Martin not wrong for playing in local tournament

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060608/SPORTS/606080309/1006

Martin not wrong for playing in local Gus Macker
by Sam Blackburn
Published June 8, 2006

When asked why he continues to play in the Zanesville Gus Macker, despite his lofty status for NBA's Sacramento Kings, Kevin Martin had a simple answer.

"I want to give people the chance to see me play who normally wouldn't get to," he said this past weekend. "There are a lot of people who don't see me during the season because of the (west coast) time difference, or because they don't get the NBA season (TV) package. This gives them a chance to see what I can do."

Yet many still questioned why. They wondered why he risked the chance of a career-threatening injury over a few games of glorified street ball. After all, it only takes one player with a jealous bone, a conscience to match and one undercut below the basket to end everything. For that matter, it takes only one misstep on a slick court, or a move in the wrong direction to wrench an ACL.

These are legitimate concerns from people who care about Martin's future. And while he appreciates the hometown fans' concerns, he's politely made it clear that he's plenty old enough to make his own decisions.

"I could get hurt playing anywhere," Martin said. "I could get hurt playing or working out back home. You can't worry about that. I play basketball all of the time. This isn't any different than anywhere else."

It should be noted, however, that while Martin has played in the Gus Macker for years, he doesn't exactly dive after loose balls or take charges. He'll be the first to admit that playing defense in these games isn't one of his priorities. And he was on the Top Court, where players were on a plastic surface, rather than concrete.

It's important for everyone to understand that Martin is going to do what he wants. You could complain and criticize him for playing until doomsday. At the end of the day, he's going to do his own thing, and he'll be back doing the same thing next year.

Bottom line: People should respect his intelligence, not question it.

In Martin, you're talking about a man with tremendous loyalty, both to his friends and his hometown. If he says coming home and playing with his college friends is important, take him for his word. If he says he knows what he is doing, and isn't overly concerned, perhaps you should listen. He's played basketball his entire life. I think he knows when to draw the line. We're talking about a college-educated millionaire here, not someone who can't see beyond the competition.

"Over the summer (Kings assistant coach Pete) Carril said to play 3-on-3 and 4-on-4. Everything doesn't have to be structured 5-on-5," Martin explained. "Games like that, you have more room to make your cuts and things like that, and you can still take that with you to 5-on-5."

For those unfamiliar, Carril is the legendary former Princeton coach who, along with Zanesville High coach Scott Aronhalt, are probably the most instrumental figures in Martin's development as a basketball player. If Carril says it's okay to kick it old school with the boys back home in a 3-on-3 tournament, no one in Zanesville is going to tell him it's not.

And quite frankly, his playing was purely for entertainment purposes only, offering a source of diversion from the pressure cooker that is NBA basketball.

He really likes the kids and the fans who seek his signature. It's his way of giving back, which is something we should all be proud of as Zanesvillians.

So relax already. There are a lot bigger issues to worry about.
------------------------------------------------
This is from the Zanesville Times Recorder. Apparently some of his hometown folk were a little concerned about Kevin; sounds like some of the stuff we've fretted over.

;)

K-Mart made a good point. Sure the risk of getting injured is always there. But then again, you could get injured anywhere doing pretty much anything.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wuster said:
Can you tell it's the off-season? Writers must be desperate for material.
Sam Blackburn has been following Kevin's career for years. The Zanesville Times-Recorder is the local paper for Kevin's home town. I think he was writing this to address specific comments and concerns by the folks at home, so to speak... Nothing wrong with that as far as I can tell.

;)

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Wuster said:
Can you tell it's the off-season? Writers must be desperate for material.

Well, its also a Zanesville writer, so I assume (never having been there) that Kevin is just about as big of local news as you're going to get in those parts.

In any case, a tournament at this level is nto even a concern -- guys have to play in the summer at some point. Nowhere near the competitiveness or immense time committment of an NT tournament. And last time I checked this is the same guy going to play summer league again without complaaints (that I know of). Just a non-issue. Now in 2 years, if he continues to progress and it comes time to get a new contract, if I were his agent I would tie him to his chair, jam a bedpan under his ***, and not let him up until the contract was signed in July. Right now though? Kid has to play and get better. Literally years of basketball to go before anything that happens has an effect on his bottom line.

Let the guy play the sport he loves. There really is nothing we can do about it and basketball players have to play on a steady basis, especially younger guys like Martin who is trying to get better.

Hm, so it's OK for Martin to play thugball, but it was not OK for Pedja or Vlade or Hedo to represent their countries in the international FIBA competitions ? Weird.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
sloter said:
Hm, so it's OK for Martin to play thugball, but it was not OK for Pedja or Vlade or Hedo to represent their countries in the international FIBA competitions ? Weird.

Thugball? In Zanesville?

I suspect its closer to "its ok for Martin to play a couple of games of what for him should be pickup ball" with minimal practicetime.

FAR cry from 1-2 months spent training/playing NT ball with a whole nation demanding you lay it all on the line.

Bricklayer said:
Thugball? In Zanesville?

I suspect its closer to "its ok for Martin to play a couple of games of what for him should be pickup ball" with minimal practicetime.

FAR cry from 1-2 months spent training/playing NT ball with a whole nation demanding you lay it all on the line.
Furthermore, I don't think that Kevin Martin will be playing far harder for his pickup team than he ever played for the Sacramento Kings.

The Macker is hardly the same as the NT tourney. It's like 2 days. As soon as it started to rain a bit, Kevin said he was done, didn't want to risk anything on a slick court. He's probably got far more potential for injury in either summer league or the SPDL camp, both of which he will be playing in, or for that matter, in one of his daily practice sessions. He's pretty resiliant anyway.

And I don't see him being too tired from it either

I think its great that Martin honors his hometown by giving back to the community. Such a small thing, really, that gives so much enjoyment to a lot of people. Glad Zanesville produced such a talented player and a fine young man and we get to enjoy him as a Sacramento King. :D

KMart's Best Friend in the ABA

Sup yall! KMart took it home for the gus macker tourney in zanesville ohio last week and I see folks is really stressin da pros and cons of his participation. Let da man play. Dats his hometown, his fam and his boyz. We ready for him to be back in sac tho. I guarantee da macker don't hold a candle to summer league or training camp. For those who missed it, da info iz on da front page at WWW.KINGS.COM.

And i just saw dis post in anotha bball forum:

Check out updates on Terrence Woodyard (ABA Atlanta Vision - No. 26) along with other former Western Carolina University players, Kevin Martin (NBA Sacramento Kings - No. 23) and Willie Freeman (overseas hoopstar): CLICK HERE

Highlights from the Gus Macker Tournament in Zanesville, Ohio, June 3-4 (2006) are available under Recent News on the homepage and in the Press Room at TerrenceWoodyard.com!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sup yall! KMart took it home for the gus macker tourney in zanesville ohio last week and I see folks is really stressin da pros and cons of his participation. Let da man play. Dats his hometown, his fam and his boyz. We ready for him to be back in sac tho. I guarantee da macker don't hold a candle to summer league or training camp. For those who missed it, da info iz on da front page at WWW.KINGS.COM.
Thanks. If you look above, you'll see we're already talking about that. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No problem.

You've stumbled across the one Kings board that has some pretty good ties to Kev already established. Several of his family members read/post here and a few of our members have gotten to know the family and Kev pretty well.

Those who weren't quite sure of his potential for the NBA have pretty much become believers.

:D

One of my boyz got his autograph last year during a promotional event in ARCO. Das about as close as ive come to meeting him. I wasnt convinced of his potential back then, but i am a believer now. Cant wait fo next season.

On vacation in the east. Wont have time fo this when i return to the workin world so postin while i can. :p More importantly dis is off topic but how do i get a little icon fo my profile? :confused:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If the poster is, in fact, none other than Terrence Woodyard (or anyone else associated with that site), it would have been nice for him to be a little less deceptive in his posting of the link to his own site.

;)

:eek: Aight. Dis aint Tdot. and thats whats real cause he aint even in the whee aka cullowhee anymore since u can see my locale and what not. i heard hes in tampa wit kev right now but anywayz dis is one of they boyz. Im just proud of them 3 nigs. Their repping western carolina big right now. i saw dat post bout th site a catamount fan mesage board so i want 2 contniue the plug. i just aint want to come up on this board all groupie like braggin bout how i know them. I am a Kings fan though, but fo only one reason..'04 draft pick 26. Guess the spam was lame. My bootleg aplogies. holla atcha boy.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
:eek: Aight. Dis aint Tdot. and thats whats real cause he aint even in the whee aka cullowhee anymore since u can see my locale and what not. i heard hes in tampa wit kev right now but anywayz dis is one of they boyz. Im just proud of them 3 nigs. Their repping western carolina big right now. i saw dat post bout th site a catamount fan mesage board so i want 2 contniue the plug. i just aint want to come up on this board all groupie like braggin bout how i know them. I am a Kings fan though, but fo only one reason..'04 draft pick 26. Guess the spam was lame. My bootleg aplogies. holla atcha boy.
:confused:

You're kidding, right? I think I can speak for pretty much the whole board when I ask you to please drop the "ghetto" talk and just speak English. Thanks ever so.