Nape on Webb

Anyone else hear Grant gushing about Webber today on 1140? Hopefully he wasn't exaggerating. He said Webb was lighter and in fantastic shape and that there was a buzz around Arco.

a caller called up and was like "Whats the deal with webb. my friends are dogging him, I read in ESPN the Magazine that hes thinking of having another surgery on his knee. Whats the deal" Nape said something to the effect of "not only is that not true [about surgery], but he is in fantastic shape. There is a buzz around arco right now in fact. He is lighter, and if youve had surgery like hes had, that can only make you better."

WalMatt23 said:
a caller called up and was like "Whats the deal with webb. my friends are dogging him, I read in ESPN the Magazine that hes thinking of having another surgery on his knee. Whats the deal" Nape said something to the effect of "not only is that not true [about surgery], but he is in fantastic shape. There is a buzz around arco right now in fact. He is lighter, and if youve had surgery like hes had, that can only make you better."
Thats great news to hear.
Sorry for my lack of knowledeg, but who is Nape?

nape = grant napear. He co-hosts Sportsline, an afternoon norcal sports show here in sac. Hes also does the play-by-play for Kings games on TV

G

Garliguy

Hmm, could Grant and the Kings be trying to "puff up" Webber's health (no pun intended) so that he will look more attactive to other teams?

(Keeping fingers crossed.)

lol

That plan would only work if they were planning on trading him somewhere in Sacramento. I don't think too many people outside of sac listen to 1140..

JayBird said:
Grant Napear. The red-headed guy thats always on TV/Radio that doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.
WalMatt23 said:
nape = grant napear. He co-hosts Sportsline, an afternoon norcal sports show here in sac. Hes also does the play-by-play for Kings games on TV
Ohh thanks. Got it now :eek:

JayBird said:
Hmm, could Grant and the Kings be trying to "puff up" Webber's health (no pun intended) so that he will look more attactive to other teams?

Would be difficult to hide if he is not in shape or if his knee doesn't look too good. People are going to be looking at him with a microscope if they are going to trade for him.

Last edited:
Garliguy said:

Give it a rest.
The organization is not looking for a way to dump Webb. He is one of the cornerstones for this franchise for the next 4 or 5 years. Maybe he'll be healthy this year and bring us a championship.
How quickly we forget the MVP caliber of season less then two years ago!?!

G

Garliguy

Less than three years ago, Jerry Stackhouse was an MVP candidate. Now he is a journeyman. Less than two years ago, Britney Spears was hot. Now she's a pig.

The organization is not looking for a way to dump Webb.

Garliguy said:

That could work, considering how many teams prefer to make huge personnel decisions on the word of radio talk show host rather than outdated standards like medical exams.

By the way, you missed out on the "buzz around Arco" opening. I'm disappointed.

O yes, I'm sure the General Managers are like, "NAPE SAID WEBB IS IN FANTASTIC SHAPE!!! GOODNESS LET'S SNAG HIM NOW!!!" Yes... Clearly Petrie using yet another sly trick... =-)

That was actually funny. Riddled with oversight, but funny.

I don't think the Kings are trying to pump Webber's image up so that they can trade him. It's not inconceivable, but I don't think anyone's going to be interested in trading for Webber until they see him averaging 25, 12 and 4 with 2 blocks. And if that's the case, why trade him?

I heard Napear, too. He also said that he'd be happy if CWebb came back as an "8 or 8.5" (out of 10) compared to what he was before the injury. He did say CWebb had dropped some pounds, a good thing when you consider the pounding the knees take every game. Napear was of the opinion that CWebb had opened his mouth in public and now had to back it up on the court. And that's a good thing too, if CWebb can walk the walk.

Napear also said the Kings are talking to teams every day about possible deals and he wouldn't be surprised to see one soon. Since CWebb loves Christie, I'm thinking its Bobby Jackson on the block.

Superman said:
I don't think the Kings are trying to pump Webber's image up so that they can trade him. It's not inconceivable, but I don't think anyone's going to be interested in trading for Webber until they see him averaging 25, 12 and 4 with 2 blocks. And if that's the case, why trade him?
I couldn't agree more with your statement. That is exactly why I think Webber is a Kings for the entirity of his contract. If you're a Kings fan who hates C-Webb you're just going to have to take one on the chin or finding the "Webber brightsight".

Last edited:
M

Markezi

Heuge said:
Give it a rest.
The organization is not looking for a way to dump Webb. He is one of the cornerstones for this franchise for the next 4 or 5 years. Maybe he'll be healthy this year and bring us a championship.
Your relentless policing and whoring of Webber is what is tiring and deserves a rest.

JoMama - thanks for the update on the Kings talking w/other teams. I'm not sure why the Kings would consider trading Bobby - especially if it's for the reason you indicate (keeping Webber/Christie) - what would they want back? Salary cap? I hope they are instead trying to figure out a way to sign Bobby to an extension - obviously meaning that they'd have to trade one of their over-30 players.

I, like Garliguy, am crossing my fingers.

Markezi said:
Your relentless policing and whoring of Webber is what is tiring and deserves a rest.
I'd say that is a little over the top and uncalled for.
I have only defended Webber after illogical statements have been made. In this case, Grant says, Webb looks like he has lost weight. The responce...The Kings organization is preparing him to be traded.
Ironically, I am not a big Webb fan, however I am a fan of sound rational thinking. Conclusions such as these are not. Relentless whoring...hardly.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
JoMama said:
Napear was of the opinion that CWebb had opened his mouth in public and now had to back it up on the court. And that's a good thing too, if CWebb can walk the walk.
That would be the ideal scenario, and the one whereby those offseason statements work in our favor. We have skated along for so long, now the gauntlet has been thrown down. In an ideal world everyone has pride and feels like they have to go out and prove something.

Bricklayer said:
That would be the ideal scenario, and the one whereby those offseason statements work in our favor. We have skated along for so long, now the gauntlet has been thrown down. In an ideal world everyone has pride and feels like they have to go out and prove something.
Too bad some players would rather get out of town than go out and prove something. Is the trade rumblings finally about Peja (if we got Indy to sweeten the deal) ? Although Bobby is a possibility as well...

Napear is not the kind of guy to make stuff up, so I have to believe that Webber will come to play. I think Webber will lead the Kings to an NBA Championship this year. Nobody expects it, therefore it will happen. The again, perhaps not. I think it would be poetic in the wake of the chronic, ad nauseum, negative, BS one hears around here about Webber.

piksi

Hall of Famer
quick dog said:
Napear is not the kind of guy to make stuff up, so I have to believe that Webber will come to play. I think Webber will lead the Kings to an NBA Championship this year. Nobody expects it, therefore it will happen. The again, perhaps not. I think it would be poetic in the wake of the chronic, ad nauseum, negative, BS one hears around here about Webber.
perhaps

That's good news, although I'm going to be cautiously optimistic. I won't be getting really excited until he goes out and shows he's slimmer, quicker and his legs are stronger. The earliest I'll be able to see that would be October 14 when they play the Rockets on ESPN.

One of the positives about Webber is that he works harder when people criticize him, and that may have had an effect in helping him work himself into the player that he is today. I personally just can't see how trading him would make any sense. There are just so few players that the Kings could ever get that would make it a fair deal. And if what Grant says is even relatively true, then waiting to see how he plays is the smartest course of action. Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't see much happening between now and the start of the season (except that 12th spot being filled). I have resigned myself to the idea that Webber is our guy whether I like him or not so I may as well just get behind the guy.

I have a question though. If this ends up being the Kings year and everybody stays healthy and all our dreams come true, do they keep the team together for another run next year?

alrightythen said:
I have a question though. If this ends up being the Kings year and everybody stays healthy and all our dreams come true, do they keep the team together for another run next year?
I say we get there first and then worry about next year.

Last edited:
Why do people keep hoping Webber gets traded? You look at the available talent out there and how they would mesh with the Kings and there is no way we'll go from an elite team to champions. That means your favorite players, Stojakovic, Jackson, Bibby, Christie aren't going to get any rings, at least not here. On top of that, most likely one of those guys or another current Kings player, will be gone in the deal also; that or future picks. Things like that hurts the team overall.

In a league chock full of talented big men, are we to believe that somehow we'll be the exception and win it all.

Whether you like the man or not, just hope for the best.

Back to what Grant said. I was listening to his show today but I was in traffic for the most part, and I had my windows opened so I wasn't able to really hear what he said- that or I was daydreaming. I'm not the biggest Nape fan, so I'll take this with a grain of salt, but it's still nice to hear (besides the trade talk).

Who knows, maybe Nape is just trying to repair some of the damage he did this off-season.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'm pretty confident in webb's motivation and offseason work -- I basically worry about two things with Webb this year:

1) fan reaction. I have a hard time imagining Webb keeping focus if they come out and are all over him from the opening tip of the opening game. And likely down goes the ship.
2) Injuries. No matter how bad he wants it. How much work he's put in. Bum knee, very prone to injury anyway. He could be ready to lead a team to a championship and still have his body let him down again.