Message from San Antonio

Jer said:
You're right. Besides, I think whoever comes out of our side of the bracket is going to level whoever comes out of the other side; at this point, it'll likely be the Clippers or the Lakers benefiting from the crummy seeding system they decided to bring in this season.

But honestly, I don't get the undying animosity towards the Lakers since they're a completely different roster. Do people still feel the same way about Utah?

Yes they are another team I hate with a passion and the thought of them making the playoffs this year instead of the kings absolutely disgusted me.

Anyways, Mavs will beat the lakers. Just watch.

A

AriesMar27

lets be real here... the mismatches that we have against the spurs we wont have against the mavs and lakers..... and if we beat the spurs but lose to the mavs.... would any of you really want to see the mavs and lakers play in the wcf knowing that one of them will have to win and go to the finals? do you want that burden on your conscience? lol.... there is a good chance that we could beat the lakers... but damn..... the suns had an even better chance and they damn near blew it.... and still might....

the lakers losing is more important that the kings losing.... and the spurs winning is almost a guarantee tha tthe laker will eventually lose....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
AriesMar27 said:
lets be real here... the mismatches that we have against the spurs we wont have against the mavs and lakers..... and if we beat the spurs but lose to the mavs.... would any of you really want to see the mavs and lakers play in the wcf knowing that one of them will have to win and go to the finals? do you want that burden on your conscience? lol.... there is a good chance that we could beat the lakers... but damn..... the suns had an even better chance and they damn near blew it.... and still might....

the lakers losing is more important that the kings losing.... and the spurs winning is almost a guarantee tha tthe laker will eventually lose....
Good lord. That has to be the most convoluted logic I have ever attempted to follow.

R

Rated-R

Hey I just joined this forums and I am a little confused about this thread. Is Big Shot Rob really Robert Horry? I doubt NBA players would join...a forums lol. Well no offense meant. What is going on though? Is that message really from San Antonio?

R

Rated-R

Sorry for doube posting but I just joined this forums and I was a little confused by this thread. This message from San Antonio, is it even real? It seems to be giving the Kings a little too much credit than most people would liek to do publicly...and is Big Shot Rob really robert horry? Because people are thanking him hiere...and Im confused. I really doubt an nba player would join a fan-based forums lol. Well tell me whats going on thanks. No offense meant here, sorry.

On November 22nd, I joined this board and posted the following:

Again, congratulations, and good luck with your season. I really would like to meet y'all in the playoffs this year.
I officially want to retract that now :D Your Kings have caused me, and my Spurs, no end of anxiety. Before the playoff seeding was set, Coach Popovich was asked which California team he'd rather face in the playoff, meaning either the Kings or the Lakers. His (paraphrased) answer was "Is Pomona-Pitzer playing? Those other two teams scare me to death".

Y'all have a hell of a ball club, and much to be proud of.

I don't know about us being the toughest you've ever faced, but this team is playing their butts off. I guarantee the old version of the Kings wouldn't have stood up well against the Spurs rough-and-tumble style of play. This has been a helluva matchup, and I just hope it goes 7, so we have two more games to watch.

The Spurs are showing why they're a championship team, especially in crunch time of Game 5...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KingCookie said:
I don't know about us being the toughest you've ever faced, but this team is playing their butts off. I guarantee the old version of the Kings wouldn't have stood up well against the Spurs rough-and-tumble style of play. This has been a helluva matchup, and I just hope it goes 7, so we have two more games to watch.

The Spurs are showing why they're a championship team, especially in crunch time of Game 5...
See...that silliness + lack of persepctive again.

The old version of the Kings were actually the Spurs equals and never had a reason to back down from them. Certainly weren't afraid of them. Two bulls going head to head over the big prize.

Unless by "old" you are talking about the Kings of the last year or two, in which case, that's not old.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
KingCookie said:

I generally agree. I, too, want it to go 7.

I don't know about how well we would have matched up in the past comment. We always played Utah very physically and took it to them, beating them when it mattered after what, 2000? We never backed down from Utah and were often out-muscling them. Those Kings teams were pysical when they needed to be. This team is just like that more often. :)

Edit - Brick beat me to it.

Utah is not the Spurs. They would have blasted us out of the water, I feel, and felt, at the time.

Not the point though...sorry to knock us off-topic here.

Bricklayer

Just for kicks, look at some of these fun matchups:

Spurs 05-06 vs. Kings 02-03

C - Rasho v. Vlade
PF - Duncan v. Webb
SF - Bowen v. Peja
OG - Doug v. Manu
PG - Parker v. Bibby

PG - Van Exel v. Bobby
C - Nazr v. Pollard
PF - Horry v. Keon
OG - Finley v. JJ
SF - Barry v. Hedo

I mean right down the line, fun matchups. Think we'd have the edge though. ;)

Bricklayer

KingCookie said:
Utah is not the Spurs. They would have blasted us out of the water, I feel, and felt, at the time.

Not the point though...sorry to knock us off-topic here.
You are seriously deluded. NOBODY blasted us out of the water. And I'm going to clue you in on something here -- the Spurs are NOT that physical a team. In fact visit a Spurs board and they will tell you the same thing -- the very teams that give the Spurs problems are the physical ones. They have a small PG, a small OG, a small (but tough) SF. Rasho at C? Barry? Finley? Van Exel? They play good defense, but they don't bounce you around that much.

Spurs are definitely not a physical team. They are a finesse, fundamentals team. It's been a great series. Only one I've watched where it's been close, hotly contested yet the players have maintain respect for each other.

OK fine Brick, I am seriously deluded. I am silly and have a lack of perspective. Anything else? That team was soft when it mattered, and we would've lost to the Spurs if we hadn't dodged them. This year's team is supremely tougher than in years past.

BTW, since you won't drop it, why would you compare THIS year's Kings with the Spurs from 3 years ago? Could we get any more pointless? I was talking about the Kings from 3 years ago.

I'm dropping it now, please do the same.

Bricklayer

KingCookie said:
OK fine Brick, I am seriously deluded. I am silly and have a lack of perspective. Anything else? That team was soft when it mattered, and we would've lost to the Spurs if we hadn't dodged them. This year's team is supremely tougher than in years past.

BTW, since you won't drop it, why would you compare THIS year's Kings with the Spurs from 3 years ago? Could we get any more pointless? I was talking about the Kings from 3 years ago.

I'm dropping it now, please do the same.
I compared the Kings of 3 years ago to this year's Spurs, not the other way around. For the simple reason that this is theoretically the best/deepest Spurs team, and that was the best/deepest Kings team. 02-03 Kings vs. 02-03 Spurs isn't fair...to the Spurs. We were bigger, deeper, more talented. We were also the better defensive team. Favored to win it all, and for good reason.

Bricklayer said:
I compared the Kings of 3 years ago to this year's Spurs, not the other way around. For the simple reason that this is theoretically the best/deepest Spurs team, and that was the best/deepest Kings team. 02-03 Kings vs. 02-03 Spurs isn't fair...to the Spurs. We were bigger, deeper, more talented. We were also the better defensive team. Favored to win it all, and for good reason.
I forgot about how good of a defensive team our Kings were that year. One of the top ones in the league if I remember right.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bricklayer said:
Just for kicks, look at some of these fun matchups:

Spurs 05-06 vs. Kings 02-03

C - Rasho v. Vlade
PF - Duncan v. Webb
SF - Bowen v. Peja
OG - Doug v. Manu
PG - Parker v. Bibby

PG - Van Exel v. Bobby
C - Nazr v. Pollard
PF - Horry v. Keon
OG - Finley v. JJ
SF - Barry v. Hedo

I mean right down the line, fun matchups. Think we'd have the edge though. ;)
We traded Doug for Manu?! :p

Bricklayer said:
Well, if you're saying that 02-03 Kings would eliminate 05-06 Spurs I am with you. As for direct comparision, I just checked 02-03 Spurs were the only team to win the season series agains the Kings (we were 1-3). This years Spurs are "deeper" in a sense that Miami is "deeper" - lots of duplicative talent and end-of-the-line players (Finley, Van Exel, Horry...). They are good but eminently beatable. In fact, if we somehow transported 02-03 team to this year, I believe we would have best record in WC and be favorites for title - again. ;)

And we would still have to play Dallas in 2nd round. :eek:

Bricklayer

bozzwell said:
Well, if you're saying that 02-03 Kings would eliminate 05-06 Spurs I am with you. As for direct comparision, I just checked 02-03 Spurs were the only team to win the season series agains the Kings (we were 1-3). This years Spurs are "deeper" in a sense that Miami is "deeper" - lots of duplicative talent and end-of-the-line players (Finley, Van Exel, Horry...). They are good but eminently beatable. In fact, if we somehow transported 02-03 team to this year, I believe we would have best record in WC and be favorites for title - again. ;)

And we would still have to play Dallas in 2nd round. :eek:
Do you remember what 02-03 was like for us? The only reason we didn't win 65 was absolutely crushing injury after crushing injury. Bibby, Bobby, Peja, Webb, Hedo, Pollard.... The odds of us having a full strength on full strength clash with the Spurs that season were pretty low.

Worst part was that that had to be laid DIRECTLY at the feet of Geoff Petrie. As you may recall the idiot went out at the end of the previous year and signed Chucky Brown to hang out on our playoff roster. Then he let him go! And what happened to EVERY team that EVER let Chucky Brown go after a title run? That's right -- The Curse of Chucky. :mad:

Bricklayer said:
Do you remember what 02-03 was like for us? The only reason we didn't win 65 was absolutely crushing injury after crushing injury. Bibby, Bobby, Peja, Webb, Hedo, Pollard.... The odds of us having a full strength on full strength clash with the Spurs that season were pretty low.

Worst part was that that had to be laid DIRECTLY at the feet of Geoff Petrie. As you may recall the idiot went out at the end of the previous year and signed Chucky Brown to hang out on our playoff roster. Then he let him go! And what happened to EVERY team that EVER let Chucky Brown go after a title run? That's right -- The Curse of Chucky. :mad:
I am trying to supress that memory. That's why I HAD to look up basketball reference to see how we played the Spurs.

R

Rated-R

Hey can someone answer my question. I asked why many people are thanking Big Shot Rob on this forums....is he really Robert Horry or does his words mean that much do you guys? I'm sure its nice to give credits to other fans here but I don't know what is going on. I am new to these forums...

And is this really a message from San Antonio? Or just a Spurs fan?

Bricklayer

Rated-R said:
Hey can someone answer my question. I asked why many people are thanking Big Shot Rob on this forums....is he really Robert Horry or does his words mean that much do you guys? I'm sure its nice to give credits to other fans here but I don't know what is going on. I am new to these forums...

A fan presumably.

Yep, a fan.. You know, I've been considering going over to some Spurs sites just to stir the pot but from what I've read, most of their fans seem pretty humble (unlike some OTHER teams who shall remain Laker....errr.... nameless). Their team has a rich history but the fans are realistic and don't bash too much. Much props..

And to address RR's question, a fan coming over to an opponent’s board and being respectful and friendly is rare, especially this time of the year.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Parker and hate Manu with some amount of respect...but it's hard to hate the Spurs & their fans as a whole. I'll settle for gentle dislike.

Big Shot Rob said:
The series with the Kings is more difficult than any series the Spurs have ever faced. This series is more difficult than Detroit. Dallas is a piece of cake compared to the Kings. In fact, everyone else in the Western Conference is a piece of cake compared to Sacramento.

I have no idea who is going to win this series. I expect Sacramento will protect its home court on Friday and we will have another tough game in the AT&T Center.

The way that Bonzi Wells is playing, I think I would just feed him the ball every time. We have absolutely no answer for Bonzi. None. Zero. The local San Antonio announcers were scratching their heads why--in the third period--the Kings kept going to Artest and getting away from Bonzi.

Just wanted you to know you're the best opponent my team has ever faced--bar none. I shudder to think what they will be like next year, when they have Ron and Bonzi playing together for an entire year.
Thanks, Rob, I wonder if you're a SpursReport member responding to my request for some props. If so, thanks a lot.

We are a terrific, unique team, but you guys are truly the class team of the NBA in ability and professionalism, and I hope to god we'll win, but it's looking unlikely. We'll see.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Rated-R said:

:eek:

Bricklayer said:
See...that silliness + lack of persepctive again.

The old version of the Kings were actually the Spurs equals and never had a reason to back down from them. Certainly weren't afraid of them. Two bulls going head to head over the big prize.

Unless by "old" you are talking about the Kings of the last year or two, in which case, that's not old.
Napear this afternoon said that this series is dead even b/c the Kings aren't in awe of the Spurs and they don't have a "back down" mentality. He's a hometown fan obviously, but the man knows this team, so it's encouraging anyway.

There is no way this series is even remotely over. I fully expect the Kings will get a huge lift from their fans and take game 6 by at least 12 points.

This thing will be decided in SA in game 7. It will be a great game--probably close all the way through.

And the Kings could very well win it. We have no answer at all to Bonzi. If the Kings would have kept feeding the ball in the third quarter and let Ron focus mainly on his defense, this game could very well have gone the other way.

I don't have any idea what Bonzi does that gives the Spurs such fits. I know he is heavier, etc. But I would think that after being at this level of professional play, coaches and players could figure out how to neutralize a player with the ingredients that Bonzo Wells brings to the game.

But why not keep feeding him the ball? He is the one who produces points--whether by the three ball or with his points in the paint.

Anyhow--I think that the Sacramento fans should be overjoyed. Their team is no way an 8th seed--really playing more than a third seed, at the absolute lowest.

Plus, you have the nucleus of great squads for several years. You made a great deal for Ron Artest.

One thing I like about our Spurs--they and the coaching staff really do say it the way it is. Duncan heaps so much praise on Sacramento in the local San Antonio TV interviews--you would think he is a coach or owner of the Kings. Same goes for Pop and Manu.

So please don't get so negative. Even if the series were to end on Friday--the sky is the limit for next year.

With that having been said--good night, everyone.