Not open for further replies.