Marshall signs with the CAvs

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/50126.htm

Perhaps to force the situation to a conclusion, the Nets yesterday increased their courtship of Memphis free agent power forward Stromile Swift. But after the Nets received assurances from Abdur-Rahim that he wanted to play in New Jersey, Swift signed with Houston. The Nets' third power-forward option, Dontyell Marshall, agreed to terms with Cleveland

C Zydrunas Ilgauskas
PF Donyell Marshall, Drew Gooden, Anderson Varejao
SF Lebron James
SG Larry Hughes, Ira Newble, Luke Jackson, Aleksandar Pavlovic
PG Eric Snow

Not a bad lineup. Still needs more balance though. They need a good shooter in guard position, since Hughes is pretty erratic. Outside shooting now pretty much is handled by Marshall..

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Kajun said:
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas
SF Lebron James
PG Eric Snow

Not a bad lineup. Still needs more balance though. They need a good shooter in guard position, since Hughes is pretty erratic. Outside shooting now pretty much is handled by Marshall..
They're better, but I have too give a big thumbs sideways and maybe even down on Danny Ferry's first, and critical, offseason as GM. What he SHOULD have been doing was building a young core to put around LeBron and let them grow into something special. Instead he is wasting time collecting aging vets that will be on the downhill slide by the time LeBron is in his prime, and basically betting the whole youth movement farm on one formerly erratic player in Hughes.

That's a very capable offensive lineup. However, unless LJ has dramatically improved his shooting, they could face problems in that dept. Also not a very intimidating frontline, but you can see they are making strides.

Bricklayer said:
They're better, but I have too give a big thumbs sideways and maybe even down on Danny Ferry's first, and critical, offseason as GM. What he SHOULD have been doing was building a young core to put around LeBron and let them grow into something special. Instead he is wasting time collecting aging vets that will be on the downhill slide by the time LeBron is in his prime, and basically betting the whole youth movement farm on one formerly erratic player in Hughes.
True, but given the free agent market, I'm not sure if he could have done much better. They didn't have the most money, and there wasn't anything spectacular on the market. The "young core", as you mentioned, would have to come from over the years, definitely not from just this year's acquisitions.

A potential reason for these seemingly hasty moves on Ferry's part, is that he has to keep Lebron happy. Lebron's probably thinking: 'hey, if things don't improve right now...I will look for a franchise where they do have a future'.

Most of the GMs would probably jump on the opportunity to bring in immediate reinforcements, even if waiting a season or two might offer better players on the market. It seems a bit of a trend in the NBA, alongside the "overpaying" for contracts.

I don't think it's a bad thing they signed Marshall. It's definitely a temporary solution, until they will find something better. I mean, otherwise they would have had just Drew Gooden there.

Can't really fault them for re-signing Zydrunas either.

Curry and Chandler would have been nice, but rather improbably given their restricted free agency.

Bricklayer

A better plan would have been to sing Swift, sign and trade Z for another young guy from a team who wants a center. And still had the Big Z cap space (before the sign and trade) to grab another guy. Gone young. Instead they are once again mismatched parts. Doesn't look like much of a plan.

Kajun said:
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas
SF Lebron James
PG Eric Snow

mcinnis?

Bricklayer said:
A better plan would have been to sing Swift, sign and trade Z for another young guy from a team who wants a center. And still had the Big Z cap space (before the sign and trade) to grab another guy. Gone young. Instead they are once again mismatched parts. Doesn't look like much of a plan.
Without Z, they would have no center at all. There's really not much to replace him with. Swift would have nice for sure, but the Cavs weren't the only ones who wanted him. IMO, at this moment, things are looking better in Houston than in Cleveland.

kingkung said:
Not sure if he will return (or has returned).

Kajun said:
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas
SF Lebron James
PG Eric Snow

Hmmm... looks like they're overloaded at the SG and PF spots, precisely the positions the Kings are weakest at. Your move, Geoff?

I've always thought Marshall was a great player when he's healthy. I think this move, (if he stays healthy) makes them a top 4 or 5 team in the East next year. The guy can be a rebounding machine. Why didn't the kings try something to go after him?

i just wish that at least one of the different options we were discussing that could potentially happen would...it seems like free agent signing or sign and trades are getting less likely to happen with each passing week....come on Petrie, we all need to see some positive change here

Kajun said:
C Zydrunas Ilgauskas
SF Lebron James
PG Eric Snow

Uh-Oh, LeBron's got some quality help now, that is one scary thought...

Not a bad lineup? This team would smack us senseless! Bron and Hughes will only get better as they gain more experience( and chemistry), Z will be Z, and I have watched enough Raps game to know that Marshall can should the lights out.

This team is a contender, plain and simple.

Last edited:
FrenchCanadianKING said:
Not a bad lineup? This team would smack us senseless! Bron and Hughes will only get better as they gain more experience( and chemistry), Z will be Z, and I have watched enough Raps game to know that Marshall can should the lights out.

being able to "smack us senseless" does not neccesarily translate into being a championship contender

Bricklayer

FrenchCanadianKING said:

Unlikely unless LeBron continues his meteoric rise. Basically they are one player (Hughes) and a 6th man better than last year's also ran status. If Hughes can duplicate his Washington stats they'll be tough. If not, and of course there are always injuries with him too, they'll be better, but not dramatically so.

Keys to goodness:
Snow regains form
Hughes plays at same level as last year
LeBron continue getting exponentuially better, threatens 30ppg.
Gooden improves some
Big Z stays steady, does not get hurt
Donyell is 6th man

Snow/Hughes team to really raise perimeter defensive intensity, Marshall/Big Z take care of shotblocking. Couold break 50 wins if it all bounces right.

More likely, the team will still be in need of a PG and a shooter. Hence I hereby propose to the Cavs a Bibby/Peja for LeBron swap -- then they'll be complete. :D

acisking,

Did i say that 1+2=3? dont think so

The Sonics smacked us and they're not a contender...

All I'm saying is the Cavs(as of right now) have a very dangerous team and with LeBron the soon to be best player in the world and his unselfishness mindset Cleveland is bound to achieve great things...

I mean how can u not achieve great things? you got talent and an unselfish leader that loves to get teammates involved.

Of course injuries happen but they can happen to everybody... they could bite CLE in the butt just like it could bite Wade, JO, Shaq in the butt which would help the Cavs...

Worst case scenario, 4th in the east

Last edited:

Bricklayer

As an aside, here would be an interesting way to go -- interesting to me at least. Start Marshall...at SF. Go Hughes/James/Marshall/Gooden/Big Z and just ANNIHILATE teams on the glass and in the post. Have teams outsized at every position but PF. Hughes and James together are good enough ballhandlers and passers to maybe make it work. That would be interesting.

Bricklayer said:
As an aside, here would be an interesting way to go -- interesting to me at least. Start Marshall...at SF. Go Hughes/James/Marshall/Gooden/Big Z and just ANNIHILATE teams on the glass and in the post. Have teams outsized at every position but PF. Hughes and James together are good enough ballhandlers and passers to maybe make it work. That would be interesting.
I too can see that happening... but depth wise it's not the best of ideas although it would be their most dangerous starting 5

pretty good idea Brick

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

i dont know why, but i still dont see them making the playoffs.... the knicks have a better chance of making it than they do....

Bricklayer said:
More likely, the team will still be in need of a PG and a shooter. Hence I hereby propose to the Cavs a Bibby/Peja for LeBron swap -- then they'll be complete. :D
Aren't the Cavs pursuing Jaric?

Bricklayer said:
Definitely. Hughes can be a bit of a ballhog though, it will be interesting to see how the ball will be distributed.

Bricklayer

Well here's the interesting thing -- I just realized we are having this entire discussion based on a one liner from the NY Post of all publications. The Post is only a half step up from "Alien Bat Baby Mates With Transvestite Nanny" headlines.

I had heard the Cavs were looking at Jaric, and earlier at other PGs. But they really cannot stil be if the Marshall signing is true (out of money). But when the Post is the only source, and none of the other major sites have picked it up, perhaps we are jumping the gun a bit.

Bricklayer said:
Well here's the interesting thing -- I just realized we are having this entire discussion based on a one liner from the NY Post of all publications. The Post is only a half step up from "Alien Bat Baby Mates With Transvestite Nanny" headlines.

I had heard the Cavs were looking at Jaric, and earlier at other PGs. But they really cannot stil be if the Marshall signing is true (out of money). But when the Post is the only source, and none of the other major sites have picked it up, perhaps we are jumping the gun a bit.
Hmm, you're right.

I'm not as familiar with the differences in quality upheld by American newspapers.

Wow Cavs are gonna rock this year!! Too bad though, Marshall will get signed, i wanted him to go to the Kings.

Cavs will be from a no playoff team to a division winner, and IMO a championship contender....

Excellent move. They add shooting and legit size at the 4. Now Gooden is expendable, they'll probably use him to add another point guard.

AriesMar27 said:
i dont know why, but i still dont see them making the playoffs.... the knicks have a better chance of making it than they do....
Are you serious? The east is still not that loaded. The only definites are Detroit, Miami, and Indiana. Boston, Nets and Chicago will probally make the playoffs if they stay healthy. Next you have the Cavs, Knicks (eh), Washington, Philly as question marks and Milwaukee and Orlando as a brink teams with Atlanta, Toronto and Charlotte out of the question. 10 teams battling for 8 spots, I think the Cavs have a real good shot at beating out Washington now that Hughes is gone, Philly since Dalembert is still a question mark and as much as I love Webber, he's no guarantee, and the Knicks, a team that every years spends a ton of money because they are "going to" make the playoffs and then doesn't.

What exactly have they done to improve there chances, trade one of there best players for Phoenix's worst starter. Wow, Jerome "trash bag" James, Sweetney, Q, Crawford, Marbury starting lineup with Ariza, Rose, Jerome Williams, Tim Thomas, Maurice Taylor, Penny, and Houston coming off the bench (that's 55 million on the bench ALONE, pretty sick).

I only wish Petrie was listening. I would trade Bibby, Peja, and maybe one more guy for Lebron. The guy is a stud. And about the Cavs needing a 3 point shooter. Have you paid attention to Marshall's game in the last couple of years. Again, when he is healthy, he can knock 3's down with the best of them, not to mention his shot blocking ability and rebounding. If we're lucky, maybe the cavs are looking at starting him and trading us Gooden. I think he would be a nice pick up. He's improved his game ever year and the guy's got atheltisicm something the Kings lack. Anybody else agree?

Bricklayer

uopmatt said:
I only wish Petrie was listening. I would trade Bibby, Peja, and maybe one more guy for Lebron. The guy is a stud. And about the Cavs needing a 3 point shooter. Have you paid attention to Marshall's game in the last couple of years. Again, when he is healthy, he can knock 3's down with the best of them, not to mention his shot blocking ability and rebounding. If we're lucky, maybe the cavs are looking at starting him and trading us Gooden. I think he would be a nice pick up. He's improved his game ever year and the guy's got atheltisicm something the Kings lack. Anybody else agree?
Well of course I agree -- I have said in the past I would trade the whole damn team, waterboys included (but not the RCD :) ) to get LeBron. He's going to be in the hunt for a long long time. But you might as well try to trade for God. So enticing is the prospect of a Jordanesque reign as the greatest player on the planet that I don't think there is any possible player, or combination of players Cleveland would take in return at this point.

uopmatt said:
How often do superstars get traded from small market to small market teams? It just doesn't happen. Lebron is a top 5 player, is only what 20 years old with 15 or more years of possibly healthy playing time. You'd have to trade everything we have for the guy and we'd be in worse shape than the Cavs are in right now (which really isn't that bad).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:

Leaping right off assumption cliff and firmly into conclusion gulch...

;)