Meanwhile in Reno...

That first step back turn around jumper he made as the first highlight in the video was sweet. Looked like a Cousins move in slow motion.

Glad to see him starting to have consistent success night to night. He's also 3rd in the league in shot blocking. I don't want to see him on the NBA court this year though because he's not ready. Especially for the speed of the game. He's very slow out there right now.

One thing that concerns me is that in his 15 games played, he only has 2 games where he has had a positive +/- rating. I wonder what the deal is there? Even Isaiah Cousins who's stats for a guard are about on par with Papa's stats as a center has a positive net rating in about 40% of his games played. Papa's offensive stats look okay enough so the only thing that's left is his defense. Despite the shot blocking, he must be playing really poor defense to have such a bad +/- rating. I know that stat isn't the be all end all but it makes you think when his is so far off of his other teammates.

Popa a top it again 17-12-4blocks 8-13 shooting. He's really good at rolling and has shown his jumper so he'll be excellent in the pick&roll
This is why I kept trying to convince the quick triggered fans to temper their negativity. The kid was 18 when the Kings drafted him. Vlade knew it was gonna take some time. It always does with big men. He still may not pan out as we hope, but things are certainly looking more encouraging than 6 months ago. It's probably gonna take another season until he's really ready to contribute.

Before anybody chimes in with "yeah, but he was a lottery pick" let me state that so were Ben McLemore and Willie Cauley-Stein and we're just now starting to see life from the 2 of them and they were older and more experienced.

This is why I kept trying to convince the quick triggered fans to temper their negativity. The kid was 18 when the Kings drafted him. Vlade knew it was gonna take some time. It always does with big men. He still may not pan out as we hope, but things are certainly looking more encouraging than 6 months ago. It's probably gonna take another season until he's really ready to contribute.

Before anybody chimes in with "yeah, but he was a lottery pick" let me state that so were Ben McLemore and Willie Cauley-Stein and we're just now starting to see life from the 2 of them and they were older and more experienced.
It's crazy how much quicker he looks after slimming down. If you watch his Reno highlights in chronological order it's a significant transformation.

That hook shot is money, and if he can add in a move going the other way he would be a real handfull. I like the fact that he impacts the game so much on both ends and his first thought is always to go to the basket. I definitely see something there. Gotta keep reminding myself he's still a teenager.

It's crazy how much quicker he looks after slimming down. If you watch his Reno highlights in chronological order it's a significant transformation.

That hook shot is money, and if he can add in a move going the other way he would be a real handfull. I like the fact that he impacts the game so much on both ends and his first thought is always to go to the basket. I definitely see something there. Gotta keep reminding myself he's still a teenager.
As pointed out in the article Telemachus linked in another thread, he needs to work on his left hand and physicality in the post. Again, he's only 19 1/2 and far from a finished product. There's obviously plenty of time. But if he does those things, he very well could become a very, very good player and everything Vlade envisioned.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Now that all our picks are with the NBA team, I admit to not watching many Reno games of late but their roster now features Gary Neal (yes, that Gary Neal), Isaiah Cousins, Kendall Marshall, and Jaleel "All the bad fouls without any of that annoying talent" Cousins.

Isaiah is another guy that's really developed under Darrick Martin. Not really hitting his threes but plays good defense and is getting better as the prime guard.

Considering the onslaught of guard injuries on the big league team, I would love to see us give Neal or Isaiah a call. No roster spot to do so unfortunately.

Now that all our picks are with the NBA team, I admit to not watching many Reno games of late but their roster now features Gary Neal (yes, that Gary Neal), Isaiah Cousins, Kendall Marshall, and Jaleel "All the bad fouls without any of that annoying talent" Cousins.

Isaiah is another guy that's really developed under Darrick Martin. Not really hitting his threes but plays good defense and is getting better as the prime guard.

Considering the onslaught of guard injuries on the big league team, I would love to see us give Neal or Isaiah a call. No roster spot to do so unfortunately.

At this point, the Kings should seriously considering cutting Casspi, and signing someone like Cousins, or another PG from the DL. I know Lawson will be back, but the Kings really need a 3rd PG. At this point, Casspi is just taking up a roster spot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At this point, the Kings should seriously considering cutting Casspi, and signing someone like Cousins, or another PG from the DL. I know Lawson will be back, but the Kings really need a 3rd PG. At this point, Casspi is just taking up a roster spot.
Yeah, I really feel bad for Omri but if he's never going to get healthy, we really need his roster spot for someone who could at the very least put on a uniform.

If we're talking 3rd string PG, even 4th actually, since Temple is your 3rd one, I would rather take a shot at Isaiah Taylor, who plays for Rockets' affiliate, but is not under contract from Rockets: was a star recruit for Texas, but on a team with a lot of big men and non-shooting guards, he was another one, who couldn't shoot. Taylor can get into the paint and fly to the rim at will and is a very good passer. Main thing is he went from potentially good shooter with .800+ FT% to a good 3pt shooter (.409 on 4 attempts per game). Not taking any mid-range shots, but that might be "rim or 3" directive from the coach (it's Rockets affiliate after all). And at D-League level he has no need to settle for a jumper. He will always be on the slimmer side around 6'2"/180, but he competes and is very quick.

I noticed that the Reno Bighorns have two homes games coming up at G1C. I would really like to see Malachi, Skal and Papa. Does anyone know if they will be playing at those games?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I noticed that the Reno Bighorns have two homes games coming up at G1C. I would really like to see Malachi, Skal and Papa. Does anyone know if they will be playing at those games?
I kind of doubt it. We don't know anything about Malachi's hamstring injury yet, but there's a decent chance he will be out.

As for Skal and Papa, we could technically "shuttle" them up and down, but seeing as they have been on the active roster lately with all of our injuries, we might want to keep them fresh for NBA duty.

The one thing that goes in favor of the rookies playing for Reno in those games is that in both cases the Reno game is sandwiched by two Kings home games, so it's not like they would be on the road with us. The first game is Feb. 24, which is sandwiched by Kings games on the 23rd and 25th, the second is on March 3, which is sandwiched by games on 3/1 and 3/5 (that second date being perhaps MORE likely, because there is a rest day both before and after).

ok, let's talk about the big elephants in the room.

Let's start off with Papa. Is he a franchise C?
I think he could be a solid starting C. His straight line speed is not great. He looks to be a little flat footed. Lateral quickness looks to be average for a C. He has good size/length, but he doesn't know how to use it to his advantage. His offense is limited. He's a post scorer who only has his 1 turn around hookshot. He flashes some potential out in the mid-range. He's not a good passer at all. On defense, looks to be a solid rim protector. Needs to bulk up, or he'll get bullied in the post. He doesn't have very good mobility and looks stiff in his movements. Overall, I think he can become a solid starting C.
worst scenario: Cole Aldrich
middle-line secnario: Kosta Koufos
best scenario: Marcin Gortat
most likely: Kosta Koufos-type

Skal.
I don't think Skal is a NBA player. I'm not rooting against him at all, but I just don't see it. I see a Bruno Caboclo. I question his understanding of the game and his mental toughness. From a physical standpoint, he still has lots of time to grow and develop his body. Right now, he has a narrow frame with narrow shoulders. On offense, he has an extremely smooth stroke. He gets his shot off with ease. He has a good mid-range game. His turnaround fade seems to be effective and his go-to move. On defense, he's light on his feet with good balance. He also displays potential shotblocking ability. He's a poor rebounder. I just don't see it with Skal. He struggles extremely with any type of physicality. At times, he gets lost on the floor because the game moves too fast for him. I don't see him as an option at PF at all.
Worst case scenario: Noah Vonleh
Middle-line scenario: Darrell Arthur
Best case scenario: Serge Ibaka
most likely: Noah Vonleh, bust.

Knowing we have Papagiannis, do the Kings target a C in the draft?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Skal.
I don't think Skal is a NBA player. I'm not rooting against him at all, but I just don't see it. I see a Bruno Caboclo. I question his understanding of the game and his mental toughness. From a physical standpoint, he still has lots of time to grow and develop his body. Right now, he has a narrow frame with narrow shoulders. On offense, he has an extremely smooth stroke. He gets his shot off with ease. He has a good mid-range game. His turnaround fade seems to be effective and his go-to move. On defense, he's light on his feet with good balance. He also displays potential shotblocking ability. He's a poor rebounder. I just don't see it with Skal. He struggles extremely with any type of physicality. At times, he gets lost on the floor because the game moves too fast for him. I don't see him as an option at PF at all.

Is it telling that I have NO idea who that is?

As far as Papa goes, the current GM has some experience in being a center so I'm hoping (no, praying) that he saw something of value in the kid. I want this year's draft selections to knock our socks off and I doubt if there's gonna be a center in there good enough to do that. We just sent that guy to New Orleans.

It's obvious our present front office things we need to play to compete with GSW. So, I hope we find a couple of good players (since position doesn't mean much according to the aforementioned GM) who will make our team exciting to watch. I'd really like to have a reason to come to Sacramento again. At this point, I wouldn't waste the time or $$ to attend a Kings game. I support the players but let's be real...ticket prices just aren't in line with the value of the product on the court.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer

As far as Papa goes, the current GM has some experience in being a center so I'm hoping (no, praying) that he saw something of value in the kid. I want this year's draft selections to knock our socks off and I doubt if there's gonna be a center in there good enough to do that. We just sent that guy to New Orleans.

It's obvious our present front office things we need to play to compete with GSW. So, I hope we find a couple of good players (since position doesn't mean much according to the aforementioned GM) who will make our team exciting to watch. I'd really like to have a reason to come to Sacramento again. At this point, I wouldn't waste the time or $$ to attend a Kings game. I support the players but let's be real...ticket prices just aren't in line with the value of the product on the court.
You'll have to wait until 2018, but you can get excited about this kid.

Since we're obviously tanking now, we might have a shot at him. I'd like to be happy about Tyreke being back, but it doesn't seem like they have any interest in keeping him around after this season either so it just means I now get to watch him leave twice.

Bruno Cabocolo is a young 18yearold player that the Raptors drafted 3 years ago in the 1st round. As a player, he has all of the physical tools you want, but he's simply not a basketball player. It's the inability of to show basic basketball skills and knowledge.

The ticket prices will be cheaper next year. Would allow Kings games to turn into family events.
Well, Vlade hasn't done a lot of great things, but he's been poised with the draft. Drafting WCS, Papagiannis, Richardson, and Skal. This upcoming draft has been talked up as being one of the deepest drafts we've seen in a while. It only took the GSW one draft to find Steph Curry. It's the same for the Kings. We just need 1 draft pick.

I think next year will be similar to 2009. We'll have a horrible team, but it'll be fun to watch us be led by young players.

It was Caboclo that inspired the phrase, "he's two years away from being two years away" wasn't it?
lol yes. Right when he was drafted, no one had a clue about who he was. He was drafted at 20th overall, yet he wasn't even on most top 60s. The commentators reaction was "he's 2 years away from being 2 years away". They're right. 3 years later, he's still 1 year away....

ok, let's talk about the big elephants in the room.

Let's start off with Papa. Is he a franchise C?
I think he could be a solid starting C. His straight line speed is not great. He looks to be a little flat footed. Lateral quickness looks to be average for a C. He has good size/length, but he doesn't know how to use it to his advantage. His offense is limited. He's a post scorer who only has his 1 turn around hookshot. He flashes some potential out in the mid-range. He's not a good passer at all. On defense, looks to be a solid rim protector. Needs to bulk up, or he'll get bullied in the post. He doesn't have very good mobility and looks stiff in his movements. Overall, I think he can become a solid starting C.
worst scenario: Cole Aldrich
middle-line secnario: Kosta Koufos
best scenario: Marcin Gortat
most likely: Kosta Koufos-type

Skal.

Getting some answers to these questions is exactly why we need to ship a majority of the vets off to open up playing time for the young fellas. Let's at least get a baseline with all the rooks heading into the off-season so we can at least limit what we need to target somewhat. What if Papa is 10-10 in 20 minutes the last 25 games? Or 4-3 in 20 minutes? Both results would significantly change the off-season planning I think.