Mike Brown hired as Head Coach

Good thing?

• Total voters
He can just F-off. We can make fun of the kings ineptitude on this website, but Chris freaking Mullin actually contributed to this streak. From what I can tell he did nothing of value and was one of the first in a long line of leaches that attempted to trick our idiot owner into handing him more power than he was ever worthy.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Tacky…but he ain’t wrong! :p
yeah, but when you're one of the morons who lets two of the three best players on the roster go for nothing and fires the best coach the team has had in years you shut the hell up.

Compound that with the fact that the entire Vlade experiment was a complete overreact to the mess those two morons made in the first place, and the result of that was another decade of setbacks and a franchise legend becoming a laughingstock and persona non grata amongst the majority of the fanbase and he can choke on a ham sandwich.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Parts of this make no sense to me, so let's say a team has $10 million in space and needs to sign 2 players, they have to use the MLE to sign the first player or renounce it to sign the player. I don't get it.
Yeah, it's a bit hard to wrap your head around the logic (the mechanisms are not so difficult). It's kind of explained in this question:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

I think the best way to look at it is that the league sees having cap room as an asset, and doesn't want to additionally reward teams that clear cap room with the ability to use their full MLEs and Bi-Annual exceptions.

Imagine a scenario where the MLE is $10M, the BAE is $4M, the cap is $120M, and a team has a salary coming into the offseason that has $106.1M worth of salaries. $106.1M + $10M + $4M = $120.1M, so the team is "over the cap" and can't sign a player to a contract without using an exception. They can use the MLE and get a player for $10M. But what if they want to get a player who will command almost $14M on the market? They can't combine the MLE and the BAE, but they can renounce the exceptions, and have $13.9M in cap space, and sign the player. Then, as a consolation for losing their full MLE, spending up to the cap creates the "room" exception, which is typically about half the size of the full MLE.

I kind of see the logic, especially for teams that clear out their entire salaries to try to sign two or more max deals. You want to be able to go out and dominate the the free agent market, spend up to the cap, AND get your MLE on top of that? The league says "no".

The cap is overly complicated, and there are tons of exceptions, and some of the logic is murky at best (the above is pretty murky). I'd certainly want to design a different system if I were given the opportunity to do so from scratch. But the whole thing is collectively bargained, and you've got to make the players happy, and you've got to make the small market teams happy, and you've got to make the big market teams happy to get everybody to sign on the dotted line, so you get what we have here.

"So you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he GETS it! And I don't like it any more than you men."

He can just F-off. We can make fun of the kings ineptitude on this website, but Chris freaking Mullin actually contributed to this streak. From what I can tell he did nothing of value and was one of the first in a long line of leaches that attempted to trick our idiot owner into handing him more power than he was ever worthy.
Mullin was joking dude. If Vlade would have picked Luka, we would not be playoff less. And that is not on Mullin.

Yeah, it's a bit hard to wrap your head around the logic (the mechanisms are not so difficult). It's kind of explained in this question:
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q26

I think the best way to look at it is that the league sees having cap room as an asset, and doesn't want to additionally reward teams that clear cap room with the ability to use their full MLEs and Bi-Annual exceptions.

Imagine a scenario where the MLE is $10M, the BAE is $4M, the cap is $120M, and a team has a salary coming into the offseason that has $106.1M worth of salaries. $106.1M + $10M + $4M = $120.1M, so the team is "over the cap" and can't sign a player to a contract without using an exception. They can use the MLE and get a player for $10M. But what if they want to get a player who will command almost $14M on the market? They can't combine the MLE and the BAE, but they can renounce the exceptions, and have $13.9M in cap space, and sign the player. Then, as a consolation for losing their full MLE, spending up to the cap creates the "room" exception, which is typically about half the size of the full MLE.

I kind of see the logic, especially for teams that clear out their entire salaries to try to sign two or more max deals. You want to be able to go out and dominate the the free agent market, spend up to the cap, AND get your MLE on top of that? The league says "no".

The cap is overly complicated, and there are tons of exceptions, and some of the logic is murky at best (the above is pretty murky). I'd certainly want to design a different system if I were given the opportunity to do so from scratch. But the whole thing is collectively bargained, and you've got to make the players happy, and you've got to make the small market teams happy, and you've got to make the big market teams happy to get everybody to sign on the dotted line, so you get what we have here.
Exceptions = overly complicated = that's the tax code.

Special category carve outs like the MLE... = more high paying jobs for players. Don't think the union would give them up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having Mike Brown get some playoff run and win as the head coach can only help the Kings. If he puts together a good run and gets the Warriors into the next round, he will be able to command the Kings players attention that much more. This also gives Brown a refresher course on being a head coach (and in the playoffs too) ahead of him joining the Kings. A win-win for Mike Brown and the Kings for sure! :)

Kenny might be a good coach but I do think it’s odd that Joshua and others are so sure he would turn the Kings around when his best season had 9 more wins than Browns worst year.
lol his best player was Dlo compared to prime kobe and lebron but it’s fine let’s lie to ourselves like we hired more than an average coach cause he was hired

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
He had second year LeBron who in 2020 credited him with instilling a defensive mindset.

He most certainly did not have "Prime Kobe".

I get that LeBron is the greatest player of his generation and was going to be a megastar no matter what but when a guy can look back at the twilight of his career and say "this guy got me to think about the game differently" that's huge. That's what Phil did for his guys. I don't think Brown is Phil but he has never had a roster like the Bulls or Lakers to work with outside of Golden State. I'll settle for him getting us to 50 wins and the second round of the playoffs.

lol his best player was Dlo compared to prime kobe and lebron but it’s fine let’s lie to ourselves like we hired more than an average coach cause he was hired
His worst season, 33-49: He had a team with (3rd year baby) Kyrie Irving (21/6/3), Dion Waiters, and Luol Deng (shadow of himself), Spencer Hawes and Tristan Thompson as his starters. That crap record literally equals the second best record for the kings the last 10 years (2015/2016). Only 2018/2019 going 39-43 was better. Next better year is all the way back in 2007/2008 going 38-44. So if he beat 13 out of 15 records of the kings with that mudhole of a roster, I'm willing to give him a year or two to imprint on this young team. His roster with Sacramento next season will inarguably be better.

In fact, the same year (2013/2014): Under Mike malone, lead by Cousins, Gay and Isaiah Thomas, and on paper a better roster, still had a worse record than the cavs.

His worst season, 33-49: He had a team with (3rd year baby) Kyrie Irving (21/6/3), Dion Waiters, and Luol Deng (shadow of himself), Spencer Hawes and Tristan Thompson as his starters. That crap record literally equals the second best record for the kings the last 10 years (2015/2016). Only 2018/2019 going 39-43 was better. Next better year is all the way back in 2007/2008 going 38-44. So if he beat 13 out of 15 records of the kings with that mudhole of a roster, I'm willing to give him a year or two to imprint on this young team. His roster with Sacramento next season will inarguably be better.

In fact, the same year (2013/2014): Under Mike malone, lead by Cousins, Gay and Isaiah Thomas, and on paper a better roster, still had a worse record than the cavs.
They traded for Spencer Hawes midseason, acquiring him from the 19 win process Sixers, and started him for 25 of their remaining 27 games. This was his 7th year in the league and he only started 23 games the remainder of his career. That roster is terrible enough on paper and looks as bad as any we’ve had but the Hawes thing is really a bullet. Kings fans know Spencer Hawes and know how hard it is to get even 33 wins so we of all fan bases should know better than to freak out over a season like that

pdxKingsFan

Staff member

Might also be worth noting that this marked a 9 win improvement over the 2012-2013 season and the team completely blew their draft pick on a guy that played 52 games while averaging 4 points and 3 rebounds in just under 13 minutes per game.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
For those wondering why Jackson wasn’t a good choice for basketball reasons and not off the court stuff.
Sadly there's no convincing the people who like Jackson for off the court stuff that the real reasons not to hire him are the basketball reasons.
"Kerr inherited his ready-made team".

I do enjoy the overlap with the Brown sucks he had LeBron crowd though.