mo evens good enough for dunk contest??

me too

will he get an invite...? ::shrugs:: nobody knows

but if Josh Smith doesn't get an invite there is absolutely NO POINT of even having a dunk contest

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
My question always is anymore, why do people still watch the dunk contest? After all of the debacles of recent years its so boring even the live crowd just sits on its hands.

Bricklayer said:
My question always is anymore, why do people still watch the dunk contest? After all of the debacles of recent years its so boring even the live crowd just sits on its hands.
to me the year after Vince Carter was in the dunk contest...thats when it started to be extremely boring to me...i watch just cuz i watch all of that nights festivites but the last 3 or 4 years or so has been a total snooze...I think though this year they really have an opportunity to have the dunk contest be the greatest again...if they invite the right people and everyone that they invite goes for it

I think lasts year's dunk contest was really, really boring. fred Jones got lucky winning the dunk contest. There was only 1 dunnk that stood out and it was by jason when he put bewteen his legas and reverse jam. it was so beautiful.....But other than lasy year its pretty cool. Dunks are fun to watch especially if there is a game just for it.

Last night on the Post game show radio, Koz said that Mo got invited to the dunking contest? So I'm assuming Mo may say Yes and will go.

Bricklayer said:
I actually don't watch it, either, but if the producers could promise the type of dunk Josh Smith had on an alley-oop thrown by Harrington earlier this year (I think Josh's head was above the rim), then I'd watch this year. Or, if VC is participating. Otherwise, what's the point?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I'm a pretty big fan of the dunk contest. Last year was pretty bad though.

What I thought was cool was the thing two years ago. Where they had the wheel of classic dunks the dunkers had to duplicate. I thought that was neat, but it just went away...

Wonder if Gerald Wallace would accept an invite this year? Didnt he say his "all about politics" views were weakening?

S

SaCKiNgS24

wallace got robbed last time when he busted that free throw dunk! but i expect stevey franchise to win it! i hope he enters it.

Do you think Lebron can do acrobatic jams? He almost always does that one-handed tomahawk jam in games. Same for Josh Smith. I think Josh Smith admitted that, too.

Edit: I found the article about Josh Smith:
Notes: Smith wonders if he has right stuff for contest
www.ajc.com/sports/content/ sports/hawks/0105/12notes.html
By SEKOU SMITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/12/05

Hawks rookie Josh Smith would love to participate in the NBA's Slam Dunk competition next month, but he's afraid he doesn't have the necessary style required.

"I'm really a game dunker. I don't really have stuff like Richard Jefferson and all those other people," Smith said. "All the stuff they do, I can't do it."

That's the same thing last year's winner, Indiana guard Fred Jones, said before he took home the title. Smith already has people around the league buzzing about his ability to elevate.
But Smith said "game dunkers" are at disadvantage in a contest atmosphere.

"In a dunk contest, you're basically thinking of doing something," Smith said. "Like if I jump from the free throw line during the game, I'm just doing it without thinking about it. But if I was to think about it, I would be worried that I might not make it from that far and probably wouldn't try it."

That's not the only reason Smith is hesitant about participating in the NBA's dunk showcase during All-Star Weekend, Feb. 18-20 in Denver.

His last time out, Candace Parker, now a freshman at Tennessee, upstaged Smith and several of his male McDonald's All-American counterparts on national TV by winning the competition. It's a defeat that won't be forgotten anytime soon.

"I'm scarred for life," Smith said, jokingly. "Oh man, it's in my heart. It's not leaving. It's permanent."

Last edited:
karesk said:
Do you think Lebron can do acrobatic jams? He almost always does that one-handed tomahawk jam in games. Same for Josh Smith. I think Josh Smith admitted that, too.
i really dig that tomahawk jam. its simple, but sweeeeeet.

come on... the dunk contest is always fun. It did kind of reach a peak during Vince's year, but it is always interesting to watch. If anything is boring, how about that 4v4 game with a random NBA player, a WNBA player, a celeb, and an old-timer, with each team representing a city.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
karesk said:

Edit: I found the article about Josh Smith:
Notes: Smith wonders if he has right stuff for contest
www.ajc.com/sports/content/ sports/hawks/0105/12notes.html
By SEKOU SMITH
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/12/05

Hawks rookie Josh Smith would love to participate in the NBA's Slam Dunk competition next month, but he's afraid he doesn't have the necessary style required.

"I'm really a game dunker. I don't really have stuff like Richard Jefferson and all those other people," Smith said. "All the stuff they do, I can't do it."

That's the same thing last year's winner, Indiana guard Fred Jones, said before he took home the title. Smith already has people around the league buzzing about his ability to elevate.
But Smith said "game dunkers" are at disadvantage in a contest atmosphere.

"In a dunk contest, you're basically thinking of doing something," Smith said. "Like if I jump from the free throw line during the game, I'm just doing it without thinking about it. But if I was to think about it, I would be worried that I might not make it from that far and probably wouldn't try it."

That's not the only reason Smith is hesitant about participating in the NBA's dunk showcase during All-Star Weekend, Feb. 18-20 in Denver.

His last time out, Candace Parker, now a freshman at Tennessee, upstaged Smith and several of his male McDonald's All-American counterparts on national TV by winning the competition. It's a defeat that won't be forgotten anytime soon.

"I'm scarred for life," Smith said, jokingly. "Oh man, it's in my heart. It's not leaving. It's permanent."
Like the kid's attitude. Game dunking is exciting. The rest is just pretty much showoff junk. Work on your jumper kid. It actually means something + will help your team win.

Just to let you know, the NBA still maintains the "Rising Stars" gimmick-- for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's something the NBA put into place after being constantly turned down by Vince Carter, Kobe, T-Mac, etc. year after year. So in a move to basically act like they didn't want them in the first place, they put in the rule that only players with 3 years or less of experience could be invited to the Dunk Contest. So that rules out Jason Richardson, Desmond Mason, Gerald Wallace, all of the above mentioned, Richard Jefferson, and all other "established" dunkers. Josh Smith also went down with a a sprained ankle recently and is on the IL right now, so I'm not sure about his status for the Dunk Contest. But for those Lebron doubters....yeah...don't doubt it. If anyone out there is more clear on the rules than I am, could you explain to everyone the specifics for Maurice? He was only in the NBA for 1 year previously with the Wolves, but has been in the pros for more than or equal to 3 years. So he's eligible, right? Anyway, here's my wish list (this is assuming that Josh Smith makes it):

Lebron James
Maurice Evans
Josh Smith
J.R. Smith

Fred Jones wasn't very exciting last year, and there's nothing that requires the defending champion to be invited, so I believe he should be excluded.