Marvin Bagley - the legend begins

Before the draft Scot Pollard said he would take Bagley if he had the first pick. I know Scot isn't perfect - but he's no dummy.

Marvin Bagley is kind of unlike anything I've seen at 19. I read about his "second jump" but didn't really quite understand what they were talking about.

He is a freaking pogo stick who gets better every game.

Before the draft Scot Pollard said he would take Bagley if he had the first pick. I know Scot isn't perfect - but he's no dummy.

Marvin Bagley is kind of unlike anything I've seen at 19. I read about his "second jump" but didn't really quite understand what they were talking about.

He is a freaking pogo stick who gets better every game.
He’s really just a different kind of athlete. He doesn’t always seem totally fluid and graceful. Hes a vertical, two foot jumper, but he’s not all power dunk athlete like Shawn Kemp or Zion. Can be a little hurky jerky at times.... Yet his athleticism still takes your breath away. Combined with a relentless pursuit. I can’t totally put my finger on who (if anyone) he reminds me of. He really is unique.

Sometimes when we see players regularly, their improvement tends to sneak up on us. Just for some clarity on Belgey’s improvement, just think back to summer league and the player we saw then and compare him to the player we see now days. Not just the player we saw against the Spurs but in general in recent weeks. Even before missing games with injury, Bagley was putting together some really promising games.

Just imagine how much better he will be next season or even in 3-5 years time. All-Star!

Last night he shot the ball with no hesitation, and the shot overall looked smooth with a faster release. People around me were yelling for him to get in the paint, but I see it as him probing the boundaries of his development. As the game grew, he patrolled the paint and was a difference maker on both ends. Exciting to watch
I had the same experience. People around me saying no! I was saying, yes because it looked like the start of something new and wonderful. He is transforming his game mid season. I've never seen a player so clearly change his game during a season. It's not just that he's better. He's different. Everything in the beginning was his back to the basket. Head down. Now he is facing up and taking what the defense gives him. Leading fast breaks. Shooting 3s with no hesitation. Marvin has absolutely no fear.

Should be starting after February 7. It is clear he has arrived given his consistency and upswing in production
Marvin wants minutes and he’s getting them. Same for Harry. They’re making a statement about the future while they push us toward the playoffs. Who starts, when and where? I really don’t care.

His template is Giannis.

Got scoffed at earlier this year when I said it, but 3 years from now he's going to be playing like Giannis. Add a euro step, tighten that handle a bit, continue to develop his mid range and three point shooting, accelerate his vision and passing, and maintain his energy and defensive activity. Dudes going to be grabbing boards and leading the break, facing up and driving from the perimeter or mid range, and making shots on all three levels.

Barring injury, we got another two way beast (in addition to Fox). Enjoy the next 10 years.

His template is Giannis.

Got scoffed at earlier this year when I said it, but 3 years from now he's going to be playing like Giannis. Add a euro step, tighten that handle a bit, continue to develop his mid range and three point shooting, accelerate his vision and passing, and maintain his energy and defensive activity. Dudes going to be grabbing boards and leading the break, facing up and driving from the perimeter or mid range, and making shots on all three levels.

Barring injury, we got another two way beast (in addition to Fox). Enjoy the next 10 years.
You're stuck on this comparison but it's not going to happen. Doesn't have anywhere near the foundational handling or passing to be a version of Giannis.

Comparisons are completely unnecessary anyway. There are no two NBA players the same.

Bagley can be great without being another version of Giannis, his path is not the same. Their similarities are size and athleticism, their games aren't similar at all.

You're stuck on this comparison but it's not going to happen. Doesn't have anywhere near the foundational handling or passing to be a version of Giannis.

Comparisons are completely unnecessary anyway. There are no two NBA players the same.

Bagley can be great without being another version of Giannis, his path is not the same. Their similarities are size and athleticism, their games aren't similar at all.
Well, if you compre Giannis today to Marvin, of course he has a better handling and court vision. But what if you compare rookie Giannis to Marvin? I don’t remember many people projecting Giannis to be a top 3 player in the league after his rookie year.

Well, if you compre Giannis today to Marvin, of course he has a better handling and court vision. But what if you compare rookie Giannis to Marvin? I don’t remember many people projecting Giannis to be a top 3 player in the league after his rookie year.
I'm not comparing him to Giannis of today. Giannis always had unicorn potential. Different skillets. Bagley has superstar potential too but he's simply not going to be a ball handling/playmaking wizard.

I'm not comparing him to Giannis of today. Giannis always had unicorn potential. Different skillets. Bagley has superstar potential too but he's simply not going to be a ball handling/playmaking wizard.
That’s fine you believe that. But the reality is nobody really knows what MB3 is or isn’t going to become. The canvas is still being painted.

While you may be right, @kb02 and @Mass could be on to something too. MB3 has flashed so many skills already at 19, his potential is seemingly as high as anyone’s especially if he works extra hard at it. Who knows what the end result might be.

Marvin is showing his complete game as a rookie. The only thing as impressive as his game against the Spurs was the interview after wards. He said everything you want to hear from a rookie. He is humble, he appreciates the fans and he loves Sacto.

HIs level of improvement is faster than any player I have ever seen.

He’s more of a mixture of Chris Bosh and Giannis but not quite exactly like either. All players are amalgamations of prior players.

No one player is like the other. But multiple players can be great in their own right and it’s almost by necessity that each one is uniquely great.

He clearly looks like he’s on the “trajectory” to be a franchise talent and there are very few of those on the planet.

He's more explosive than Bosh. His best comp is AD. When I was scouting this kid, the only limiting variable to his game and the rate at which he would develop into stardom was dependent upon how expansive his game would become away from the hoop. The more areas of the floor which he could attack the more viable and versatile of a threat. This would set up going to work on the interior. Basketball is simple because it is a game of speed and power (along with fundamentals), or think quickness and strength. All great players have this combination. Your first step is a proxy for speed or quickness.

Harden who we see next could go down as the greatest scorer in NBA history. Don't @ me about his foul baiting, I am aware of it, I don't like it either, but that is being smart as much as cheap. Harden has surpassed Kobe and LeBron as a scorer. He's in the realm with prime Jordan. Now here's why I bring him up Harden in the context Bagley. When you try to crowd Harden he will drive through you (strength). When you give him space he will go by you (speed). When you have this combo of traits to go with the fundamentals (shooting, passing, dribbling), the defense doesn't know what to do with you. They are helpless to stop you. Bagley has an elite combination of speed and power game. Harden is a power guard with underrated first step. He's more of a power guard than Kobe and Jordan. For Bagley he will get more powerful when he adds 10-15 pounds of muscle. But he has that foundation in place. So many fans would not see a correlation between the Beard and Bagley but it exists!

The Spurs had to play off MB3 because of his first step. So he can take the open shot and if they crowd him, he goes through them. This is what Harden does too. There are fans saying Bagley holds the ball too long. I don't think so. He's sizing up the defense to make the highest percentage play. In his mind it is not if he is going to make a play it is how he is going to make it. All of this is to say no one should be particularly surprised by the game Bagley had last night. All the tools are in place, including the work ethic to refine his jumper.

That’s fine you believe that. But the reality is nobody really knows what MB3 is or isn’t going to become. The canvas is still being painted.

While you may be right, @kb02 and @Mass could be on to something too. MB3 has flashed so many skills already at 19, his potential is seemingly as high as anyone’s especially if he works extra hard at it. Who knows what the end result might be.
The "nobody really knows" argument is not valid, it can be applied to literally any young player. It's not an argument for anything.

I'm not putting a cap on Bagley's potential, don't get it twisted. He might end up being better than Giannis. He's definitely not going to be the passer or ball handler he is though, no more than Fox is going to be the shooter Steph is. Different skillets, it's not hard at all to see.

The one thing that you can’t teach is size and athleticism. Giannis has it, Bags has it too.

The other stuff, he’s already flashing. N he’s going to continue to develop.

It’s not unreasonable to see him grabbing a board n going full court or him facing up n driving n dishing.

He’s not going to be a lead guard, but it’s easy to see him attacking n euro stepping to the rim like Giannis (who is also mostly one handed).

The one thing that you can’t teach is size and athleticism. Giannis has it, Bags has it too.

The other stuff, he’s already flashing. N he’s going to continue to develop.

It’s not unreasonable to see him grabbing a board n going full court or him facing up n driving n dishing.

He’s not going to be a lead guard, but it’s easy to see him attacking n euro stepping to the rim like Giannis (who is also mostly one handed).
Well I don't disagree with this. I thought you were saying he'd be a 7+ APG facilitator.

He's already shown he can go coast to coast with the ball. He'll develop his handles and passing, without a doubt. He's just not going to be a Giannis type of player and that's OK.

Well I don't disagree with this. I thought you were saying he'd be a 7+ APG facilitator.

He's already shown he can go coast to coast with the ball. He'll develop his handles and passing, without a doubt. He's just not going to be a Giannis type of player and that's OK.
I’ve always felt that a player can improve his shooting, handles, n IQ.

The things you can’t teach are size, athleticism, n wiring.

N the thing that you can’t measure is drive n work ethic.

He’s already showing that the wiring is there. He’s looking to pass, shooting threes n mid ranges, jumping before the opponent. My fave play was the put back dunk in the fourth. Watch it. Bags jumps almost a full second before Bertrand. You can’t teach that. It’s throwing before the receiver is open type of sh*t.

And the work ethic is evident from his improvement within the year.

He’s special. We’re lucky. Enjoy the next ten yrs.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I said it when we drafted him. The best comp I can come up with is Dr. J. That 180 he did for the slam is vintage Dr. J. I'll tell you something that I really think Bagley could do that Dr. J did in fact do: He could go high for a rebound, do a 180, and fire a length of the court pass for a Kings' layup.

The thing that almost awes me is his confidence. This kid isn't bashful. And he's got the good to back it up. There are no guarantees in life, but barring injury his outside shooting will get considerably better, his handle considerably better, even his passing will get much better, not to much his defense. His biggest adjustment going forward his how he handles double teams. Because he will get doubled, that's for sure.

I said it when we drafted him. The best comp I can come up with is Dr. J. That 180 he did for the slam is vintage Dr. J. I'll tell you something that I really think Bagley could do that Dr. J did in fact do: He could go high for a rebound, do a 180, and fire a length of the court pass for a Kings' layup.

The thing that almost awes me is his confidence. This kid isn't bashful. And he's got the good to back it up. There are no guarantees in life, but barring injury his outside shooting will get considerably better, his handle considerably better, even his passing will get much better, not to much his defense. His biggest adjustment going forward his how he handles double teams. Because he will get doubled, that's for sure.
Honestly, based on his year at Duke (and the disaster of summer league) I didn't expect his post game to be as advanced as it. Footwork is solid and he has great touch around the basket. Add to that his pursuit on the offensive boards and it feels like his post touches should eventually end up in 60%+ scoring efficiency.