My *NEW* Kings player ratings!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I did this back on the old board, but now that the Kings roster is shaping together, I will do a new rating for our beloved team.

--Point Guard--

Starter: Mike Bibby---A very well rounded player, that can get what he wants done offensivly. Quietly one of the Kings best players. He is also one of the most clutch, you want the ball in his hands with time running out. Defense is another story, though. Not very good at all on the defensive end.

Back-Up: Bobby Jackson---The spark-plug that a team needs off the bench. Firey player that will score, play defense, and rebound. Not afraid to drive in with the big men. Sometimes he seems to force the action a little to much, though.

Overall Grade: A---As I said in my first ratings, these two are one of the best point guard tandems in the league.

--Shooting Guard--

Starter: Doug Christie---A gifted defender. A, uhh, not so gifted offender. Definatly the best defenser on the team though. As long as he doesn't force up to many J's he is a perfect fit in with the rest of the defensivly inept Kings.

Back-up: Courtny Alexander---Definatly can score. Averaged 17 points in 28 games with the Wizards. Not the best of defenders, though.

Back-up: Kevin Martin---His summerleague and preseason have been good to the kid. He has shown he has scoring ability. He definatly has the knack to get to the line. He does seem to be foul prone.

Overall Grade: B minus---I think a defensive Doug Christie giving way to offensive Courtney Alexander/Kevin Martin could be an alright combo. I'd expect to get defensivly burned with the back-ups though.

--Small Forward--

Starter: Peja Stojakovic---Arguably the best shooter in the game. Can score 20 points a night if given enough shots. He is an underrated defender. He needs to rebound more for his size. He doesn't seem to be the clutchest of players, but with all that said, he is arguably the Kings best player.

*Back-up: David Bluthenthal---Shot well in the Summer League...Isn't shooting well in the preseason. Doesn't seem to do much else that try to shoot from deep. Not ready for the NBA, IMHO. However, I think the Kings see something in him.

*Back-up: Matt Barnes---Him and Bluth are battling for a spot. He's not much on the offensive end, but he is one of theose hustlers that you love to have. A mini Scot Pollard (Play-wise)?

Overall Grade: B---Peja is pretty much 95% of this grade. His backup hopefully isn't going to get much PT, but if he does, uh-oh! Peja is awesome, while the back-up candidates are, well...Not.

--Power Forward--

Starter: Chris Webber---Has stepped himself up into the leadership role this year. So far his knee seems to be doing just fine, which is a really good sign. Webber needs to mix his game up to where it's along the lines of 60% inside 40% outside. Likes the mediocre jumpshot of his a little to much. A good rebounder with excellent hands, and a great passer, for a big man.

Back-up: Darius Songaila---A good offensive player. Grant says he has a smmoth 17 foot jumpshot, but he seems to shy away from that in favor of the inside game. Another hustle player on the defensive and, and will grab some rebounds.

Overall Grade: B plus---Thats, of course, hoping Webber stays relativly healthy. Webber is a really good player, and Darius is a well rounded, back-up... What more could you want?

--Center--

Starter: Brad Miller---One of the best centers in the league. Can rebound, play defense, and score. He has an awesome free-throw length jumper. He can also hit a three every now and then. But does he have a good enough inside game? Also, another great passing big man.

Back-up: Grag Ostertag---A defensive player. Will block you a shot or two. He is also a good rebouder. He has pretty much no offensive game, and sometimes seems to not care or know what he is doing. Inconsistant. Hopefully that changes...

Overall grade: B---Brad is one of the best centers in the league, and Ostertag as a back-up isnt the worst thing that could happen. Given the lack of centers in the league, this is one of the better tandems.

--Team Grade--

--B--

Having one of the best PG and C tandems in the league is a major plus. PF is a strong point as well. The lack of depth at the SF spot definatly hurts this grade. The SG is still up in the air. We'll got our 8-10 points out of Christie, but will Alexander go back to his old offensive form coming off an injury? Or will Flash step up and prove to be a diamond in the rough?

--Longshots to make it--

Ricky Minard-SG---Definatly a longshot with the aquisition of Alexander. Likes to drive to the hoops, even though he doesn't seem to have that knack to finish just yet. Has had a shaky preseason, at best, to make matters worse. I like him for some reason, and I'm hoping the Kings stash him on IR and just don't let him loose.

Adam Parada-C---Well...He hustles...Might make the opening day team with the injury to 'Tag. He can't seem to score from anywhere...But, he hustles...

Alton Ford-PF---He is a tough little rebounder, with not a lot of skills offensivly. If you want a garbage player, here's a guy that will give you hustle and energy, but not much else.

--My key to the season--

Who will step into the low-post force for the Kings: Brad or Chris?

With both these two liking the jumper, are they going to just shoot the J, or will one step down, and be the banger? I'm hoping that Webb turns into the low-post presence, because I like Miller's jumper a lot more, and will a center come out to consistently defend it?

* Either Barnes or Bluth. Not sure which one's gonna get picked so I did them both. The longshot will fill in for the empty shot made by one of them...

Last edited:
Not bad at all SLAB. I do, however, think that it Webb goes back to 2000 form then the PF grade should be brought up.

Until that happens these look pretty good!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So are these grades for the positions or for the people filling them? If it's for the position, then I'm still hesitant to give the small forward position a B because of the lack of depth. Otherwise, I think the grades are pretty good. I think the idea that Courtney Alexander will back up Doug might change, if Flash fulfills the promise he's showing...

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
Generally agree but Evans is a much better defender than Alexander and can be a scorer. Based on only one game for each lately, Evans is a bit higher up the pecking order.

Barnes might be the other one to sneak in. It will depend on what he does the next two games. Also if in a week, either Tag or Christie are on the DL, then we likely will see one or two more (Daniels, Evans, etc) on for at least 5 more games.

But from the Fresno game and earlier Minard has had a very tough time and not shown the scoring or defense they were hoping. Again, lets see what happens in Dallas on Thursday.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What's your grade on Maurice Evans?
I can't really say anything on him...I don't know anything about his game.

Other than the Hornets game, which he looked good in, I haven't seen him.

I dunno if we should call Martin (Flash) thats kidna disrespecting the streetball player "Flash" that died last year, we should really think of another nickname and give him that one, let flash RIP..

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
To be honest, there are a lot of people who have no idea what streetball is or who the players are...

I can't imagine that using the nickname would be disrespect. Kevin likes it, his family likes it and a number of people are already starting to use it...

I think the kid who died would be pleased to know his nick is living on... Look at it this way. People who know streetball will think of the baller who died. The ones who don't know streetball will think of Flash Gordon.

Last edited:
VF21 said:
The ones who don't know streetball will think of Flash Gordon.
I was thinking the ones who don't know streetball will think of the super hero Flash.. Flash Gordon is before my time ;) :p just playing with you VF

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My dear Mad D - If I got upset with everyone who said something I talked about was before their time, I'd be mad way too much.

I think of myself as the wise old sensei, who is here to impart knowledge to the young grasshoppers.

:D

And you're right. It was, in fact, the superhero Flash that I thought of... I was kidding, kinda, about Flash Gordon.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
VF21 said:
My dear Mad D - If I got upset with everyone who said something I talked about was before their time, I'd be mad way too much.

I think of myself as the wise old sensei, who is here to impart knowledge to the young grasshoppers.

:D

And you're right. It was, in fact, the superhero Flash that I thought of... I was kidding, kinda, about Flash Gordon.
Uh, oh! I thought of Flash Gordon. :p

Alright VF's convinced me on Martins nickname, I think it would be alright if he has the nickname "Flash" as long as everybodys alright with it, we also have to reconize that the street baller "Flash" should also be respected & reconized, and that Martins not taking anything from him but more of keeping the name alive, I'm pretty sure he would be happy to know that a rising star in the NBA carrys on "Flash".

BTW- I can't believe how good Flash can get to the Free Throw line, he leads all rookies with Freethrow Attempts & Freethrows Made, He was a major steal in the draft!! Has anyone else noticed hes starting to become very comfortable out there unlike his first cuple games, he's really challenging himself hes turning out Incredible for the Kings.!!!