Moving to Vegas?

Did you guys hear the report that between Oscar Robertson and David Stern, that it's been said that it's not a matter of IF Vegas will have a team anymore, but WHEN. Oscar Robertson said he LOVES Joe Maloof and would LOOOVE to build him an arena. Jim Crandell was talking about this today. It was in some article yesterday. Can anyone make a mock up of a Las Vegas Kings jersey. It may be more realistic that we think.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
DocHolliday said:
Did you guys hear the report that between Oscar Robertson and David Stern, that it's been said that it's not a matter of IF Vegas will have a team anymore, but WHEN. Oscar Robertson said he LOVES Joe Maloof and would LOOOVE to build him an arena. Jim Crandell was talking about this today. It was in some article yesterday. Can anyone make a mock up of a Las Vegas Kings jersey. It may be more realistic that we think.
Realistically, the Maloofs may eventually move the Kings from this area. They aren't going to do it without exhausting every possible avenue to get a new arena, however. You don't throw away nearly 300 consecutive sellouts and the fantastic fanbase they have here without doing a LOT of soul-searching.

There are those who think it's already too late. I disagree, but it's no longer a matter that can continue to be shoved aside.

A few days ago, there was a clip of Joe Maloof saying "Angelo (Tsakapouls) is still working on a plan and we've been approached by another individual with an idea for funding this project." He then went on to say they didn't want to leave Sacramento, that they're still counting on getting a deal done, etc.

Honestly, I think they're in part waiting to see what happens with the upcoming City Council elections.

Although they've become more public about their personnel decisions, I think Joe and Gavin and the rest of the Maloof family have decided to keep their negotiations, etc. about the arena private until something concrete has developed. I don't blame them. They've been blind-sided a couple of times by the City Council.

If they do move the Kings, I still doubt it would be to either Las Vegas or the LA area. If anything, our Kings might end up going "home" to Kansas City with that beautiful new arena just sitting there.

VF21 said:
Realistically, the Maloofs may eventually move the Kings from this area. They aren't going to do it without exhausting every possible avenue to get a new arena, however. You don't throw away nearly 300 consecutive sellouts and the fantastic fanbase they have here without doing a LOT of soul-searching.

There are those who think it's already too late. I disagree, but it's no longer a matter that can continue to be shoved aside.

A few days ago, there was a clip of Joe Maloof saying "Angelo (Tsakapouls) is still working on a plan and we've been approached by another individual with an idea for funding this project." He then went on to say they didn't want to leave Sacramento, that they're still counting on getting a deal done, etc.

Honestly, I think they're in part waiting to see what happens with the upcoming City Council elections.

Although they've become more public about their personnel decisions, I think Joe and Gavin and the rest of the Maloof family have decided to keep their negotiations, etc. about the arena private until something concrete has developed. I don't blame them. They've been blind-sided a couple of times by the City Council.

If they do move the Kings, I still doubt it would be to either Las Vegas or the LA area. If anything, our Kings might end up going "home" to Kansas City with that beautiful new arena just sitting there.
I agree 100% that if the team ends up moving it's because the city and everyone else really screwed the pooch and left the Maloofs with no other option. The support they have here is priceless. They don't want to lose that die hard no matter what support if they don't have to.

VF21 said:

If they can't stay in Sacramento, I would love the Kings to come backk to Kansas City!!

HOnestly I think they would go to Las Vegas. They would have helped bring the ALL-STAR game to Vegas, helped bring the ability to have an NBA team in Vegas, and the culmination would be BEING the team that comes to VEGAS. Then all their business for the most part would be in Vegas. It's a slam dunk. They are in tight with the mayor. They would get whatever ARENA they wanted, and exactly how they wanted it. And their team's house would be the host of the ALL STAR game. In my mind no question about it. They would be going to another one team town besides UNLV. But, we are talking pro here.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I still think if Las Vegas gets a team, it's going to be a team NOT OWNED by people with such intimate and obvious ties to gambling.

But that's just my gut instinct. The very fact they are so deeply involved with that city already might just be the one reason that keeps them from moving the team there.