Mike Brown hired as Head Coach

Good thing?

• Total voters
My understanding is that the Kings are actually currently $12M under the cap and also have the full MLE (~$10m). We have some important FA we need to resign (DDV and in my opinion, to a lesser extent Damian Jones). We have flexibility with respect to Jones, depending on what we do with Holmes and Len. I woukd like to see holmes moved for a defensive minded 4 stretch 4 like PJW or in a S/T for Portis, but i think it is worth bringing him back if he can be had on the cheap (2-4M/yr) if you can move either len and or Holmes. Also, if you want to go after Hartenstein then you can likely bypass bringing him back. But bringing back DDV IMO is very important. He will likely command at least 7-9M but he probably will want 10M. so i would use part of the MLE on him. If he can be had for around 7-8, then thrown 2-4M at hartenstein.

What i would like to see is Holmes traded to Charlotte for PJW and Cody Martin(s/t for $4-5M/yr), or if you can't include a S/T in this deal, then Len and a second traded for PJW straight up. Next resign DDV for $8M/yr for 3yrs. This leaves up to $4M of cap space to go after Hartenstein or resign Jones. You then still have sign your FRP so part of the MLE will likely need to be used on DDV and/or Hartenstein/Jones if you find a player that you want to chase.

Fox/Mitchell
DDV/Lamb/TD
Barnes/Martin/Harkless/Lamb
PJW/Barnes/Metu
Sabonis/Hartenstein(or Jones)/Len.

That gives balance with reasonably good shooting from 2-4. Good defenders with starters (DDV, Barnes, PJW and to a good extent, sabonis) and bench (Mitchell, lamb, martin and Hartenstein).
Don't know what site your looking at but they aren't under the cap. Your most likely not taking cap holds into account.

Knowing our luck, Brown will remain coach of the Warriors through the playoffs and win the championship! Kerr will then retire and hand over the GSW head coaching job to Brown, so he can concentrate on his health. o_O

I sure hope the Kings got the contract signed with Brown already! :p

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
That means a lot coming from Draymond. I was reading the same types of comments from a lot of players and coaches he's worked with and it's really the only thing I needed to hear. Defensive accountability has been this team's Achilles heel for as long as I can remember. He's not going to come in and work miracles, but at least we'll know what our players are capable of defensively. No more excuses for any of them.

Knowing our luck, Brown will remain coach of the Warriors through the playoffs and win the championship! Kerr will then retire and hand over the GSW head coaching job to Brown, so he can concentrate on his health. o_O

I sure hope the Kings got the contract signed with Brown already! :p
Knowing Kangz luck the Warriors will lose all remaining games, lol.

That means a lot coming from Draymond. I was reading the same types of comments from a lot of players and coaches he's worked with and it's really the only thing I needed to hear. Defensive accountability has been this team's Achilles heel for as long as I can remember. He's not going to come in and work miracles, but at least we'll know what our players are capable of defensively. No more excuses for any of them.
Yep. Dray is probably the best defensive player in the league. If he thinks Mike Brown matters on D, then so should Kings fans.

Don't know what site your looking at but they aren't under the cap. Your most likely not taking cap holds into account.
Basketball reference shows the comitted salary is 108M for 2022-2023. Cap is expected around $121M if im not mistaken. The cap holds for lamb and ddv are a total of 30M but im fairly certain they will not resign lamb and while a QO to DDV will keep that hold at 14M, if we sign him quickly doesnt the hold get corrected?

Anyone one else ever read a thread on this board without focusing on who is posting and think “man, the board is super negative on this topic” only to realize that half the posts are from KB02 just saying the same thing over and over in response to everyone? Lol.
We have our fair share of “mentals”on this board, but he’s the one person I had to put on my ignore list.

Basketball reference shows the comitted salary is 108M for 2022-2023. Cap is expected around $121M if im not mistaken. The cap holds for lamb and ddv are a total of 30M but im fairly certain they will not resign lamb and while a QO to DDV will keep that hold at 14M, if we sign him quickly doesnt the hold get corrected?
the mle and draft picks have cap holds too

Most show about $22 mil over the cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/cap/2022/

https://sportsnaut.com/2022-23-nba-...y cap for,original projections ($149 million).

Shifts to what an 8th place ceiling team?
Is this you guys talking yourselves into Brown because he got hired lol.

We needed someone like Atkinson who proved he can take a worthless team and turn it around dude really had the world fooled that Russell was an all star. I don’t cRe what brown accomplished with a top 5 player of all time/vets or this GSW team
I mean I wanted Atkinson too but dude rejected us. Can’t hire the guy who won’t even pick up the phone.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
the mle and draft picks have cap holds too
I think you are right about the numbers where we won't be under the cap if we keep the guys we are expected to, but the MLE can't be used until you are over the cap so I don't think it would make sense to put a cap hold on it.

I think you are right about the numbers where we won't be under the cap if we keep the guys we are expected to, but the MLE can't be used until you are over the cap so I don't think it would make sense to put a cap hold on it.
Were over the cap so there is a cap hold. Teams that want to use their cap space have to renounce their MLE cap hold to use the free space.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Kenny might be a good coach but I do think it’s odd that Joshua and others are so sure he would turn the Kings around when his best season had 9 more wins than Browns worst year.
Yeah I didn't really have Atkinson ranked higher than Brown. My desire was for a young guy with no history of wearing out his welcome in multiple cities. When looking at Brown, his tenures seem more like Adelman's which is why I ultimately came around on him. Won in Cleveland but "wasn't good enough" despite it being a GM/roster issue. Went to the Lakers where they were in rapid decline, his departure coincided with one of the longest Lakers playoff droughts that I can recall. Went back to Cleveland where he was apparently expected to work miracles despite a roster on par with the Theus era Kings.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Were over the cap so there is a cap hold. Teams that want to use their cap space have to renounce their MLE cap hold to use the free space.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q13
Parts of this make no sense to me, so let's say a team has $10 million in space and needs to sign 2 players, they have to use the MLE to sign the first player or renounce it to sign the player. I don't get it.

Based on todays Dubs game.

offensively playing like straight trash but still in it. If Brown and the Kings can do that, it’ll be acceptable. Just give me a reason to watch late into the 4th quarter
Their offense hasn't been good, but they have been missing a lot of threes. The Grizzilies defense has been all over them so credit to them.

But yeah, Warriors defense has kept them in the game and I hope we can see some of that.