Nape on Webb

quick dog said:
Napear is not the kind of guy to make stuff up, so I have to believe that Webber will come to play. I think Webber will lead the Kings to an NBA Championship this year. Nobody expects it, therefore it will happen. The again, perhaps not. I think it would be poetic in the wake of the chronic, ad nauseum, negative, BS one hears around here about Webber.
QD
the negative banter that you imply is the endless drivel of the irritating minority around KF is in all actuality a representation of the perception of a great number of fans (sorry if that is so nauseating to the rest of you) that do not frequent the KF website. i think people around here would like to believe that KF is an accurate sampling of fans everywhere. just not the case.

why it is so hard for people to accept that Webber is not the mythological hero that everyone makes him out to be (and please hold the numbers/stats - they don't figure into my equations - his behavior, attitude, depth of involvement, mental approach, performance AND impact and effect on the team chemistry and success does) is beyond me. but the facts are that there are any number of reasons why people are very skeptical if not increasingly critical of him.

as for the season ahead Grant Napear is hardly a source of accuracy or integrity. of course i would welcome a healthy and compelling performance by Webber this year but it would shock me given his disruptive impact on the team (players and team performance) that has everything to do w/ what runs through his head not his body.

even though i don't represent the status quo i would hasten to remind people that physical issues are only a part of Webber's problem. Mental is the primary variable. If he feels he has something to prove to the fans of the Sacramento Kings i am ready to see it. But i hardly expect it given everything i've seen of this guy...

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
I'm pretty confident in webb's motivation and offseason work -- I basically worry about two things with Webb this year:

1) fan reaction. I have a hard time imagining Webb keeping focus if they come out and are all over him from the opening tip of the opening game. And likely down goes the ship.
2) Injuries. No matter how bad he wants it. How much work he's put in. Bum knee, very prone to injury anyway. He could be ready to lead a team to a championship and still have his body let him down again.
#1 is the one that worries me the most. Injuries you really can't control, so you just cross your fingers and hope for the best. #1 could get ugly. How ironic would it be if 'the Best fans in the NBA' were ultimately the major contributing factor to shooting the season down in flames? Of course, it wouldn't be our fault, because we have the right to boo if we want, even if it's detrimental to the team.;) It would, of course, be Chris' fault, for making us want to boo in the first place. He gets paid gadzillions of dollars, so he should leave it all on the court, play his heart out for us, as we rain down boos upon his head. He really shouldn't be so sensitive. It wouldn't bother any of us.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nazman said:
QD
the negative banter that you imply is the endless drivel of the irritating minority around KF is in all actuality a representation of the perception of a great number of fans (sorry if that is so nauseating to the rest of you) that do not frequent the KF website. i think people around here would like to believe that KF is the definitive representation of fans everywhere. just not the case.

why it is so hard for people to accept that Webber is not the mythological hero that everyone makes him out to be (and please hold the numbers/stats - they don't figure into my equations - his behavior, attitude, depth of involvement, mental approach, performance AND impact and effect on the team chemistry and success does) is beyond me. but the facts are that there are any number of reasons why people are very skeptical if not increasingly critical of him.
Why is it so hard for people to accept that some of us don't expect our basketball players to be perfect human beings? I'm not happy with every single thing Chris Webber has done in his career but I find it almost impossible not to defend him when he is the subject of so much unceasing vitriol from some of the posters here.

There's a difference IMHO between criticizing someone for their performance on the court and constantly and unendingly attacking every single thing he says, does, thinks, etc.

That's what I believe QD is addressing. Look at his words again:

chronic, ad nauseum, negative, BS one hears around here about Webber.
He isn't talking about everyone. He's talking about those people who cannot post in a thread without adding a dig about Webber. When they also add in digs at the members making the comments, I personally think they've gone way too far.

VF i'm not going to get into any useless debate on this topic. but i would like to just say that the problem seems to be w/ the CONTROL that people want to put on how opinions are rendered. that's my point for the moment and my ongoing issue. that whatever you are addressing in your preceding post has as much to do w/ how certain posters are treated here ("chronic, ad nauseum, bs") as it has to do w/ the issue at hand. forums are open domains. not that everyone is entitled to vitriolic bantering but there are ongoing waves of haughtiness that characterize (some) members of the prevailing tide...

Last edited:
there are ongoing waves of haughtiness that comprise (some) members of the prevailing tide...
I like the sound of that, very poetic:D Can I ask, which is the prevailing tide? The defenders or the attackers? Who are the haughty ones? Would the defenders have anything to post in defense if the attackers weren't attacking? Will this off-season never end?

Kingsgurl said:
I like the sound of that, very poetic:D Can I ask, which is the prevailing tide? The defenders or the attackers? Who are the haughty ones? Would the defenders have anything to post in defense if the attackers weren't attacking? Will this off-season never end?
no further comment. don't see how it could possibly be useful...

Nazman said:
VF i'm not going to get into any useless debate on this topic. but i would like to just say that the problem seems to be w/ the CONTROL that people want to put on how opinions are rendered. that's my point for the moment and my ongoing issue. that whatever you are addressing in your preceding post has as much to do w/ how certain posters are treated here ("chronic, ad nauseum, bs") as it has to do w/ the issue at hand. forums are open domains. not that everyone is entitled to vitriolic bantering but there are ongoing waves of haughtiness that characterize (some) members of the prevailing tide...
I'm not in-charge of anything.

There are things about Chris Webber that I don't particularly like, but rambling on about them is beyond useful at this point. I'm just sick of listening to the same old saw. Until this latest comment by Napear on his apparent fitness, absolutely nothing meaningful or even interesting has been said about Chris Webber since the post-playoff "Peja-Vlade debaucle" ended.

Who cares anymore?

Bricklayer said:
I'm pretty confident in webb's motivation and offseason work -- I basically worry about two things with Webb this year:

1) fan reaction. I have a hard time imagining Webb keeping focus if they come out and are all over him from the opening tip of the opening game. And likely down goes the ship.
2) Injuries. No matter how bad he wants it. How much work he's put in. Bum knee, very prone to injury anyway. He could be ready to lead a team to a championship and still have his body let him down again.
Re: #1...IMHO: Chris is a big boy. He wouldn't-like most-like it if happened, but I think he'll get over it. When it first happened, it naturally stung him, like it did his teammates. But he's over it-he won't forget it, but he's over it. Besides, I think Chris Webber has been through a lot in his basketball career to put too much into the reaction of fans, the in some cases similar reaction he has received in other situations.

Re: #2...This could not worry me morem in fact it always has. It is a fact, Chris Webber has not played a full season in his 11 year NBA career. As someone who has followed he career, I feel cheated. He is so talented, but simply hasn't been able to display that talent over a prolonged period of time... Amongst most other basketball fans I know, its not a matter of if Chris Webber will get injured, but when. Its a horrible way to think, as a fan of the team. I've always tried to remain optimistic, and hope that the next season will be the injury free season.

Re: The thread...Its really 3rd of 4th hand information that we are receiving. Napear hasn't seen anything, he has heard from several people within the Kings organization say that Webb looks good. His weight is down, his knee feels good and that he's opening up a lot of eyes around Arco. I sincerely hope for the sake of the Kings that this is indeed true.

ReinadelosReys said:
Re: #1...IMHO: Chris is a big boy. He wouldn't-like most-like it if happened, but I think he'll get over it. When it first happened, it naturally stung him, like it did his teammates. But he's over it-he won't forget it, but he's over it. Besides, I think Chris Webber has been through a lot in his basketball career to put too much into the reaction of fans, the in some cases similar reaction he has received in other situations.
I wish that was the case. Unfortunately Chris is a very sensitive individual, who doen't forget jack. If Kings Fans boo him from the giddiup (I pray that is not the case) then the Kings may be in trouble, because that will stick with him for a while.

This thread is turning out to be really funny:D
Kind of sums up most of the emotions during the off-season.
Just hope that the Webber-Peja saga ends......... seems longer than the Lord Of the Rings Trilogy
By the way, great first post Elektrik ;)

Purple Reign said:
I wish that was the case. Unfortunately Chris is a very sensitive individual, who doen't forget jack. If Kings Fans boo him from the giddiup (I pray that is not the case) then the Kings may be in trouble, because that will stick with him for a while.
That he won't forget it, that I am sure of, but I really think he's over it or would get over it. Like I said he's had to get over a lot of things.

Nazman said:
QD
the negative banter that you imply is the endless drivel of the irritating minority around KF is in all actuality a representation of the perception of a great number of fans (sorry if that is so nauseating to the rest of you) that do not frequent the KF website. i think people around here would like to believe that KF is an accurate sampling of fans everywhere. just not the case.

as for the season ahead Grant Napear is hardly a source of accuracy or integrity. of course i would welcome a healthy and compelling performance by Webber this year but it would shock me given his disruptive impact on the team (players and team performance) that has everything to do w/ what runs through his head not his body.

even though i don't represent the status quo i would hasten to remind people that physical issues are only a part of Webber's problem. Mental is the primary variable. If he feels he has something to prove to the fans of the Sacramento Kings i am ready to see it. But i hardly expect it given everything i've seen of this guy...
I'm pretty sure you've seen this, but I just thought I'd direct you back to it. Very few, if any, are trying to make Chris Webber out to be some sort of god. It's just that not many people view his shortcomings - long though the list may be - to be as big a detriment as others do.

Question: Why is the month and a half of time that Chris Webber spent on the court with the Kings last season affecting your opinion of him/his impact on the team so drastically to the point that you (apparently) feel that he's more likely to hurt the team than help it?

I agree with you that a big part of any problem is going to be Webber's state of mind. We know he has the talent and the desire to help the team; is he going to demonstrate the discretion to know how he can help the team best? I think that's the biggest question.

Yet and still, I think there's a big problem when individuals see others supporting Chris Webber because he's a major part of the team and color them as avid Webber lovers, zealots who's prime objective is to deify him. That's simply not the case. I, for my part, am very well aware of both the pros and cons of Webber's presence, and I readily acknowledge them. It's annoying that some people can't see that.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:

Yep, those are the two things that I'm concerned about too. Webb was overly sensitive about getting booed last season, eventhough I can somewhat understand where he was coming from. He worked his tail off to get back on the floor after the injury only to get booed by fans. Webb should channel some of that emotion and use it to prove everybody wrong. Injuries are by far the major concern. Let's hope we can see Webb healthy for a full 82 games and ofcourse for the playoffs.

Purple Reign said:
I agree with you completely about Webber being sensitive, even too sensitive if you ask me, but I don't think that can really hurt us now. He's too proud to not give his best on the court and thats all we want from him. And I don't worry about him asking for a trade from Petrie and the Maloofs, mostly because I don't think they give in to pressure like that. So let him get offended, it will just light a fire under him. I also believe that if he does get "offended" about something he still wants to win bad enough and respects his teamates enough not to let them down. A couple of years ago I would have worried about that, but not anymore.

I am just waiting for the season to start so i can see where webb (and everyone else) stand, and only then will I be able to decide how i feel about him.....whether he is really in shape and whether there is any hope for this team this season...
Certainly, with all the "friendly chats" happening throught the media between Webb and Peja, I am most of all curious about the two of them stepping out on the court and seeing them side-by-side. Their chemistry could be crucial this year for this team as well as for the fans response to the team.

Gee I really enjoyed reading yesterdays thread:rolleyes: Weber deserves alot of bashing for some of the really stupid immature things hes done and deserves atleast some credit for the good things! Theres middle ground somewhere.

Can the "Webber haters" and "Webber lovers" please give it a dang rest atleast till the season starts? Is that so much to ask?......Oh wait Im sure it is!:eek:

KingKong said:
Webb was overly sensitive about getting booed last season, even though I can somewhat understand where he was coming from. He worked his tail off to get back on the floor after the injury only to get booed by fans. Webb should channel some of that emotion and use it to prove everybody wrong.
I agree that Webb should've been a bit disappointed with the fans' booing him last season, even though he did stink up the place at times and stagnated an offense that was setting records up until his return.

KingKong said:
Injuries are by far the major concern. Let's hope we can see Webb healthy for a full 82 games and of course for the playoffs.
I agree, but that's highly unlikely. We'll probably see Webb healthy for about 65 games during the regular season if we're lucky. I'd expect the coaching staff to hold him out of a few games or play him minimally in the second game of back-to-backs in order to keep him healthier during the regular season and fresher for the playoffs.

piksi

Hall of Famer
HumboldtKing said:
I agree, but that's highly unlikely. We'll probably see Webb healthy for about 65 games during the regular season if we're lucky. I'd expect the coaching staff to hold him out of a few games or play him minimally in the second game of back-to-backs in order to keep him healthier during the regular season and fresher for the playoffs.
Did we change coaching stuff over the summer ? Did I miss something ?

Never going to happen. He will average close to 40 minutes a game depending on how well we are doing. They will definitelly not sit him out for any games unless he is injured. Chances of him staying healthy and playing 65 + games are mediocre at best. I would not bet any money on that

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
65 would be enough at this point, as long as the down time was either scattered or took place midseason.

He needs to be healthy to start the season, so that we can establish a flow and team identity, and at the end of the season/playoffs when it matters. Would love to have him all season long, but given his history, if he has to take a break at a non-critical part of the campaign, fine. Its the Webber/Peja/Bobby playoff injuries that have haunted us.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
65 would be enough at this point, as long as the down time was either scattered or took place midseason.

He needs to be healthy to start the season, so that we can establish a flow and team identity, and at the end of the season/playoffs when it matters. Would love to have him all season long, but given his history, if he has to take a break at a non-critical part of the campaign, fine. Its the Webber/Peja/Bobby playoff injuries that have haunted us.
I see Your point.

Considering the western conference I would think that every game is going to be critical. To win the ring You just have to have the optional game 7 at home for the most part. You can get away with is once but rarely twice.
We just totaly ignored the possibility of somebody else "going down" too. Considering our recent hystory - how realistic is that?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The team plane could be blown out of the sky, too... Should we therefore make sure the team travels on two different planes, or better yet, travels only by bus? But what if the bus hits a slippery spot on the road and goes over a cliff? Perhaps we should hire limos to transport the team... I could go on, but I hope you get my drift.

Injuries are a part of sports, all sports. If you worry too much about the possibility of being injured, you don't play your best because your focus isn't on the right thing. You don't assume Webber is going to be injured. You realize he AND EVERY OTHER PLAYER could at some point suffer an injury. If and when it happens, you deal with it.

And BTW, based on prior history, if the Kings take a series to 7 games, we're doomed.

VF21 said:
The team plane could be blown out of the sky, too... Should we therefore make sure the team travels on two different planes, or better yet, travels only by bus? But what if the bus hits a slippery spot on the road and goes over a cliff? Perhaps we should hire limos to transport the team... I could go on, but I hope you get my drift.
When they aren't on the court all the players should be housed in Dick Cheney's top secret bunker. ;)

piksi

Hall of Famer
NME said:
When they aren't on the court all the players should be housed in Dick Cheney's top secret bunker. ;)
Our player are "talented" enough to pick up an injury even in impossible conditions. Nothing can stop them