Mike Brown hired as Head Coach

Good thing?

• Total voters

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Brown said it was Draymond and Steph's decision to start Looney.

I don't believe either of the last two games are relevant for judging Brown, just pointing it out.
To be fair, the decision to keep starting Kuminga despite him being unplayable bad this series was apparently Steve Kerr’s so it’s pretty hard to blame Mike Brown for any of how these last three games went down (although those defensive rotations in the 4th quarter were crisp and make me excited to see what he does with the Kings on that end)

To be fair, the decision to keep starting Kuminga despite him being unplayable bad this series was apparently Steve Kerr’s so it’s pretty hard to blame Mike Brown for any of how these last three games went down (although those defensive rotations in the 4th quarter were crisp and make me excited to see what he does with the Kings on that end)
Pretty certain Kerr had a hand in the Looney decision as well. But just as much as Brown wasn't at fault for the previous games, he shouldn't be getting all of the love for the adjustment. At the end of the day, in the NBA, Players > Coaches. You can't win, if you don't got talent, and you don't got talent that plays the game the right way.

so the conditions were 1- please don’t suck next year and 2- hire whoever you want as long as one of your hires is Doug Christie?

Stein has been dead wrong on almost everything as far as the Kings have been concerned but even if he weren’t this doesn’t seem too unreasonable.
I think the Minnesota condition is pretty unrealistic. They have a 2nd year first overall pick who took a giant leap. They are on the 99 Kings trajectory. Get Fox to play defense and Sabonis back to All Star level and +10-15 wins is totally realistic but it's also reaching our ceiling with the roster, but I feel like other teams that made a leap but don't have a future superstar are better comparisons. I'd say Cleveland, but I think they have one as well. They actually went +20 in the win column, but were knocked out in the play-in.

I'm happy to see Doug is in the future plans though. I think he deserves it and I think he will fit in with Brown, and will be in great position to learn from him.

There has been zero indication that Wilcox and Monte are not in harmony this seems like poop-stirring.
It wouldn’t surprise me if Wilcox was a significant voice in the process considering he worked with Brown before, but that doesn’t mean anything nefarious is going on (although given Vivek’s history, that’s fair game):

From the Bee:
“Brown was 35 years old when he got his first head coaching job in Cleveland in 2005. Kings assistant general manager Wes Wilcox was part of the Cavaliers organization at that time, first as a scout, then as an assistant coach and then as director of player personnel.” https://amp.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article261079892.html

It wouldn’t surprise me if Wilcox was a significant voice in the process considering he worked with Brown before, but that doesn’t mean anything nefarious is going on (although given Vivek’s history, that’s fair game):

From the Bee:
“Brown was 35 years old when he got his first head coaching job in Cleveland in 2005. Kings assistant general manager Wes Wilcox was part of the Cavaliers organization at that time, first as a scout, then as an assistant coach and then as director of player personnel.” https://amp.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/article261079892.html
Oh I absolutely know the connection and was sure that Wilcox was a strong voice for Brown, but he also seemed like the most Monte hire in the leaked list of coaches with head coaching experience.

Oh I absolutely know the connection and was sure that Wilcox was a strong voice for Brown, but he also seemed like the most Monte hire in the leaked list of coaches with head coaching experience.
There is also the simple fact that Wilcox has the most first hand experience with Brown. He would be more qualified to answer pointed questions. Just because the top dog wasn't the one doing the majority of the talking doesn't mean something sinister is going on. It could be just the opposite, the top dog being confident enough in his team that he lets someone else have the lead.

so the conditions were 1- please don’t suck next year and 2- hire whoever you want as long as one of your hires is Doug Christie?

Stein has been dead wrong on almost everything as far as the Kings have been concerned but even if he weren’t this doesn’t seem too unreasonable by Kangz standards.
Hopefully DC does stay on. Dude will be a great asset for any coach he's under. He's a team player and they won't have to worry about him stabbing anyone in the back.

Hopefully DC does stay on. Dude will be a great asset for any coach he's under. He's a team player and they won't have to worry about him stabbing anyone in the back.
I dunno why kings Twitter is going crazy about these supposed stipulations. They want the new coach to have a Minnesota type improvement. Duh. If I was the coach I’d agree to that stipulation to get the job and I’d expect myself to try to do that well. Also almost everyone loved Doug becoming an assistant coach and some even wanted him to become a head coach. Now the kings want to keep him on as an assistant is a bad thing?!?! Kings media/fans are so fickle. We want the kings to win a lot and want Doug to be assistant coach unless Vivek and the front office want it, then it’s not cool

I dunno why kings Twitter is going crazy about these supposed stipulations. They want the new coach to have a Minnesota type improvement. Duh. If I was the coach I’d agree to that stipulation to get the job and I’d expect myself to try to do that well. Also almost everyone loved Doug becoming an assistant coach and some even wanted him to become a head coach. Now the kings want to keep him on as an assistant is a bad thing?!?! Kings media/fans are so fickle. We want the kings to win a lot and want Doug to be assistant coach unless Vivek and the front office want it, then it’s not cool
As men and solid basketball minds, I'd love to see Doug Christie and Rico Hines stay on the support staff, as I believe they have a lot to offer the young players still finding their way. As coaches, I'm dismayed that any incoming hire isn't given carte blanche to pick his staff regardless of what gives others the feels.

As men and solid basketball minds, I'd love to see Doug Christie and Rico Hines stay on the support staff, as I believe they have a lot to offer the young players still finding their way. As coaches, I'm dismayed that any incoming hire isn't given carte blanche to pick his staff regardless of what gives others the feels.
To make it easy, just let brown hire his team of 4-5 assistants or whatever. Then just add Doug and Rico. That way Brown doesn’t feel like they are taking the spots of one of “his guys”